Monday Fulham Stuff (27.12.10)

Started by White Noise, December 26, 2010, 11:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en/match/47993/stoke-vs-fulham/preview

Premier League Preview: Stoke City - Fulham

TEAM NEWS

Stoke City

Having reshuffled his pack at Blackburn on Boxing Day, Tony Pulis is expected to opt for his preferred forward partnership of Ricardo Fuller and Kenwyne Jones, with the former missing out on the trip to Ewood Park as Jonathan Walters took his place.

And despite breaking his goalscoring duck as a substitute in the 2-0 away win, midfielder Marc Wilson is unlikely to start against Fulham, with Rory Delap likely to continue in the middle.

Possible starting XI: Begovic; Wilkinson, Huth, Shawcross, Collins; Pennant, Delap, Whitehead, Etherington; Fuller, Jones.

Fulham

After seeing his side capitulate against West Ham on Sunday, Mark Hughes may be tempted to mix things up against Stoke, potentially handing Damien Duff a start after the Irishman was only deemed worthy of a spot on the bench against the Hammers.

Possible starting XI: Schwarzer; Pantsil, Hughes, Hangeland, Salcido; Davies, Murphy, Etuhu, Duff; Dempsey; A Johnson.

Broken legs and broken dreams

Tuesday's tie marks these two sides meeting for the first time since an ill tempered League Cup game in September that culminated with Fulham's big summer signing Moussa Dembele sustaining a broken leg as a result of a needless, over-the-top challenge from Andy Wilkinson - one that Hughes would go on to describe as "ridiculous".

Since then, the seasons of both sides have taken a rather different trajectory. At that point of the campaign, the Potters were rooted to the bottom end of the table, but now the Midlands side sit comfortably in the top half while the Londoners struggle down in the relegation zone.

And Tuesday's trip will likely give Fulham fans few reasons to be cheerful, as they have not won an away game this season - another poor display could see another airing of "Hughes out!" from the Cottagers support.

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2010/12/gatesys-weekend-roundup-thats-ate-too-many-chocolates/?

Gatesy's Weekend Roundup That's Ate Too Many Chocolates...
by GATESY on DECEMBER 27, 2010

What would Christmas be without disappointment. Rubbish presents, having to go back to work, awful weather, ages till payday and it would appear that this year we have the thrill of a relegation dog fight taking shape too. But let's focus on the football. It was a St Stephens Day full of action in the Premier League, so lets have a goosey at what happened.

Tradition dictates that we start at the Cottage, and although missing 10 first team players through injury and suspension, not winning away since we did (the opening day of last season), having 'Mr Relegation Zone' Avram in Charge and resembling a pub team they managed to turn us over. On his 150th appearance in a Fulham shirt Hughes nodded home the opener while having all the space in the world in the penalty area. This seemed to spur the boys on to spray a few nice passing moves around. Not wanting to lay the blame on anybodies door, but I did hear somebody say that there was no way we could go on to lose the game. But we did. Carlton Cole can't get enough of scoring against us. He scored twice last season at the Cottage (once for us) and hit another brace this year. And with Piquionne left unmarked he scored between Coles goals.

Much puzzled faces and scratching of heads in the crowd when Dempsey was replaced with  Eddie 'goal machine' Johnson. Perhaps it was Sparkys wishful thinking that with Johnson & Johnson up front there'd be no more tears. But that plan never came through. In my opinion Salcido again seemed lacking as did Etuhu, who for somebody so big seems to lack any kind of presence on the field.

Hughes mumbled after the game:

"In the end, it was really, really frustrating and disappointing for us because obviously it was a key game for us and one we felt we could've got maximum points out of.

"Certainly, given the way we started, that looked on the cards. But, unfortunately, it wasn't to be."

Grant reckons the future for the East London club is bright though. If there's one thing West Ham fans never tire of boring you with is the misconception that they're all about bringing yoof players through the ranks. Of course they often fail to tell you that most of them are stolen from other clubs, or aren'y actually good enough for the Premier :eague, but never let that stop them. Turns out Grant is getting in on the act too.

