more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff - 14/01/22...

Started by WhiteJC, January 14, 2022, 12:03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

McDonald training with Dundee United

Former Fulham midfielder Kevin McDonald is training with Dundee United, according to the Daily Record.

United have given McDonald the use of their training facilities as he looks to restart his playing career having had a successful kidney transplant last year. The 33 year-old left Fulham in the summer after four years at Craven Cottage, during which he won two promotions from the Championship and made 127 appearances for the Whites.

The former Scottish international briefly trained with his first club Dundee last October and has now been given another opportunity to boost his fitness by their city rivals, who announced a collaboration with the Cottagers last week.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/01/mcdonald-training-with-dundee-united/

WhiteJC

Cyrus Christie – What happened with move for Fulham defender?

Was he signing or was he not?   Did we move for him or did we not?  Chaos seemed to reign yesterday as Alex Crook said that he was likely to sign, Wales Online said that it had fallen through and then it was even suggested that we weren't in for him in the first place.

He has allegedly already turned down Cardiff City who moved for him, maybe before they got Cody Drameh on loan from Leeds?   But the way this played out yesterday was slightly odd given that there was probably less than two hours before the first public link of the player to the deal actually falling through?

Or maybe it had actually fallen through when the first information was released or at least well on the way to falling through.   Maybe it will be resurrected one day before the window is closed.   The truth seems to be that none of us really know what is happening here which is the way it probably should be on many transfers.

Wales Online reports that "complications arose on Wednesday afternoon" before adding "The Swans remain interested in a move for Christie – whose Fulham contract expires in the summer.  It remains possible that a resolution can be reached with the Cottagers over a deal."

It's difficult to know what to take out of the days events surrounding Christie but we take some level of thought from the last sentence above which is that it remains possible that a resolution can be reached.

It is evident from listening to Russell Martin that he wants a replacement for Laird and there are a few options available of which Christie clearly remains one.   One things is for certain is that this transfer window is not passing us by quietly, it doesn't seem like a day is going past without a new name coming into the frame and plenty of discussion as to what could happen.

I wonder what today may bring!

https://planetswans.co.uk/2022/01/13/cyrus-christie-what-happened-with-move-for-fulham-defender/

WhiteJC

Fulham Humiliate Reading
By Hob Nob Anyone?

Reading's season continues to unravel at an alarming rate with a humiliating defeat at the hands of high flying Fulham. Given Reading's remarkable growing list of injuries to key players, the last thing they needed was Yiadom and Rahman their two experienced full backs departing to play the African nations Cup. With further injuries to Hallalovic, Araruna and Azeez following an embarrassing exit from the FA Cup at the weekend at the hands of non-league Kettering, few would have expected anything other than a Fulham win in spite of Reading's early season triumph at Craven Cottage. The seven goal margin of victory does not flatter the London side, but the score line does not tell the whole story.

https://www.royals.org/news/950/Fulham_Humiliate_Reading

WhiteJC

Fulham are as fierce as they are fragile and that equals fun times

Fulham may not be the best team in Championship history. They may not even be the best team in the Championship this season or the best Fulham side to ever play in the second tier. But one thing we know is that this Fulham side are the most entertaining the Championship has witnessed in quite some time.

The Cottagers' second 7-0 away demolition of the season – which came despite the opposition scoring the best two goals of the night, only for Andy Carroll to see both elements of what would have been a miraculous brace chalked off  – helped cement their place as certainly the best attacking team the EFL has to offer.

Marco Silva's time on these shores has been spent proving the doubters wrong before he had even taken charge of an English fixture (see Paul Merson et al) and then strengthening the very real doubts over his ability to manage owing to major weaknesses exposed at Hull (defending), Watford (loyalty) and Everton (the latest in a long line of bland managerial reigns at Goodison Park). In the summer, we wrote about how Fulham's appointment of the Portuguese manager was a last chance saloon for him in English football, and a big risk for the club too in securing another instant return to the top flight.

Fulham have been far from imperious – the victory over Reading was their first win in six games. An almost-imperious lead over the play-off spots had evaporated to the point where they sat below Bournemouth and Blackburn in the table and back amongst the fodder of those chasing the end-of-season lottery.

But results like Tuesday's go some way to showing just how dangerous this Fulham side can be. Forget analysis for a second too. This Fulham side are ridiculously fun, and sometimes, that matters more than anything. The Cottagers sit a point off top spot with a game in hands on the current leaders Bournemouth and while Reading may be some of the easiest opposition to play against at the moment, Bristol City, Birmingham, Stoke and Blackpool all look winnable fixtures through the rest of January.

A team that can and has scored seven on two separate occasions away from home this season, with the first of those being against the team currently in third thanks to the almost untouchable form shown since that November humiliation, shows just how many levels above the rest this Fulham side can be.

It would be harsh and remiss of us to suggest that Marco Silva is getting by on pure vibes, but stellar and superior tactical acumen is not required when the individuals in your team are just this good. Aleksandar Mitrovic's exploits are well documented, another brace for him in midweek taking his season's tally to 24 goals and six assists from 23 matches played. Harry Wilson's four assists, adding to two goals of his own, took the winger to 17 goal involvements for the campaign.

Just like Jean Tigana's famous Fulham side of the early millennium, this Cottagers team are not just good, they are capable of being so much better than any team in the division on their day. Having suffered two relegations from the top flight in three seasons while enduring some pretty tepid and uninspiring football, winning is one thing. To be well on course to score over 100 goals while still being able to claim no side in the division has conceded fewer makes for even more delightful reading for all those who follow the club.

Nights like Tuesday go some way to showing that when they mean business, Fulham are far too good for this division. As a team, they can still leave much to be desired but as 11 individuals, they can blow the opposition away with consummate ease. It may not be perfect, and Silva's flaws in management to date show it may not be sustainable in the long term of sustaining themselves in the Premier League if and when – though surely the latter – they get there.

But in becoming the first English side since the 19th century to score seven goals or more on multiple occasions away from home in the same season, this Fulham team have written themselves into the history books and on current form, will do so plenty more times between now and May.

Supporting Fulham may have been a rollercoaster ride in recent years, but being a fan of the Cottagers right now is a thrill for the ages. Fun and deadly in equal parts, the joy alone could carry Marco Silva and co. back to the Premier League this summer.

https://www.football365.com/news/fulham-fierce-fragile-fun-times-marco-silva

WhiteJC

Cyrus Christie: Swansea City sign Fulham right-back on loan

Cyrus Christie's most recent appearance came in the Republic of Ireland's friendly win over Qatar in October 2021

Swansea City have signed Fulham's Republic of Ireland international right-back Cyrus Christie on loan for the rest of the season.

Christie has been allowed to leave Fulham having made only one club appearance in 2021-22.

The 29-year-old played 44 Championship games while on loan at Nottingham Forest last season.

Former Coventry City, Middlesbrough and Derby County defender Christie is a replacement for Ethan Laird.

"This is a big club, playing brilliant football," Christie told the Swansea website.

"I want to help the lads push up the league, and this is a league where anything can happen, especially with those games in hand."

Manchester United recalled Laird from a season-long loan at Swansea last week and sent him instead to Bournemouth for the remainder of the Championship campaign.

Christie, who has 29 caps, looks to have played his last game for Fulham given that his contract at Craven Cottage expires at the end of the season.

He has made 376 club appearances - and scored eight goals - in a career which began with home-city team Coventry.

"I like to get forward and get assists, that has maybe been what I have made my career on," Christie added.

"When you do that some people do question your defensive side, but I have the numbers to back it up.

"But as an attacking player growing up, it was about getting forward and I feel I can create chances and provide assists.

"I am a front foot player, I like to be on the front foot and I want to get up to match sharpness as quick as possible and fit right in and show my quality."

Christie helped Fulham win promotion to the Premier League via the Championship play-offs in 2018 and 2020, and has played 68 times for the London club.

