watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (29/12/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, December 29, 2010, 08:09:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6620041,00.html?

Baird delighted by double
Goal hero happy to earn Cottagers first away league win of season

Fulham goal hero Chris Baird was delighted to notch his first goals for the club in the 2-0 success over Stoke.

The Northern Ireland full-back hit an early piledriver to open the scoring at the Britannia Stadium before notching with a free-kick soon afterwards.

After being restored to the line-up for the game, the 28-year-old was justifiably happy to score to help his side out of the drop zone.

"I'm delighted obviously for myself to get the goals and take the three points for the team," he told Sky Sports, adding he knew the loose ball would sit up nicely for him for the first goal.

"Thankfully for me I got a good connection and obviously it went in.

"The second one, I knew I fancied straight away because I'd been doing a few in training and again thankfully it went in and we went on from there to get a vital three points for us."

Belief

Despite dropping into the relegation zone following the defeat to West Ham last time, Baird insisted Mark Hughes' side had never lost their belief.

"I think this week obviously the defeat against West Ham was very disappointing for us but all in all we are still confident we can climb up the table fast," he said.

"There's a lot more games and there's plenty more points to play for and I'm sure, me personally, that we can climb up the table and be safe."

Baird added: "We know we've been playing well, that's the main thing for us.

"We've been unlucky with a lot of draws, and there's a few of them we should have won, but I'm just glad to get the three points today."

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2010/12/chris-cant-believe-it/?

Chris can't believe it
by DAN on DECEMBER 28, 2010

Chris Baird was ecstatic after breaking his goalscoring duck with a brilliant brace in Fulham's 2-0 win at Stoke.

I'm delighted, my first goals for Fulham. The first one I couldn't have hit any better.

The second one I knew I was going to take right from the start as soon as we got the free kick, thankfully it went in for me. The second one I knew I was going to take right from the start as soon as we got the free kick, thankfully it went in for me.

The Northern Ireland international conceded that the last couple of days after a demoralising defeat by West Ham had been difficult and praised his team-mates for producing such a solid defensive performance.

It's been a tough time for us of late, we've not kept many clean sheets in the past few games but [we're] delighted especially coming here to Stoke where you're always going to be under a lot of pressure, they're a good team. I thought we dealt with it unbelievably well and we're just glad to get a clean sheet and three points.

When you drop into the bottom three it's not nice but thankfully today we got the three points. Hopefully it will lift us out of the bottom three and we can get a good run together and stay out of there.

WhiteJC

http://www.itv.com/sport/football/news/hughes-savours-rare-away-success-54549/?

Hughes savours rare away success

Fulham boss Mark Hughes believes his players may have achieved a "season-defining" result with their 2-0 victory at Stoke.

The Cottagers moved out of the Barclays Premier League relegation zone thanks to Chris Baird's early double at the Britannia Stadium, the Northern Ireland international striking twice from outside the area in the opening 10 minutes.

"There was real intensity to our focus before and during the game," Hughes said after Fulham's first away win away from home in the Premier League in 27 attempts. "We came here with frustration - that was the thing we were all feeling in terms of where we were sat in the league, but that helped our focus and I thought we were immense."

He added: "Everybody on the field of play was exceptional - big performances from every part of the team, and that is what you need. Maybe that has been lacking in away games, that intensity that you need and resolute mindset. So we set the standard in terms of that and it could be a season-defining win for us."

Hughes agreed with the suggestion that the result was a monkey off the back with regard to Fulham's away record and was delighted to see his players bounce back from their Boxing Day defeat against West Ham, after which speculation had grown that he could soon be facing the axe.

"This week it seems to have been me, next week it will be someone else - that is the nature of the job and we all accept it," Hughes said.

Hughes did not receive a handshake after the game from his opposite number Tony Pulis, something the 47-year-old believed was a reaction to how he had conducted himself at the end of the Carling Cup third round tie between Stoke and Fulham in September.

"He is probably getting his own back, because I did a similar thing last time in the League Cup because I was a little bit aggrieved one of his players (Andy Wilkinson) had taken out Moussa Dembele when it was unnecessary," Hughes said.
Pulis confirmed that to be the case.

"He has done it when we played in the League Cup and now I have done it back," Pulis said. "It's two Welshmen with a bit of competition. I certainly won't lose any sleep over it and I'm sure he won't."

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1342309/Fulham-make-Blackburn-defender-Chris-Samba-January-window.html?

Fulham to make move for Blackburn defender Chris Samba in January window

Fulham hope to make Chris Samba their first signing of the January transfer window but the Blackburn defender wants assurances over Mark Hughes's future first.

Samba handed in a transfer request at Ewood Park recently in protest at the sacking of manager Sam Allardyce and was stripped of the club captaincy.

Hughes also wants a centre forward, with Cluj's Lacina Traore a target, but will resist the temptation to take injury-prone Manchester City forward Roque Santa Cruz on loan.

Bobby Zamora is expected back from a leg break at the end of next month.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1342309/Fulham-make-Blackburn-defender-Chris-Samba-January-window.html#ixzz19UDlj7s0

WhiteJC

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=goal-fulhambossmarkhugheswinatst

Fulham Boss Mark Hughes: Win At Stoke City Could Be Season-Defining

Mark Hughes hailed Fulham's 2-0 victory over Stoke City at the Britannia Stadium as a turning point for his side's season.

Two first half strikes from Chris Baird were enough for victory as the Cottagers grabbed their first three points on the road this season with ease, but the former Manchester City boss was quick to stress that it was a team effort, with his players all determined to turn the corner after a miserable Boxing Day defeat to West Ham.

"We came here with frustration in terms of where we sat in the league," Hughes told reporters after the game, "but that helped our focus and I thought we were immense.

"Everyone on the field was exceptional and there were big performances from every part of the team, and that's what you need in away games.

"That intensity, that resolute mindset that we haven't had, but we set the standard today — it could be a season-defining win for us."

The win away from home, Fulham's first in almost 30 attempts, was fully warranted according to the Welshman, who also admitted that he has not sought the support of the board despite the pressure from the media and fans, who were vocal in their dissent after the defeat to the Hammers.

"There's parts of our game that haven't lent themselves to enabling us to win away," said Hughes, "but I thought today every aspect of our game was spot on; we were strong and aggressive when we had to be and we fully deserved the win."

Asked whether he had sought assurances from the Fulham board concerning his job security, Hughes replied: "No, I don't think I need to. I've got great support from them."

Pushed as to his relief at passing on the pressure to someone else, Hughes was philosophical.

"This week it's been me, next week it'll be someone else," he said.

"That's the nature of the job, we all accept it. It's not nice when that focus lands at your doorstep.

"I know I've got a good group of players and when the rub of the green lands their way I know we'll have no problems this season."

It wasn't luck that earned three points, however, as Fulham dominated the first half with some slick passing and efficient pressing that prevented their opponents from building any momentum, a 45 minute period that Hughes described as "excellent".

And to cap off the performance, Baird's two goals, having not scored in nearly four years, were savagely struck from outside of the area, with his manager describing the first - a thumping half-volley - as "arguably the goal of the season."

WhiteJC

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/sport/football/4499783/Fulham-too-strong-for-Stoke?

Baird's early double takes Fulham past Stoke

Chris Baird's early double allowed Fulham to end its dreadful run of away results in the Premier League with a much-needed 2-0 victory at Stoke today.

The Northern Ireland defender, who hadn't previously scored for Fulham, found the net with long-range strikes in the fourth and 10th minutes to ease the pressure on manager Mark Hughes, whose side started the match in the relegation zone.

It was the London club's third victory of the campaign - and first away from home in the league in 27 attempts, a poor record that stretched back to August 2009.

The win provisionally lifted Fulham out of the bottom three, above Birmingham and Wigan, who both have games in hand.

Baird hadn't found the net in 3 years for Fulham, but he ended that unwanted record in fine style.

His first arrived when he latched on to a partially cleared header by Stoke defender Danny Collins and smashed a 20-yard shot in off the right-hand post.

Fulham went 2-0 up thanks to another fine strike from a similar distance by Baird, who ran on to Danny Murphy's layoff from a free kick and drilled a low strike into the corner.

Andrew Johnson, Fulham's lone striker in the continued absence of injured pair Bobby Zamora and Moussa Dembele, had already gone close by then. He was then denied by a last-ditch tackle from defender Ryan Shawcross as he bore down on goal near the end of the first half.

Shawcross had a header cleared off the line by Murphy just before the break, and center forward Kenwyne Jones headed a good opportunity just wide of the post midway through the second half.

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6620124,00.html?

Hughes - I've great support
Fulham boss not fretting about his future in the job

Mark Hughes insists he has not sought assurances from Fulham owner Mohamed Al Fayed regarding his future as manager.

Fulham have struggled for form this season and sit just outside the relegation zone following Tuesday's 2-0 win at Stoke City.
The success at the Britannia Stadium was a first away from home this season and is reported to have eased the pressure on Hughes.
The Boxing Day defeat at home by fellow strugglers West Ham United had led to claims that Hughes had just three games to save his job despite only taking over in the summer.

Speaking after the victory over Stoke, Hughes confirmed he had talked to Al Fayed, but had not seen the need to discuss his future at Craven Cottage.

Instead, Hughes believes the Fulham chairman understands the current situation and outlined an intention to strengthen his squad in the January transfer window.

Very supportive

Asked if he had sought assurances about his future from the Fulham board, Hughes said: "No, not at all. I don't feel I need to.

"I have got great support from (chief executive) Alistair Mackintosh and I spoke to the chairman (Mohamed Al Fayed) last night, who is very supportive.

"They understand where we are and what we need, and the reasons why we find ourselves in the bottom half.

"We will look to address them, but in the meantime, the guys I have got playing for me are doing their best, and we were excellent."

WhiteJC

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/12/28/stoke-0-2-fulham/?

Stoke 0-2 Fulham
Filed under: Match reports — rich

Go figure.  I'll get a report sorted at some point in the next day or so, but, well, taking chances, eh?

v Stoke 61% of 383 passes, outshot 9 to 4.

v West Ham 78% of 631 passes, 16 to 9 shots.

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/stoke-0-2-fulham-rare-baird-double-helps-ease-hughes-pressure-1349301?

Stoke 0-2 Fulham: Rare Baird double helps ease Hughes pressure

Chris Baird scored a rare double to help Fulham record a vital 2-0 win over Stoke City at Britannia Stadium.

The Northern Ireland defender scored his first-ever Premier League goals for the Cottagers and they came at a desperate time as it Mark Hughes' team's first triumph in nine outings.

Stoke City: 0
Fulham: 2 (Chris Baird 4'/10')

Venue: Britannia Stadium, Stoke-on-Trent
Crowd: 26,954
Yellow cards: SC - Robert Huth 81'
FUL - Chris Baird 55', Clint Dempsey 90'

GOALS Things started well for the struggling Londoners when Baird fired home from close range in just the fourth minute when a Simon Davies cross from the left was not cleared properly by the Potters' defence.

GOAL And it was a horror start for the home side when Baird struck from long range after being teed up from a free-kick.

Stoke dominated proceedings from then with 17 attempts on goal to Fulham's five but the damage had been done as Hughes' men climbed ever-so-slightly away from the drop zone whilst Stoke undid their good work in their 2-0 away win over Blackburn Rovers a few days ago.

WhiteJC

http://mexico.worldcupblog.org/players-in-europe/english-fa-block-ochoas-move-to-fulham.html

English FA block Ochoa's move to Fulham

Memo Ochoa's move to Fulham was all but signed and sealed until it was blocked by the English FA at the last minute because the specially made glove he wears on his right hand is illegal!

Memo Ochoa is Polydactyly meaning he has an extra finger, a little known fact, but one that has become problematic in finalising his move to London Premier league club Fulham.

Ochoa has six fingers on his right hand and consequently wears a specially made glove by sponsors Nike. Fulham were obliged to register this abnormality with the FA who in turn ruled his gloves were illegal due to their size as this gave him an unfair advantage over his opponents.

Only by squeezing two fingers inside the finger of a regular glove would he be eligible to play in the English league. According to Ochoa, this has proven very difficult in the past and restricts his ability to punch and throw the ball as his right arm is his strongest arm.

This rather bizarre obstacle to teaming up with Carlos Salcido at Fulham may be a blessing in disguise however as other football associations in Europe do not have such strict restrictions on goalkeeping equipment and a move to Spain for example is still a possibility with Atletico Madrid, Saville and Deportivo all rumoured to be interested in bringing Memo to La Liga

WhiteJC

http://www.iol.co.za:80/sport/soccer/premier-league/fulham-end-run-of-bad-luck-1.1005785?

Fulham end run of bad luck

Stoke, England – Chris Baird's early double allowed Fulham to end their dreadful run of away results in the Premier League with a much-needed 2-0 victory at Stoke on Tuesday.

The Northern Ireland defender, who hadn't previously scored for Fulham, found the net with long-range strikes in the fourth and 10th minutes to ease the pressure on manager Mark Hughes, whose side started the match in the relegation zone.

It was the London club's third victory of the campaign – and first away from home in the league in 27 attempts, a poor record that stretched back to August 2009.

The win provisionally lifted Fulham out of the bottom three, above Birmingham and Wigan, who both have games in hand. – Sapa-AP

WhiteJC

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Rare-away-victory-propels-Fulham.6673617.jp?

Rare away victory propels Fulham out of bottom three

Fulham moved out of the Barclays Premier League relegation zone as Chris Baird's early brace gave them a 2-0 win at Stoke.

Baird, who had never scored for the Cottagers before, struck twice from outside the area in the opening 10 minutes to lift some of the pressure on his manager Mark Hughes. The Northern Ireland international was an unlikely goalscorer to seal an unlikely result, as the London outfit recorded their first away win in the league in 27 attempts.

West Ham blew the chance to haul themselves out of the drop zone as Everton claimed a deserved 1-1 draw at Upton Park. The Hammers took the lead when Tony Hibbert diverted Radoslav Kovac's tame overhead kick into his own net. The visitors hit back three minutes before half-time through Seamus Coleman before Carlton Cole wasted a glorious opportunity to win it for the home side.

DJ Campbell returned to haunt Sunderland manager Steve Bruce as Blackpool became just the second away team to win a league game at the Stadium of Light in 2010. Bruce had given Campbell his first chance in the Premier League during his time as Birmingham manager, but saw his former charge produce a 52nd-minute volley and a late second goal which handed the Seasiders their fifth league win on the road this season.

Nikola Kalinic scored twice and was sent off as Blackburn won for the first time under new manager Steve Kean with a 3-1 success at West Brom. Kalinic twice gave Rovers the lead at The Hawthorns before being dismissed for a poor challenge on Paul Scharner shortly after Mame Biram Diouf added a third.

WhiteJC

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/219960/Stoke-0-Fulham-2-Baird-brace-is-music-to-Fulham-ears-?

STOKE 0, FULHAM 2: BAIRD BRACE IS MUSIC TO FULHAM EARS

STOKE 0, FULHAM 2: MARK HUGHES has not felt much like smiling recently, but when it was put to him that he might have handed on the baton of Premier League manager most likely to next be given his marching orders he broke into a broad grin.

"This week it has been me, next week it will be someone else," he said after this tricky away victory over Stoke.

"It is not nice when that focus lands on your doorstep but if this group of players play as well as they did today, we will have no problems this season."

Fulham have, of course, had plenty of problems this season, what with injuries to key men and a run of draws that have left Hughes feeling the heat. Defeat on Boxing Day against West Ham had left them in the bottom three.

But two early goals from an unlikely source, the recalled left-back Chris Baird – the first a contender for goal of the season according to Hughes – and a defiant effort from the rest of his side in the face of "a bit of an onslaught" from Stoke gave them the three points.

It was the first time since the opening day of last season that Fulham have won away from Craven Cottage and it lifted them out of the relegation places.

It was little wonder Hughes maintained that this could be a "season-defining result".

There had been little attempt from Hughes or a clearly tense inner circle in the dugout to disguise the fact that Boxing Day had left the manager under real pressure. For all that, Hughes resisted the temptation to make wholesale changes to the line up – Baird just one of two coming in to give a cool head and some defensive stability on the left. What he actually brought was a strike from distance after just four minutes that beat Asmir Begovic from 20 yards, thudding in off the inside of the post.