"We played with three players under 21 and even one came on as a sub for the last three minutes.

"We are very pleased that we won but we also continued with our vision. We want to continue the direction of the club with young players,"

Sears was called back from a largely uninspiring loan period at Scunthorpe and put straight into first team action, after playing some 60 odd games with just a single goal to his name. Also featuring was Frank Nouble who managed three games for WBA on loan last year.

With all the pressure, if you believe the press (and why shouldn't we?), now easing Sparky must be starting to feel the pressure. And assuming the insipid post match interviews and odd tactical choices aren't some carefully orchestrated ploy to get him bought out of his contract early. But I'm sure that's just me being negative and downbeat.

With the transfer window all greased up and ready to swing open expect a pile of players to be linked with a move to Motspur Park. John Carew (again) being the flavour of today, but Keane also being strongly linked. Though with wages around £60,00 a week you'd think that may be a bit too rich for our blood. Another rplayer I never rated was Riise, and according to reports he's getting bored of warming the bench and could be looking to move on.

Another St Stephens Day bottom of the table clash was fought out between Wolves and Wigan. Two goals in the first twenty minutes for the Latics gave them a good footing, and despite a late goal from Fletcher for Wolves the visitors held on to take the victory and move three points clear of us in the table. Mick seems quietly confident for his team though, he said:

"There is only one way for us to go at this moment in time with the games we have got remaining and that is up, "I know ultimately there are two ways we can go, but at the moment there is only one."

Stoke made it a hat trick of consecutive wins over Blackburn by beating them two nil at Ewood Park.Huth and Wilson were on target to give Stoke their first win in the boxing day fixtures in the Premier League.

Bolton show no sign of slowing down just yet. A convincing 2-0 home win over the Baggies leaves them sitting nicely in 6th place in the table. West Broms Peter Odemwingie missing three good chances which could have turned the game. Trotters boss Coyle knew that the game hadn't been as one sided as the scoreline may have suggested:

"The important thing was the three points. I don't think we ever got to our maximum in the game. West Brom were terrific, they had some great chances to score but they didn't take them."

Berbatov scored a brace at Old Trafford to win the points for Man Yoo without breaking sweat. SAF has now challenged the Bulgarian to reach the 25 goal mark this season. The three points keeps them top of the tree, two points above neighbours City who themselves beat Newcastle up at the other St James Park 3-1. An early goal each from Barry and Tevez poked the blues noses in front before Carroll scored yet another headed goal from a cross from Barton. The comeback was short lived though as with nine minutes to go Tevez scored his 12th of the season to put the game to bed.

The late game saw Spuds skip up the M1 to visit Villa. Despite Defoe being given his  marching orders for use of his elbow Spuds raced to a two goal lead through Van Der Vaart who was buzzing. A late Albrighton goal gave the home side hope but little else. By my crude reckoning it means Defoe misses Wednesdays game, and will be back and ready to go when we travel to Three Point Lane next weekend, with 'Arry predicting it'll be a "great" year for the Spuds.

This evening that lot down the road travel to norf London to face Arsenal on Sky with the chance to close the gap on the Manchester dominated top two.

The home defeat to the Hammers leaves us in 18th place in the table with a trip tomorrow afternoon to the glamour capital of the Potteries, Stoke on Trent!!

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1341914/Fulham-boss-Mark-Hughes-insists-fans-right-head.html?

Fans were right to call for my head! Fulham boss Mark Hughes understands the frustrations at Craven Cottage

Fulham boss Mark Hughes admitted Fulham's fans were within their rights to call for his head after the 3-1 home defeat to West Ham dragged the club into the Premier League drop zone.

The Cottagers boss left the field to chants of 'Hughes out', having earlier been subjected to taunts of 'You don't know what you're doing' as he watched his side throw away a lead against the Hammers.

The result - an eighth game without a win for Fulham - ensured they would end the weekend in the drop zone, level on points with the Hammers.

