Main Menu

Steve Bruce

Started by JimmyConway, October 20, 2021, 11:03:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

Quote from: MartyFFC on October 21, 2021, 11:20:43 AM
Quote from: bobby01 on October 21, 2021, 11:14:53 AM
Another big pay day though.
8 million quid; let's not feel too sorry for the fella.....
I always had time for Newcastle and their big fan base , Bruce always seemed a good honest manager to me as well.

Both seem to have hit the jackpot, Newcastle with the Saudi money and Bruce with the 8 million pay off. I may be changing my view of both of them.

HV71

Sting of the North
"And what does honest mean in this context? "
For me this is relatively simply - I have heard Bruce say on many occasions things like
"We were lucky to get away with that result today " or " It's not the players  - I set us up wrong " ( very much like Mick  MCarthy  saying " call the police  " after we trounced Ipswich. That is honest and most managers don't do this . There is the other type of " honest " and to give you a clue managers like Big Sam and Colin don't come close to filling that definition

FFC1987

Quote from: Sting of the North on October 20, 2021, 10:00:12 PM
When posters say that he is an honest manager and has done quite well, what does that refer to? Is it what he did in the Championship more than a decade ago? And what does honest mean in this context?

Because when I watch his teams it is like they have no clue about what they are supposed to be doing, or why. At best he gets teams to look bang average, but mostly they look just poor. But that is just my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan, but competing with Rafa's record at Newcastle, and managing to 13th last season with a fairly average side, is quite the achievement. He's limited, generally plays turgid football and hasn't lived up to expectations but he's done alright. Hell, we gave Parker may more credit for far less.

MartyFFC

If he changed his name to Paulo and learnt some Portuguese, I guarantee he would be held in far higher regard

The Rock

Quote from: St Eve on October 20, 2021, 12:39:50 PM
I always thought that he was an honest manager and frankly keeping Newcastle in the premiership was an achievement

I honestly think he just got lucky, because he surely didn't do much special. My Newcastle supporting friends were in disbelief the whole time that they somehow stayed up.

bobbo

Sticking in my mind to this day is when at Birmingham and playing us near the end of the season , I watched him direct Jermaine pennant to the other side of the pitch and then subbed him. So much for honesty eh.
Oh I forgot they were winning one nil.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

FFC1987

Quote from: bobbo on October 22, 2021, 12:31:43 PM
Sticking in my mind to this day is when at Birmingham and playing us near the end of the season , I watched him direct Jermaine pennant to the other side of the pitch and then subbed him. So much for honesty eh.

Not being funny, but we've been bloody dreadful for that sort of behaviour over the years.

St Eve

Quote from: bobbo on October 22, 2021, 12:31:43 PM
that has nothing to do with honesty. Gazzaniga wastes time if we are 1 up after 5 minutes.

bobbo

St eve and 1987 ,I take your point , but the topic is on Steve Bruce not gazzaniga or other of OUR players .

St Eve

Quote from: bobbo on October 23, 2021, 12:49:04 PM
St eve and 1987 ,I take your point , but the topic is on Steve Bruce not gazzaniga or other of OUR players .
But how does that make him dishonest?

bobbo

The issue I pointed out was cheating and if that's not dishonest then I don't know .

ron

"My P45 meant they wanted rid...
But told me I'd trouser eight million quid.
So I'll now take it easy; the Toon will fund it...
and maybe talk s***e as a TV pundit"

FFC1987

Quote from: bobbo on October 23, 2021, 01:48:18 PM
The issue I pointed out was cheating and if that's not dishonest then I don't know .

Fair enough. Seeing as every team do it, I just think its part of the game rather than specifically a Steve Bruce thing but each to their own.

bobbo

1987, I agree 100% they do all do it including us although being a bit biased I've not notice us do it .