Started by Rodshig, November 06, 2021, 05:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthouse

Quote from: Mokes on November 16, 2021, 07:43:36 AM
Quote from: Lighthouse on November 15, 2021, 03:26:33 PM
Quote from: Gezza on November 15, 2021, 12:31:11 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on November 15, 2021, 12:07:31 PM
Quote from: cookieg on November 15, 2021, 10:32:52 AM
And to think there are people that think internationals are a waste of time. The look on Mitro's face says it all.

Not sure a look on a players face after he has scored actually changes my mind about Internationals. Anymore than the look on a Portugal superstar player looking forlorn makes me question my opinion. But I agree that Internationals are important to many. Just personally I see no redeeming value in them.

You don't see any point  in, or enjoy, the World Cup then ?

No I don't see any point in the World Cup except as a money making exercise. I would still watch the odd game but the days of me planning to watch every game ended some time ago. The 60s,70s, were the height of International football watching for me. Then it just started to get stale and dull. The World Cup, I can honestly say I don't remember who won it last time. Although I probably watched it at the time.

Are you kidding, this has got to be one of the worst takes I have ever read. Especially sad that it comes from a fellow Fulham fan. In a world that it increasing divided and run by morons and corporations who profit off the division the World Cup is the biggest unifying event that humanity has. Theres an argument for the Olympics, but it doesn't come close to what the World Cup offers. I always try and travel around world cup time, I was in Australia/UK for 2010, Dublin/Spain for 2014, Canada/ Mexico for 2018 world cup and no matter where you are the bars are filled with good spirited people and it's an amazing atmosphere. Sure the governing body are corrupt as hell and award the location to whoever lines their pockets the most, but that doesn't detract from the sport and the love of the fans. Where else to Mexicans, Serbians, Algerians and Kiwis celebrate together? The results of the tournament are completely secondary to the comradeship the event creates.

I couldn't tell you who won the premier league for more then two season back. I couldn't tell you who played in most of the finals but definitely remember not only the magic moments from the cups but even where I was and who I was with when they happened.

I'd go as far as to say the world cup is the world's most important cultural event. I find the international break an inconvenience too, especially when Fulham are on a roll, but to say a domestic league is more important and the WC is pointless is wild.

Maybe it's because I go for a shite nation who is just happy to be there I enjoy it more. Maybe if I was from one of the countries with a sense of entitlement and fails all the time I would be jaded towards it too

I don't see the 'unifying' element you speak of. The World Cup causes divisions and when a Country is beaten or knocked out it  often causes bad behavior in those at home. I will however admit that as a kid reading my Football magazines and watching the World Cup on TV it did have a magic to it. But I do feel jaded towards it. I don't really get excited that my Country always expects to win but never does. There were the days I could name the squad and which club team the players played for. But nowadays I don't have the same connection or love. The National anthems and the bravado are just ill placed now. I am glad you still enjoy it. It could well be an age thing. I feel nothing for it.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

IloveFFC

Vuk1

Coming from the Balkans - we still love international football & WC in particular. There always seems to be a surprise packet from this region.
Bulgaria 1994
Croatia 1998
Turkey 2002
Bosnia qualifying in 2014
Croatia 2018

Plus Greece winning a Euro.

Praying that finally Serbia can get out of a group stage in Qatar.

ChesterTheTabby

Quote from: Vuk1 on November 16, 2021, 11:10:55 PM
Coming from the Balkans - we still love international football & WC in particular. There always seems to be a surprise packet from this region.
Bulgaria 1994
Croatia 1998
Turkey 2002
Bosnia qualifying in 2014
Croatia 2018

Plus Greece winning a Euro.

Praying that finally Serbia can get out of a group stage in Qatar.

If there ever was a Serbian team to do it - it's this one.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

andyk