Hughes, who is now under real pressure less than six months after succeeding Roy Hodgson, said: 'When you lose home games I think they're well within their rights to vent frustration, because they've seen their team lose at home, which is not something that's happened on that regular an occasion.

'But I think deep down, the vast majority understand what we're trying to do and it will take time, and we've just got to be patient.

'If we do that, there are good players here and we'll come through the other end.

'But, at the moment, it's frustrating for everyone because we're better than we've shown.'

The loss of star striker Bobby Zamora has been particularly telling and Hughes revealed he desperately needed to sign a forward when the transfer window opens on Saturday.

'I think that's evident from what we're producing,' he said. 'We do okay to a certain extent in terms of keeping
possession and looking neat and tidy but you need that physical presence and cutting edge like I keep talking about.

'We've got AJ (Andy Johnson) who's been out of the game for a long, long time and is still building his fitness and sharpness, and that's understandable and it's difficult to hang your hat on him when he's been out for so long.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1341914/Fulham-boss-Mark-Hughes-insists-fans-right-head.html#ixzz19JSNRagm

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=225828

Fulham - No Cutting Edge!
Yesterday, losing to West Ham, certainly put a dampener on the festive celebrations.

Losing at home is bad enough but when you lose 3-1 to a team that hasn`t won away from home since August 2009 and has been sat at the bottom of the Premier League all season, it hurts.

Yesterday, once West Ham hit their third goal the stands emptied far too quickly for my liking and the chants of,

"Hughes out" and "Cheerio"

were certainly not something I`d anticipated when Hughes took over the managerial job back in the summer.

After the game, Hughes spoke about the chants and also where he perceived the problems lie, remarking,

"It was a little bit of frustration."

"The vast majority understand the problems we have in terms of lack of cutting edge."

"We just need a bit of help in January and we`ll be fine. Unless you finish off opportunities when they present themselves, given the opposition in the Premier League, the likelihood is you will concede."

The crux of the problem being though, just who will Mark Hughes turn to too add that cutting edge and just how much money will he be allowed to spend, especially with Bobby Zamora expected back in February!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=225828#ixzz19JSnuIOv

WhiteJC

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/1227/stoke_fulham.html?

Stoke City v Fulham
Monday, 27 December 2010 11:34

Stoke boss Tony Pulis will give a late fitness test to midfielder Matthew Etherington ahead of his side's match with Fulham at the Britannia Stadium.

Etherington limped off late in the yesterday's win at Blackburn with an apparent ankle knock and his replacement at Ewood Park, Greg Whelan, stands by to step in.

Pulis does not expect any further injury problems and his biggest concern is whether to bring back fit-again goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen in place of Asmir Begovic.

Meanwhile, Moussa Dembele is unlikely to be fit for Fulham.

The striker, who returned to training last week following five weeks out with an ankle injury, missed yesterday's 3-1 home defeat against West Ham after failing a fitness test and is not set to return before Saturday's trip to Tottenham.

Matthew Briggs (calf) is out until next month, while Bobby Zamora (leg) and Philippe Senderos (Achilles) should return in February.

Stoke City: Begovic, Huth, Faye, Shawcross, Collins, Wilson, Etherington, Pennant, Whelan, Whitehead, Walters, Fuller, Jones, Gudjohnsen, Wilkinson, Higginbotham, Tuncay, Delap, Diao, Sorensen.

Fulham: Schwarzer, Kelly, Salcido, Hughes, Baird, Hangeland, Duff, Dempsey, Murphy, Davies, Gera, Etuhu, A Johnson, E Johnson, Stockdale, Pantsil, Kamara, Greening, Dikgacoi.

richie17

Quote from: Tom on December 27, 2010, 02:19:14 AM
Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on December 27, 2010, 12:46:06 AM
Quote from: Tom on December 27, 2010, 12:22:16 AM
Quote from: White Noise on December 26, 2010, 11:34:54 PM
Bjorn Helge Riise demands talks with Mark Hughes after lack of Fulham first-team action

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 11:08 PM on 26th December 2010

Fulham midfielder Bjorn Helge Riise is to seek talks with manager Mark Hughes after failing to figure in the starting line-up.

