more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff - 08/01/22...

Started by WhiteJC, January 08, 2022, 12:01:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Coleman takes charge of Atromitos

Former Fulham boss Chris Coleman is back in management – having agreed to take charge of Greek Super League strugglers Atromitos Athens until the end of the season.

Coleman, who famously guided Wales to the semi finals of Euro 2016, said: "I am happy and excited about this deal. It's a new chapter, a new challenge. There was interest 10 years ago, but some things are also a matter of timing and now was the time."

Atromitos are thirteenth in the 14-team Super League with nine points from fifteen games. Coleman is set to arrive in Greece on Sunday alongside his long-time assistant, former Fulham defender Kit Symons, who will remain in his role with the Welsh national side.

Atromitos are currently fighting to stay in the Super League where they sit in 13th place in the 14-team championship with just nine points after 15 matches.

Coleman is expected to arrive on Sunday in Greece together with his assistant Kit Symons, who will remain as assistant coach of the Welsh national side. The new management team's first game is scheduled to be at Giannina on Sunday 16 January.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/01/coleman-takes-charge-of-atromitos/

WhiteJC

Bolton Wanderers loanee Marlon Fossey on Fulham future and Shrewsbury lessons

Why Marlon Fossey intends to make the most of every second at Bolton Wanderers

MARLON Fossey's short-term aim at Bolton Wanderers is to show he can handle the rigours of League One football.

The flying full-back wants to make an impression at the UniBol after more than a decade in Fulham's youth system.

Ian Evatt revealed a deal could be done for the American in the summer if he shows enough between now and the end of the season.

Fossey wants to make the most of the next four months in what could be a win-win situation for the 23-year-old and his new club.

"I have been at Fulham half my life, so I am grateful for the player they made me," he told The Bolton News.

"It's a great club and I am a better person and player for having played there. I have met a lot of great staff and a lot of great players through the years so I am grateful for everything.

"But, ultimately, I want to be playing first team football on a regular basis and at this moment in time Bolton are offering and providing me that. We will see what happens.

"I will try and keep my focus on the short term, and I am all focussed on Bolton at the moment, so that's where I stand."

Fossey could make his home debut for the club against Wycombe on Tuesday having impressed against Hartlepool in the Papa John's Trophy.

The defender has sampled League One football before in the colours of Shrewsbury Town, playing under ex-Bolton full-back Sam Ricketts at the start of last season.

Injury cut short his time with the Shrews and he believes he is now ready to graduate from the Fulham academy and move on with his career.

"Youth team is good up to a certain age but definitely not my age," he said. "I probably wouldn't say I'm a 'young' young player now, I'm starting to get into that middle rift, so I need to be starting to establish myself in the men's football arena and hopefully this is the first steps to that.

"The quicker tempo was definitely something that I had to get used to after playing youth football for many years. It is a lot less intense because you don't have players competing and vying from paycheck to paycheck to make sure their bills are paid.

"You are playing with kids that are sort of guaranteed to stay in their position for years to come, so the tempo, the intensity, the physicality was all a reality check that I think I did get used to it.

"I had started playing on my feet towards by the middle of my time at Shrewsbury but unfortunately I had an injury that stopped me from progressing with them, but I learned a lot, for sure.

"Now I'm hungry to take this opportunity and I'll do all I can on the training field and even off the field to show this team what I'm about and hopefully help this team and we'll see how it goes. I'm looking forward to it."

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/19833028.bolton-wanderers-loanee-marlon-fossey-fulham-future-shrewsbury-lessons/

WhiteJC

Bristol City predicted team vs Fulham: Rob Atkinson's opportunity, Nahki Wells to start

Nigel Pearson's Bristol City host Fulham in the FA Cup third round at Ashton Gate

Nigel Pearson has been open and honest that today's FA Cup tie against Fulham lacks the same level of importance as the league, but by now, in 2022, even the most dedicated of romantics shouldn't be particularly shocked by that declaration.

Bristol City want to progress but, equally, Pearson has a squad to manage and this game is something of a free hit for the Robins against one of the Championship's best sides.

That being said, Pearson doesn't exactly have a lot of options to play with as he elected to navigate the season with a smaller squad and is without the services of right-back George Tanner, defender Nathan Baker and midfielder Joe Williams through injury while Ryley Towler is cup tied having played in the first round round for Grimsby Town.

So while the manager may want to rotate and/or experiment, there's not a huge amount of room to manoeuvre, he has said there will only be a few changes to the starting XI which took to the field against Millwall on January 2.

Goalkeeper and defence

One very easy swap that could be made is to reinstate captain Dan Bentley for Max O'Leary, with the latter having started City's last two games.

However, having brought O'Leary into the team it would seem detrimental to his own progress as a starter and consistency - which Pearson constantly desires - to instantly take him out of action after two games.

If the 24-year-old is now considered first choice ahead of Bentley then he probably needs to remain in that position to ensure everyone knows where they stand.

In defence, given Baker and Towler's unavailability and the fact that Tanner's injury means Zak Vyner is the only likely right-back option, as Danny Simpson hasn't featured since October, Pearson doesn't appear to have the numbers to field a back three unless Cam Pring starts in the centre.

The 23-year-old, who signed a contract extension this week, has played there twice - but not from the start of a match - and does then mean Vyner can play as wing-back.

This is also on the assumption that Rob Atkinson comes back into the team to try and play his way back into form, reforming his partnership with Tomas Kalas.

If Pring plays in the middle, that then surely opens up a spot for Jay Dasilva on the left as Callum O'Dowda's injury issues of the past 12 months mean it's a game where he can rest his groin and hamstrings.

Alternatively, it could be a straight back four with Pring and Vyner full-backs and Kalas and Atkinson in the middle.

Midfield

But Pearson's options in midfield also influence how he sets his defence up because Matty James will almost certainly sit this one out, meaning Andy King should come back into the side and you'd imagine, if Bentley doesn't play, will be given the armband.

That will be a sense of enormous pride for the City fan but he has some making up to do after his silly dismissal in the 2-1 defeat to QPR.

City's other central midfield options are Han-Noah Massengo, who also should start after his eye-catching second half against Millwall, Tyreeq Bakinson and then Alex Scott, Ayman Benarous and Kasey Palmer in more advanced positions.

If it's a flat back-four in a 4-1-4-1, you'd envisage King in the holding role and then Massengo + AN Other ahead of the 33-year-old.

To address the various implications of that: Bakinson probably misses out because it's too defensive to have him, Massengo and King, Pearson may well feel Scott can be taken out for a game given how much football he's played this season since October, leaving creative players Benarous and Palmer.

The former did start against Millwall in a central role and was promptly taken off at half-time after failing to influence much, indicating that his best role for City, given he's only 18, could be as a left midfielder.

Palmer is the eternal enigma and almost certainly will be in the matchday squad but having not played any competitive football since October, is he ready to start a game against a Championship side?

We've mentioned O'Dowda perhaps being taken out for 90 minutes, but perhaps it's time Sunday's hat-trick hero was also given a breather (if that seems at all possible). Andi Weimann has started all 25 of City's Championship fixtures and, bar an injury time substitution at Cardiff, has been on the field throughout.

Perhaps the only thing stopping him being given the afternoon off, or on the bench is the fact that there are no obvious candidates to play right midfield should Pearson want a 4-1-4-1, as the Austrian started the win over Millwall.

Attack

Antoine Semenyo has powered his way into a starting spot and impressive performances over December would normally see the 22-year-old keep his place but, if anything, the final third is the area of the field in which Pearson can change things, without considerably altering the make-up of his team.

In that context, it would be a surprise not to see Nahki Wells start, possibly in place of Semenyo.

