Swansea
P-P
Fulham
Bournemouth
P-P
P'borough

WhiteJC

Watford seeking new Domingos Quina loan away from Fulham

Watford are seeking new loan options for Domingos Quina, the Watford Observer understands, with the midfielder all but frozen out at Fulham.

Since arriving at Craven Cottage on loan, Quina has made just three appearances and has not been included in a squad since October.

At that time, Fulham boss Marco Silva questioned the player's work rate and said that he needed to put in more of an effort in training in order to work his way back into the team, saying: "Domingos has to work harder to win back his place.

"He got his chance and that is clear by getting in the starting 11 against Leeds and Blackpool, and it was not just a matter of performance, but in the training sessions as well.

"He is fit, but was not in the squad the last game – a technical decision and it was mine."

Following that, Quina he has not featured in any games, except for one Under 23 appearance, and sources close to the player have confirmed that a new move is being plotted.

Prior to heading out on loan, the midfielder signed a new deal at Watford until 2024, so it is in the club's interest to find him a move that will allow him to play more regularly.

However, defensive additions are obviously the priority for the Hornets at this stage in the transfer window.

Deals for Hassane Kamara and Edo Kayembe are all-but tied up, while centre back Domagoj Vida is expected to follow soon after.

Once the club has made their necessary additions, they will then turn their minds to other issues, like that of Quina and possibly one or two outgoings as well.

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/19820981.watford-seeking-new-domingos-quina-loan-away-fulham/

WhiteJC

How will Fulham react to our fixture postponements?
Drew looks at the spate of cancellations that mean the White won't kicked a ball in 19 days.

As I write this, I'm sat in my living room watching Hey Duggee, having experienced my first Fulham-less Christmas in living memory. The EFL Santa may have skipped past Craven Cottage this festive period, but he's certainly delivered to our promotion rivals.

When the full-time whistle blew against Sheffield United, we were top of the Championship, despite losing our first game in 12. We were a point ahead of Bournemouth in second, and three clear of Blackburn in third, ahead of the traditionally frantic Christmas schedule.

That's now nearly over, and we find ourselves outside the automatic promotion places in third, four points behind the table-topping Cherries, and a point behind a determined Blackburn, whose goalless draw saw them sneak ahead of us.

Our games against Birmingham, Reading, and now Swansea – who we should be playing today – have all been cancelled. All three opponents cite Covid outbreaks as the reason, but as soon as Birmingham also mentioned injuries to their reasoning, questions about sporting integrity began to arise.

The question now is: how will we react to this shift? And ultimately how costly could these postponements be?

Woe is us?
The initial reaction to this is one of anger and indignation, of course. How could this be allowed to happen? It's clear that a number of clubs have taken advantage of the EFL's Covid protocols, combining injuries with positive Covid cases in order to meet the threshold to have a game postponed.

The EFL has now scrapped matchday testing in a bid to curve late postponements, but the fact is that 13 Championship games gave been postponed over Christmas and New Year – and our three games account for nearly a quarter of that total. What's more – none of them were our fault.

A packed diary
We now find ourselves playing six games in just three weeks. In comparison, Bournemouth and Blackburn play four. This means Marco Silva has to really dig into and utilise the depth of this squad; it's something we've not really seen him do, unless he's been forced to, so far this term. That will require a change in mentality from our coach who, before this enforced break, was enduring his toughest period in a thus far positive campaign.

There's also the issue of the sides we face being in better shape than they would have been if we'd played them when we were meant to. Birmingham clearly rained off our clash due to injuries as much as Covid. Those players are likely to have returned come 18 Jan. This, for me, is where the true issues of sporting integrity come into play. And, frankly, we can say this now before the games have been played. You can't call it sour grapes – yet.

Silver lining?
Now look – there's nothing like having points on the board. But in searching for potential upsides to our situation, you could argue we're far better when in the chase, than in the driver's seat. We didn't win a single game after we dislodged Bournemouth at the top of the league, having won our previous seven in a row. And we only stayed top by virtue of Bournemouth's similar dip in form. In fact, we've only won one game while top all season – against Stoke in August.

We've seen it before at Fulham. 23 unbeaten – remember? But when the chance came to sneak into the automatic promotion places against Birmingham on the final day, we faltered.

Chasing Bournemouth and Blackburn now, with the ace of two games in hand up our sleeves may be just the tonic to get our season back on track. That, and three weeks' rest (nearly four if we play the reserves against Bristol City in the FA Cup).

The fact we live in "unprecedented times" has reared its head again. There's nothing we can do about what's happened, so we have to make lemonade out of lemons. This month could very well define our season. Hopefully we're ready for the challenge ahead.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2022-01-03-how-will-fulham-react-to-our-fixture-postponements/

WhiteJC

Fulham want loan with a compulsory purchase option – Cottagers keen on signing

Okay Yokuşlu spent last season on loan with West Brom, hoping to show his talents to an English audience ahead of another move within the country.

At the time it was reported Celta Vigo, who own the player, were keen on a loan with a purchase clause. The midfielder himself wasn't happy about that option, knowing that West Brom could be relegated from the Premier League.

There was talk of a possible new deal with the Baggies in the summer, however, Yokuşlu was holding out for something better, which didn't turn up in the end.

The 27-year old has made eight appearances so far this season, but he's only picked up 180 minutes across those. Fulham are now looking to sign him, and they have a similar stance to what West Brom did a year ago.

Foot Mercato's Sebastien Denis reports that Fulham want to sign the player on loan, and have a compulsory purchase option in the summer. Bordeaux and Galatasaray are also keen.

Fulham are currently third in the Championship, but have games in hand on the two clubs above them. If those two games are won, then the Cottagers would be top.

With Yokuşlu clearly having a Premier League dream, he'll have to be convinced that the London club are set for promotion.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/fulham-want-loan-compulsory-purchase-option-cottagers-keen-signing/

WhiteJC

FST does Financial Fair Play
Financial Fair Play (FFP). Three little words that have a big impact on the way our football club operates. But, how much do you really know about the regulations designed to prevent clubs like Fulham spending more than they earn in the pursuit of success?

Fulham fell foul of the regulations in December 2015 after reporting losses of £27m for the previous season, which were £21m over the limit at the time. The breach resulted in a transfer embargo for the remainder of the 2015-16 season.

With the January transfer window starting on the 1st January and ending on the 31st January, the Fulham Supporters' Trust has teamed to with an expert from the Deloitte Sports Business Group to create a suite of short videos to help you better understand FFP and how it could influence Fulham's approach.

Hosted by the Trust's Farrell Monk, and featuring football finance expert Calum Ross of Deloitte, the videos discuss why FFP exists, exemptions to the regulations and the impact of FFP on clubs whose finances peak and trough due to promotion or regulation.
What is the purpose of FFP, how is it evaluated and what are the challenges?

Calum explains that it was introduced to "protect the long-term future of football clubs." It does not necessarily come purely down to a whether a club is profitable or not as the regulations allows for so-called 'good costs'. Community expenditure, youth development and women's football investment can be excluded to help a club arrive at a break-even result. Just because a player is bought for £10m, it does not translate to £10m of cost onto that year's financial result."

Player transfers

Buying and selling footballers in the 21st century is getting more and more complex. A way that a player is acquired can be recognised in different ways and therefore has a knock-on effect to FFP and Fulham's profitability.

Loans v permanent transfers

As we have seen in recent years, Fulham have heavily used the loan market. The 2020-21 season saw 7 loan signings. Their effectiveness on results on the pitch can be debated at great length, however the financial flexibility of loans in the current climate and in respect of Financial Fair Play can prove valuable as Calum explains.

We may not be in the business of training other club's players, but the practice must be traded off against financial sustainability. Therefore, it is a prudent method to adhere to the standards and avoid penalties. And as we all know, Fulham can be quite uncertain when it comes to penalties!

The impact of Covid

There has been a significant and well documented impact of the Covid pandemic on football finances. Although Craven Cottage's capacity was reduced by around a quarter due to the closure of the Riverside Stand and Fulham had been relegated into the Championship, gate receipts fell by 50% from June 2019 to June 2020. From March 2020, the impact of behind closed doors football was clear. And with playing and non-playing staff still needing paid, the regulations required adjusting.

FFP and the ownership

Since Shahid Khan took ownership of the club in 2013, the average financial loss per year is almost £30million. All of which has been subsidised by the American billionaire, bringing his cumulative operating investment to £205m*. FFP tries to restrict the investment of this size on a continual basis to level the playing field across the football pyramid. But does this mean an owner cannot invest in their football club?

*The total cash spent on the club by the owner is far greater as this number excludes the original purchase of the club and other capital investments such as the Riverside Stand project.

You can find the full set of FST does FFP videos in this YouTube playlist.

https://www.fulhamsupporterstrust.com/news/2022/01/fst-does-financial-fair-play/

WhiteJC

Bordeaux battle Fulham for Yokuslu

Fulham will face competition from Bordeaux in the race to land Celta Vigo defensive midfielder Okay Yokuslu, according to reports from France.

