Main Menu

NFR - Devon

Started by H4usuallysitting, November 21, 2021, 09:33:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: f321ffc on November 21, 2021, 08:35:33 PM
Quote from: H4usuallysitting on November 21, 2021, 01:18:30 PM
Quote from: Holders on November 21, 2021, 12:48:29 PM
It's the station that's the limiting factor.

Totnes? Teignmouth?

I'd skip Dawlish which gets horrendously packed in summer.

Like both Teignmouth & Totnes..... probably favour Teignmouth as it's cheaper and has the sea
And Teignmouth is just a 5 minute ferry ride Across the river Teign from me so no other option😂😂😂

Must be Shaldon...very nice place....think I've visited the Ferry pub on the beach..... definitely can't afford Shaldon

f321ffc

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on November 21, 2021, 08:39:56 PM

Totnes? Teignmouth?

Like both Teignmouth & Totnes..... probably favour Teignmouth as it's cheaper and has the sea
And Teignmouth is just a 5 minute ferry ride Across the river Teign from me so no other option😂😂😂

Must be Shaldon...very nice place....think I've visited the Ferry pub on the beach..... definitely can't afford Shaldon
Yes the Ferryboat inn is one of my locals.
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: f321ffc on November 21, 2021, 09:00:42 PM

Totnes? Teignmouth?

Very nice place...does that area get busy in the summer, or is it not to bad....if it's busy with holiday maker's for 4/6months of the year - it would probably be worth getting a cab licence and working "hard" in that time

Holders

If you're considering that side of the river both Stokeinteignhead and Combeinteignhead are nice, with pubs, and convenient for Newton.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: Holders on November 22, 2021, 10:16:13 AM
If you're considering that side of the river both Stokeinteignhead and Combeinteignhead are nice, with pubs, and convenient for Newton.

It's the station.... want to be able to walk to a station...be able to jump on a train - think it's the Londoner in me

Holders

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on November 22, 2021, 10:40:32 AM
Quote from: Holders on November 22, 2021, 10:16:13 AM

It's the station.... want to be able to walk to a station...be able to jump on a train - think it's the Londoner in me

It must be! That's really restrictive then. You see, to me, those villages I mentioned are the height of convenience as they're just a short drive to a big town with a mainline station. I guess it depends on where you want to go once you get on the train: rail and station density are not high in Devon. You can see on a map where the stations are and narrow it down according to your preference but I'd just advise against Dawlish which has a station and looks attractive but gets outrageously crowded.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Somerset Fulham

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on November 21, 2021, 05:34:13 PM
Quote from: Somerset Fulham on November 21, 2021, 02:06:48 PM
I don't know about Devon but up here in Somerset, cabs tend to be ruinously expensive, especially if you live in a small village that isn't connected.

That in turn leads to there not being much work for cabbies unless you're based in Bristol or Bath. I would guess that it's probably similar in Devon outside of Plymouth and Exeter etc.

The places mentioned are all lovely though. I am London through and through but have never once thought about returning permanently in the 15 years or so since I have gone and I can't see that I ever will.

Best thing I ever did.

Looking online at the Taxi tariffs around Devon - they don't look that expensive....around £2/mile....but you don't need to drive an expensive traditional cab, can use something like a Dacia Logan

Thats better than up here.  Only last week I was quoted £140 for a drop off and pick up at a wedding venue less than five miles away!

blingo

A possibility Mr H4. Driving lost luggage from Gatwick LHR to Devon, Cornwall. Can pay quite well as I guess you're not looking for full time if possible. All airlines need the service.

Oakeshott

"It's the station.... want to be able to walk to a station...be able to jump on a train - think it's the Londoner in me"

Paignton?

That's where I'd go if I ever left London. Easy fishing off the promenade at Goodrington or the rocks at Broadsands.

f321ffc

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on November 22, 2021, 09:35:43 AM
Quote from: f321ffc on November 21, 2021, 09:00:42 PM

Totnes? Teignmouth?