Riise, 27, said: 'I am here to play and every time I talk to the manager Mark Hughes he praises me and asks me to have a little patience.

But in case I don't get to play during our Christmas matches, I will ask for a new meeting with Hughes. I cannot continue like this.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1341782/Bjorn-Helge-Riise-demands-talks-Mark-Hughes-lack-Fulham-team-action.html#ixzz19GQx5hYi
Good riddance!

Why would anyone take this tone? Maybe Riise's not been able to crack the first team, but is that all up to him? Roy never seemed overly concerned with providing the younger players with an opportunity to work their way into the first team. That's left us aged and over-used; at least that's a popular synopsis of our current condition. Hughes seems plenty content to use the same old same old as well.

If anything we seem in need of fresh blood. And perhaps playing someone who's got everything to prove rather than someone who's at the end of their career would provide that "spark" that M. Hughes continually talks about but seems incapable of finding.
We need players on the squad that can actually contribute to the team. He has had plenty of time to prove himself.

Base aBasel away?  Roma at home?  You may not rate the player but he's mad important contributions to the club, and has never had that all important run of games in the team to find his groove.

The Bronsons

Bjorn Helge Riise demands talks with Mark Hughes after lack of Fulham first-team action

'... in case I don't get to play during our Christmas matches, I will ask for a new meeting with Hughes. I cannot continue like this.'

Good luck to him. He's a player and he wants to play, seems reasonable. On the few occasions he's played for us he's looked promising so I don't understand the haters.

MJG

Quote from: The Bronsons on December 27, 2010, 02:02:32 PM

'... in case I don't get to play during our Christmas matches, I will ask for a new meeting with Hughes. I cannot continue like this.'

Good luck to him. He's a player and he wants to play, seems reasonable. On the few occasions he's played for us he's looked promising so I don't understand the haters.
He deseves a chance...nothing to lose on giving him say the next 3 games to prove himself, its not as if any other player is playing out of their skin to stay in the team.

WhiteJC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/9306533.stm?

Stoke v Fulham

TEAM NEWS
Stoke will assess the fitness of winger Matthew Etherington, who limped off at Blackburn with a sore ankle.

Striker Jon Walters hurt his left shoulder at Ewood Park but is confident he will be available.

Fulham boss Mark Hughes could opt to make changes following the Whites' disappointing display against West Ham.

However, Hughes' attacking options are limited, with Moussa Dembele likely to miss out with an ankle injury and Bobby Zamora sidelined until mid-February.

MATCH PREVIEW
Humbled by the Hammers on Boxing Day, defeat at Stoke would really send disgruntled Fulham fans potty. The Whites dropped into the relegation zone after gifting West Ham their first away league win for 16 months, prompting some supporters to turn on manager Mark Hughes.

Hughes' decision to substitute top scorer Clint Dempsey after 53 minutes infuriated the Craven Cottage faithful, some of whom chanted "you don't know what you're doing".

With key target man Bobby Zamora still out with a broken leg, Dempsey is one of the few Fulham players who offers a goal threat. His replacement, Damien Duff, made little impact against the Hammers, while Andrew Johnson lasted the 90 minutes despite looking out of sorts.

Hughes' fellow Welshman Tony Pulis enjoyed contrasting fortunes on Boxing Day, with his Stoke side outplaying Blackburn to move up to eighth in the table. Since suffering four straight defeats in the autumn, the Potters have lost only one of seven games, claiming 14 points from a possible 21.

MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head
• Stoke have won their last three games against Fulham, including a 2-0 victory in the third round of the League Cup this season.
• Fulham's last top-flight win at Stoke was a 1-0 victory in November 1967.

Stoke
• The last time the Potters lost back-to-back home games in the Premier League was in September 2009, when Chelsea and then Manchester United claimed maximum points at the Britannia Stadium.
• They have lost six of their last 15 home league games (twice to Tottenham, plus Arsenal, Bolton, Manchester United and Blackpool).
• Stoke have scored 19 of their 23 league goals in the second half. That is 83% - the highest figure in the top flight.