The Turkish international is interested in a return to England, having impressed on loan with West Bromwich Albion during the second half of last season – despite the Baggies' relegation from the Premier League. Fulham are keen to add the 27 year-old to their midfield options, especially with Jean Michael Seri set to miss a flurry of rescheduled January fixtures, and are ready to offer a loan deal with a compulsory option to purchase should they be promoted back to the top flight.

Bordeaux have now made contact with Celta over a potential deal for Yokuslu, according to the Foot Mercato journalist Sebastien Denis. The former Trabzonspor midfielder has ruled out a return to Turkey, ending Galatasaray's hopes of signing him in January. Yokuslu made his eighth appearance of the season in Celta's 2-0 defeat by Real Betis yesterday afternoon – but the Spanish club are believed to still be keen to agree his departure well before the end of the transfer window.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/01/bordeaux-battle-fulham-for-yokuslu/

WhiteJC

Clark says Sudan are going places

Former Fulham midfielder Lee Clark has urged the footballing world not to write off Sudan ahead of the forthcoming Africa Cup of Nations in an interview with the BBC.

Clark, who spent three months in charge of Sudanese side Al Merrikh last year, feels that the Secretary Birds have the ability to make an impact at their first finals since 2012.

"Sudanese football is on the up. I had a big group of players who were playing a big part in that [national team], so the standard was good, the players were so respectful – very, very hard working, listened to every word you said."

Clark has been impressed with the standard of Sudanese football and wasn't as surprised as most people when they shocked South Africa to secure their place at the finals in Cameroon.

I was at the qualification game against South Africa when everyone had Sudan as the underdog, and there they played terrifically well that night, and fully deserved the win to qualify. I think they enjoy the underdog tag, I think they enjoy the experience. They have some very, very talented players – underestimate them at your peril."

He feels Sudan will rise to the occasion after being drawn in a group with Nigeria, Egypt and Guinea-Bissau.

I think they'll be excited by coming up against these countries, and they'll not worry about the challenge. They'll see it as a great opportunity for them as a country to put themselves on the map and to try and upset the big guys."

Clark credits the Sudanese FA with forward-thinking policies that have helped develop young talent in the war-torn country.

"Our starting 11 had to include at least one Under-20 player, and one Under-23 player. Even if we substituted those guys, we had to replace them with those age groups as well. I thought that was a really good way of developing young players, not just for the clubs, but also for the national teams."

Clark, who has previously managed Huddersfield Town and Birmingham City, is currently in charge of Al-Ittihad in Oman.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/01/clark-says-sudan-are-going-places/

WhiteJC

Fulham Full-Back Joins Bolton on Loan

Bolton have completed the signing of Marlon Fossey, who joins the club on loan from Fulham until the end of the season.

Fossey, whose primary position is at right-back, arrives at the University of Bolton Stadium looking to add competition to a defensive role which has been decimated by injury this season - with Gethin Jones, Lloyd Isgrove, Will Aimson, Liam Gordon, Harry Brockbank and Adam Senior amongst the names to have featured with mixed success in recent months.

Born in the United States, the 23-year-old holds dual nationality having lived in England since the age of four and was recruited to the Fulham academy as an 11-year-old.

Despite progressing through the youth system at Craven Cottage, Fossey has yet to make his senior debut for the Whites and spent the first half of the 2020/21 campaign on loan at Shrewsbury Town.

He made nine appearances for Salop - including one in an EFL Trophy victory over Wanderers in October 2020 - but hasn't figured at first-team level since Town's 1-1 draw with Burton Albion the following month.

Having trained with his new colleagues for the first time on Monday, Fossey will go straight into contention for Tuesday's Papa John's Trophy tie against Hartlepool United and he admits the prospect of playing regular first-team football helped make his move a simple one to complete.

"I've been playing U23s football this season and it's a step up from that and I'm excited for the challenge," Fossey told bwfc.co.uk.

"With 23s games you've got 10s/20s people watching. Now you've got potentially thousands and I like playing in front of a lot of people and I'm getting the prospect of doing that every week, so I can't wait.

"It's a higher level and I think the more minutes I can earn myself the higher my level will get. It's a great opportunity to test myself and whatever happens I think I'll learn a lot from it.

"I'm aware of Bolton's Premier League history. I was up here a couple of days ago and was shown around the stadium and the facilities.

"It definitely looks like a club that was once at the top. There's definitely an aura of hunger to get back up there and hopefully I can help them with my little part while I'm here."

https://www.burndenaces.co.uk/2022/01/03/fulham-full-back-joins-bolton-on-loan.html

WhiteJC

Fossey joins Bolton on loan

Fulham full back Marlon Fossey has joined Bolton Wanderers on loan for the remainder of the season.