He is Swansea's second signing of the January transfer window after MK Dons goalkeeper Andrew Fisher.

Russell Martin's team are 17th in the Championship table ahead of Saturday's trip to Huddersfield Town, where Christie could make his debut.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59959162

WhiteJC

Cyrus Christie | I am hungry to show what I can bring to Swansea City

Cyrus Christie is hungry to show Swansea City exactly what he can do after sealing a loan move to the Swansea.com Stadium.

The 29-year-old defender joins from Fulham for the remainder of the 2021-22 season, subject to international clearance.

You can click the play icon to view his first interview with SwansTV in full.

The Republic of Ireland international brings vast Championship experience having featured for Coventry, Derby, Middlesbrough, Fulham and Nottingham Forest in the division, twice securing promotion via the play-offs with the Cottagers.

Christie bolsters head coach Russell Martin's options following Ethan Laird's recall, and the full-back or wing-back cannot wait to get down to work after the frustration of a lack of game time at Craven Cottage so far this term.

"I am buzzing that it is done and I am really happy to be here," he said.

"I am looking forward to playing some football again, I spoke to the manager and straight away he almost made my mind up for me.

"It's always great when a manager rings you and outlines everything he wants from you and how he sees you fitting in.

"He spoke about his ideas and as a footballer it goes a long way when you feel wanted by a manager.

"This is a big club, playing brilliant football. I thought Swansea did really well at Fulham, it's about those fine margins in the Championship and I hope I can bring some experience to the team, because it's a young team that is going places and playing football the right way."

Christie has built a reputation as an energetic wide player, able to get up and down the flanks effectively.

He has been a regular provider of assists through his career, but also possesses the speed and defensive solidity at the other end of the pitch.

And the man himself is determined to play his football for Swansea City in a positive, front-foot fashion.

"I like to get forward and get assists, that has maybe been what I have made my career on," he added.

"When you do that some people do question your defensive side, but I have the numbers to back it up.

"But as an attacking player growing up, it was about getting forward and I feel I can create chances and provide assists.

"I am a front foot player, I like to be on the front foot and I want to get up to match sharpness as quick as possible and fit right in and show my quality.

"It has been a tough time recently where I have not been able to show my full ability. The opportunity has been hard to come by, so I want to come here and show that quality and prove it.

"I want to help the lads push up the league, and this is a league where anything can happen, especially with those games in hand."

While Swans fans will be hoping Christie can bring success on the field, he has also received deserved plaudits for his work off it.

Coventry-born Christie has his own community initiative – the Cyrus Christie Foundation – which aims to bring about proactive social change to help inspire the next generation.

He was named on the 2021 Football Black List, which recognised the UK's most influential individuals from the black community working within football.

Manchester United's Marcus Rashford and Arsenal's Nikita Parris were also among those to receive the 'Players off the Pitch' accolade.

Christie was proud to be recognised, but says there is still much work to be done.

"I started the foundation maybe 18 months to two years ago, with a guy from Coventry, and he was able to help me put things in place to help it grow and help more people," he said.

"My end goal is to create a scholarship foundation that helps people who are underprivileged and maybe don't have the opportunities other people get to push through and succeed in their dreams.

"It's not just people who want to be footballers, there are people who want to be musicians, to be lawyers, to go to university and find those opportunities.

"There are many people who don't get the chance to get to certain places. It's about giving them the platform to reach their dreams and inspire the next generation.

"Of course, I was proud of being named on the Black List, it is great to be recognised among such great names and, like I said, it's about being able to help people.

"Obviously, Marcus Rashford has a bigger platform than me, but we are slowly making changes and you can see it.

"It's one of the biggest achievements you can have, to put smiles on people's faces and give them the opportunity that you did not have when you were younger.

"This world is about the next generation, they are coming up and need the opportunity to succeed.

