more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff - 10/01/22...

Started by WhiteJC, January 10, 2022, 09:03:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham handed blow in transfer pursuit of 25-year-old midfielder

Fulham's attempts to sign Frenchman Angelo Fulgini this month could be scuppered by Marseille, according to a report from The Sun.

The Cottagers have been long-term admirers of the 25-year-old attacking midfielder, who plies his trade for Angers in Ligue 1.

Fulgini has three goals and two assists in 18 league outings to his name this season, adding two his seven goals and four assists from the 2020-21 campaign in France's top flight.

Marco Silva is keen to add Fulgini to his ranks, especially if Fabio Carvalho is cashed in on this month with his future at Craven Cottage uncertain, and the London club are potentially willing to meet the £18 million asking price of Angers.

That is something that Marseille are not willing to do, per The Sun, however their interest in general could provide a major road block for Fulham's attempts at a deal this month.

As well as Marseille, Premier League Burnley are also interested in Fulgini but they are only keen on doing loan deals in the January transfer window.

The Verdict

It's really hard to see Fulham spending the money required to get a deal done for Fulgini this month.

They already spent a fair amount of cash in the summer on Harry Wilson and most of that hasn't been paid yet to get around Financial Fair Play requirements, so it would take similar clever planning to strike a deal for Fulgini.

Marseille making contact for the creative midfielder though could push Silva's side back in the race though – even though it's doubtful that the French side will meet the asking price either.

This one could be one for the summer and not January – if Fulgini is still available from Angers at that time.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-handed-blow-in-transfer-pursuit-of-25-year-old-midfielder/

WhiteJC

Michael Hector shares message after rare Fulham outing at Bristol City

Fulham defender Michael Hector has taken to Instagram to share a message after making a rare appearance for his side in their FA Cup clash with Bristol City.

Due to the presence of Tosin Adarabioyo and Tim Ream, Hector has been forced to watch on from the sidelines for the majority of the 2021/22 campaign.

Having only featured on three occasions in the Championship during the current term, the defender would have been determined to prove his worth to Fulham boss Marco Silva yesterday at Ashton Gate.

Hector went on to produce a positive performance against the Robins as the Cottagers booked their place in the fourth round of the competition.

After the two sides were unable to be separated in normal time, Harry Wilson scored what turned out to be the winning goal in the 105th minute.

The Wales international fired home from the edge of the box as his effort deceived goalkeeper Max O'Leary.

Fulham will be looking to build upon this victory when they face Reading in the Championship on Tuesday.

Following his side's latest triumph, Hector admitted on Instagram that he enjoyed his return to action.

The defender posted: "Good to be back on the pitch. 120 mins and [a] clean sheet.Into the next round."

The Verdict

Hector will be looking to use this particular display as a platform to build upon heading into the closing stages of the season.

When you consider that the defender recorded WhoScored match ratings of 7.81, 6.99 and 7.56 during Fulham's league victories over Barnsley, Peterborough United and Blackburn Rovers, it is abundantly clear that he possesses the ability to deliver the goods at this level.

Therefore, Silva may find it beneficial to utilise him on a regular basis as he looks to guide Fulham back to the Premier League later this year.

Hector's assured performance against the Robins may force his team-mates to step up to the mark as the defender will be determined to retain his place in the club's starting eleven for the foreseeable future.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/michael-hector-shares-message-after-rare-fulham-outing-at-bristol-city/

WhiteJC

Colchester United looking to add to attacking options

COLCHESTER United are looking to bring in another forward - and want him to be a replacement for Sylvester Jasper.

The U's confirmed the signing of attacker Corie Andrews on loan from AFC Wimbledon, until the end of the season.

But they are aiming to bring in further attacking reinforcements in this month's transfer window.

And they are keen to draft in a player with similar attributes to Jasper, who has returned to Championship club Fulham following the completion of his loan spell at the JobServe Community Stadium.

Colchester head coach Hayden Mullins said: "We're looking for another forward but the problem especially in January is that a lot of other teams are looking at the same type of position.

"We're in the market with a few other different teams and we have to be competitive in what we want to try and do.

"We're looking which is good and we're going to strengthen even more.

"Hopefully we'll get a player in to replace Sylv.

"We're hoping to bring in someone along the lines of a Sylvester Jasper-type player, another option up top and really put some pressure on the boys who are in and around the team."

Jasper returned to Fulham last week, after his deal with Colchester until January expired.

The U's had been hoping to keep the talented 20-year-old and bring him back on loan, until the end of the season.

They had been holding discussions with Fulham about extending the winger's time at the JobServe Community Stadium.

Jasper made 24 league and cup appearances for the U's, scoring three times.

"Sylv's loan was up and I think he wants to explore things in a higher division which is fine," added Mullins.

"That's football.

"We thank him for his services and I spoke to Sylv on the phone.

Colchester have already made three signings, in this month's window.

