watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Chalobah and Quina

Started by FulhamStu, October 14, 2021, 08:40:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FulhamStu

I have yet to decide how good these 2 are.  My initial response has been favourable but also a little frustrated with Chalobah and dissapointed by Quina.  Surely with Cairney and Carvalho injured the scene was set for Quina to come in and make an impression, this has just not happened.

As for Chalobah, I see him as a 6 or 8, Seri seems to have the 6 tied up and Reed we know can be excellent.  The 8 role however has not really been grasped from Anguissa and Chalobah should surely be competing hard with Onomah for that position.  Personally I am not sure Onomah has the engine or defensive capability for the 8 position and Chalobah in theory should be given the shirt, injury has not helped but I think he is now fit.

Seems crazy to leave out Reed but for now my midfield 3 would be Seri Chalobah and Carvalho.  Reed to replace Chalobah if we need to go a bit more defensive.  Onomah to challenge Carvalho for the 10 role until Cairney is fit.

Jim©

Chalobah, when I watched him for Watford was a real driving force and filled in the roles that Doucoure and Capoue left. He played the vast majority of games for them over the past 2 years in the holding midfield role (alongside one other).
I'm not 100% decided on who is better between him and Reed, different players perhaps for different opposition.

I wonder how he'll feel after being played every match to sitting ont he sidelines. Maybe it'll give him a push or maybe it'll get him annoyed?!

WestSussexWhite

I think a big issue for both of them is they were frozen out at Watford and as a result had no pre-season. Always hard to get up to match fitness during the season

filham

Our midfield is not functioning and no one has filled the gaps left by Carvalho and Cairney. Chalobah and Quina should have stepped in to take over but have failed. They are both Silva signings so it is now down to him to get them up to speed.

MikeTheCubed

Reed & Seri are probably the best 2 'holding' midfielders on paper, but are both small in stature and prone to being physically bullied as a pair, especially with Carvalho or Wilson playing in advance of them in the hole. Chalobah therefore seems like the natural solution to mitigate this potential problem, he looked decent against Birmingham but disappointed afterwards, probably not fully fit yet.

While it's still way too early to write-off a 21 year old, to me Quina has looked like a complete headless chicken thus far. His stats for goals & assists even at youth level are underwhelming, especially when compared to Carvalho's. He does seem to possess good pace so may be useful as a late sub in counter-attacking scenarios.

Lordedmundo

Quote from: MikeTheCubed on October 14, 2021, 10:15:50 AM
Reed & Seri are probably the best 2 'holding' midfielders on paper, but are both small in stature and prone to being physically bullied as a pair, especially with Carvalho or Wilson playing in advance of them in the hole. Chalobah therefore seems like the natural solution to mitigate this potential problem, he looked decent against Birmingham but disappointed afterwards, probably not fully fit yet.

While it's still way too early to write-off a 21 year old, to me Quina has looked like a complete headless chicken thus far. His stats for goals & assists even at youth level are underwhelming, especially when compared to Carvalho's. He does seem to possess good pace so may be useful as a late sub in counter-attacking scenarios.

This exactly how I see it. I hope that Chalobah can really challenge for a place with Reed and Seri and be a consistent performer.  He will almost certainly be given a chance now with Onomah letting himself down in the last game.

I really hope we see 'something' from Quina - let's hope his total lack of impact is down to a lack of fitness/sharpness.

As it stands, I think Francois should also have a pathway back into the team - we saw how well he linked up with Carvalho earlier in the season, so you could argue that he has been missed as well...

colinwhite

Agree with you Stu. Harrison Reid ,for me ,is good when we are under pressure but not that great when we have lot of the ball. Chabola played more passes behind opposition defenses in a couple of appearances than Anguissa ,Reid etc have in several seasons .

epsomraver

Quote from: WestSussexWhite on October 14, 2021, 09:45:57 AM
I think a big issue for both of them is they were frozen out at Watford and as a result had no pre-season. Always hard to get up to match fitness during the season
0001.jpeg spot on, people think they can get match fit in a week, how can the OR judge them when they havent played more than a hour is beyond me.

General

I think chalobah has shown potential, but like the rest of the squad for some reason hasn't shown consistency.

Quina so far had fallen flat and done poorly.

If neither had a pre season then I'll give both the benefit of the doubt.. but that's the impression so far.

Ruislip White

Chalobah has looked good at times.  Is also a big physical presence.  Have seen nothing from Quina apart from poor touch so far.
Chalobah are Reed feel like the optimal pairing.

Dr Quinzel

Chalobah I really like. I'd like to see him get more gametime.

I'm yet to see Quina have a touch of the ball where I think 'that was OK'. He's just been a lost boy out there and I barely noticed him on the ball.

FulhamStu

Quote from: epsomraver on October 14, 2021, 01:52:33 PM
0001.jpeg spot on, people think they can get match fit in a week, how can the OR judge them when they havent played more than a hour is beyond me.

Errr, if by OR you mean me... I said, I have yet to decide how good they are.   I am hoping we soon see very good things from at least Chalobah.

Woolly Mammoth

Why sign players that are not fit enough to play a football match, and then waste time waiting for them to get fit. When there are players that are fit to play.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Whitestone

Does anyone actually know for certain whether or not Chalobah and Quina had a full pre-season at Watford or is it just a rumour that they didn't ?
These things have a habit of becoming factual quite quickly with very little substance sometimes. 
In any case they've been with us for sufficient time to get their fitness up to speed so no real concerns there and Chalobah looks like a good acquisition from what I've seen of him so far.

filham

Quote from: epsomraver on October 14, 2021, 01:52:33 PM

A poor excuse, if we new it would take over a quarter of a season  for them to get match fit then it is questionable if it was worth signing them.

@jolslover

Quote from: filham on October 14, 2021, 10:00:55 AM
Our midfield is not functioning and no one has filled the gaps left by Carvalho and Cairney. Chalobah and Quina should have stepped in to take over but have failed. They are both Silva signings so it is now down to him to get them up to speed.

What do you mean they have failed they have played about 3 games each. Chalobah was class vs. Birmingham and Quina had a good game in the cup. I think they are both good players
STH H3

FFCBadger

Agree jolslover (being Jol's lover is a tough jig btw, stay strong)

The key to these two is Silva, they are quality and our midfield is so strong so for me they just need game time to build their confidence. If Silva can find a way to rotate without risking points we'll be cool.
Thing is though, they aren't first choice IMO so their time will be in pressure situations and if they screw up, in the Championship, its all over.

I  get why we signed them, it's the Watford connection. But I'd much rather we tee'd up our academy players so for me the whole situation is a bit short sighted.

JackHamlet90

I think Chalobah will come good he will impress by the end of the season. Meant Quina to do well but have a feeling he will struggle with Cairney now back fit & Carvalho on the way back.
If he can't get in the line up now he has no chance soon