Very nice place...does that area get busy in the summer, or is it not to bad....if it's busy with holiday maker's for 4/6months of the year - it would probably be worth getting a cab licence and working "hard" in that time
It does get busy in Summer and ghost town this time of year, if looking to do taxi's then Teignmouth or Newton are best bet Exeter or Torquay both not too far,   as Holders says Combeinteignhead or stokeinteignhead  if you want to be rural (next villages to me)are both nice but need to drive everywhere, 10 mins to Teignmouth or Newton.
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: Oakeshott on November 22, 2021, 01:10:21 PM

"It's the station.... want to be able to walk to a station...be able to jump on a train - think it's the Londoner in me"

Paignton?

That's where I'd go if I ever left London. Easy fishing off the promenade at Goodrington or the rocks at Broadsands.

It'll be to far South for me, and very seasonal.... I'll be looking at the train line between Exeter & Exmouth & Exeter & Newton Abbot.... current preference is between Exeter & Newton Abbot, better train service & easier to get to South Hams, Dartmoor and beyond

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: blingo on November 22, 2021, 11:53:31 AM
A possibility Mr H4. Driving lost luggage from Gatwick LHR to Devon, Cornwall. Can pay quite well as I guess you're not looking for full time if possible. All airlines need the service.

I'll have a look into it Mr Blingo....cheers

f321ffc

Just seen a Sainsbury's home delivery van in Teignmouth with advert on it for delivery driver vacancies.
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: f321ffc on November 29, 2021, 07:10:27 PM
Just seen a Sainsbury's home delivery van in Teignmouth with advert on it for delivery driver vacancies.

Many thanks for that, with a bit of luck & a fair wind - could be living in that area sooner rather than later.... Am in a very small chain & was going to rent, but opportunity has arisen

f321ffc

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on November 29, 2021, 07:15:46 PM

Many thanks for that, with a bit of luck & a fair wind - could be living in that area sooner rather than later.... Am in a very small chain & was going to rent, but opportunity has arisen
Great,  where ? Hope it goes well
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: f321ffc on November 29, 2021, 07:18:59 PM
Quote from: H4usuallysitting on November 29, 2021, 07:15:46 PM

Great,  where ? Hope it goes well

Cheers, many thanks - around Teignmouth

Oakeshott

"It'll be to far South for me, and very seasonal."

Undeniably further south.

I've only ever been in the spring, summer and early autumn. I am interested, though that it has two Premier Inns, one on the seafront where we usually stay, the other a mile or two inland, and they recently increased the size of the seafront one. I suspect, though of course don't know, that there may be more business stayers at both than one might expect.

Good luck in Teignmouth. Nice town though as the last time we were there a seagull crapped on my wife's head, we have rather different memories of it!

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: Oakeshott on November 29, 2021, 07:46:06 PM

I've only ever been in the spring, summer and early autumn. I am interested, though that it has two Premier Inns, one on the seafront where we usually stay, the other a mile or two inland, and they recently increased the size of the seafront one. I suspect, though of course don't know, that there may be more business stayers at both than one might expect.

Good luck in Teignmouth. Nice town though as the last time we were there a seagull crapped on my wife's head, we have rather different memories of it!

Early days.... Teignmouth is about 4 stop's from Exeter, didn't want to be much further South than that, and i understand Paignton is quite a big tourist destination, want somewhere a bit quieter

Riversider

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on November 29, 2021, 08:59:15 PM
Quote from: Oakeshott on November 29, 2021, 07:46:06 PM

Early days.... Teignmouth is about 4 stop's from Exeter, didn't want to be much further South than that, and i understand Paignton is quite a big tourist destination, want somewhere a bit quieter

I was born in Paignton and lived in Brixham and Totnes as a child, went to junior school in Totnes and use to visit Teignmouth for the carnival and Newton Abbott for stock car racing,
Buggered if I'd want to live there now though, appreciate we've all got different ideas and thoughts,
"Tired of London, Tired of Life"
The West End of London is to valuable to me to give up in the foreseeable future.

Radiowhite

At the moment there is a big shortage of hgv drivers in the uk due to COVID and brexit, and the same type applies to uber, and potentially taxies. Uber maybe be especially worth it in Exeter, monetary wise, due to the huge student population.