The Bermudian has played piecemeal minutes over the last two months - just 91 in eight matches - and his position in the squad does look a little uncertain given his status, both in terms of reputation and salary.

But he performed well against Fulham in September and in the absence of Weimann and Semenyo, his presence would give the Robins pace in the final third.

The question is, does Wells play up front on his own or is he paired with another striker? If we're assuming it's a 3-5-2, then Chris Martin looks the likely candidate to form a front two having made an impression off the bench against Millwall.

Young forwards Tommy Conway and Sam Bell could be surprise picks, with the latter returning from loan at Grimsby, but the expectation is they'll fill bench spots.

Bristol City (3-5-2): O'Leary; Kalas, Atkinson, Pring; Vyner, Massengo, King, Benarous, Dasilva; Martin, Wells

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-predicted-team-fulham-6461030

WhiteJC

Fossey determined to make Bolton loan count

Marlon Fossey is determined to make the most of his loan spell at Bolton Wanderers as he seeks to prove himself in senior football.

The talented American defender has seen his emergence at Craven Cottage derailed by a succession of serious injuries and jumped at the chance to play in League One after impressing for Steve Wigley's under 23s this season.

Bolton boss Ian Evatt hinted that there might be the possibility of a permanent deal should Fossey's loan spell be a success. The Jersey born right back told the Bolton News:

"I have been at Fulham half my life, so I am grateful for the player they made me. It's a great club and I am a better person and player for having played there. I have met a lot of great staff and a lot of great players through the years so I am grateful for everything.

But, ultimately, I want to be playing first team football on a regular basis and at this moment in time Bolton are offering and providing me that. We will see what happens. I will try and keep my focus on the short term, and I am all focussed on Bolton at the moment, so that's where I stand,

Fossey is in contention to make his home debut against Wycombe Wanderers on Tuesday after impressing in Bolton's 1-0 Football League Trophy defeat at Hartlepool just 24 hours after completing his switch to Lancashire. He feels the time was right to leave under-23 football behind and hopes that the injury woes, that also disrupted his only previous League One experience with Shrewsbury last season, are also a thing of the past.

"Youth team is good up to a certain age but definitely not my age. I probably wouldn't say I'm a 'young' young player now, I'm starting to get into that middle rift, so I need to be starting to establish myself in the men's football arena and hopefully this is the first steps to that. The quicker tempo was definitely something that I had to get used to after playing youth football for many years. It is a lot less intense because you don't have players competing and vying from pay check to pay check to make sure their bills are paid.

You are playing with kids that are sort of guaranteed to stay in their position for years to come, so the tempo, the intensity, the physicality was all a reality check that I think I did get used to it. I had started playing on my feet towards by the middle of my time at Shrewsbury but unfortunately I had an injury that stopped me from progressing with them, but I learned a lot, for sure. Now I'm hungry to take this opportunity and I'll do all I can on the training field and even off the field to show this team what I'm about and hopefully help this team and we'll see how it goes. I'm looking forward to it."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/01/fossey-determined-to-make-bolton-loan-count/

WhiteJC

'Would be an excellent piece of business' – Birmingham keen on Championship defender: The verdict

This article is part of Football League World's 'The Verdict' series, which provides personal opinions from the FLW writers regarding the latest breaking news, teams, players, managers, potential signings and more...

Birmingham City are reportedly keen on Fulham centre-back Alfie Mawson.

According to journalist Nick Mashiter, a free transfer is a possibility with the Blues ready to offer him a three-and-a-half-year deal but the Cottagers would be open to keeping hold of him.

But, would he be a good signing for Birmingham? And do they need him?

Our FLW writers share their thoughts...

Marcus Ally

This would be an excellent piece of business. Dion Sanderson's recall and Harlee Dean likely exit will rock the Blues' defensive contingent considerably, so to act fast and bring in both Alfie Mawson and Teden Mengi is good pro-active recruitment.

Mawson was called up to the England squad in his days at Swansea City, despite injuries and loss of form, that player has to be in there somewhere.