"It was an honour to be named amongst such a group of people."

https://www.swanseacity.com/news/cyrus-christie-i-am-hungry-show-what-i-can-bring-swansea-city

WhiteJC

Swansea City Loan For Christie

The Club can confirm that Cyrus Christie has joined Swansea City on loan until the end of the season.

The 29-year-old Republic of Ireland international joins a Swansea outfit currently positioned 17th in the Sky Bet Championship table.

We wish Cyrus the best of luck for the remainder of the campaign.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2022/january/13/swansea-city-loan-for-christie/

WhiteJC

Christie joins Swansea on loan

Fulham full back Cyrus Christie has joined Swansea City on loan until the end of the season.

The Republic of Ireland defender wants to play regular football to revive his flagging international career – after making just one appearance under Marco Silva this season. Christie's proposed move to south Wales looked to have collapsed yesterday, but a dramatic turnaround saw Swansea boss Russell Martin secure his first choice target to replace the departed Ethan Laird.

Christie, whose contract at Craven Cottage is up at the end of the season, has made 68 appearances in three and a half years at Fulham and helped the Whites win promotion via the Championship play-offs twice.

The 28 year-old told Swansea's official website:

"I am buzzing that it is done and I am really happy to be here. I am looking forward to playing some football again, I spoke to the manager and straight away he almost made my mind up for me. It's always great when a manager rings you and outlines everything he wants from you and how he sees you fitting in.

He spoke about his ideas and as a footballer it goes a long way when you feel wanted by a manager. This is a big club, playing brilliant football. I thought Swansea did really well at Fulham, it's about those fine margins in the Championship and I hope I can bring some experience to the team, because it's a young team that is going places and playing football the right way."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/01/christie-joins-swansea-on-loan/

WhiteJC

Napoli Keep Tabs On Championship Defender

Napoli have been keeping tabs on Fulham defender Tosin Adarabioyo with a view to signing him in the summer transfer window.

The Serie A giants have been looking at options to bring in defensive reinforcements for next season and are considering a number of options on their table.

They have cast their net far and wide to scout potential players who could be added to their squad next summer.

And according to Italian daily Corriere dello Sport, Fulham's 24-year-old centre-back Adarabioyo is being closely watched by the Serie A giants.

The defender is one of the pillars of Fulham's defence and has already made 20 appearances in the Championship this season.

The Italian club have received good reports on him and also like the fact that he can play as a full-back as well.

The Serie A giants like him and are preparing to make a move for him in the next summer transfer window.

He is rated at €15m but the defender will enter the final 12 months of his contract at Fulham at the end of the season.

Napoli are hopeful that his price will drop in the summer if he does not sign a new contract with Fulham.

https://insidefutbol.com/2022/01/13/napoli-keep-tabs-on-championship-defender/543899/

WhiteJC

Games for the Weekend 15/01
Bristol City again, this time it's a league game at the Cottage.
So after our rescheduled game against Reading we now get to play Bristol City again for the second Saturday in a row.

So how do we follow a 0-7 away win? last time we scraped a 0-1 away against Peterborough, that was 6 wins on the bounce!
However as we saw from last weekend's game Bristol are a good side, better than their 15th place in the league might suggest? bearing in mind that we still have a game in hand, I'd settle for another narrow win to help us chase down top spot.

Our record against Bristol City is not very good with 3 wins, 5 losses and 3 draws.

Current form
Fulham DDDLW
Bristol WDLLW

I thought that everyone had a good game on Tuesday but as we'll be playing again next Tuesday my team would be...

COYW's

Games of Interest...
Saturday 15th

Luton v Bournemouth
Cardiff v Blackpool
Fulham v Bristol City
Millwall v Forest
QPR v West Brom

come on over to the forum and join in the conversation...
https://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?board=36.0

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/wordpress/?p=1925

WhiteJC

Napoli eyeing transfer raid for Fulham player

Italian giants Napoli have set their sights on Fulham defender Tosin Adarabioyo as a potential transfer target for the summer, according to Corriere dello Sport, via Inside Futbol.

