News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fan celebrations that could hurt others or include vandalism?

Started by love4ffc, January 14, 2022, 03:23:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you feel about certain types of fan celebrations that include vandalism?

Oppose it and think it's wrong.
154 (93.9%)
It's no big deal.
6 (3.7%)
Don't care, whatever.
4 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Voting closed: January 17, 2022, 03:23:07 AM

love4ffc

I may be opening a can of worms, but I am curious as to how the board feels about vandalism and hooliganism.  Especially when it stems from Football.     

I am going to leave this poll open only to FoF members for a day then open it up to everyone.  I am more interested in how this board thinks of this more so then nonmembers.   

A mate of mine who goes to away matches on a regular basis has been witness to a couple of trends among the younger generation.  He and another FFC fan took to tweeter after the Reading match to express their displeasure and disappointment in this current trend of behavior which I will list below.   

First, there is a current trend of younger fans celebrating goals by throwing themselves around in celebration.  This would not be a big deal if it were not for the incent bystander who gets caught up in the melee I.e., elderly fans as well as little children.  The fns end up in a pile of human bodies that resemble the likes of A mosh pit.   

Second, fans who celebrate by breaking their seats in the stadiums.  This is usually at an away match.  My mate and his friends witnessed an FFC fan who pulled the sit down then jumped up and down on the seat until it was broken.   

Third, fans who celebrate their win in the streets upon leaving the match by vandalizing property, overturning trash bins and throwing trash everywhere.  Again, usually at away matches on the way back to the train station.   

My mate and others have been called out on tweeter for saying these things are unacceptable.  He in turn has been called things like "Grass" and "coffin dodger" even though he only in his early 40's.  There seems to be a large portion of FFC fans online who except these behaviors as normal in the tweeter world and even point out that it happens all the time at the Cottage and that it's no big deal as these are the actions of young fans who are celebrating and having fun.   

I just can't accept the reason that "it's ok because it happens at the Cottage or that it's just a plastic seat, get over it.  Nor do I accept the explanation that their just young fans celebrating.  That everyone does these things when they are young so let it go.   

So, the question again is do you think this is ok, no big deal or that you just don't care.  I really would like to hear everyone's thoughts on this.   
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

love4ffc

I should add some of the twitter reactions and responses that my mate has received.   

- You dirty grass.  Rat!

- Not condoning this but it is done at Craven Cottage quite regularly.  (As if it's ok because it happens at the Cottage so it's ok to do it at away matches)

- And the Fulham supporters trust are a right bunch of wet weekends the Mary Whitehouses of the football world ! The last meeting they had they discussed halal catering options at the cottage ? Or hoe the bogs flush in the Stevenage road stand !!

- We don't half attract some wet weekends does it really matter if a seat got broken probably by accident hardly worth mentioning . Derby we're throwing ours on the pitch after their play off semi defeat

- Whilst I CBA to do this myself, give it a rest. It's not the end of the world and perhaps a few seats being damaged are collateral damage of a good away win. Our fans are way better behaved than the 90% of the football league

- It's a seat mate it doesn't have feelings The other point is sadly we are not alone, whilst at Millwall for an under 23 game on Monday I learned about some damage to seating by Crystal Palace fans last weekend. Allowing fans to stand in seated areas and rail standing areas will not help. Controversial but sadly true.

- As a Fulham fan, ur the support we don't want in our club, ur the person who sets the tone of our fans and now we're tinpot, change to Bournemouth please we don't accept grasses like u

- Seems we do have more than our fair share of idiots atm. Not all youngsters either. They seem to care little for the safety or comfort of their fellow supporters. Thankfully was able to enjoy the win at Reading and clearly see the game albeit I did move to a different seat.

Snibbo

I saw the reactions to the subject on the TIFF. Nothing on that board surprises me any more

As to "limbs" - try sitting in front of a half drunk 6 foot bloke who throws himself forward when  a goal is scored.

love4ffc

TIFF was not kind to my mate as they went on there and mocked him. 

RaySmith

I think it's wrong, and an example of  the aggression and intolerance of the times.

Must admit I haven't witnessed it, but haven't been to an away, or any, game since Huddersfield at the start of the season, and am usually sitting near the front anyway.