Better still was to come after Jermaine Pennant clipped the heels of Simon Davies to give Fulham a free-kick in roughly the same position another six minutes later. Baird stepped up and sent Fulham fans into convulsions, thumping a free-kick low and inside the far post.

For all that it was a perfect start, the Britannia is not a place for faint hearts in away kits and few have been fainter than Fulham. But in the face of the backlash – Stoke responding to the crowd's deafening encouragement – Fulham held firm.

There was little love lost between the two managers at the end of the match with Tony Pulis refusing to shake Hughes's hand at the final whistle. Both men played it down, with Hughes insisting he had done the same thing to the Stoke manager after a League Cup match here earlier in the season during which Moussa Dembele had been injured in a challenge by Andy Wilkinson.

Hughes said: "Tony offered his hand initially and took it away. I'm big enough to accept that, if that's how he wants to be. We took the three points, though, so I'm happy with that."

Stoke (4-4-2): Begovic; Wilkinson (Wilson 80), Shawcross, Huth, Collins; Pennant, Whitehead, Delap, Etherington (Tuncay 69); Walters (Fuller 55), Jones. Booked: Huth.

Fulham (4-4-2): Schwarzer; Pantsil, Hughes, Hangeland, Baird; Duff, Murphy, Etuhu, Davies; Dempsey, Johnson. Booked: Baird, Dempsey. Goals: Baird 4, 10.

Referee: K Friend (Leicestershire).

Read more: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/219960/Stoke-0-Fulham-2-Baird-brace-is-music-to-Fulham-ears-Stoke-0-Fulham-2-Baird-brace-is-music-to-Fulham-ears-#ixzz19UGffVKO

WhiteJC

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/169495/Stoke-0-Fulham-2-Belter-Chris-Baird-has-it-away-/?

STOKE 0 - FULHAM 2 - BELTER CHRIS BAIRD HAS IT AWAY!

Stoke 0 - Fulham 2

CHRIS BAIRD has had to wait 500 days for a Fulham away win in the Premier League – and even longer to end his own goal drought.

But Baird helped to produce one of the shocks of the season with his first strikes since March 2007 to remove a monkey the size of King Kong from Fulham's back.

Baird's stunning salvo inched the Cottagers out of the drop zone and eased the pressure on boss Mark Hughes.

Hughes has been struggling to step out of predecessor Roy Hodgson's shadow, but this first victory on the road since August last season was an ideal way to win over his critics.

He said: "It seems to have been me under pressure this week. It's never nice when that focus is on your doorstep, but I know I've got a good group of players.

"When we play as well as we did today, we'll have no problems at all this season.

"It's important to get points on the board, so we're delighted.

"We've maybe lacked that intensity and resolute mindset that you need in away games, so we've set the standard in terms of that. It could be a season- defining win for us.

"It's been too long since we've won away, but every aspect of our play here was spot on."

Hughes woke up yesterday to see bizarre stories linking Argentina legend Diego Maradona with a coaching job at Fulham.

But if a story had proclaimed a Fulham win with goals from Baird it would have been more unbelievable.

Baird last found the net for Southampton in the Championship.

So he must have stunned his team-mates when he seized upon a loose ball to arrow an unstoppable shot into the top corner from 20 yards after four minutes.

Baird doubled the lead after 10 minutes to send Hughes into a dad-at-a-wedding dance routine on the touchline.

Danny Murphy touched the ball on to Baird just outside the box and he drove another missile into the far corner.

Hughes said: "I'm not surprised because Baird is one of the best strikers of a ball that we have at the club.

"We're delighted it's come today, but that first goal was arguably a goal of the season."

Stoke lumbered in their attempts to claw a way back, with £8m club record signing Kenwyne Jones enduring a rough ride from his own fans.

It was not until a minute before half-time that they carved out their first chance only to be frustrated by Murphy, who, two months ago, infuriated Stoke after singling out the Potters for "dirty tackles".

Ryan Shawcross nodded a Matthew Etherington corner past a stranded Mark Schwarzer, but Murphy was on the line to head clear.

