watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Next up--Preston

Started by Fulham Gentleman, November 25, 2021, 09:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fulham Gentleman

Our next fixture is probably the one that I looked forward to the most when the fixture list came out, since I live in Preston and can walk to Deepdale. Plus, it is officially Lancashire Day in the county. However, it is a bit of a tricky one since Preston are having a Fulhamish season. They have beaten Bournemouth on the road, but lost at home to Hull and Cardiff. They do play well against the teams at the upper end of the table, but they look disinterested at other times.They have the foundation of a good side, that with a few added players would really challenge for promotion, but their management structure with Peter Ridsdale in an executive director position make this unlikely. Their style under head coach McAvoy is not a beautiful thing to watch. Preston seem to defend well and tend to set up defensively, but going forward is a bit of a struggle. This makes the side somewhat boring to watch. It will be a difficult match, but hopefully we have the full selection of players back after their illness and we can win the three points.  049:gif 049:gif 049:gif

Whitesideup

I hope that Preston being at home will encourage them to be a bit more expansive than Derby were. But clearly their first objective will be to contain us, so scoring the first goal could be important. I know this applies to most games but particularly in games that feature sides willing to park the bus and ride out a 0-0. If they go 1-0 up against the run of play, it encourages them to work even harder and redouble their defensive efforts. However, if they go 1-0 down, their strategy has to change a bit, often leaving a bit more space for us.

Yes, Preston have been a bit up and down - classic mid-table form but a bit unpredictable. Can have a good day .. or equally a bad day. Would prefer another win, but I suspect this will be hard work. A two or three goal margin would make the final minutes less nerve-wracking, but would take a 1-0 win quite happily.

Jules

It's going to be tough, but I really hope we get Mitro, Cairney and Rodak back. We need the three points as we could possibly get knocked off top spot if Bmth win and we don't

filham

Just hope not scoring at the Cottage is not the start of a goal drought.
Worrying that we are by far the highest scorers in the Championship and then a home game without Mitro and we fail to score.

bobby01

Are you Preston both ends reincarnated.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

Arthur

A telling factor, in my opinion, will be the extra day's rest Preston will have had for a lunchtime kick-off. Add to this that we may have to start with players who are not fully 100% well, and it will take a brave and commendable performance from our lads to win the match.

Fernhurst

This Noravirus outbreak running through our club, even those who have supposedly recovered won't be at their best (see Wilson's performance last night).
Will cross my fingers and toes but fear Preston may just be too strong for us.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

bog

Quote from: Fernhurst on November 25, 2021, 12:23:25 PM
This Noravirus outbreak running through our club, even those who have supposedly recovered won't be at their best (see Wilson's performance last night).
Will cross my fingers and toes but fear Preston may just be too strong for us.

Fernhurst I have been waiting for something to go wrong as all was going so well. Like in 2001 having a great season under Tigana, we draw United at home in the FA Cup. Great! In the week before the game Chris Coleman has his career ending car crash.   

Fernhurst

Captain, it's time !!!
A loss is no big deal.

But you never know.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

bog

Quote from: Fernhurst on November 25, 2021, 01:33:19 PM
Captain, it's time !!!
A loss is no big deal.

But you never know.

I am not being defeatist, we should have still won last night but there is always something waiting in the wings to annoy us!  Grr However COYW  049:gif

We Are Premier League

Fairly impressive team that way may be missing for us:
                     Mitro
   Stansfield    Reid        Cavaleiro
            Cairney   Chalobah

JimOG

Quote from: Fulham Gentleman on November 25, 2021, 09:29:32 AM
Our next fixture is probably the one that I looked forward to the most when the fixture list came out, since I live in Preston and can walk to Deepdale. Plus, it is officially Lancashire Day in the county. However, it is a bit of a tricky one since Preston are having a Fulhamish season. They have beaten Bournemouth on the road, but lost at home to Hull and Cardiff. They do play well against the teams at the upper end of the table, but they look disinterested at other times.They have the foundation of a good side, that with a few added players would really challenge for promotion, but their management structure with Peter Ridsdale in an executive director position make this unlikely. Their style under head coach McAvoy is not a beautiful thing to watch. Preston seem to defend well and tend to set up defensively, but going forward is a bit of a struggle. This makes the side somewhat boring to watch. It will be a difficult match, but hopefully we have the full selection of players back after their illness and we can win the three points.  049:gif 049:gif 049:gif