Adarabioyo has been watched closely by the Serie A side according to the report but a move will not be made this month – instead they will wait for the 24-year-old's contract to enter its final 12 months when the summer comes around to try and get a better deal.

It would not be the first deal that Napoli have done with the Cottagers either should they secure Adarabioyo's signature, having signed Andre-Franck Zambo Anguissa on loan earlier this season with a view to making it permanent.

Former England youth international Adarabioyo signed for Fulham in 2020 from Manchester City following loan spells at both Blackburn Rovers and West Bromwich Albion and played 32 times in the Premier League under Scott Parker last season.

The centre-back has remained a starting figure under Marco Silva, playing 20 Championship matches so far this season and scoring twice and has recently emerged on the transfer radar of Newcastle United, according to The Sun.

The Verdict

Although Adarabioyo's contract expires next summer, Fulham have an option to extend it by a further year which will almost certainly be triggered.

That gives the London club some security over his future and it'll be no surprise if there's a host of clubs flocking to sign the defender in the summer.

But it also wouldn't be a shock to see interest this month in his signature with a few weeks of the window left – Newcastle for one have already been unsurprisingly linked.

Adarabioyo can only keep doing what he's doing for Fulham and the interest will ramp up, but Napoli may not have enough money to tempt the Cottagers to sell one of their prized assets in the summer.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/napoli-eyeing-transfer-raid-for-fulham-player/

WhiteJC

Christie makes loan move to Swansea

Cyrus Christie has joined Swansea on loan from Fulham for the rest of the season.

The 29-year-old right-back has been out of favour at Craven Cottage for some time and was behind Kenny Tete and Denis Odoi in the pecking order.

Christie spent last season on loan at Nottingham Forest and has made just one appearance for Fulham this term.

"This is a big club, playing brilliant football," Christie told the Swansea website.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/christie-makes-loan-move-to-swansea

WhiteJC

Club want Fulham player as part of summer 'rebuild' plans – €15m+ asking price expected

Napoli will have to look internally before looking elsewhere to shape up their squad next summer as they need to sort out contracts of those players who have six months left on their current deals.

Last August, the Serie A side had to wait until the deadline day to take André-Frank Zambo Anguissa on loan from Fulham, for whom they have an option to make the stay permanent.

Corriere dello Sport state the Italian club would avoid wanting to find themselves in a situation to 'face a theoretically emergency and practically complex situation' for the next summer window.

The newspaper points out it will be necessary for Luciano Spalletti's to 'rebuild the team' because 'many will leave' after this season, and Napoli and their sporting director, Cristiano Giuntoli, have 'fresh ideas', and are waiting for developments.

It's claimed the Naples club are pursuing players who can operate in more than one position and this is where Fulham's Tosin Adarabioyo fits in, as the 23-year-old operates as a centre-back, but can also be used on the right side of the defence.

Corriere are of the belief the versatile player 'can represent a pillar of defence', if he swaps the Championship side for Napoli.

Giuntoli and the club's scouts will have 'complex work, 'and inevitably the needs will end up sharpening the wits'.

Adarabioyo has a 'considerable' price tag of about €15m and next June, his valuation could rise, if he were to continue to shine from now until the end of the season.

Napoli are in the picture for the Fulham defender, but whether or not they can convince both the English club and Adarabioyo for a transfer remains to be seen.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/club-want-fulham-player-part-summer-rebuild-plans-e15m-asking-price-expected/

WhiteJC

What transfer business can we expect from Fulham between now and the end of the month?

Fulham currently sit in 2nd place of the Championship table as we approach the midway point of January.

The transfer window has been open for nearly two weeks now and already we've seen some impressive signings in the Championship.

League leaders Bournemouth have brought in both Ethan Laird and James Hill whilst West Brom have signed Daryl Dike as they look to resurrect their title challenge.

But Fulham are yet to make any signings. The club's sole transfer dealing this month is the loan departure of Cyrus Christie to Swansea City which went through today.