Lee Bowyer has had a good record of improving players who have been performing below expectations both at Charlton Athletic and Birmingham, he could be the man to get Mawson's career back on track.

The 27-year-old battling spirit could come in handy if the Blues are dragged any closer towards the relegation zone in the coming months.

Billy Mulley

I do like the look of this proposed move, as I'm a big believer that Alfie Mawson has the ability to shine in the Championship.

He hasn't seen enough game time at Fulham recently to really determine how this move would work out but I think most Championship clubs would be excited by his potential arrival.

Mawson is someone who reads the game incredibly well, whilst possessing the aerial ability and strength to flourish in Lee Bowyer's side.

He is also a player who trusts his ability on the ball and can help progress play from defensive positions.

It will be interesting to see if Mawson comes and Sanderson becomes available once again, if the Blues will make another move for the Wolves defender.

Mawson would bolster Birmingham's backline and I can honestly say that they would probably possess one of the best defences in the division

Ben Wignall

With Harlee Dean's exit from St. Andrew's looking extremely likely, Birmingham will need more than Teden Mengi in defence this month to see them through until the end of the season.

And with Mawson not getting the game-time he needs at Fulham it would make a lot of sense if he were able to depart Craven Cottage.

Mawson moved to Fulham for a fee of around £20 million which shows how highly-rated he once was, but multiple knee injuries have seen him become simply a back-up at Marco Silva's side.

He's made six appearances in the Championship this season and there's an argument to be had that he's needed for depth at the club for the rest of the season, however, he's out of contract in June and his long-term future needs thinking about.

Birmingham could help him secure that and it would be in Fulham's best interests to let the player go – Birmingham may not be in a play-off push on the basis of recent results but he would be a very good addition if he's injury-free and be a very viable Dean replacement.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/would-be-an-excellent-piece-of-business-birmingham-keen-on-championship-defender-the-verdict/

WhiteJC

The former Fulham coach managing Malawi at AFCON

There's a terrific piece by Dave Hynter in the Guardian interviewing the Romanian-born Brit Mario Marincia, who was sensationally installed as Malawi's new manager last month ahead of the African Cup of Nations. Marincia, whose route into coaching began with John Sitton at Leyton Orient, spent a year working with Fulham's youngsters and assisting the club's award-winning Fulham in the Community scheme.

The coaching odyssey that has taken Marincia all around the world had a twist in December when, a month after hiring him as the new technical director, the Football Association of Malawi announced he would instead be the interim manager for the Cup of Nations. Even more bizarre is the fact that the man he has replaced, Meck Mwase, would save as Marinicia's number two before assuming his old job again after the finals. Talk about an unconventional build up.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/01/the-former-fulham-coach-managing-malawi-at-afcon/

WhiteJC

De Havilland`s Back on Loan in Premier Division South
Midfielder Ryan De Havilland has signed for Pitching In Southern League Premier Division South club Beaconsfield Town on a month`s loan from Vanarama National League side Barnet.

De Havilland, who turns 21 next weekend, arrived at The Hive London in October from Championship side Fulham on a permanent deal.

The central midfielder enjoyed a successful youth career with the Cottagers, where he spent eleven years but was released at the end of last season.

Whilst within the Fulham youth system, he spent a brief loan spell with Beaconsfield`s league rivals Metropolitan Police where he featured on 3 occasions, and earlier this season, had another loan spell in the Premier Division South with Hayes & Yeading United, where he appeared 5 times.

https://southern-football-league.co.uk/news/130522/De-Havilland%60s-Back-on-Loan-in-Premier-Division-South

filham

A nice little factual summary on our beloved Johnny Haynes but obviously not written written by a Fulham fan from the Haynes era, the strong heart felt feeling is just not there.
A couple of minutes looking at the Haynes statue will bring so many good memories flooding back and will give us much more satisfaction than reading that brief article.

WhiteJC