News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Best Squad since we got relegated (inc the premiership years)?

Started by 70sPimlico, October 31, 2021, 07:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70sPimlico

I think when you look at the subs in every position, they get into most 1st teams in this league.

I can't actually remember a time in my whole supporting history when pretty much every player has a quality replacement.*

We've lost Tete, Robinson/Bryan, TC, Wilson, Fabio, Cav, Reed, Chalobah, Anguissa and others I cant remember and we sit 4 (5 if you inc GD) clear of the 3rd team.

There's a double whammy of benefits in that we get through an injury crisis and just as importantly every player from Rodak to Mitro knows they have a quality replacement breathing down their neck.

Its a wonderful position to be in.

Tosin will miss 3 games and he is arguably our key player* and yet we have Mawson, Hector and Kongolo ready to step in. My view is they get in every first team from WBA down.

You may have noticed my asterisks. These refer to Mitro who sort of stands head and shoulders above these comments. He has become undroppable in this form.

I would ask this. Are we seeing this Mitro because Muniz & Stansfield are itching to take his place?

Of course, I don't want to see a team sheet without Mitro but I must admit to really wanting to see what M & S can do, possibly in the same line up.

I guess the big issue is January. I imagine we have some squad players that won't take being on the bench and they must realise that when get promoted, if they cant get in tis squad, will they get in the premiership one.

Just a mention on Mawson. I hope he gets the nod in Tosins absence. I think there is a player there that could push for a FFC place in a premiership team with game time. He looks fit and confident. Who knows, Tosin may need to fight for his place back

AnotherOldgit

Imho Mawson and Ream do not work well together. Remember Luton away 2 seasons ago!

70sPimlico

Quote from: AnotherOldgit on October 31, 2021, 08:23:03 PM
Imho Mawson and Ream do not work well together. Remember Luton away 2 seasons ago!

God. yes, I do. I was there. Boxing Day.

With the other players we have around them and the proper coaching it just couldn't be anything like that. I refuse to accept that.

filham

Plenty of good cover for midfield midfield a back four but difficult to think of three replacements for Kebano/Mitro/Wilson

Cav./Muniz/BDR would not pose a real goal threat.

Whitesideup

Mawson defensively may be good enough, but I don't think he is anywhere near the player on the ball that is Tosin .. or Ream come to that. That doesn't mean he couldn't do a good job especially in the Championship, just that the team is still better with Tosin in it.

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

I dont think mitro is playing better for fear of being dropped, I think he's just enjoying his footy again. Neither of the other players are good enough to replace him long term.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: RufusBrevettatemyhamster on October 31, 2021, 10:52:24 PM
I dont think mitro is playing better for fear of being dropped, I think he's just enjoying his footy again. Neither of the other players are good enough to replace him long-term.

Mitrovic always plays well after he is well rested and his history shows an almost perfect corelations better rest and performance. Ignoring the second half of 20/21, Mitrovic's performance is perfectly correlated and therefore rest is a likely cause of his good performance.

Mitrovic was a) very well rested before "the second half of 17/18 and the first half of 21/22" (his best periods in my opinion); b) somewhat rested before "the first half of 18/19 and the first half of 19/20" (strong performances in my opinion); c) poorly rested before "the second half of 2018/19 and the first half of 20/21" (poor performances in my opinion); and d) forced to rest by Parker before the second half of 20/21 (excellent for Serbia and terrible for Parker).

The lesson is we need to play Mitrovic enough to get promoted, and rest him as much as possible so he is good next season too. In other words, pull him off the field as early as possible in each game to keep him fresh. If we go Two-Nil up against Peterborough after 30 minutes, then we should consider subsituting Mitrovic to save him for the next game.