watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Have We a Midfield Crisis

Started by filham, October 24, 2021, 10:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

At the start of the season we seemed to have a surplus of talent for the important midfield positions. Anguissa, Seri, Cairney, Reed, Onomah, Chalobah and Quina were all competing for the three places. As expected Anguissa left but that still left six players for three places which seemed healthy and should have provided good cover against injuries.
Quina quickly demonstrated that he was not up to the pace and of the remaining five only Seri has avoided spells out for injury.
For today only Seri and Onama are available plus possibly Cairney for 45 minutes. This means no doubt that BDR will again have to be drafted into midfield.

They say that lightning doesn't strike in the same place twice but injury has this season struck in our midfield too often. Beginning to think there is a Cottage hoodoo at work.

General

If cairney is needed I reckon he could start. On top of that, although I don't know what his fitness levels are like, Hector has played in midfield before.

I don't know how severe injuries are but with afcon around the corner and the ability to lose seri to, you could see it two ways - one we're lucky we have the strength in depth we have, or secondly we're going to be even thinner on the ground than before and need recruitment's in Jan.

filham

Quote from: General on October 24, 2021, 10:30:13 AM
If cairney is needed I reckon he could start. On top of that, although I don't know what his fitness levels are like, Hector has played in midfield before.

I don't know how severe injuries are but with afcon around the corner and the ability to lose seri to, you could see it two ways - one we're lucky we have the strength in depth we have, or secondly we're going to be even thinner on the ground than before and need recruitment's in Jan.
[/quot
Quote from: General on October 24, 2021, 10:30:13 AM

Yes Hector is a good thought, a midfield of Seri /Hector/ BDR with Cairney replacing BDR at half time could surprise Forrest this afternoon.

Tabby

Could always use some of the youngsters if it comes to that. Francois didn't look entirely out of place early on in the season.

Twig

Quote from: Tabby on October 24, 2021, 10:47:48 AM
Could always use some of the youngsters if it comes to that. Francois didn't look entirely out of place early on in the season.

Francois is injured.

Twig

Wilson looks at his best playing in the attacking midfield role. Reed is a available as far as I am aware. So we have a choice from; Seri, Onomah, Reed, Wilson, Reid and possibly Cairney. Not too shabby!

Somerset Fulham

Quote from: Twig on October 24, 2021, 12:14:45 PM
Wilson looks at his best playing in the attacking midfield role. Reed is a available as far as I am aware. So we have a choice from; Seri, Onomah, Reed, Wilson, Reid and possibly Cairney. Not too shabby!

Yeah, I can't think of many other sides in this division that would turn their noses up at those options!

But we do have a bit of a brittle midfleld, for sure.

Carborundum

I'm not ready to write Quina off just yet.  When Ollie Norwood joined us his initial outings indicated he had barely any clue what we were trying to do.  Turned out to be effective cover for the first-choice midfield trio and subsequently had a rather better season in the Premier League than many of our players can claim.

Heck, even Steffjo was dire in his first showing.  Subbed around half time. 

Playing midfield can feel like being trapped in a tumble dryer until patterns of play are grooved. 

H4usuallysitting

Odoi & Bryan can also play in midfield

filham

Cairney and Seri looked very good again tody and with BDR in front of them it seems to work but I will feel happier when red is fit. That midfield trio is so important.

grandad

Where there's a will there's a wife

Woolly Mammoth

I do not think we have much to complain about with that midfield situation. We have enough options to sink a ship, and more than most. All clubs get injury problems it is part of the game and managers have to improvise and manage these challenges, that is why they are called managers.

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Skatzoffc

Not sure about this post tbh. Most teams in our division would kill to have our midfield options.

Lol
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !