more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff - 07/01/22...

Started by WhiteJC, January 07, 2022, 12:03:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Should Fulham be up for the Cup?

Come Saturday lunchtime when Fulham walk out at Ashton Gate, it will have been nineteen days since Marco Silva's side had played any football. In the middle of the most hectic period of the domestic football programme, the Whites have been robbed of the opportunity to put right their five-match winless run – which culminated in a wholly dispiriting defeat by Sheffield United – after a succession of covid-related postponements. That sense of unease has only been heightened by watching Bournemouth and Blackburn Rovers creep above them in the Championship table.

Fulham won't even be able to climb back into the automatic promotion places in BS4 this weekend as their tussle with Nigel Pearson's men comes in the third round of the FA Cup. What was considered an underwhelming draw when it came out of the hat in early December now serves as something of a distraction to the main business of Fulham's season: securing an immediate return to the top flight. Even I, as someone who sees it as a serious failing that the club have consistently failed to put together any sort of Cup run in their recent history, can see the value in a bit of experimentation in the west country.

That the league programme swiftly serves another game at the Gate against the Robins the following weekend is one of the vagaries of what has suddenly become a packed – and, you sense, pivotal, January. Fulham might have games in hand, but in a league as unpredictable as English football's second tier, points are the only currency that matters. Even squad rotation, which Silva has steadfastly refused to employ since he took over from Scott Parker, is fraught with danger – given that Fulham's first choice footballers will have had almost three weeks kicking their heels.

So, the choice is probably a binary one: does Silva summon his regular starters and offer them the opportunity to tune up ahead of ahead of the resumption of the Championship campaign at Reading on Tuesday or should he treat the world's oldest Cup competition as an afterthought and throw in several of his second string? Given that Fulham's premier line-up had been flattering to deceive for a few weeks, it might well be worth going as close to full strength as the Whites can muster and hoping to generate both the momentum and the patterns of play that looked so devastating earlier in the season. On the other hand, by doing that you are squandering the only opportunity for a while to give game time to those who haven't had a look in.

To chuck some names into what might otherwise be an abstract equation, does Tom Cairney come into Fulham's first choice midfield on account of the largely listless showings in December? I've argued at length lately that the balance of the engine room hasn't been right for a while – with the Seri-Reed axis effectively the wrong way round. Cairney breathed new life into Fulham when he returned, ahead of schedule, from his long injury exile in a deeper, playmaking role. He certainly has form for scoring spectacular goals at Ashton Gate. Or is Saturday a long-awaited opportunity for the fit again Nathaniel Chalobah to show his ball-winning credentials in the absence of Seri?

The dilemma is all the more pertinent when you consider that the Whites will face five games in fourteen days from Saturday onwards that will have a tangible impact on their season. Even before all the cancellations and coronavirus upheaval, Silva had hinted at the need to retain as much squad depth as possible heading into the January transfer window. Viewed from that perspective, the club's decision to give short shrift to offers from Queens Park Rangers for Michael Hector and Alfie Mawson seems understandable. Maybe Terence Kongolo, now back in training at Motspur Park, could finally feature in a senior fixture again. if Fulham's FFP position remains precarious as a result of their previous excesses in the transfer market, then a big squad could be just what it is needed to come through either this packed fixture programme or, worse, a covid outbreak of our own.

The easiest way to send out a statement to Bournemouth and a rejuvenated Blackburn would be to rediscover that winning feeling. If a Cup run feels like a distraction, victory at Bristol City will at least show the Whites have learnt some of the lessons from their insipid displays before Christmas. Relocating the verve of the early season Silva blueprint is the only objective now. The simple question is what combination of Fulham's expensively-assembled squad can do that as quickly as possible.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/01/should-fulham-be-up-for-the-cup/

WhiteJC

QPR knocked back in pursuit of Alfie Mawson + Michael Hector but could land Harlee Dean
QPR's search for a centre-back has sped up after the club missed out on signing Steve Cook from Bournemouth.

Cook was set to join QPR from Bournemouth. But the 30-year-old centre-back pulled out at the last minute, and opted to join Nottingham Forest instead.

It's left Mark Warburton high and dry in the transfer market and now he faces a frantic search to find a new centre-back before the January transfer window closes at the end of the month.

But a fresh report from West London Sport has identified some potential candidates.

Michael Hector and Alfie Mawson
The Fulham duo are said to be on interest to the R's. But West London Sport's David McIntyre writes that QPR's west London neighbours Fulham have 'indicated that they would not be open to a deal at this stage.'

Since, a report from Hammy End has revealed that Fulham boss Marco Silva wants to keep his defensive options stockpiled throughout the upcoming fixture pile up, and so he won't sanction a temporary or permanent departure for either Hector or Mawson at this stage.

https://the72.co.uk/259408/qpr-knocked-back-in-pursuit-of-alfie-mawson-michael-hector-but-could-land-harlee-dean/

WhiteJC

Reading Away Tickets

Owing to some ticket returns following the rearranged date, a very limited number of tickets have now been made available for next week's Sky Bet Championship clash with Reading at the Select Car Leasing Stadium.

Marco Silva's side were due to face the Royals on Wednesday 29th December before the fixture was postponed. The match will now take place on Tuesday 11th January, kick-off 8pm, with a very limited number of tickets now available to purchase online until 3pm on Friday 7th January. After this time, should any tickets remain, they will need to be purchased over the phone by calling 0203 871 0810 (Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm) or in person at the Fulham FC Ticket Office until 3pm on Tuesday 11th January.

Tickets for this fixture are priced from £18 for adults, from £10 for concessions and from £2 for juniors. More information can be found here.

As a reminder, tickets purchased for the original fixture are still valid for the new date, and fans wishing to apply for a refund are required to send their ticket back to the Fulham FC Ticket Office (along with a covering note requesting a refund) before 5pm on Friday 7th January, as these will be returned to the host club for reconciliation purposes.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2022/january/06/reading-away-tickets/

WhiteJC

Fulham to allow out-of-favour Cyrus Christie leave during transfer window
Cyrus Christie has played just one cup game and lost his place in the Ireland squad during a difficult season for the defender

Fulham head coach Marco Silva said he will do what he can to ensure Cyrus Christie gets a move in the January transfer window.

The 29-year-old full-back has made one League Cup appearance all season after Silva informed him before the campaign that he would not be part of his plans.

Christie, who spent last season on loan at Nottingham Forest with Fulham in the Premier League, has since asked the West London club to listen to offers and been so out of favour that he has spent much of the past five months training alone. He also lost his place in the Ireland squad for the most recent international break in November.

Silva said he can appreciate how difficult it must be for Christie to find himself jettisoned to the periphery but pointed to the plethora of options he inherited when replacing Scott Parker last summer and the need to instate a clear hierarchy.

"It's normal that he wants to play," the former Everton boss said. "From the beginning of the season he knew my opinion about the situation.

"I started the season with five right-backs and this is not normal in a squad. I decided in that period what they will be. Kenny [Tete] and Denis [Odoi] were the first choices for the position and since the market was closed Cyrus was back with us. He played one Carabao game and did well. I respected that but the others, I had made my decision, they were on top and playing more.

"I expect a player like Christie wants to play more and that's a normal thing. Anything we can do to help him as a club and as a manager we will do because it is a normal decision for him to want to play."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/arid-40779624.html

WhiteJC

Boreham Wood extend Ashby-Hammond's loan

Boreham Wood have extended goalkeeper Taye Ashby-Hammond's loan from Fulham until the end of the current campaign.

The 22 year-old custodian has kept seven clean sheets in ten appearances since joining the Wood last October. He kept the latest of those clean sheets in Saturday's goalless draw with Barnet at Meadow Park. Ashby-Hammond has conceded just four goals in almost 1,000 minutes of first-team action. Luke Garrard's side are currently fourth in the Conference Premier, four points behind leaders Chesterfield with a game in hand.

Garrard told the Boreham Wood official website: "I'm very happy to finally get Taye tied down for the season, as he has been a real positive since arriving back in October. In truth, he had huge boots to fill when replacing Nathan Ashmore, but his stats have been immense since taking the number one spot. Seven clean sheets from ten matches is an unreal return. The players and staff have all taken to Taye and to know we have his services until the end of the season is a real positive."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/01/boreham-wood-extend-ashby-hammonds-loan/

WhiteJC

Silva admits Carvalho could be among players leaving Fulham

Fulham boss Marco Silva has admitted Fabio Carvalho could be one of a number of players to leave the club during this month's transfer window.

The Whites, who are set to play their first match since December 20 when they host Bristol City in the third round of the FA Cup on Saturday, have the biggest squad in the Championship and are keen to offload players such as Cyrus Christie, Steven Sessegnon and Anthony Knockaert, who have made just four appearances between them this season.

Young guns Tyresse Francois and Carvalho are both out of contract at the end of the campaign and have yet to to accept new deals tabled by the club, who will listen to offers this month.

Silva said he expects to hear from Carvalho's representatives imminently and hinted he fears the young Portuguese-born playmaker may have had his head turned after initially staying he would stay.

"I know his agent will have been talking to some other big clubs," Silva said.

"But we are expecting something from Fabio and his agent – they know what they said to us.

"For me as a manager, our board are trying to take control of the situation, but I am waiting for Fabio to come and speak with me because his agent will speak to the club.

"Fabio knows what he said to me, and I expect to have an answer from him."

Christie, Sessegnon and Knockaert spent last season out on loan and Fulham are hoping similar deals can be struck for the trio to again leave temporarily or preferably on permanent deals.

"We have a big, big squad and there is the possibility of some players leaving the football club, even in a Covid situation where we have a lot of games in a row," he said.

"In Christie we are talking about a player who wants to play more, but he knew my feelings about the situation at the beginning of the season.

"I started the season with five right-backs and this is not a normal thing in a squad.

"There is Sessegnon, there is Christie, there is Kenny (Tete) and there is Denis (Odoi).

"I decided it would be Kenny and Denis as the first choices, but Christie wants to play more and that is a normal thing."

Watford loanee Domingos Quina is also set to return to Vicarage Road after failing to make an impression on Silva during his season-long loan, having made just two appearances.

"Domingos Quina is a loan player and for us to have him, it just makes sense for him to be one hundred per cent involved and playing big minutes and on matchdays," he said.

"He knows my opinions and I know his, it's up to us as a football club to decide what we will do."

Although keen to trim his squad, Silva insists he won't allow proven squad players such as Michael Hector, Alfie Mawason and Josh Onomah, who have barely featured this season, to leave

"We have to have a squad that is competitive as we have to play Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday," he said.

"There is competitions for places inside the football club, but they have to show me they are good enough to play.

"We want to have two players for each position, and at the beginning of the season we had injuries so some players played more, but now the situation is more clear.

"These players have to show me they are better than the guy that is playing, and they have to be ready for me when I decide I need them."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/silva-admits-fulham-players-including-carvalho-could-leave-this-month

WhiteJC

Silva expects 'Carvalho contract decision this month'

Marco Silva expects an answer from Fulham midfielder Fabio Carvalho over whether he will extend his contract at Craven Cottage month.

The talented teenager has previously turned down the Championship club's offers of a new deal with his current contract due to expire at the end of the season. Carvalho has scored four goals in thirteen league games this season and firmly established himself as a regular in Silva's side as Fulham aim for an immediate return to the top flight.

The Fulham head coach told his press conference ahead of the FA Cup tie at Bristol City this afternoon:

"We keep working. To be honest we are expecting something coming from Fabio and his agent. Definitely. They know what they said to us. Me as a manager and our board, our board in control of this situation and I'm aware of everything.

I'm here waiting for Fabio to come to speak with me, because his agent will speak with the club for sure. They know what they said to me, Fabio knows what he said to me as well. I expect during this month, an answer from him."

Previous press speculation suggested that half of the Premier League were interested in signing the nineteen year-old, with Liverpool reportedly heading the queue, but Carvalho has also attracted significant interest from Europe.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/01/silva-expects-carvalho-contract-decision-this-month/

WhiteJC

Pre-Bristol City Press Conference

Following an extended period without a game, Marco returned in front of the press ahead of our FA Cup fixture against Bristol City on Saturday.

With three fixtures postponed over the festive period, the Whites now face a packed-out schedule, which kickstarts with an away trip to Ashton Gate in England's most historic competition.

"I grew up watching the FA Cup in my house with my father," Marco began. "It is always a competition that you can watch in Portugal."

"You have to understand as well for a manager, you have to look not just at the moment, but the future as well. I really love the competition and the competition is amazing but what I will decide is not just because of the competition, which I respect, it's what will come after as well, because what will come after for us is not a normal thing.

"The Championship is tough anyway but what is to come is not our fault. This doesn't mean that we won't respect the competition."

The postponements have provided a unique challenge for managers across the football league since the beginning of the pandemic, but it is one that Marco and the team have been able to adjust to.

"It's been tough for us as a football club. If you are preparing for a game, two days before, preparing your team, preparing strategies and someone comes and tells you another game is cancelled, of course it is not a normal thing.

"It's been tough for a lot of us, all of us managers for sure but the reality now is we are trying to create the scenario outside of the training sessions and inside of the training sessions to keep up the competition and aim to keep winning and the most important thing in the training sessions is to prepare them [the players] for matches."

Looking ahead to this weekend's challenge, the Whites will head west to Ashton Gate for the second time this season, having already faced them in a 1-1 draw.

"It's a tough place to play but a good place to play. The atmosphere is good – I liked the atmosphere.

"It's a good pitch to play football against a good side. They had a good result in their last game and I'm sure it will give more confidence to them.

"They will match us for sure and they will try to do their best but again, it is up to us to do our best and win the game and go through the competition."

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2022/january/06/pre-bristol-city-press-conference/

WhiteJC

Silva 'will respect FA Cup'

Marco Silva spoke of his personal history of watching the FA Cup with his father as a child in Portugal as the Fulham manager contemplated how to balance respecting the world's oldest Cup competition with the demands of an increasingly packed January schedule.

The Whites, who will have gone nearly three weeks without any football when they head to Bristol City for Saturday lunchtime's third round tie, are set to play five games in fourteen days after three festive postponements. Silva told his pre-match press conference this afternoon:

"I grew up watching the FA Cup in my house with my father. It is always a competition that you can watch in Portugal. You have to understand as well for a manager, you have to look not just at the moment, but the future as well. I really love the competition and the competition is amazing but what I will decide is not just because of the competition, which I respect, it's what will come after as well, because what will come after for us is not a normal thing.

The Championship is tough anyway but what is to come is not our fault. This doesn't mean that we won't respect the competition."

Silva admitted the complications caused by the spread of the omicron variant within elite football have presented serious challenges for his squad.

"It's been tough for us as a football club. If you are preparing for a game, two days before, preparing your team, preparing strategies and someone comes and tells you another game is cancelled, of course it is not a normal thing. It's been tough for a lot of us, all of us managers for sure but the reality now is we are trying to create the scenario outside of the training sessions and inside of the training sessions to keep up the competition and aim to keep winning and the most important thing in the training sessions is to prepare them."

The Fulham head coach knows that Bristol City will represent a real challenge at the weekend.

"It's a tough place to play but a good place to play. The atmosphere is good – I liked the atmosphere. It's a good pitch to play football against a good side. They had a good result in their last game and I'm sure it will give more confidence to them. They will match us for sure and they will try to do their best but again, it is up to us to do our best and win the game and go through the competition."

Silva revealed that Fulham are dealing with two coronavirus cases at present within their squad, having been struggling with around seven or eight cases at the end of December. Saturday will see him without Jean Michael Seri, who has travelled to Cameroon for the Africa Cup of Nations with the Ivory Coast, and Ivan Cavaleiro, although the Angolan winger has returned to training.

The Fulham boss shared some irritation at the recent run of postponed matches.

"All of us and the EFL try to be clear, if you have 14 players with a goalkeeper you are ready to play. But after the bar is too high when you start talking about injured players as well. One situation is Covid, the other is injured players. How can you control injured players? Who controls injured players from a club? Of course we have to trust, and you have to be respectful with this season. But the situation is there, the protocol is clear, the number of players is there as well.

They decided to put injured players with Covid players as well. That's a new thing and creates a different scenario. I hope the people controlling the situation make the rules clear, and strict. When you start talking about injured players, the door is too [wide] to be realistic."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/01/silva-will-respect-fa-cup/

WhiteJC

Silva will facilitate Christie departure

Marco Silva will try his best to get Cyrus Christie first-team football this month as the full back seeks to leave Fulham.

The 29-year-old full-back has made one appearance under Silva after the new Fulham boss deemed himself surplus to requirements in the summer. The Republic of Ireland international has spoken publicly of his hope to leave Craven Cottage during this transfer window after spending much of the season training by himself and losing his international place in November.

The Fulham coach told today's press conference that appreciated Christie's position.

"It's normal that he wants to play. From the beginning of the season he knew my opinion about the situation. I started the season with five right-backs and this is not normal in a squad. I decided in that period what they will be. Kenny [Tete] and Denis [Odoi] were the first choices for the position and since the market was closed Cyrus was back with us. He played one Carabao game and did well. I respected that but the others, I had made my decision, they were on top and playing more.

"I expect a player like Christie wants to play more and that's a normal thing. Anything we can do to help him as a club and as a manager we will do because it is a normal decision for him to want to play."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/01/silva-will-facilitate-christie-departure/

WhiteJC

Al-Fayed 'in good health'

Former Fulham owner Mohamed Al-Fayed remains 'in good health' and is still involved in sporting projects, his family have revealed today.

Responding to an enquiry from French press outlet RMC Sport, Al-Fayed's son, Karim – himself a former Fulham vice chairman – said that his father, now 92, 'he has no health problems' and retains 'good connections' with Fulham after selling the club to American billionaire Shahid Khan in the summer of 2013. He is now 'now the founder of Lonely Rock Sports Management, a management company for the football market between Brazil and Europe. The supervised players are between 14 and 18 years old, are currently in Brazilian clubs and will be offered to clubs in Europe.'

Al-Fayed, long a controversial figure in British society, bought Fulham in 1997 and facilitated the club's rapid rise through the English football pyramid. While he courted further controversy by coming close to selling Craven Cottage and installing a statue of Michael Jackson, the Egyptian established the Whites as a force in English football's top flight, returned the club to their historic home and memorably saw Fulham reach the Europa League final in 2010 under Roy Hodgson.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/01/al-fayed-in-good-health/

WhiteJC

Bon anniversaire, Steeeeeeeeed

Little Steed Malbranque turns 42 today. Where did all the time go? The prodigiously gifted playmaker typified Fulham's thrilling emergence as a Premier League force under Jean Tigana. Eyebrows were raised when the top flight new boys splashed £5m to bring in the French under-21 captain from Olympique Lyonnais after already shocking world football by signing Edwin van der Sar as they tried to crack English football's elite.

Malbranque wasn't one for making much of a first impression. He shyly mumbled his way through an introductory press conference at Motspur Park, leaving several senior English football correspondents befuddled. The perceptive midfielder's communication skills in his second language were perfectly passable, but it was just that the bashful youngster preferred to do his talking on the pitch. Those of us fortunate to see him run the show at Selhurst Park in a pre-season friendly before he had officially put to pen to paper knew Fulham had a special talent on their hands – and the joyous cries of 'Steeeeeeeeeeeed' rung out from the away section.

Malbranque chose one of English football's storied theatres to mark his arrival in fine style. On an afternoon when Fulham came so close to shocking the champions at Old Trafford, he humiliated Jaap Stam so completely that he effectively ended the Dutchman's Manchester United career. A brilliant ball created Louis Saha's second at the Theatre of Dreams and opened his Fulham account with an impudent equaliser against Arsenal, who had turned him down after a trial aged eighteen, a month later.

By then, Malbranque's magical movement, ability to run at retreating defences and eye for an exceptional pass had already made him the toast of the terraces. He produced a brilliant brace to beat Southampton at the Cottage – and gestured to the Hammersmith End for the first time to prolong their signing of his name – before securing Fulham's first win at West Ham since 1980 with a virtuoso display. Having set up Sylvain Legwinski's opener with a measured corner, he wrapped up the three points with a late run into the box to reach Louis Saha's pass to the delight of the travelling fans.

There was another instinctive finish at Elland Road as he punished a poor clearance from a corner as found the net ten times in his first season in English football. Malbranque was arguably Fulham's most consistent performer, starring as Tigana's side reached the last four of the FA Cup, scoring a superbly taken opener at York City in round four and laying on subsequent winners for Steve Marlet.

The Frenchman only grew in stature the following season – scoring twelve times in a wildly fluctuating season that saw Fulham race out of the box inspired by their early Intertoto Cup exploits and end up battling against the drop under the stewardship of caretaker coach Chris Coleman. He scored one and set up another as the Whites roared back from 2-0 to clinch an incredible win over early league leaders Spurs in September and scored the club's first UEFA Cup goal to seal a famous win in Hajduk Split.

He settled that tie from the penalty spot with a retake after Fulham wobbled in the second leg before starring as the Whites made it through a further couple of rounds remarkably. Malbranque found the net four times in as many games in February, finishing that month with a flawless hat-trick that knocked Charlton out of the FA Cup. There was frenzied speculation that Malbranque would follow his mentor Christian Damiano to Anfield following Tigana's departure, but he flourished in a wide midfield role after Coleman switched to an enterprising 4-3-3 that embraced counter attacking with enthusiasm.

He sparked a comeback against Manchester City, before starring in the unforgettable triumph at Old Trafford – scoring once and laying on the clinching third for Junichi Inamoto. There was an equaliser and assist for Brian McBride's winner on debut against Tottenham and he settled a pulsating FA Cup replay against Everton, before briefly sparking hopes of another win at Manchester United by successfully converting an early penalty.

Malbranque scored twice at St. James' Park in Fulham's astonishing smash and grab raid – most memorable for Mark Crossley's magnificent afternoon in goal – the following season and his brace brilliantly beat Blackburn in the penultimate fixture of the season. He then bagged a brice to remind Stuart Pearce of his quality after Manchester City's summer-long pursuit of his signature had failed the following year and returned from a prolonged injury lay-off to pinch a precious three points against Newcastle after coming off the bench. Perhaps his most effective display that season was one where he didn't find the net but instead completely snuffed out Claude Maekele as Coleman's men beat Chelsea in March. One of his best goals was a sensational curler into the Hammersmith End top corner against Portsmouth, which was soon followed by a late strike that sunk Wigan and it was perhaps fitting that we remember his Fulham career with the final goal – a fabulous late winner at the City of Manchester Stadium that clinched the Cottagers' first away win in more than a year – rather than the manner of his departure after an acrimonious dispute with Coleman.

The joy with which this gifted technician approached his craft was what will always stay with me. Often doubled marked, or targeted for the dark acts by the division's hatchet men, Malbranque was the man who carried the attack to opponents and he often emerged from the tightest of spaces still in possession, by dint of his devilishly quick feet or the deftest of tricks. His talents were admired by all-comers, including famously Tony Blair on Football Focus, and it still seems such a waste that he never represented France at senior level.

Watching Malbranque was simply exhilarating. He remains one of the Premier League's most underrated performers despite lighting up the league for more than a decade and made a mockery of those those TIFF correspondents who once complained that he had no end product. He amassed more than fifty top flight assists and made it all look utterly effortlessly. Thanks for all those magical memories, Steed.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/01/bon-anniversaire-steeeeeeeeed/

WhiteJC

Jasper returns to Fulham

Sylvester Jasper is returning to Fulham after his loan spell with Colchester United came to an end.