Fulham
• They have failed to win their last 26 away games in the top flight. Their last victory on the road was 1-0 at Portsmouth on the opening day of the 2009/10 season.
• The Whites have won only one of their previous 14 league games.
• Mark Hughes has drawn 18 of his last 29 games as a Premier League manager.

LAST LEAGUE MATCH LINE-UPS
Stoke (W2-0 v Blackburn, a): Begovic, Huth, Shawcross, Collins, Wilkinson, Pennant (Fuller 84), Whitehead, Delap, Etherington (Whelan 74), Jones (Wilson 89), Walters. Subs not used: Sorensen, Higginbotham, Gudjohnsen, Tuncay.

Fulham (L1-3 v West Ham, h): Schwarzer, Pantsil, Hughes, Hangeland, Salcido, Dempsey (Duff 53), Murphy, Etuhu (Eddie Johnson 53), Davies, Gera, Andrew Johnson. Subs not used: Stockdale, Baird, Kamara, Greening, Halliche.

WhiteJC

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1341946/STOKE-v-Fulham-Matthew-Etherington-faces-late-check-ankle-injury.html?

STOKE v Fulham: Matthew Etherington faces late check on ankle injury

Stoke boss Tony Pulis will give a late fitness test to midfielder Matthew Etherington ahead of his side's match with Fulham at the Britannia Stadium.

Etherington limped off late in the Boxing Day win at Blackburn with an apparent ankle knock and his replacement at Ewood Park, Greg Whelan, stands by to step in.

Pulis does not expect any further injury problems and his biggest concern is whether to bring back fit-again goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen in place of Asmir Begovic.

Team (from): Begovic, Huth, Faye, Shawcross, Collins, Wilson, Etherington, Pennant, Whelan, Whitehead, Walters, Fuller, Jones, Gudjohnsen, Wilkinson, Higginbotham, Tuncay, Delap, Diao, Sorensen.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1341946/STOKE-v-Fulham-Matthew-Etherington-faces-late-check-ankle-injury.html#ixzz19KMsLmXP

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1341927/Manchester-City-outcast-Roque-Santa-Cruz-set-January-Lazio.html?

Talking Italian: Manchester City outcast Roque Santa Cruz set for January move to Lazio

Manchester City striker Roque Santa Cruz is expected to join Lazio on loan as soon as the January transfer window opens.

The Paruguay international came close to moving to the Serie A side last summer after struggling for games at City but the deal collapsed at the last minute.

But the move is set to go through this time with Santa Cruz set to arrive in Italy in the next few days, according to reports.

Lazio will pay City £250,000 for a six-month loan with an option to buy the striker for £2.5m at the end of the season.

It means the Eastlands side would make a £15m loss on a player they only bought in June 2009 from Blackburn Rovers for £17.5m if he was sold.

Santa Cruz has scored just three times in 20 appearances for City which would equate to £5m per goal.

The 29-year-old switch to Italy will come as a blow to Fulham manager Mark Hughes, who is desperately seeking a new striker as a replacement for his goal-shy side.

The Cottagers are slumped in the bottom three and are badly missing injured striker Bobby Zamora, who will not return until March.

Leicester had also been linked with Santa Cruz but the player was unlikely to want to drop down to the Championship at this stage of his career.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1341927/Manchester-City-outcast-Roque-Santa-Cruz-set-January-Lazio.html#ixzz19KNJ18dd

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/6618258/Pulis-expects-tough-Fulham-test?

Pulis expects tough Fulham test

Tony Pulis knows Stoke's League Cup win over Fulham will count for nothing when the Cottagers arrive at the Britannia in the Premier League.

The pressure is building on Cottagers boss Mark Hughes after his side's dismal Boxing Day defeat to West Ham, but Pulis expects a tough test on Tuesday.

He said: "We had a good result against Fulham in the League Cup but that will mean nothing because this is a totally different game and they are fighting for league points.

"They will come and give us a real run for their money. They are, along with Everton, the team that has under-achieved most in the first half of the season.

