more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The def is just not good Enough

Started by Rodshig, October 04, 2021, 08:49:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodshig

Our defence is just not good enough.

Title winning teams are built on strong defences and i am afraid we don't have that.

When the team is having an off day, a good def is needed to scrap out a 0-0 draw.

I not a Ream fan, the sooner we build a back 4 without him the better.

Robinson's def quality is questionable. Attacking wise not much returns as well.

Tete is an important player.

A 3-4-3 formation with wing backs?

RaySmith

Quote from: Rodshig on October 04, 2021, 08:49:30 AM
Our defence is just not good enough.

Title winning teams are built on strong defences and i am afraid we don't have that.

When the team is having an off day, a good def is needed to scrap out a 0-0 draw.

I not a Ream fan, the sooner we build a back 4 without him the better.

Robinson's def quality is questionable. Attacking wise not much returns as well.

Tete is an important player.

A 3-4-3 formation with wing backs?

Who  would you play alongside Tete?

Jim©

Before Saturday's debacle, our defensive stats were amongst the best in the division.

I haven't been one of those on Gazza's case, but i'm not sure he's helping much. The pass out to Ream that Cov scored from was poor and the main reason we didn't start the half comfortably.
Of the last 6 shots on target, 5 have ended up as goals. He's made one save from those. He's currently 18th in the division on save %, which isn't good enough if you're looking for automatic promotion.

I prefer Tete to Odoi (as he can cope better with Wilson not helping out defensively) and Bryan to Robinson (as he can pass a ball in a straight line 3 meters away). Ream or Mawson is of little difference to me.

Whitestone

The common denominator is the repeated selection of Ream and Odoi. Our defence with these two together has been an issue for far too long now. It's time to give Mawson an extended run at left CB and bring in Christie from the cold until the return of Tete.
The Gazza situation is a bit of a conundrum for the manager because Gazza was his signing. I was surprised we signed him when we already had Rodak. I've supported the managers selection to date and although Gazza hasn't been great he hasn't been horrendous either. My gut feeling though  is that it is time for Rodak to be given his opportunity.

WindyCity

The OP has a good point.  I agree the defense has been very disappointing so far this season.  Heading into the campaign, I had felt that FFC defense would be one of the strong points in the squad, if not the strongest.  Most of the regulars have disappointed so far and come up short.  Not sure what the solution is, but Silva has to consider options available to him, such as new keeper, different players making up back four/five.

Somerset Fulham

Before getting hammered on Saturday we around the tightest defences in the league.

People need to chill the f:ck out. Honestly.

Whitestone

Two clean sheets in eleven games isn't top two stuff and not what I'd describe as particularly tight defence.

JimmyConway

The problem i see is Ream and Odoi both good servants but both have major flaws defensively in their game. I don't go with the his done it before in this division stance because he done it over 4-5 months and is 3-4 years older. Why have we not had an offer for either since our playoff win against Villa? or why has neither sort to force a move away for regular first team football?
What you also have to take into account is we have not had a very good goalie since Schwarzer someone who will get you 10 points or more during the season a goalie that gives his defence confidence allowing them to know they have someone reliable behind them and i don't see that with either the main two we currently have. 
We should of signed someone like Ruddy from Wolves pre season a very good consistent goalie who probably would of improved Rodak further whereas Gazzaniga will more than likely make Rodak worse without even playing as there is nothing to pick up on apart from mistakes!

WindyCity

Quote from: Whitestone on October 04, 2021, 03:56:58 PM
Two clean sheets in eleven games isn't top two stuff and not what I'd describe as particularly tight defence.

Additionally, two draws and three losses in those eleven games as a result isn't top two stuff.......

perry geyton

Our defense is solid, Ream & Tosin

Gazza is the missing link, it seems so obvious to me

Denver Fulham

I don't know that our "defense" is a problem as much as we give up 1-2 huge/stupid/needless chances a match and our keeper has rarely bailed us out to this point. It's a focus thing. We also have been without Tete and, on Saturday, without Tosin. That makes a difference. I'm Team Odoi, but he's obviously not as good as a quality Dutch international at RB. Missing out on Reggie Cannon and other targets at the deadline has hurt us.

My biggest concern is we seem to be mentally soft frontrunners. If we get up 1-0 or 2-0, we beat our chests. The minute there's any adversity, we have folded this season, and this has been a theme for multiple years now.

Donnie Lonegan

I've said it before, the last time we played Mawson Ream and Odoi in defence we got hammered every week
On Saturday we had those three in defence again, so it can be no surprise that we got hammered again.
Ream and Odoi in particular have been good servants for the club, but as long as we keep playing them our defence will be very suspect.
In all honesty, I'd like to see all three of them move on.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Donnie Lonegan on October 04, 2021, 06:14:20 PM
I've said it before, the last time we played Mawson Ream and Odoi in defence we got hammered every week
On Saturday we had those three in defence again, so it can be no surprise that we got hammered again.
Ream and Odoi in particular have been good servants for the club, but as long as we keep playing them our defence will be very suspect.
In all honesty, I'd like to see all three of them move on.

The last time we played Ream, Mawson and Odoi in defense every week was surely the first half of last promotion season (19/20 under Parker). I am pretty sure we very rarely got hammered that year, so I believe you are very wrong on that account.

Rodshig

Think it was evident today that the def is still shaky.  It may cost us auto promotion.