They have brought in Andrews on loan from AFC Wimbledon and defender Tom Dallison (pictured above) on a permanent basis, from Crawley Town.

The U's have also added full-back Cameron Coxe on a permanent deal from Solihull Moors, after the Welsh defender had spent the first half of the season on loan with the League Two club.

Colchester are next in action on Tuesday night when they visit league leaders Forest Green Rovers, kick-off 7.45pm.

https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/19834616.colchester-united-looking-add-attacking-options/

WhiteJC

Fulham Drawn Away To Man City

Fulham has been drawn away to Manchester City in the Fourth Round of the FA Cup, following our 1-0 victory over Bristol City on Saturday.

The tie will take place over the weekend of 4-7th February 2022.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2022/january/09/Fulham-Drawn-Away-To-Man-City/

WhiteJC

Fulham face Manchester City in FA Cup

Fulham will travel to Manchester City in the fourth round of the FA Cup.

Marco Silva's men were picked out to travel to the Etihad Stadium in the penultimate tie of the draw after beating Bristol City in extra time yesterday afternoon. The tie is a repeat of the 2020 meeting between the sides that saw the Whites beaten 4-0 after being reduced to ten men early on. Pep Guardiola's eased into the fourth round with a comfortable victory over Swindon Town on Friday night.

The fixture will take place between Friday February 4 and Monday February 7.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/01/fulham-face-manchester-city-in-fa-cup/

WhiteJC

West Ham transfer news: Moyes 'would like to sign' £8.1m star he 'knows from Everton'

West Ham United are likely to be interested in a deal to sign Fulham full-back Antonee Robinson in the January transfer window, according to journalist Pete O'Rourke.

The Hammers have been linked with a potential move to sign the USA international in this transfer window as they bid to bolster their squad this month.

What's the latest with West Ham?

They are reported to be in the market for reinforcements.

The Hammers have seen a few first-team players go down to injuries, with Angelo Ogbonna, Kurt Zouma, and Aaron Cresswell all currently on the sidelines.

They have been linked with moves for a new centre-back as a result of their defensive duo's fitness issues, while a new striker has also been touted as a potential target.

The injury sustained by Cresswell has led to the Hammers deploying both Arthur Masuaku and Ben Johnson in the left-back role.

And O'Rourke believes that Robinson may be seen as an attainable target that would appeal to Moyes in this window.

Indeed, he will surely be aware of the American star's development, having begun his career at Everton and played for the youth teams between 2008 and 2015.

During his time at Fulham, the 24-year-old has made 52 appearances and has played 19 times this term, with the club again aiming to win promotion to the Premier League.

What did O'Rourke say?

Speaking to GiveMeSport, he said: "I can imagine it'd be somebody that David Moyes would like, he probably knows him from Everton when he was there as a youngster so there might be a long term link there."

Would Robinson be a good signing?

The Fulham star has a contract that runs until 2024 but he may well be a more attainable option than other potential left-back targets for the club.

They have been linked with a swoop for Everton's Lucas Digne but he would reportedly cost around £30m in this transfer window.

A move to sign Robinson would be more cost-effective and Moyes also has an exceptional record of buying from the Championship.

He has signed the likes of Jarrod Bowen and Said Benrahma from the second-tier in recent seasons and moving for Robinson would follow that philosophy of low-cost, high-reward signings.

He has been exceptional for Fulham since his arrival back in 2020; it may be the right time for him to step up to the Premier League.

https://www.givemesport.com/1816450-west-ham-transfer-news-moyes-would-like-to-sign-81m-star-he-knows-from-everton

WhiteJC

Bristol City old boys Joe Bryan and Bobby Reid deserve our gratitude and respect, not boos

Bristol Live fan columnist Math Withers discusses Bristol City's elimination to Fulham in the FA Cup and a less than welcoming homecoming for two former Robins

So, we go out at the third round of the FA Cup but there were lots of positives to take from the game. The difference in the end arguably came down to Fulham's substitutions, bringing on £45+ million's worth of talent in Aleksandar Mitrovic, Tom Cairney and Harry Wilson. With Wilson's cross come shot in the 105th minute of extra time being the all-important winner.

From the off, this was a confident display from City; we were brave at the back, looking to bring the ball out and played with good energy and tempo. It was good to see Rob Atkinson return to form and Ayman Benarous showed just what a good player he is and surely a star of the future.

Cam Pring, fresh from signing his new contract, put in an outstanding performance, left of a back three. Cam was strong at the back making crucial blocks and challenges but also got forward well and could have opened his City account.

We created numerous chances but just couldn't find the quality needed in the final third. Han-Noah Massengo, Nahki Wells, Chris Martin, Callum O'Dowda and Tommy Conway all had really good opportunities to score.

The substitutions when they came on contributed and this was for me our most complete performance of the season. Pearson's side dominated possession against a very good Fulham team but rather than the sideways and backwards possession we have seen, this was with a purpose and intent.