"They will be looking for a stronger second half of the season and looking at the players they have, it would not be a surprise to see that happen.

"Every game in the Premier League is a tight game, especially for the likes of us, and we will respect Fulham just like we respect every team."

WhiteJC

http://sport.virginmedia.com/football/article/2010/12/27/bowen_urges_fans_to_give_hughes_time?

Bowen urges fans to give Hughes time
Mark Bowen insists Fulham supporters had been too quick to hurl abuse at manager Mark Hughes during their side's damaging Barclays Premier League defeat against West Ham.

Hughes was subjected to chants of 'you don't know what you're doing' and 'Hughes out' after the Cottagers threw away the lead in their 3-1 home defeat to the Hammers.

The result sucked Fulham into the drop zone, level on points with their previously rock-bottom opponents, and piled the pressure on Hughes less than six months into his reign.

Asked if fans were too quick to turn on their manager, assistant boss Bowen said: "I'm bound to say yes because I'm at the sharp end of the stick."

Hughes admitted supporters were within their rights to call for his head and Bowen added: "I'm sure Mark fully accepts it. He's used to it, he's got broad shoulders.

"You take stick as a player, when you play poorly, from fans because they pay the wages and they're entitled to their opinion. It's the same with managers and coaches. You're always happy to take the pats on the back when you're winning and things are going well."

WhiteJC

http://www.fanhouse.co.uk/2010/12/27/stoke-v-fulham-preview-danny-murphy-must-prepare-for-britannia/?

Stoke v Fulham Preview: Danny Murphy Must Prepare for Britannia Backlash

Fulham manager Mark Hughes is already accustomed to the unwelcome glare of speculation on his job prospects after a rollercoaster spell at Manchester City.

But he can hardly have expected such an unforgiving experience in the humble environs of West London with Fulham, with their latest setback ensuring this trip to the Potteries has taken on 'must-win proportions'.

Fulham's insipid performance against West Ham, and a humbling 3-1 defeat, has increased the pressure on Hughes and the usually patient supporters have already made their feelings known. The Boxing Day defeat leaves the Cottagers in the bottom three and Hughes under no illusions about the job ahead.

Hughes is without an away win all season and has already lost at the Britannia Stadium in a bad-tempered Carling Cup encounter.

Stoke could not be in better spirits after impressively dismantling Blackburn. They are also desperate to atone for their last nightmare outing on their own turf, when Blackpool completed a smash and grab.

Danny Murphy's now infamous comments about Stoke's abrasive style of play should also guarantee Tony Pulis's pre-match team talk is already taken care of.

Key Match-Up: Dean Whitehead v Danny Murphy. Whitehead was one of the only Stoke players to poke his head above the parapet and express his disappointment at Murphy's recent comments, so this should be a spicy individual duel. The Fulham midfielder needs to ensure his actions speak louder than words as he attempts to keep his manager in a job.

Form Guide: Stoke have won three successive away games but are still haunted by their dire display against Blackpool in the last home match. Fulham have not won in eight successive games and their defeat to West Ham sent them spinning into the bottom three for the first time this season.

Odds: Stoke 10/11, Fulham 7/2, Draw 9/4

STOKE CITY:
Robert Huth played a major role in the win at Ewood Park and is preparing for another testing double-header at the Britannia Stadium.

Stoke play Fulham before entertaining Everton on New Years Day in a sequence that could inch Pulis's team even closer towards his 40-point safety target.

And Germany international Huth has admitted clean sheets are far more important to him than goals, after his vital headed finish against Blackburn.

He said: "The clean sheet means more to me, absolutely. Don't get me wrong, when I score I'm happy, but clean sheets are what you look for as a defender.

"Ideally, you want Kenwyne Jones and Ricardo Fuller to score the goals as strikers and then we do our jobs at the back.

"We're not going to underestimate the league or any team, so it's going to be tough on Tuesday against Fulham, then we've got Everton at home. It will be tough over the next week or so.

"Last year we were drawing games like the one at Blackburn, but this year we seem to be winning them, after making it three away wins now. We need to transfer our away form to the home games."

Strategy: Pulis may even pin the offending comments from Murphy on the home dressing room wall before the game. But Murphy's outspoken attack is hardly likely to help Fulham, with Stoke probably expected to be even more uncompromising.

Jones is struggling for form after failing to find the net in five successive games but will retain his place in the starting XI. Pulis admitted: "Kenwyne played very well at Blackburn and led the line. I have no doubt that Kenwyne is going to be fine. He just needs a bit of luck and one to go in off someone else's backside.

"Kenwyne has had one or two issues which people don't know about - there are lots of things that go on with players that affect them - but he is a great lad and will be fine."

Injury Update: Pulis has a clean bill of health once again.

FULHAM:
Fulham's assistant manager, Mark Bowen, says Hughes is able to cope with the pressure of seeing the club drop into the relegation zone.

Bowen also added that Fulham's main problem has been their inability to score more goals from their chances.

He told TalkSPORT: "These are difficult times and when you don't get results you have to accept the criticism and get on with it. We haven't defended poorly throughout the season, but we did on Boxing Day and we admit that.

"The problem has not been defensively, it has been putting the ball in the net at the other end. That is the main concern.

"There is a magnificent team spirit in the dressing room and we are focused on the task ahead of us. We have no doubt about the direction we are going as a group of players and a club.

"Mark is used to criticism but he has broad shoulders. As a player, you take stick from the fans when you play poorly because they pay the wages, and it is the same when you are a manager.

"It happens. You get on with it. You are happy to take the pats on the back when things are going well, and this is the other part of the game."

Strategy: Hughes has to make some tough decisions after Andy Johnson was singled out for criticism for his performance against West Ham. If he passes his fitness test, Clint Dempsey is likely to play the full 90 minutes after Hughes was lambasted by the home supporters for substituting him in the defeat on Boxing Day.

Injury Update: Mousa Dembele is likely to miss out with an ankle injury and Bobby Zamora sidelined until mid-February. Dempsey should overcome his dead leg.

WhiteJC

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/4042/4/blackburn-and-fulham-chase-espanyol-striker?

Blackburn and Fulham chase Espanyol striker

Blackburn and Fulham are leading the chase to sign Espanyol strike Pablo Osvaldo, according to the player's agent.
Dario Decoud has dismissed reports linking his client with a move to Juventus, as he claims the two Premier League strugglers are favourites to sign the striker.

Osvaldo was born in Argentina ,but qualifies for Italian citizenship and has represented their under-21 side.

The forward still has five years left on his contract and it would take a bid of around £5m to test Espanyol's resolve to keep him.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/matchprere.asp?a=225860

Stoke City v Fulham Preview!
After the disappointment of that Boxing Day defeat to West Ham United, Fulham face a difficult fixture against Stoke City on Tuesday evening. Stoke are a difficult side to face and have a good home record which, when you look at our away record, gives you even more cause for concern about getting anything from this game, but we can but hope!

Vital Quotes:
With a section of the Craven Cottage faithful having jeered Mark Hughes, following the Boxing Day loss to West Ham, Mark Hughes might well welcome an away trip to try and rescue something from a first half of the season that has left us locked in a relegation battle.

But, despite the jeering, Hughes still believes Fulham are heading in the right direction when he remarked, following that game,

"I think deep down, the vast majority [of fans] understand what we're trying to do and it will take time, and we've just got to be patient."

The big question though is whether those behind the scenes are prepared to show Hughes the patience he craves.

Stoke City Team News:
Tony Pulis has done a great job at the Britannia Stadium, his side are difficult to beat and remain a force to be reckoned with at home, but he`ll be concerned about whether two of his regulars, who picked up injuries in their 2-0 win over Blackburn Rovers on Boxing Day, will be fit enough to start.

One of those, the influential winger Matthew Etherington has an ankle knock whilst the other, Jon Waters, has a shoulder problem.

Player to watch: Rory Delap
Those damn throw-ins continue to trouble most Premier League teams. It`s not so much the distance but mote the trajectory they come in at. Let`s hope Brede Hangeland and Aaron Hughes can do their bit to clear the lines whenever they`re called upon.