FG where do you live in relation to Deepdale? We used to live on Higher Bank Road near the With Trees pub & I'd walk over Moor Park to the matches (I actually played at Deepdale in goal in an inter-firm match when they had that horrible plastic pitch). Still have fond memories of 30 happy years there

filham

Quote from: Jules on November 25, 2021, 10:04:07 AM
It's going to be tough, but I really hope we get Mitro, Cairney and Rodak back. We need the three points as we could possibly get knocked off top spot if Bmth win and we don't
The Preston match is at12-30pm on Saturday, team probably travelling to Lancashire today, hardly time time for the sick three to recover nor time to adjust tactics for the loss of Mitro.

bencher

With the above all said I would take a draw, but I feel a Championship winning team finds a way to win this game. Let's see.

Fulham Gentleman

Quote from: JimOG on November 25, 2021, 01:52:17 PM

FG where do you live in relation to Deepdale? We used to live on Higher Bank Road near the With Trees pub & I'd walk over Moor Park to the matches (I actually played at Deepdale in goal in an inter-firm match when they had that horrible plastic pitch). Still have fond memories of 30 happy years there

I live in Ashton, not far from Haslam Park.

Jim©

Quote from: filham on November 25, 2021, 10:06:44 AM
Just hope not scoring at the Cottage is not the start of a goal drought.
Worrying that we are by far the highest scorers in the Championship and then a home game without Mitro and we fail to score.

I think the fact that even on the Derby forum they are saying we should have scored 3 is enough for me to realise it's not a drought.
We're the top scorers in the whole of the football league. We've had more shots & shots on target than anyone in the football league.
Wasn't just a home game without Mitro, but with a few "not 100%" players, fatigue (look at lack of goals in all champ games this midweek) and one where we hit the woodwork a couple of times and had technology say that a ball didn't cross the line by millimeters.

I genuinely think the overreaction to last nights result is astonishing.

JimOG

Quote from: Fulham Gentleman on November 25, 2021, 04:10:54 PM

Nice part of the world (although a decent stride to the ground - you may be fitter than half our team on Saturday. Go early, you might be playing :dft012:

filham

Quote from: bencher on November 25, 2021, 02:17:35 PM
With the above all said I would take a draw, but I feel a Championship winning team finds a way to win this game. Let's see.
I am happy to finish the season in the second position and right now West Brom need to gain ten points on us to push us down to third. I guess a point from Preston would be satisfactory and then we have six days to re group for the Bournmouth match at the Cottage.

Fulham Gentleman

Quote from: JimOG on November 25, 2021, 04:23:58 PM

Nice part of the world (although a decent stride to the ground - you may be fitter than half our team on Saturday. Go early, you might be playing :dft012:

It's only a couple of miles and the parking/traffic near Deepdale is not fun. Are you still in the area? I have lived here for about six years and do not know of other Fulham supporters living nearby.

JimOG

Quote from: Fulham Gentleman on November 25, 2021, 05:36:14 PM
Quote from: JimOG on November 25, 2021, 04:23:58 PM

It's only a couple of miles and the parking/traffic near Deepdale is not fun. Are you still in the area? I have lived here for about six years and do not know of other Fulham supporters living nearby.

No emigrated to Ireland in 2004 (I was our Irish scout 2005-06 under John Murtough - whatever happened to him) but we try to get back for an annual visit. It's changed remarkably in that time. The university area is an architectural mess and northern suburbs - Preston Grasshoppers to Goosnagh - is like a completely new town - ah well. Enjoy Saturday