The winger revealed the news himself tonight on his Twitter account. The 20 year-old scored three goals in 24 appearances for the League Two side and the U's could not agree terms over an extension of Japser's loan deal with Fulham until the end of the season. Jasper, who earned his first caps for the Bulgarian under-21 side as a result of his excellent form in Essex, could be loaned out to another club during the January transfer window for further first team experience.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/01/jasper-returns-to-fulham/

WhiteJC

Marco Silva makes Fabio Carvalho transfer admission amid Liverpool rumours

Fulham boss Marco Silva has admitted Fabio Carvalho could leave the club in January amid reported interest from Liverpool

Fulham manager Marco Silva has admitted reported Liverpool target Fabio Carvalho could leave the club in the current transfer window.

The 19-year-old's contract is set to expire at the end of the current campaign, triggering speculation about his long-term future.

Carvalho has made 13 appearances in the Championship for Fulham, netting three goals in the process.

The teenager's elegance in possession and eye for a pass has stood out early in his career and Liverpool have reportedly taken an interest given his contract situation.

Silva, a former Everton manager, was asked about the player's position on Thursday.

And he conceded it was far from certain that Carvalho would be at Craven Cottage by the time the January window closes.

"I know his agent will have been talking to some other big clubs," said the Fulham boss, per football.london.

"But we are expecting something from Fabio and his agent – they know what they said to us."

Silva added: "For me as a manager, our board are trying to take control of the situation, but I am waiting for Fabio to come and speak with me because his agent will speak to the club. Fabio knows what he said to me, and I expect to have an answer from him."

It was reported by the MailOnline that super agent Jorge Mendes has been trying to bring Carvalho to his agency, as the Portuguese prospect is viewed as a star of the future by his compatriot.

It's added that Mendes is keen to broker a move to Liverpool for Carvalho, having failed to get Real Madrid and Barcelona to put forward a proposal.

After a brilliant start to the Championship season, Fulham's form has slipped away in recent weeks, dropping them down to third position. Silva will no doubt be desperate to keep Carvalho for the promotion push.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fulham-fabio-carvalho-transfer-22670423

WhiteJC

'Expecting something': Manager admits Liverpool and Spurs target could leave this month

Marco Silva has been speaking to West London Sport about Fabio Carvalho, as Liverpool and Tottenham monitor the 19-year-old's situation at Fulham.

What's the story?

Well, the teenage wonderkid's contract at Craven Cottage expires in June, and he's currently refusing to sign a new deal.

Silva's comments come after the Daily Mail revealed that Jorge Mendes – Carvalho's agent – is trying to push his client towards Anfield.

Elsewhere, it was TEAMtalk who claimed that Tottenham were leading the race for the England Under-18 international.

Speaking about Carvalho, Silva said: "I know his agent will have been talking to some other big clubs, but we are expecting something from Fabio and his agent – they know what they said to us.

"For me as a manager, our board are trying to take control of the situation, but I am waiting for Fabio to come and speak with me because his agent will speak to the club. Fabio knows what he said to me, and I expect to have an answer from him."

By the sounds of it, the Fulham boss is getting a bit impatient at the lack of communication coming from the youngster and his agent.

If the situation is not sorted this month, then Carvalho will be leaving Fulham as a free agent in June.

In our view, Carvalho is the next big thing to emerge from the Championship, following in the footsteps of Jarrod Bowen, Eberechi Eze and Michail Antonio.

The Portugal-born attacker has scored four goals in 13 Championship appearances this season, while also providing one assist.

Carvalho's statistics may have been even more impressive had he not missed a chunk of the campaign with a toe injury.

Real Madrid are even said to be monitoring the prodigy.

Just like when Liverpool poached Harvey Elliott from Fulham, this is the type of situation where Premier League clubs have to get involved.

Simply put, there's a potential star of the future available for peanuts, so Spurs or the Reds would be naive to twiddle their thumbs.

In our view, whoever misses out on Carvalho will live to regret it.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/01/06/expecting-something-manager-admits-liverpool-and-spurs-target-could-leave-this-month/