watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Steve Bruce

Started by JimmyConway, October 20, 2021, 11:03:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimmyConway

Just heard on the wireless that he has left Newcastle by mutual consent. With that in my i have always thought that he is one manager who has never had a distinctive style to his teams his managed. I have never heard it mentioned that's a Steve Bruce team?
Remember just before play off against Villa and it was all Bruce this Bruce that but i was as confident as you could be that Villa had no real pattern and relied heavily on Grealish even back then. You knew Fulham was a Slav team with a distinctive style!
I have always thought he needs owners with deep pockets to be a somewhat successful manager as there is no substance to how he sets a team up and a playing style. I think his been quite fortunate in having all the managerial opportunities his had since retiring from playing.

gang

I tend to agree he has been lucky to get jobs.

Southcoastffc

Expect him to be on Cardiff's short list soon......
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

grandad

He never needs to work again, thank God many say. 60 years old with an 8 million pay off. He will now become a Sky pundit & join all the other useless ones.
Where there's a will there's a wife

bog

Jimmy. Glad to see you still use the term 'the wireless'.  :54:

092.gif

St Eve

I always thought that he was an honest manager and frankly keeping Newcastle in the premiership was an achievement

RaySmith

Quote from: St Eve on October 20, 2021, 12:39:50 PM
I always thought that he was an honest manager and frankly keeping Newcastle in the premiership was an achievement

Agree.

Twig

He's certainly had a tough job at Newcastle and has done ok fr them in the circumstances. He isn't a manager who plays with a a distinctive style, neither the dour or long ball stuff nor extreme tippy tappy possession. Just an honest hard working pro., not glamorous or a media type but a bit of a steady eddie.

perry geyton

I don't mind Steve Bruce, gets a lot of flack but has done reasonably well in management
I'd take him all day long over Mark Hughes
Good luck to him and F the Geordie Maggots

blingo

Quote from: perry geyton on October 20, 2021, 03:33:49 PM
I don't mind Steve Bruce, gets a lot of flack but has done reasonably well in management
I'd take him all day long over Mark Hughes
Good luck to him and F the Geordie Maggots

Not sure I'd want either tbh. If you want to know what Parker will be like at 60 look at Bruce.

General

Quote from: RaySmith on October 20, 2021, 01:02:41 PM

Agree.

+1 there's always been a huge entitlement about Newcastle with fans thinking they're a bigger club then they have actually been, bar the Kevin keegan era.. in my lifetime they've always been - well poor to average.., even getting relegated a few times.

They've also had a poor squad and an owner who they all hated but who ran the club to the point he could but didn't have the budget to compete anymore with big spenders. Think they forget that Ashley did a lot for them and was also partly the reason they've got the wealthiest owners in world football now.

Bruce did a decent job to keep them up last season.

H4usuallysitting

Let's watch the big 6 get the hump with them - they're going to buy trophy's.....will the superleague be making a resurgence...... it's going to be an interesting time

Dodgin

There was a time in the Fifties they won the FA Cup three times, I think then they had won it more than any other club. Steve Bruce seems an OK guy, who's taken a lot of stick.

Somerset Fulham

Dreadful manager that has stolen a living and shat on quite a number of his employers in the past as well. He has a dire brand of football and has produced nothing but averageness wherever he has gone.

He comes across as a reasonably nice guy (unless you are one of the clubs that he spaffed all over), but that's it.

Milo

I always liked Steve Bruce.

Came across as genuine.

Sting of the North

When posters say that he is an honest manager and has done quite well, what does that refer to? Is it what he did in the Championship more than a decade ago? And what does honest mean in this context?

Because when I watch his teams it is like they have no clue about what they are supposed to be doing, or why. At best he gets teams to look bang average, but mostly they look just poor. But that is just my opinion.

Dodgin

They love him down at Palace

MartyFFC

Never understood the stick that seems to be directed towards Steve Bruce. He's won four promotions to the PL, and took Birmingham and Sunderland to top 10 PL finishes. His record at Newcastle was pretty much identical to cult-hero Benitez, yet all he gets is abuse. Weird

bobby01

Another big pay day though.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

MartyFFC

Quote from: bobby01 on October 21, 2021, 11:14:53 AM
Another big pay day though.
8 million quid; let's not feel too sorry for the fella.....