watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Winning classy is nice, but winning ugly is what matters

Started by Jeroen, January 19, 2022, 01:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeroen

I know, I know we just won 3 games in empathic fashion, but for all our goals we are 'only' 5 point ahead of our nearest rivals. (I'm not complaining haha)

As history have shown it's winning ugly that ultimately matters. Look at Blackburn in their last game, less shot on target, way less possession, but a 1-0 win and as many point as our 6-2 on the same day.

Within our rough patch on games with our draws and 1-0 loss, could we have had some 'ugly' wins where we ride out a 1-0?

I love our 6-2, 7-0 victories, but this won't continue for the remainder of 20 games, we will have to win ugly a couple of times. Both Blackburn & Bournemouth (we all called it luck in the beginning of the season)  have shown they can, can we?

JimmyConway

Would not winning at Peterboro come under the ugly win banner? add to that a fortunate point at Luton? must come under ugly performances. I understand this won't continue but I look at teams like Blackburn - Huddersfield might be physiologically beaten when they come to the cottage. The other argument might be? the time we go to the likes of Wba - Qpr - Middboro-Bournemouth- Sheff.u are all mid march onwards so it is slightly favouring us as it stands. Do the hard yards between now and end of February and we should be rewarded come the middle of March.

Deeping_white

Big wins mean you have a healthier goal difference and at the end of the season if it comes down to that with either Blackburn or Bournemouth, there's only going to be one winner.

Tabby

If we had the mentality of 19/20 we'd have a lot more 'ugly' wins. But given that Silva seems to prefer to put opponents to the sword and win decisively that will become more rare.

Jim©

I think winning ugly is just one of those statements that managers and fans use for "lucky win".
You could quite easily argue that in our "slump"  (where a certain number of posters were frothing at chances missed, squad mentality, no plan B, Silva's lost it etc) that we should have won some of those games at best v easily (Bournemouth, Derby) and others a bit more ugly (Preston, Luton).
One defeat in 16 games is an incredible return if you factor in the squad illness and the extended period of inactivity.

I'm now done with winning ugly, winning by a 4+ margin is much better for the nerves. Winning ugly will I'm sure be required at some point, but no need at this moment at all!

WindyCity

Winning ugly, winning lucky, it's all good.....just deliver three points at the end of the day, that's all that matters......

Southcoastffc

"Winning classy is nice, but winning ugly is what matters"   No, winning per se is what matters, whether classy or ugly.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Mr K.Dilkington

Quote from: Southcoastffc on January 19, 2022, 04:28:42 PM
"Winning classy is nice, but winning ugly is what matters"   No, winning per se is what matters, whether classy or ugly.
Truth! If we won all games 1-0 with Delap long throws into a battering ram Mitro header I wouldn't give a fig lol
Foolish ham

filham

You can train and plan to win in the manner we are doing right now and the risk element is eliminated.
Can't think how you plan to win ugly without taking an enormous risk.
Lets jus continue as we are and if a bad performance comes along just hope we have luck o go with it.

Ruislip White

We won 'ugly' week in and out the last time we were promoted, and after a while it just wasn't entertaining to watch.  If the win is all that matters then not an issue.  If entertainment is a reason for watching live sport, then style is important.
I would personally rather finish second watching an exciting Silva team than finish first watching Parker/Bruce/Pulis style football week in week out.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Ruislip White on January 19, 2022, 09:08:40 PM
We won 'ugly' week in and out the last time we were promoted, and after a while it just wasn't entertaining to watch.  If the win is all that matters then not an issue.  If entertainment is a reason for watching live sport, then style is important.
I would personally rather finish second watching an exciting Silva team than finish first watching Parker/Bruce/Pulis style football week in week out.
Totally agree. 
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Mr K.Dilkington

Foolish ham

TC's Sporran

Quote from: Southcoastffc on January 19, 2022, 09:12:27 PM
Totally agree. 

same here.
why suffer a season of ugly wins just to watch a season of struggle in the prem?

might as well enjoy the here and now and be entertained.

players and coaches have this win at all costs mentality. time wasting park the bus after going 1-0 up.

im not a player or coach. i want to be entertained. i dont want three points. i want stylish football and goals.

i dont really care about getting to the prem at all costs and by any method.
i think we as fans have lost sight of what its all about and think we are pundits on match of the day.
sod all that garbage. enjoy life while we have it.

WindyCity

Quote from: TC's Sporran on January 20, 2022, 08:34:52 AM
Totally agree. 
same here.  why suffer a season of ugly wins just to watch a season of struggle in the prem?  might as well enjoy the here and now and be entertained.  players and coaches have this win at all costs mentality. time wasting park the bus after going 1-0 up.  im not a player or coach. i want to be entertained. i dont want three points. i want stylish football and goals.  i dont really care about getting to the prem at all costs and by any method.  i think we as fans have lost sight of what its all about and think we are pundits on match of the day.  sod all that garbage. enjoy life while we have it.

In my football world, I want three points each and every game, no matter how they roll in.  I've seen this discussion before in this forum, and absolutely everyone has their own opinion on how they enjoy this sport, which is fine and the way it should be.  But I just don't get this attraction to 'stylish' football.  Any team can struggle in the prem regardless how they got there, stylish or not.  I still maintain that even if you're watching a game you deem unstylish, if you walk away with the three points, there has to be at least some 'good' football being played, to score that one goal, or some good defensive play to prevent opponent scoring, or a great keeper save to protect the three points.  The entire game, during a victory, can't be all 'lousy' football, can it?  I do think getting to the prem 'at all costs' is a worthy endeavor.  Any player/team/coach/fan I believe wants to always win, always be in top flight, always strive to be the best.  I can enjoy most any game that finds three points regardless how well the team has played that day.  But, that's just me.   

HobGoblin

Best description that has been made. Totally agree. Previous manager's football style was turgid boring to watch. the football under Silva is refreshing to see. Long may it continue.

TC's Sporran

Quote from: WindyCity on January 20, 2022, 05:08:50 PM
Totally agree. 
same here.  why suffer a season of ugly wins just to watch a season of struggle in the prem?  might as well enjoy the here and now and be entertained.  players and coaches have this win at all costs mentality. time wasting park the bus after going 1-0 up.  im not a player or coach. i want to be entertained. i dont want three points. i want stylish football and goals.  i dont really care about getting to the prem at all costs and by any method.  i think we as fans have lost sight of what its all about and think we are pundits on match of the day.  sod all that garbage. enjoy life while we have it.

In my football world, I want three points each and every game, no matter how they roll in.  I've seen this discussion before in this forum, and absolutely everyone has their own opinion on how they enjoy this sport, which is fine and the way it should be.  But I just don't get this attraction to 'stylish' football.  Any team can struggle in the prem regardless how they got there, stylish or not.  I still maintain that even if you're watching a game you deem unstylish, if you walk away with the three points, there has to be at least some 'good' football being played, to score that one goal, or some good defensive play to prevent opponent scoring, or a great keeper save to protect the three points.  The entire game, during a victory, can't be all 'lousy' football, can it?  I do think getting to the prem 'at all costs' is a worthy endeavor.  Any player/team/coach/fan I believe wants to always win, always be in top flight, always strive to be the best.  I can enjoy most any game that finds three points regardless how well the team has played that day.  But, that's just me.   

well thats fine if thats all you want.
i like to be entertained. like watching tv or a film. if its not stylish or entertaining i get bored.

same with watching footy as a neutral. if its boring i switch off.
that's all i want. i think fans do get brainwashed into thinking they are inside the game where winning at all costs matters.
were not professionals. we are fans.

Hugh Gentry

If we won the first 45 games of the season playing the most sublime and silky football ever seen, would you be clammering for an ugly win?

TC's Sporran

imagine this scenario

you watch your team all season and every game hope and prey for 3 points at all costs, gamesmanship diving timewasting etc = winning ugly.

and then you find yourself having to watch other teams to be entertained.

Deeping_white

Quote from: WindyCity on January 20, 2022, 05:08:50 PM
Totally agree. 

We got promoted under Parker playing boring football and at the end of the season all I felt was relief rather than joy, mainly because the season felt like we avoided failure rather than actually succeeding. There were more than half a dozen wins where we relied on someone scoring a screamer from long range and other than that our team was completely anonymous and watching us felt like a chore. We almost sold our souls for promotion that year and unsurprisingly we had no ideas the next season when we tried to replicate the same tactics. We need to show at this level that we can dismantle teams because next year it's a whole lot harder and we'll score less goals, so if you can only scrape 1-0 wins at this level then you're really stuffed for playing in a harder league, whereas if you win by3+ goals at this level then it shows you know how to score albeit you expect to score at a lower rate when you go up

TC's Sporran