Hud/field was a great win for us, but the fans around me were  very well behaved - I was sitting next to a woman who didn't show any response at all to the Fulham goals, which  is completely fine, and her prerogative, of course.

flyingfish

There are some right little twats who follow Fulham away. They seem to revel in behaviour I thought we'd left behind. Fulham supporters or not if my young daughter got hurt but one of these bellends jumping in her is throttle them

Craven Mad

Right or wrong aside (but for completeness I think it's wrong), there's a cost for policing/fixing these things which ultimately gets passed into fans. I don't like paying higher prices for other people's stupidity.

I also started attending games at a young age, and I think it's important for matches to feel safe and inviting for all.

HV71

Appalling . Individuals should always consider how their own behaviour impacts on others. End of.

MartyFFC

I'm all for enthusiastic celebrating, but criminal damage can't be justified within any context

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: RaySmith on January 14, 2022, 06:56:53 AM
I think it's wrong, and an example of  the aggression and intolerance of the times.

Must admit I haven't witnessed it, but haven't been to an away, or any, game since Huddersfield at the start of the season, and am usually sitting near the front anyway.

Hud/field was a great win for us, but the fans around me were  very well behaved - I was sitting next to a woman who didn't show any response at all to the Fulham goals, which  is completely fine, and her prerogative, of course.

Did you take her pulse  ?
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Chesh

The thing is, some people say 'high jinks', I'd say it all looks a bit embarrassing and pathetic. Wonder if they would even think about doing this at somewhere like QPR, rather than a deserted Reading with no locals about. Hope not because they might have to suddenly grow up (or more likely scarper)
Made in Hammersmith (1968)

Andy S

Ban people for life if they disrespect other clubs facilities or their own supporters. More cameras to make sure they are caught.

Cookie6262

I don't the throwing yourself around like crazy in celebration, it's the kind of thing I probably did years ago, but I don't have time for anyone intentionally damaging property and don't want them at my football club.

MikeTheCubed

I don't believe anyone is condoning or normalising this behaviour, of course it should be condemned. It's the grassing of other Fulham supporters which feels wrong, (though obviously not to the same extent as to the behaviour itself); it's a slippery slope.

The online reaction to this behaviour may also do little to discourage it but rather have the opposite effect in terms of "street cred" etc.

jeremyfulham

I was injured at Peterborough when we scored with people behind me pushing me over a row of seats,this wasn't the normal celebration of a goal.I would ask those doing it to please consider if they would like their parents/grandparents subjected to that.

Jimsbeerbelly

We have, at this moment in time, a very special breed of yoof coming through, which is highlighted more now that we have the use of social media etc.

The group in question, which you've all probably seen on Twitter, go to away games, and take pictures of their train table loaded up with ridiculous amounts of booze.

Look, there's nothing wrong in this, I used to do it myself, even got nicked a couple of times when playing up at away games, but, I was always respectable to those around me.

This mob, don't seem to have any respect. Yeah, there's celebrating, jumping up and down, but physically throwing yourselves over rows of seats just isn't on.

They don't know if the elderly, or kids with parents have booked tickets near them, what then ?

Their attitude seems to b F-you, if you don't like it, sit down the front, which again, is disrespectful to those around them, who can book tickets wherever they like. 

Another thing, is that one of these yoof was crying on social media recently about being abused at Coventry, yet is being film chucking bin bags around up Reading high street.

Oh the irony !!!

Jamie88

A slightly strange poll, can't imagine any on this board that is going to be for vandalism and violence

H4usuallysitting

I'm of an age where it was the bad old day's.....but, at the time it was normal.... I'm also of an age where we'd go to fulham, qpr, chelsea, wimbledon, palace, brighton and just about every club in between - if we could afford it, and someone was at home we'd go..... Is this a new phase of football - conditioned by social media?

Lighthouse

Not only is it the sort of thing the behaviour I would hope people would grow out of once they reach six years of age. But this ridiculous idea that'grassing' on somebody is wrong if they vandalise, do any harm to another, or take something. Again is just so childish. The petty telling on others can only look bad for very minor issues.

But I don't care if you are a Fulham fan, like the same bands as me or share my love of pogo sticks and bridal wear with thigh boots. If you commit a crime that harms others or is dangerous to others you are a numpty and deserve to be punished.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

"it's only a seat" is such a ridiculous arguement. Guarantee that these will be the first to complain when a cub can't afford to repair the seats and they can't get a ticket as a result.
They seem to forget, that the vast majority of clubs aren't owned by billionaires and have a shoestring budget. 1 seat getting broken at every home game equates to 23 seats broken a season. Even if they're only £100 each, that is still two and a half grand a year. That could have a big effect on the finaces of a club.

Maybe i'm becoming old and mature, but it just seems pointless.