So what can we expect from Fulham in the transfer market this month?
Unfortunately for Fulham fans, there's been more reports of players leaving than coming in.

Fabio Carvalho's future is a pressing one – he remains out of contract at the end of the season and interest in him is starting to ramp up once again.

A host of teams have been linked with the midfielder including Real Madrid, Barcelona, Liverpool and Chelsea, and Fulham boss Marco Silva admitting that Carvalho could leave the club in this month's transfer window.

Elsewhere, Fulham's west London neighbours QPR have been linked with centre-back duo Alfie Mawson and Michael Hector, but it seems like Silva is unwilling to let either player leave the club.

The sole player linked with Fulham in recent weeks is Angelo Fulgini. The Angers midfielder had been linked with an £18million move to Craven Cottage ahead of this month, but reports have since revealed that French giants Marseille are now looking into a deal to sign Fulgini.

Fulham remain in title contention in the Championship, looking strong after their recent 7-0 demolition of Reading last time out.

The club has plenty of depth in their squad but one or two injuries could really make life difficult for Silva, and so not signing anyone this month could prove detrimental to his side's season.

Up next for Fulham is a home game v Bristol City this weekend.

https://the72.co.uk/259738/what-transfer-business-can-we-expect-from-fulham-between-now-and-the-end-of-the-month/

WhiteJC

Carvalho: 'We're here to win games and get promoted'

Fabio Carvalho feels Tuesday's thumping win at Reading was the perfect way to reassert Fulham's Championship promotion credentials.

The young playmaker was delighted with the manner of the Whites' victory in Berkshire as well the fact that Fulham found the net more regularly. He told FFCTV that the squad had been determined to put things right following a disappointing December:

"Like we discussed during training we haven't scored a lot of goals previously. We beat Bristol City 1-0, but in the weeks before we had the break we haven't scored a lot of goals. A win like that yesterday and the way we played was good. It was good for the confidence – not just for myself but the whole team. It was good to get a few goals and to get the win in the league as well.

We are at our best when we have self confidence and self belief like Marco said today. It is good to believe in ourselves and play our game. When we do play our game, when we are at our best there's not many teams that can lay a glove on us. Hopefully, this is the start of something new, the start of something that we've been missing the last few weeks and we'll crack on from there."

Carvalho hopes that Fulham can return to the sort of scintillating form that saw them start the season in sensational fashion under Marco Silva and underlined the squad's thirst for victories.

"There's nothing wrong with drawing games, but that's not what we are here for. We're here to win games and to get promoted, which is what we ultimately want to do. Being in the Premier League is where we want to be and where we deserve to be."

We're just going to take every game as it comes and hopefully we can get back to the form with which we started this season. We focus on our game first and whatever gets thrown at us, we just deal with it. We have to be ready for what we expect and what we are not expecting. We'll be up for it. Whatever happens, I'm pretty sure we'll be ready."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/01/carvalho-were-here-to-win-games-and-get-promoted/

WhiteJC

🎥 Midfield battle key - Pearson

Nigel Pearson believes the midfield battle will be key as City get back to SkyBet Championship action when they face Fulham at Craven Cottage on Saturday (3pm).

After a narrow 1-0 defeat at Ashton Gate in the Emirates FA Cup last weekend, City travel to Craven Cottage as they return to league action.

Pearson's side put on a committed and spirited display against the Lilywhites and will be hoping to match that this weekend and make it six wins on the bounce at Fulham's home ground.

A sold-out away end awaits the Robins on Saturday as 1,687 City fans travel to West London to see their side take on the second-placed side.

And the City manager believes the midfield battle will be key in this fixture as the Reds look to put on a similar display to their last performance and hold their own against a strong Marco Silva side that put seven past Reading at the Select Car Leasing Stadium on Tuesday.

Speaking to Robins TV, Pearson said: "We have to get the balance right in the middle, we need some creativity and some know-how but we also need a destructive element as well.

"I think it's fair to say we've not been a side that parks the bus in front of the goal but I would like us to develop that so we can get positive results in different ways.

