watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Football Manager 2022

Started by joemole, January 03, 2022, 07:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joemole

Have plenty of extra time at home because of Covid precautions and my son suggested I play FM. Don't really know much about it but was hoping to get some insight from FOF. Fun or boring etc. Thanks.

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

It's so in depth now, probably not far off the real job. Can be a very fun game, but can also be infuriating.
Not really much I can tell you ther than perseverance is key.
Also, if you're a brand new player, choose one of the bigger clubs (Man City) for it to be easy, anyone else will be super hard till you get the hang of it.

Steeeeeeeeeed

Well, there's a few versions I know about the pc and mobile...(not sure about the Xbox, I think it might be mid way between the two...easy to find reviews on YouTube to get an idea)...

My thoughts on PC and Mobile versions...

On PC it's been really boring and slow for about 10 years now on PC...I wouldn't recommend it at all, I think I tried playing it about 5 years ago and it took about 2 hours to get through the setup and the first 2 matches, put me off for good...it's just far far too in depth to the point of dullness.

On a Mobile phone, it's still a reasonably quick and fun game you can pick up and go through  a season in a day... Has just a nice level of depth and tinkering, but with a simpler game which I would recommend trying.

joemole

I would be using an Xbox that is digital only no discs

MikeTheCubed

Played its different incarnations a lot between 1999 - 2014. To play it successfully can feel like a full-time job, I wouldn't recommend it unless you're either prepared to play it casually or have a lot of spare time on your hands. There is a 'Classic' mode which is said to be more watered-down.

Mr K.Dilkington

A complete time sink from what I've been led to believe so be warned lol. I've been tempted to get stuck in before but the learning curve is pretty high. If you're going to I'd suggest looking into Zealand's FM videos on YouTube for beginners to the series.
Foolish ham

joemole

Like I said, I don't know much about FM, and I don't think it's like FIFA where you actually play on a pitch, so in general was is the strategy and outcome.

Radiowhite

Really fun game, extremely in depth and realistic. Just make sure you understand it before diving in as it can be quite complex.

Somerset Fulham

The trick is to buy the 'lite' version.  I think this year it's called Xbox version, but is available on Windows etc.

The full game became too much more for me about five years ago, but the lite version allows me to continue to enjoy a game that I've loved for over three decades without having to worry about what every bugger eats etc..

joemole

Somerset Fulham

Quote from: joemole on January 03, 2022, 11:57:18 PM
Is there a best way to learn?

Basically rEAserchING on the internet mate, and in this instance it's actually worth doing.  The main game is so vast and so complicated that there literally are no short cuts to doing well with it.

Somebody has mentioned starting with a big club, which kind of helps until you get found out then you are out on your ear very quickly. Starting with your first club at the very bottom also helps because players aren't as demanding and the board more forgiving. 

Don't forget that with this game, it's not over when you leave a club and so you can work your way up the ladder if you do well enough, Or don't leave them. I've taken Bath City into Europe in earlier versions of the game.

This website is a bit loud, brash, badly presented and all over the shop but it also does have some brilliant help with regard to setting up scouting networks/employing staff etc. It's worth reading if you really want to have a crack at the game.

https://www.fmscout.com/

love4ffc

Just started playing about a week ago.  It is definitely a game that has a big learning curve.  I have been doing some research online by watching YouTube.  There are some great videos that I will post links below to.   

Trial and error along with patience I thinks works best.   

I forget to put the youtube links.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNtyl0EeM08&t=1567s  (Really like this guy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9EooPun_wc&t=826s  (This guy is a bit off but still good info) 

Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

FFC In Oz

I've been playing for about 20 years - it's a fantastic way to pass time.

As pointed out, there are some excellent youtube tutorials (Zealand, workthespace, Dr Benji) etc who provide a lot of valuable insight.

I would also recommend a couple of FM podcasts - the guys on 5 star potential have done a recent podcast on what to do when starting a save which should give you some good ideas.

Fulham are a good club to start with if you know the game - don't really need to sign anyone to do well and you already know the squad inside out.  Yes, Mitro bangs them in on the game as well.

Steeeeeeeeeed

For a more arcadey, and probably social version of video game footy, my favourite footy game, and has been for about 22 years now, is Pro Evolution Soccer / PES...

It's the game I go to when I have a bit of time to kill, and was always miles better than FiFa (which on the face of it it is similar to)... But always felt like it has much better quality, and skills and tactics play a decent part too. It does feel like a very good "simulation" of the game to me.

People often say it was at its best in the mid 2000's, but I think it has been excellent again in recent years....(was not that good 2009-2014 ish)

(NOTE, ACTUALLY THE  "EFOOTBALL 2022" VERSION IS REALLY BAD, AS IT IS FREE AND THEY HAVE MESSED IT UP A LOT ... I AM TALKING ABOUT PES 2021, THE LAST ONE THAT WAS A PROPER PAID FOR GAME)

For the first time this year I loaded up the 2021-22 custom file on PES 2021 (took about 10 minutes to do) which has all the correct names, kits, leagues (Fulham in Championship) etc, and I think it's the best footy game I have ever played.

BUT, NO, NOT EFOOTBALL 2022, IT IS TRULY BAD 😁

love4ffc

OK, as I said I'm playing FM2022 for the first time ever.  I find it very interesting how the game puts an emphasis on players that currently don't seem to be in FFC plans and on players who seems to be currently on the fringe.  Other players who I would think would be important seem to only want to leave no matter what I say to them.   

My conclusion, I absolutely suck at this game and have no idea what I'm doing.  Personally think it would be good for all those so called football fan experts to play the game before criticize managers and football directors.   

FFC In Oz

Quote from: love4ffc on January 07, 2022, 01:26:47 AM
OK, as I said I'm playing FM2022 for the first time ever.  I find it very interesting how the game puts an emphasis on players that currently don't seem to be in FFC plans and on players who seems to be currently on the fringe.  Other players who I would think would be important seem to only want to leave no matter what I say to them.   

My conclusion, I absolutely suck at this game and have no idea what I'm doing.  Personally think it would be good for all those so called football fan experts to play the game before criticize managers and football directors.   

What formation are you playing with Fulham mate?

I played a fairly standard 4-2-3-1 and pulled away from Bournemouth to win the Championship quite comfortably towards the end.

Mitrovic and Wilson were fantastic, and surprisingly Ivan Cavaleiro chipped in with a heap of goals and assists too.

We Are Premier League

Its been voted the most addictive game ever made, it can consume soo much of your time. Love it!

love4ffc

Quote from: FFC In Oz on January 07, 2022, 03:07:42 AM
Quote from: love4ffc on January 07, 2022, 01:26:47 AM

What formation are you playing with Fulham mate?

I played a fairly standard 4-2-3-1 and pulled away from Bournemouth to win the Championship quite comfortably towards the end.

Mitrovic and Wilson were fantastic, and surprisingly Ivan Cavaleiro chipped in with a heap of goals and assists too.

Yep, I mainly play the 4-2-3-1 and as you say Ivan Cavaleiro is getting goals.  He is the second highest scorer behind Mitro.  Speaking of Mitro that damn Claudio Ranieri from Watford are sniffing around trying to turn his head  :031:

Big thing I need to do is get my budget under control and back in compliance with FFP. 

As said above, the game is addictive and could easily consume all of my spare time  :dft001: