A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Joe Bryan vs Antonee Robinson

Started by MartyFFC, October 22, 2021, 05:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do we think should be our first-choice LB?

Joe Bryan
Antonee Robinson

MartyFFC

Clearly the forum is awash with a rich tapestry of opinion on this one, as it should be. But who would you have in the starting XI? I realise these kind of polls could get very tedious very quickly if done too frequently, however am genuinely interested to see what the consensus of opinion is.......

Maidstone Lee

Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19

General

You've got two very competent defenders at this level and Robinson pace I've yet to see beaten.. that said its quite clear that the more polished finished article is Bryan at this moment in time. He's got better delivery, sticks to his defensive duties better and can still attack the wing, not to forget he can score goals.

As an all rounder Bryan is a more complete player.

I think Robinson relies too heavily on his pace at time to get him out of trouble. It's OK when you have it, and there are few faster if any.. but he needs to work more on his tackling and defensive duties and when he does get forward improve his final ball. He has been gently improving but hopefully he'll get better as it could make a huge difference.

Our best back five with everyone fit in my mind is

Rodak

Tete tosin kongolo Bryan

that's strong at this level. Then add mawson, Hector, Robinson and christie/odoi you've got very good options.

davew

Bryan for me, hope polls like this don't affect the loser too much! Both players are more than adequate for the Championship but if we get promoted again, we will need somebody better!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

MikeTheCubed

Not a lot in it. Bryan would probably be better in games we're expected to control & push the opposition back deep, where you often need a bit of technical quality or intricacy to unlock a defence. Whereas Robinson would probably be better in tougher games where we're put under more pressure and have more opportunities to counter attack.

On that basis Bryan would be preferred more often than not, though I would like to see more experimentation with them as a pair if too many of the attacking players are under-performing.

filham

Bryan for the next three matches then review the decision.
Robinson has the pace, and the team needs pace, but has generally disappointed in attack.

The Rational Fan

I would say both Robinson and Bryan are one of our best XI players.

Carborundum

Robinson.  Nothing wrong with Joe Bryan, nothing at all.  Robinson is just better at winning, clearly winning, his personal battle with the opposition winger.  Joe Bryan rarely loses his, but often a case of honours even.  Going forwards they offer different things and are reasonably effective.  Robinson will improve his decision making, Bryan won't get any quicker.

Whitestone

We are blessed to have two wonderful left backs but defensively Robinson is ahead of Bryan IMO. I've seen the criticism of him offensively but he's already scored two goals and I'd back him to score more. I think the focus should be on the other side of our defence where Odoi is currently deputising for Tete because that is currently the weakest area in the team.

MartyFFC

I've been particularly unimpressed by Robinson thus far. However, when you read about him being linked to Man City and AC Milan and being described as a 'wonder kid', either he has the best agent in the world; or there's a huge amount of unlocked potential. Here's for hoping for the latter - though for me it's Joe Bryan all day long, for now at least......

Luka

Robinson is a left back version of Kamara i.e. blessed as an athlete but not as a footballer.
Bryan on the other hand is a gifted footballer and a decent athlete that just needs the confidence to flurrish.
I'd always favour the footballer and would play Bryan over Robinson whenever fit.

Hugh Gentry

Quote from: MartyFFC on October 22, 2021, 07:46:07 PM
I've been particularly unimpressed by Robinson thus far. However, when you read about him being linked to Man City and AC Milan and being described as a 'wonder kid', either he has the best agent in the world; or there's a huge amount of unlocked potential. Here's for hoping for the latter - though for me it's Joe Bryan all day long, for now at least......
If the opposition have width and choose to use that as a weapon to get at us, I would have Robinson, in fact I think under those circumstances, with Tete AND Robinson starting we will just not get turned, and the ball behind us wide is simply not an option, so they have to play through the middle, where we are likely to rob them and transition quickly to put them under pressure. If we want creativeness and ingenuity on the front foot and a much better quality ball into the box, i.e. we are attcking them on the flanks then Joe Bryan is a no brainer. I don't think it's a black and white (nice pun) as which one should start.

Carborundum

I get that we can have different opinions and preferences.  But in the space of a week I've watched a QPR fullback who was genuinely bad at defending and two Cardiff fullbacks who barely crossed the halfway line.  Knocking Antonee Robinson for messing up a pass as he spearheaded a 6 on 2 breakaway whilst contributing to a clean sheet needs a bit of perspective. Yes he messed up a couple of other passes, but it's football and every missed shot by a forward is a mistake too. We had about 15 shots off target on Wednesday. 

love4ffc

Quote from: Carborundum on October 22, 2021, 07:00:34 PM
Robinson.  Nothing wrong with Joe Bryan, nothing at all.  Robinson is just better at winning, clearly winning, his personal battle with the opposition winger.  Joe Bryan rarely loses his, but often a case of honours even.  Going forwards they offer different things and are reasonably effective.  Robinson will improve his decision making, Bryan won't get any quicker.
0001.jpeg this for me sums it up exactly.   Still love Joe though and want him to keep competing for the left back or possibly left wing or possibly holding defensive positions.   

Could really see him sitting in front of a back four breaking up play.   
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Woolly Mammoth

Joe Bryan for me, a better footballer and his technique of crossing the ball is very important to our top scorer Mitro.
I also like Robinson and of course his pace does have an impact, but his decision making of late has been poor and his passing accuracy is even poorer.
Nevertheless we are most fortunate to have both of them, but Joe is the better option if he can stay fit.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Sgt Fulham

Robinson is a decent option at this level, but a truly atrocious footballer imo.

Twig

Quote from: Hugh Gentry on October 22, 2021, 08:12:57 PM
Quote from: MartyFFC on October 22, 2021, 07:46:07 PM
If the opposition have width and choose to use that as a weapon to get at us, I would have Robinson, in fact I think under those circumstances, with Tete AND Robinson starting we will just not get turned, and the ball behind us wide is simply not an option, so they have to play through the middle, where we are likely to rob them and transition quickly to put them under pressure. If we want creativeness and ingenuity on the front foot and a much better quality ball into the box, i.e. we are attcking them on the flanks then Joe Bryan is a no brainer. I don't think it's a black and white (nice pun) as which one should start.

Like you say, horses for courses.

Andy S

I like Robinson as he is the better defender. He is very good at breaking up attacks. I also like Bryan for his attacking and crossing ability. We are fortunate to have two left backs both good but contrasting

Motspur

Voted for Robinson. IMO a much better defender and has pace to burn in defence and also going forward. Bryan a vulnerable defender like against QPR; for their goal he let the player run behind Ream and then tried to appeal for offside. He should either have followed Dykes or communicate with Ream to make him aware of the runner. In the previous Championship season he was also responsible for goals conceded as a consequence of ball watching and not knowing who was on his far post. I can't recall such errors being made by Robinson.

Black, White and Fred

Think Robo has more scope for improvement and will improve most by regular game time
'A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.'

Friedrich Nietzsche

3rd Gen Fulham Fan since 1996