"We have got to find our own way of getting performances, of late we have been pretty brave with the ball in and out of possession.

"We have some selection dilemmas going into the game but it's a good problem to have. We'll make decisions on players who have knocks or slight problems and for those players who haven't played much lately it's really important that they take the opportunity to stake their claim."

Talking about this weekends opponents, Pearson said: "Looking at their game in midweek they have ramped up their performance. It's going to be a really tough game and I would expect them to play a similar system.

"We know with their full side out how tough of an opponent they will be but it's important we go into the game feeling confident and positive as I think they'll be expecting a tough game. We'll have to be at our best to get something out of it."

Speaking about the travelling City fans, Nigel said: "It's important that we have that support because when you get a good following the atmosphere at Craven Cottage is great so I'm looking forward to it."

The City manager also discussed the progress that Robbie Cundy is making this season after the 24-year-old is starting to feature for the Under-23s after being sidelined through injury.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/midfield-battle-key-pearson/

WhiteJC

Bristol City manager Pearson provides positive injury update on Joe Williams ahead of Fulham

Midfielder is closing in on a return to action having not featured since he was forced off with a hamstring issue in November

Nigel Pearson believes midfielder Joe Williams could return to the matchday squad within two weeks after making excellent progress on his road to recovery, but remains mindful of rushing the 25-year-old back too soon.

The 25-year-old's time at Bristol City has been cruelly hampered by a string of injuries, having been limited to just eight league appearances following his move from Wigan in August 2020.

Williams hasn't featured since the 1-0 victory over Stoke in November where he was forced off on the hour with a hamstring injury but stepped up his recovery around Christmas by playing a part in first-team training.

Pearson remains cautiously optimistic of Williams' chances of soon featuring among the squad but conceded they must manage his situation in order for him to avoid an immediate return to the treatment table.

When quizzed on his progress, the manager said ahead of Saturday's trip to Fulham: "Really well, training ever so well. He's not in contention for this weekend, no.

"The plan remains the same with him, that is in the next two weeks or so now, he may find himself in a position where he gets himself in a squad but we have to make sure our approach to get him match fit and robust enough to deal with the Championship.

"It's not about looking good in training, it's not about having trained now for five weeks on the spin where he's been involved in training sessions in some way, it's about him being able to come back into the side and stay in the side.

"He's had too many situations where that's nearly been the case and we don't want another one. It's not about being over careful, it's about trying to minimalise the risk and with somebody who's as unpredictable as Joe is, and he is, it's important that we don't expose him to game situations too early."

Pearson will welcome both central midfielders Tyreeq Bakinson and Matty James back into the squad for the trip to promotion-chasers Fulham after they missed the FA Cup defeat last weekend.

Bakinson had been forced to self-isolate with Covid while James was rested, with the latter almost certainly set to start at Craven Cottage.

"Yes, he'll (Bakinson) be in the squad. He's fine, he's trained all week, he'll be okay." Pearson added. "He trained last Saturday morning but he wasn't available, he's okay.

"He isolated for however many days it was, five or six days, we followed the protocol and now he's available."

Pearson was unable to provide an update on the injury of centre-back Nathan Baker following his concussion in the 2-0 defeat to Sheffield United in November, the second such injury he has suffered this season.

When asked on his current situation, Pearson responded: "No not really, no. I'm not expecting him back anytime soon."

City head into Saturday's fixture with no fresh injury concerns - a worry after 120 gruelling minutes last weekend. And the manager has been pleased with the way his side have trained this week in the build-up to the fixture.

"(They're looking) not too bad to be honest with you, players have trained well this week so hopefully we're in reasonable shape for the weekend."

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-pearson-joe-williams-6488297

WhiteJC

Manchester City Cup clash set for 5 February

Fulham's FA Cup fourth round clash at Manchester City will take place on Saturday 5 February, with kick off at 3pm, the club have confirmed this evening.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/01/manchester-city-cup-clash-set-for-5-february/