Fulham Team News:
The West Ham United defeat only served to emphasise that for all our pretty approach play we lack that killer instinct in front of goal. With Bobby Zamora out until February and with Moussa Dembele still not available, it looks as if Mark will have to make do with who he has available. Does he decide to stick with an out of sorts Andrew Johnson or does he give Diomansy Kamara another chance?

Elsewhere, Philippe Senderos, Fredric Stoor and Matthew Briggs are all unavailable.

Player to watch: Eddie Johnson
I`m not clutching at straws here! I thought the American looked sprightly when he came on against West Ham and only a magnificent save form Robert Green prevented him from getting on the score sheet. Could he get the nod to start?

Match Facts & Stats
The history books show it is 43 years since we last beat Stoke City on their patch, November 1967 to be precise when we triumphed 1-0.

Recent fixtures between the two sides have seen Stoke win the last three fixtures.

Fulham go into the fixture having won only 1 of their last 1426 games!

Match Prediction:
Having not won away from home since the opening day of the 2009/2010 season, a record we shared with West Ham United until they took all three points on offer at Craven Cottage on Boxing Day, it`s almost impossible to cheerily predict we can get all three points away to Stoke this Tuesday evening. But, in troubled times, you have to keep the faith and we reckon that given a bit of luck we can, perhaps, snatch a point from this one!

Next Fixtures:
Fulham travel across London to White Hart Lane, on New Years Day, to take on Tottenham Hotspur.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/matchprere.asp?a=225860#ixzz19KP5ZZ9I

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/December/AaronHughesWestHam.aspx?

Keep Believing

Aaron Hughes has emphasised the importance of maintaining belief as Fulham look to bounce back from the Boxing Day defeat to West Ham and escape the bottom three.

The Whites centre-back was on cloud nine after 11 minutes of Sunday's match as he headed in his first goal in more than 150 appearances for the club, but his joy soon metamorphosed into frustration and disappointment as the Hammers edged ahead by half-time, before eventually running out 3-1 winners.

"The first half was strange because we were on top for most of it, but then we conceded a couple of bad goals near the end which gave us a mountain to climb in the second half," he reflected.

"Once they got their noses in front they sat behind the ball and tried to hit us on the counter. Because they had so many bodies behind the ball and they always had an outlet with the two guys up-front it was going to be difficult for us and we're obviously very, very disappointed with the outcome.

"We're disappointed because we saw this as a good opportunity to get something. Not because we took anything for granted, but because we were at home and because of the work we'd done all week building up to the game.

"But there are a still a lot of games in the next two weeks in which, if we can get a win and get a bit of momentum going, then we can turn things around pretty quick."

Indeed, the Whites have the opportunity to bounce straight back on Tuesday with a trip to Stoke City's Britannia Stadium, but having already lost there once this season, in the Carling Cup, Aaron is realistic that getting a result will be anything but easy.

"It's a difficult place to go – it always is for any side and it'll be no different on Tuesday, but we've got to do exactly that.

"We've got to lift ourselves up, put this behind us, look ahead and start to dig in and get some points on the board so we don't get stuck down in the relegation zone and let other teams drift away from us."

And the 31-year-old centre-back says that he and his team-mates can draw on their achievements of the past two years as inspiration to overcome this new challenge.

"Obviously we're disappointed with the situation we find ourselves in, but the confidence hasn't drained out of this side," he stated. "We still believe in each other and know we can put a lot of things right. We've just got to keep believing in that and working hard on the training ground to get things right come matchday.

"Last season and the season before that have gone, and this is a new season. We've got expectations of ourselves. We know what we can do, we know what we're good at, we know what got us success over the last couple of years so we've got to keep working hard and not let the belief go, not let the confidence go, because if that goes we really are in trouble.

"But at the minute we've still got a lot of togetherness and confidence that we can turn things around and start going the right way."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/December/AaronHughesWestHam.aspx?#ixzz19KS2s7Gf