The American defender has starred for Steve Wigley's under 23 side this season, creating five goals in eleven appearances as the young Whites have built up a significant advantage at the top of the PL2 Second Division table. Fossey, who saw his loan at Shrewsbury Town cut short by injury last season, joins Wanderers with Ian Evatt's side sitting sixteenth in League One and looking to end a run of three consecutive defeats.

The 23 year-old, who trained with his new team-mates this morning, told Bolton's official website:

"I've been playing U23s football this season and it's a step up from that and I'm excited for the challenge. With 23s games you've got 10s/20s people watching. Now you've got potentially thousands and I like playing in front of a lot of people and I'm getting the prospect of doing that every week, so I can't wait.

It's a higher level and I think the more minutes I can earn myself the higher my level will get. It's a great opportunity to test myself and whatever happens I think I'll learn a lot from it. I'm aware of Bolton's Premier League history. I was up here a couple of days ago and was shown around the stadium and the facilities. It definitely looks like a club that was once at the top. There's definitely an aura of hunger to get back up there and hopefully I can help them with my little part while I'm here.

I'm like most full-backs these days. I like to have the ball in the attacking area and I like to impact the game defensively as well. I have an intensity and athleticism and hopefully Bolton can see the best of me while I'm here. I'm here to try and bring the club into a better place than they are at the moment and I'm hungry to help out as much as I can."

The former United States under-20 international is in contention to make his Bolton debut in the Papa John's Trophy quarter final at Hartlepool tomorrow night.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/01/fossey-joins-bolton-on-loan/

WhiteJC

How is Luciano Vietto getting on since leaving Fulham?

Luciano Vietto enjoyed a very difficult loan spell at Fulham for the 2018/19 season as the Cottagers were relegated from the Premier League with a whimper.

The 28-year-old Argentinian has had a very interesting career trajectory and is currently applying his trade in the Saudi Professional League with Al-Hilal. Prior to joining Fulham, Vietto had floated around La Liga to varying degrees of success with Villarreal, Atletico Madrid, Sevilla and Valencia, the latter two on loan moves from the Mattress Makers.

Vietto scored one and assisted four in a very difficult campaign for the Cottagers, the goal coming as a substitute in a 4-2 win over Brighton and Hove Albion, the versatile forward joined Sporting Lisbon on a permanent deal the following summer. Vietto was a more effective quantity in Liga Portugal and chipped in with nine goals and seven assists in 40 games for Sporting before leaving for Saudi Arabia in October 2020.

Vietto has played in the AFC Champions League for Al-Hilal and played a key role in the club winning the Saudi top-flight in 2020/21. At 28, a return to Europe does not seem out of the question, although it would be more likely than not to be in the twilight of Vietto's career, with his deal in Riyadh running until the summer of 2024. The 2018/19 campaign was challenging for many reasons at Fulham and Vietto was sadly unable to reproduce the attacking threat and dynamism that he had in La Liga previously.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/how-is-luciano-vietto-getting-on-since-leaving-fulham/

WhiteJC

Marlon Fossey: Bolton Wanderers sign Fulham right-back on loan

Marlon Fossey gained experience in League One with Shrewsbury Town last season

Bolton Wanderers have signed Fulham's former United States youth international right-back Marlon Fossey on loan for the rest of the season.

Fossey, 23. has been with Fulham for over a decade and played nine times on loan at Shrewsbury Town last season.

The Hollywood-born player grew up in Jersey after moving to the island aged four and holds UK and USA nationality.

He signed a two-year contract with Fulham last summer but has yet to play a first-team game for the club.

"I've been playing Under-23s football this season and it's a step up from that and I'm excited for the challenge," Fossey told the Wanderers website.

"It's a higher level and I think the more minutes I can earn myself, the higher my level will get. It's a great opportunity to test myself and whatever happens, I think I'll learn a lot from it."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59861139

WhiteJC

Done Deal: Wanderers sign Fulham defender Marlon Fossey

Second arrival of the window

Bolton Wanderers have completed their second signing of the January transfer window - the arrival of Fulham right back, Marlon Fossey, on loan until the end of the season.

As reported by The Bolton News, the American reportedly had interest from David Beckham's MLS franchise Inter Miami, though opted to sign for Wanderers instead. Unlucky Golden Balls.

Despite having never played for Fulham's first team, the 23 year old does have some football league experience under his belt. He spent the first half of last season on loan at Shrewsbury Town, playing nine times (including once against Bolton in the Papa Johns), before injury derailed his season.

He has appeared once on the Fulham bench for a League Cup game against Leeds this season, with his playing time solely coming in the U23s. In eleven games, he's managed five assists, with Fulham remaining unbeaten whilst he has played.

