A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Joe Bryan vs Antonee Robinson

Started by MartyFFC, October 22, 2021, 05:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do we think should be our first-choice LB?

Joe Bryan
Antonee Robinson

Arthur

Quote from: filham on October 22, 2021, 06:52:12 PM
Bryan for the next three matches then review the decision.

Forest's right-wing, Johnson, is quick. To defend against him with Robinson's pace may be our better option.

S.F.Sorrow

Joe Bryan isn't strong enough defensively for the Premier League but I would rather have Bryan in the PL than Robinson in the Championship. I get a sinking feeling inside every time Robinson gets the ball because I know it will usually lead to absolutely nothing and we will probably lose possession.

Bryan is one of the best left backs in this division. Possibly THE best. Robinson is of the worst players in our first team squad IMO. I honestly don't understand what people see in him. He's good at running really fast in straight lines, sometimes even without losing the ball, but that's about it. There is no end product and his passing, crossing, decision making and technique is quite frankly League One standard. His pace makes him a "flatter to deceive" type of player IMO. Like Knockaert without the skills.

Ronnief

Neither Joe or Jedi are perfect but they are good full backs for this division. Lets give Jedi some slack as I suspect some of his less than perfect performances may have something to do with his travelling to and from the US.  092.gif

Motspur

Your opinion that Robinson is one of the worst players in first team squad? Obviously your entitlement of such opinion but how come Premier clubs are monitoring him for future signing? He has areas to develop but pace is a vital attribute that he possesses and excites when we go forward. Recovers so well and can't recall where you could lay the blame directly on him of a goal conceded? I don't believe that you could say the same regarding Joe.

perry geyton

Bryan all day long, intelligent footballer opposed to Robinson who can run but has no brains to pick a pass

RaySmith

There must be a reason why two different managers  chose Robinson over Bryan, but they are both  very good, each with their own qualities.

S.F.Sorrow

Quote from: Motspur on October 23, 2021, 08:13:19 PM
Your opinion that Robinson is one of the worst players in first team squad? Obviously your entitlement of such opinion but how come Premier clubs are monitoring him for future signing? He has areas to develop but pace is a vital attribute that he possesses and excites when we go forward. Recovers so well and can't recall where you could lay the blame directly on him of a goal conceded? I don't believe that you could say the same regarding Joe.

Premier League clubs "monitoring" Robinson is just rumors in the tabloid press. Of course he played for us in the Premier League (mostly when our first choice LB had to fill in for injuries in other positions) but he was completely out of his depth. He may even play for us in the PL again but I find it extremely unlikely that any other Premier League club will sign him. He's 24 now so more or less fully developed as a footballer. He may improve slightly in some areas but there are some things you just can't learn, like spatial awareness, vision, reading of the game, basically the stuff others have referred to as having a "footballing brain" and Robinson is lacking severely in these areas. His primitive kick and run style of football may work (to some extent) in the Championship but it's not much use against faster, better teams in the Premier League.

He always puts in a shift, I'll give him that. I suspect this must be the reason why managers keep selecting him. But Bryan is a far superior footballer.

FFC In Oz

Much prefer Bryan.

I feel whilst Bryan occasionally loses his man and doesn't track a runner defensively, he is far less likely to this kind of lapse in concentration than Antonee.  Antonee's pace can get him out of trouble against the lesser sides, but better teams in the division will be able to exploit his mistakes.

Going forward Joe is technically a much more proficient and well-rounded player, and has excellent chemistry with Mitro.

Bryan +1

New Kid on the Block

I've been singing Joe's praises on this Forum for as long as I can remember, even during the period when Robbo was seen as the Golden Boy by many on here. I don't see why he lost his place when we bought Robbo, as he hadn't done anything wrong. Obviously a top pro, cos he hasn't thrown his toys out of his pram and demanded a transfer. So, Joe all day long.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: Luka on October 22, 2021, 07:47:19 PM
Robinson is a left back version of Kamara i.e. blessed as an athlete but not as a footballer.
Bryan on the other hand is a gifted footballer and a decent athlete that just needs the confidence to flurrish.
I'd always favour the footballer and would play Bryan over Robinson whenever fit.

I agree with this breakdown...but I choose Antonee over Joe.

When we play Bournemouth...I want Robinson defending their attack.  Joe, if Antonee gets hurt.

Plus...with TK BDR and Seri as our midfield pairing we need the better DEFENDER in the LB spot.

LittleErn

Quote from: Hugh Gentry on October 22, 2021, 08:12:57 PM
Quote from: MartyFFC on October 22, 2021, 07:46:07 PM
I've been particularly unimpressed by Robinson thus far. However, when you read about him being linked to Man City and AC Milan and being described as a 'wonder kid', either he has the best agent in the world; or there's a huge amount of unlocked potential. Here's for hoping for the latter - though for me it's Joe Bryan all day long, for now at least......
If the opposition have width and choose to use that as a weapon to get at us, I would have Robinson, in fact I think under those circumstances, with Tete AND Robinson starting we will just not get turned, and the ball behind us wide is simply not an option, so they have to play through the middle, where we are likely to rob them and transition quickly to put them under pressure. If we want creativeness and ingenuity on the front foot and a much better quality ball into the box, i.e. we are attcking them on the flanks then Joe Bryan is a no brainer. I don't think it's a black and white (nice pun) as which one should start.

Sums it up for me..

copthornemike

Just pleased we have two excellent but in their own ways different types of full backs who still have room to improve and become the final package. I would hope to see Silva improve them both helped by the competition.
Must admit I feel easier with Bryan's defensive qualities at the moment but you cannot coach out and out pace and it is one thing opposition teams hate to face up to. Robinson may well end up as the better player ultimately simply because he has genuine pace !

Andy S

Yes I agree. I cannot remember a time when two players of their quality are dividing opinion
They are both good players and we are lucky to have them both as there is no obvious weakness should one get injured. It is that sort of thing that can mean success at the end of the season

Skatzoffc

I'm going Robinson.
He is improving every game. Learning a lot from Tosin. More physical too.

Not the finished article by any means but coming on leaps and bounds.
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

How people see Robinson as a better option than Bryan is beyond me. Robinson is poor beyond his pace. He can beat a player and then mess up the final ball, and he does that constantly. The only saving grace is his consistency at disappointing when he does play.

Deeping_white

Robinson is the better defender & he's more athletic so I'd pick him over Bryan. If we've got Cairney & Seri fit with Fab coming back too, then added to Wilson & Kebano that's more than enough creativity to support Mitro and means you need your best 4 defenders on the pitch to take the strain of having less defensive midfielders in the starting XI.

Mullers75

Robinson, because of his pace.

He reminds me of the Man C left back, who made mistakes when he first got into the team, but Pep persevered and he's improved greatly.

You can coach a player to help him improve his positional sense, crossing and decision making, but you can't make him faster.

simplyfulham

Bryan is the better defender.  He edges it for me as he's a little bit better in more areas.

As a few have pointed out, both are very good players and it's incredible to have both as options at this level.

copthornemike

One other FB issue I would like to mention is that as an attack minded team the more thoughtful opposition coaches are creating 2v1 overloads on our wings which leaves our FBs (Bryan, Robinson or Odoi) isolated and exposed on a regular basis. Would feel more comfortable if we were better at 'double teaming' out wide when we are out of possession.