It wasn't one-way traffic by any means and City were in the end reliant on two worldy saves from Max O'Leary from Cairney and Neeskens Kebano to keep the score at just the one. Max is playing with confidence, and the upturn in performance has a lot to do with his calmness and distribution from the back. It was a really enjoyable game to watch.

Whilst on the pitch everything was positive, off the pitch I was really disappointed, and that's putting it mildly, at the booing by some fans of former City favourites Bobby Reid and Joe Bryan.

Let me firstly say that I totally appreciate that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. We all pay our money and we can all have our say, but for the life of me I don't understand why any of our fans would boo two Bristolians, ex-academy players who gave their all for the club and left to better their careers and fundamentally the lives of their families with massive increases in salary.

Their transfers also made Bristol City a considerable amount of money, which in light of recent announcements would have been invaluable.

I know that fans who booed Reid cite the fact that he signed for rivals Cardiff City and after signing was pictured doing 'The Ayatollah', a tradition that Cardiff City have used since the 1990s.

But does that really warrant the booing of a player that joined Bristol City at seven years old, stayed for 18 years and earned the club a reported £10million in transfer fee.

As I am writing this, coincidentally, it's four years to the day that he gave me one of my proudest moments as a City fan, when he slotted home a penalty in the 44th minute, away at Manchester City in the Carabao Cup semi-final first leg.

Total scenes, with more fans travelling to the Etihad Stadium that night than attended the FA Cup game against Fulham on Saturday. It gives me goose bumps thinking about it.

When Bobby left the club, he put out a social media post to Robins fans thanking them, explaining his love of the club, the hurdles that he had to overcome and the pathway that saw him achieve what he did.

He spoke of giving everything for the club and of his memories and whilst he understood that some fans may hate him for the move, he had ambitions of playing in the Premier League and he couldn't turn the opportunity down but would always love Bristol City.

Does playing 30 games for Cardiff City in just over one season and tapping his head to integrate with his new fanbase, really override 18 years at our club? I loved watching Match of the Day and seeing Bobby score in the Premier League, ironically against Fulham. This was a Bristol boy doing us proud.

As I say for some, they feel there is a justifiable reason to boo Reid but what of Joe Bryan? Joe, like Reid, was an academy graduate who signed his first professional contract with the club in 2011 and went on to make 230 appearances, scoring 16 goals.

I can still clearly see in my mind's eye, Joe's curling effort against Bristol Rovers in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy, his fantastic finish for Steve Cotterill's promotion winners at home in the league to Swindon Town and of course his unbelievable strike against Jose Mourinho's Manchester United in the Carabao Cup quarter final.

I've been at a number of away grounds watching City after Joe left and have seen him in the away end supporting the club that he loves and having photos with fans young and old.

I wonder how many of those that booed Joe on Saturday, stayed and watched him applaud the fans that remained and saw him give his shirt to a fan in the Lansdown Stand?

I also know just how much Bobby and Joe did for local charities, giving their time and money to support youngsters going through the toughest of battles.

There is also the point that boing players who could potentially return to the club in the future given their upbringing may taint their view on returning. Both are still relatively young and could in the future make a contribution. Neither has slagged the club off, and have said nothing but good things about City and its fans.

Maybe it's my age, but I appreciate what the likes of Bobby and Joe did for my club and have no problem whatsoever in them bettering their lives and the lives of their family.

Like Bobby and Joe, former favourite Albert Adomah was booed by a section of fans, despite clearly showing his love of the club every time that he has played us. Just over a week ago, Millwall's Benik Afobe scored against us and was quite rightly not booed, a player who made only 12 appearances for the club.

I can tell you, I for one won't be booing Aden Flint and Marlon Pack when they return to Ashton Gate in a couple of weeks' time with Cardiff City, choosing instead to remember all the enjoyment that they gave me in their time at City; the goals they scored and the fact they were part of a side that gave me my greatest ever season as a fan.

A footballer's career is a short one and when opportunities arise to improve your salary (five or six times over), why wouldn't you, irrespective of who the side is? How many of us in the stands would turn that down?

Let's celebrate what players have done for us rather than castigate them for who their employer is now. It's important to say that the booing was very much by a minority and that this minority don't represent the majority.

Our 3 Peaps In a Podcast Bonus show ratings this week were: Max O'Leary 7, Tomas Kalas 8, Rob Atkinson 7, Cameron Pring 9 *MotM, Alex Scott 6, Andy King 6, Han Noah Massengo 7, Callum O'Dowda 5, Ayman Benarous 7, Nahki Wells 6 and Chris Martin 5.

For Nige it was a 7. The last three games have seen a change in style of play and a greater consistency, with an attacking intent. No one is getting carried away but there are steady signs of improvement. The current team average for the season is 5.87 with an expected performance rating of 6.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-bryan-bobby-reid-6465461