Upon his arrival, Fossey told the offical site:

"I've been playing U23s football this season and it's a step up from that and I'm excited for the challenge," said Fossey after training with Wanderers for the first time on Monday morning.

"With 23s games you've got 10s/20s people watching. Now you've got potentially thousands and I like playing in front of a lot of people and I'm getting the prospect of doing that every week, so I can't wait.

"It's a higher level and I think the more minutes I can earn myself the higher my level will get. It's a great opportunity to test myself and whatever happens I think I'll learn a lot from it.

"I'm aware of Bolton's Premier League history. I was up here a couple of days ago and was shown around the stadium and the facilities.

"It definitely looks like a club that was once at the top. There's definitely an aura of hunger to get back up there and hopefully I can help them with my little part while I'm here."

Fossey, alongside fellow new arrival Dion Charles, could make their debuts at Hartlepool United tomorrow night.

Hopefully Marlon can be as successful as some of his fellow Americans. The likes of Stuart Holden, Tim Ream and Antonee Robinson all had strong spells in a Wanderers shirt.

Also, it was confirmed today that Ali Crawford's loan with SPL side St Johnstone has been made permanent. Best of luck Ali with the rest of your career!

https://lionofviennasuite.sbnation.com/2022/1/3/22865047/done-deal-wanderers-sign-fulham-defender-marlon-fossey

WhiteJC

Fulham could lose Domingos Quina as Watford eye up new loan move

Fulham could lose loan man Domingos Quina this month, with Watford said to be searching for a new loan option for the midfielder.

That's according to the Watford Observer, who states Quina could be sent on loan to a new club after a difficult spell with Fulham.

The 22-year-old has struggled to make an impact since arriving at Craven Cottage, failing to nail down a spot in Marco Silva's starting XI.

Quina was handed a start against Blackpool in the first game after his arrival, playing 67 minutes in the 1-0 loss to Neil Critchley's side before featuring as a substitute in Fulham's 4-1 win over Birmingham City in the following game.

However, that outing against the Blues was the last time he featured for Silva's side in the Championship.

The midfielder's only other outing for the senior side came in their Carabao Cup loss to Leeds United, with his only other appearance this season coming for Fulham's U23s.

What now for Quina?

Given his lack of action for Fulham, it makes sense for Watford to take him back to Vicarage Road and look to find him a new club. He's not in Silva's plans and a lack of game time won't do his development any favours.

Not only that, but it also opens up another loan slot for Fulham if they want to make another temporary addition before the end of the month, so an early return to Watford could be best for all parties.

The situation at Fulham

The Cottagers are currently five games without a win in the Championship and will want to get back to winning ways as soon as possible to get their title push back on track.

Providing the fixture goes ahead as planned, Fulham face Bristol City in the FA Cup next before facing the Robins again in the league on the 15th.

https://the72.co.uk/259296/fulham-could-lose-domingos-quina-as-watford-eye-up-new-loan-move/

WhiteJC

Fossey turned down Inter Miami to join Bolton

Fulham defender Marlon Fossey turned down Inter Miami in favour of making a loan switch to Bolton Wanderers, according to his new manager Ian Evatt.

Fossey completed his loan move from Craven Cottage this afternoon and could make his Bolton debut in the Football League Trophy tie at Hartlepool United tomorrow night. The American has had an outstanding season for Fulham's under 23 side, creating five goals in eleven appearances from right back, after overcoming a succession of serious injuries to earn a new contract with the Cottagers.

Evatt told the Bolton News of his delight at concluding the deal:

"When I first spoke to Marlon, believe or not we were in big competition with Inter Miami, who wanted to take him over there. He wants to get into the US team, that's his goal, but I spoke to him at length, showed him around, told him about the clubs, the plans, the future and what we want to try and do, and he bought into it by choosing us over them.

"It is credit to us and to him because he wants to stay in England and make a good go of it. Yes, he has had some injuries but he is one of those players who has outgrown the Under-23s model now and needs to go out there and play senior football to forge a career. He has an immense talent, so many attributes, and I am looking forward to working with him."

Both Evatt and Fossey feel the time is right for the 23 year-old to make his mark in senior football.

"He isn't a young player, so to speak, he has been with Fulham's Under-23s for a while and is physically ready for first team football. He is a loan but also someone who might be looking to the future for something more permanent. Marlon is athletically fantastic, lightning fast, has that profile and can do the sprinting you need to do for us as a full-back. He can handle the ball and is used to playing in a similar system at Fulham.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/01/fossey-turned-down-inter-miami-to-join-bolton/