Stoke mounted an aerial bombardment in the second half, introducing subs Ricardo Fuller and Tuncay.

But Schwarzer was alert, keeping out a fierce effort from Robert Huth 20 minutes from time to help Fulham end a run of 27 away games without a win.

Pulis and Hughes were involved in a heated exchange at the final whistle, with the Stoke boss appearing to duck the traditional handshake.

He added: "Mark did the same to me when we played them in the Carling Cup, so I was just getting my own back.

"It's two Welshmen with a bit of competition and I'm sure I won't be losing any sleep over it.

"We've given Fulham a two-goal lead and it's very difficult then to chase the game. The start was very, very poor from us.

"We played well at Blackburn and were really bubbly, but like all human beings they let themselves down sometimes. I think our goalkeeper will see the two goals and think he could have done better."

WhiteJC

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/bairds-unlikely-double-allows-hughes-to-breathe-easily-again-2171088.html?

Baird's unlikely double allows Hughes to breathe easily again
Stoke City 0 Fulham 2

Khaki was a strange colour for Fulham to choose for their away kit. In terms of bloodlust and tenacity their nearest military equivalent has been the concert party in It Ain't Half Hot Mum.

They came to the Potteries not having won away from Craven Cottage since August 2009 while a 3-1 defeat to West Ham United on Boxing Day had seen Mark Hughes take a significant step towards the brink.

And yet such has been the essential perversity of the season that two goals from a footballer who had not found the net in more than three years ensured Fulham would have the game comfortably under control before 10 minutes were up.

Not even when he was growing up at Ballymena United was Chris Baird known for his goalscoring, although Hughes was surprised when he was informed that these were his first for Fulham, a club he had joined in the summer of 2007. At the club's training ground, Motspur Park, Baird is consistently one of his best strikers of a football.

The Stoke City manager, Tony Pulis, thought both were saveable by a goalkeeper of Asmir Begovic's ability. There were just four minutes gone when Danny Collins only half-cleared Simon Davies's cross and Baird responded with a shot that Begovic could only tip on to the inside of the post and see the ricochet finish in the net.

The second was struck just as fiercely, hit low from a free-kick that Danny Murphy pushed to Andy Johnson who held it up for Baird to drive low into the left-hand corner of Begovic's goal. Those Fulham fans peering through the fog that had seen the Britannia's floodlights turned on before noon might have struggled to see it, but Fulham were 2-0 up and almost safe.

In this season of bizarre managerial dismissals you would hesitate to say the same about Hughes. The club were said to be anxious rather than panicky about their league position and Hughes had spoken to Fulham's chairman, Mohamed Al-Fayed on Monday. "This week it was me under pressure, next week it will be somebody else," he said.

"But, if we play like we did today, there will be no problems."

Stoke's response was surprisingly ineffectual for a club with such a fearsome reputation on its own pitch. Murphy, jeered constantly because of his unflattering comments about Stoke's uncompromising brand of football, headed off the line in the first half but Mark Schwarzer's first serious save came in the 71st minute.

Neither manager shook hands at the finish, a dispute between two men from opposite ends of Wales that goes back to a Carling Cup game here in September. Nobody really seemed that bothered and with the game obviously won the Fulham fans launched into a chorus of "Jingle Bells". Usually, there are so few of them that most could be accommodated in a one-horse open sleigh but this win may encourage more to take to the road.

Stoke City (4-4-2): Begovic; Wilkinson (Wilson 79), Shawcross, Huth, Collins; Pennant, Whitehead, Delap, Hetherington (Tuncay 69); Walters (Fuller 55), Jones. Substitutes not used Sorensen (gk), Higginbotham, Whelan, Gudjohnsen, Fuller.

Booked Huth.

Fulham (4-4-2): Schwarzer; Paintsil, Hangeland, Hughes, Baird; Davies, Murphy, Etuhu, Duff; Dempsey, Johnson. Substitutes not used Stockdale (gk), Salcido, Gera, Kamara, Dikgacoi, Greening, Halliche.

Booked Baird, Dempsey.

Man of the match Baird.

Referee K Friend (Leicestershire)

Att 26,954.

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2010/12/sparky-satisfied-with-fulham-support/?

Sparky satisfied with Fulham support
by DAN on DECEMBER 29, 2010

Mark Hughes says he hasn't asked for any assurances about his job security despite Fulham's recent slide down the league table.

A 2-0 win at Stoke yesterday afternoon eased the pressure on Hughes and took Fulham out of the relegation places, but the former Welsh manager is happy that the club's board are right behind him.

No, not at all. I don't feel I need to [ask about my future]. I have got great support from Alistair Mackintosh and I spoke to the chairman last night, who is very supportive.

They understand where we are and what we need, and the reasons why we find ourselves in the bottom half. We will look to address them, but in the meantime, the guys I have got playing for me are doing their best, and we were excellen

WhiteJC

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/unlikely-hero-baird-hands-hughes-a-stay-of-execution-2476478.html?

Unlikely hero Baird hands Hughes a stay of execution
Stoke City 0
Fulham 2

An away victory for Fulham may not quite qualify as a Christmas miracle, but 500 days after they last won on their travels, the club's fans would be forgiven for seeking supernatural explanations. Their manager under pressure, their team under a hex, rescued by the unlikeliest of heroes.

Mark Hughes had entered this game condemned by silence, deafened by whispers: Mohamed al Fayed had failed to reassure the manager his position was safe; the Egyptian was sharpening his axe; Hughes had just three games to save his job; Diego Maradona would be installed as his replacement. His fate would be sealed by defeat at Stoke. Few fixtures this campaign seemed so preordained.

This Premier League season, though, continues to confound. Not only did Fulham win, but they won so well that Hughes felt able to describe the victory as "season defining".

Even more unlikely, though, was the identity of the man who saved Hughes from the executioner's chair. Both goals were scored, spectacularly, by Chris Baird, the full-back who had not scored since March 2007.

Even his team-mates could not believe their eyes when the first, a sweetly-struck volley that arrowed past Asmir Begovic, went in.

If Fulham are not supposed to win away, Northern Irish journeymen defenders are certainly not supposed to score goals like these. "It was a goal of the season contender," insisted Hughes. "It surprises me that he has not scored for so long, because he is one of the best strikers of the ball we have at the club."

The second, dispatched low to Begovic's left, was "a goal from the moment he hit it", said Hughes. (© Daily Telegraph, London)

- Rory Smith

Irish Independent

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/stoke-city/6621508/Hughes-savours-shock-away-win?

Hughes savours shock away win

Fulham boss Mark Hughes believes Tuesday's surprise 2-0 win at Stoke may prove to be a "season-defining" result for his side.

The Cottagers moved out of the Premier League relegation zone thanks to Chris Baird's early double at the Britannia Stadium, the Northern Ireland international striking twice from outside the area in the opening 10 minutes.

The win - Fulham's first away from home in the league in 27 attempts - lifted some of the pressure on Hughes, who paid tribute to what he felt was an outstanding all-round performance by his team.

"There was real intensity to our focus before and during the game," Hughes said.

"We came here with frustration - that was the thing we were all feeling in terms of where we were sat in the league, but that helped our focus and I thought we were immense.

"Everybody on the field of play was exceptional - big performances from every part of the team, and that is what you need.

"Maybe that has been lacking in away games, that intensity that you need and resolute mindset.

"So we set the standard in terms of that and it could be a season-defining win for us."

Hughes agreed with the suggestion that the result was a monkey off the back with regard to Fulham's away record and was delighted to see his players bounce back from their Boxing Day defeat against West Ham, after which speculation had grown that he could soon be facing the axe.

"This week it seems to have been me, next week it will be someone else - that is the nature of the job and we all accept it," Hughes said.

"It is not nice when that focus lands at your doorstep, but I know I have a good group of players that, given the rub of the green and when they play as well as they did, will have no problems this season."

Asked if he had sought assurances about his future from the Fulham board, Hughes said: "No, not at all. I don't feel I need to.

"I have got great support from (chief executive) Alistair Mackintosh and I spoke to the chairman (Mohamed Al Fayed) last night, who is very supportive.

"They understand where we are and what we need, and the reasons why we find ourselves in the bottom half.

"We will look to address them, but in the meantime, the guys I have got playing for me are doing their best, and we were excellent."

Hughes did not receive a proper handshake after the game from his opposite number Tony Pulis, something the 47-year-old believed was a reaction to how he had conducted himself at the end of the Carling Cup third round tie between Stoke and Fulham in September.

"He is probably getting his own back, because I did a similar thing last time in the League Cup because I was a little bit aggrieved one of his players (Andy Wilkinson) had taken out Moussa Dembele when it was unnecessary," Hughes said.

Pulis confirmed that to be the case.

"He has done it when we played in the League Cup and now I have done it back," Pulis said.

"It's two Welshmen with a bit of competition. I certainly won't lose any sleep over it and I'm sure he won't."

Stoke had two penalty appeals for handball turned down in the second half, although Pulis seemed more concerned with a tackle Brede Hangeland made on Rory Delap.

"The one situation that did disappoint me was the incident with Hangeland and Rory," said Pulis.

"It is a poor challenge and for the referee not to give a free-kick when he is standing two yards away from it was desperately disappointing.

"He might not book him, but he didn't even give a free-kick and he has really caught Rory.

"I don't know about the penalties, I haven't seen them again yet."

Fulham captain Danny Murphy mentioned Stoke specifically when talking about dangerous tackling earlier in the season, which prompted an angry rebuttal from Pulis at the time.

Murphy was booed by Potters fans whenever he touched the ball, but Pulis would not be drawn on the matter any further.

"What Danny Murphy said, he said," Pulis said.

"We are all entitled to our opinion - I have said my bit, Danny has said his and we move on."

WhiteJC

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/sport/football/4499783/Bairds-early-double-takes-Fulham-past-Stoke?

Baird's early double takes Fulham past Stoke

Chris Baird's early double allowed Fulham to end its dreadful run of away results in the Premier League with a much-needed 2-0 victory at Stoke today.

It was the London club's third victory of the campaign - and first away from home in the league in 27 attempts, a poor record that stretched back to August 2009.

The win provisionally lifted Fulham out of the bottom three, above Birmingham and Wigan, who both have games in hand.

Baird hadn't found the net in 3 years for Fulham, but he ended that unwanted record in fine style.

His first arrived when he latched on to a partially cleared header by Stoke defender Danny Collins and smashed a 20-yard shot in off the right-hand post.

Fulham went 2-0 up thanks to another fine strike from a similar distance by Baird, who ran on to Danny Murphy's layoff from a free kick and drilled a low strike into the corner.

Andrew Johnson, Fulham's lone striker in the continued absence of injured pair Bobby Zamora and Moussa Dembele, had already gone close by then. He was then denied by a last-ditch tackle from defender Ryan Shawcross as he bore down on goal near the end of the first half.

Shawcross had a header cleared off the line by Murphy just before the break, and center forward Kenwyne Jones headed a good opportunity just wide of the post midway through the second half.

WhiteJC

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/amateur-football/2010/12/29/mark-hughes-joy-at-fulham-s-first-away-win-100252-27900239/?

Mark Hughes joy at Fulham's first away win

FULHAM boss Mark Hughes believes his players may have achieved a "season-defining" result with their 2-0 victory at Stoke yesterday.

The Cottagers moved out of the Premier League relegation zone thanks to Chris Baird's early double at the Britannia Stadium, the Northern Ireland international striking twice from outside the area in the opening 10 minutes.

The win – Fulham's first away from home in the league in 27 attempts – lifted some of the pressure on Hughes, who paid tribute to what he felt was an outstanding all-round performance by his team.

"There was real intensity to our focus before and during the game," Hughes said.

"We came here with frustration – that was the thing we were all feeling in terms of where we were sat in the league, but that helped our focus and I thought we were immense.

"Everybody on the field of play was exceptional.

"Maybe that has been lacking in away games, that intensity that you need and resolute mindset.

"So we set the standard today in terms of that and it could be a season-defining win for us."

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/amateur-football/2010/12/29/mark-hughes-joy-at-fulham-s-first-away-win-100252-27900239/?#ixzz19UJ6JgBq