watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Winning classy is nice, but winning ugly is what matters

Started by Jeroen, January 19, 2022, 01:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cookieg

For me a big win every once in a while is really enjoyable but week after week it becomes a bit boring. I much prefer watching a game where we have stood toe to toe with the opposition and it has been a hard fought game with a 1-0 win at their end of it. However, 3 points is 3 points at the end of the day and this division needs to be seen as a work in progress because next year in the PL, should we get there, will be a lot tougher.

WindyCity

Quote from: TC's Sporran on January 20, 2022, 08:40:20 PM
Quote from: WindyCity on January 20, 2022, 05:08:50 PM
Quote from: TC's Sporran on January 20, 2022, 08:34:52 AM
Quote from: Southcoastffc on January 19, 2022, 09:12:27 PM
Quote from: Ruislip White on January 19, 2022, 09:08:40 PM
We won 'ugly' week in and out the last time we were promoted, and after a while it just wasn't entertaining to watch.  If the win is all that matters then not an issue.  If entertainment is a reason for watching live sport, then style is important.
I would personally rather finish second watching an exciting Silva team than finish first watching Parker/Bruce/Pulis style football week in week out.
Totally agree. 
same here.  why suffer a season of ugly wins just to watch a season of struggle in the prem?  might as well enjoy the here and now and be entertained.  players and coaches have this win at all costs mentality. time wasting park the bus after going 1-0 up.  im not a player or coach. i want to be entertained. i dont want three points. i want stylish football and goals.  i dont really care about getting to the prem at all costs and by any method.  i think we as fans have lost sight of what its all about and think we are pundits on match of the day.  sod all that garbage. enjoy life while we have it.
In my football world, I want three points each and every game, no matter how they roll in.  I've seen this discussion before in this forum, and absolutely everyone has their own opinion on how they enjoy this sport, which is fine and the way it should be.  But I just don't get this attraction to 'stylish' football.  Any team can struggle in the prem regardless how they got there, stylish or not.  I still maintain that even if you're watching a game you deem unstylish, if you walk away with the three points, there has to be at least some 'good' football being played, to score that one goal, or some good defensive play to prevent opponent scoring, or a great keeper save to protect the three points.  The entire game, during a victory, can't be all 'lousy' football, can it?  I do think getting to the prem 'at all costs' is a worthy endeavor.  Any player/team/coach/fan I believe wants to always win, always be in top flight, always strive to be the best.  I can enjoy most any game that finds three points regardless how well the team has played that day.  But, that's just me.   
well thats fine if thats all you want. i like to be entertained. like watching tv or a film. if its not stylish or entertaining i get bored.
same with watching footy as a neutral. if its boring i switch off. that's all i want. i think fans do get brainwashed into thinking they are inside the game where winning at all costs matters.  were not professionals. we are fans.

Well, I think we understand each other just fine good sir.  And yes, I am a "fan".  "If that's 'all' I want"?  All I want is for FFC to gain promotion to the prem.  All I want is for FFC to stay in the prem for a reasonable period of time.  I imagine I would find that very entertaining indeed.  (Maybe a nice little mid-table run in the prem not unlike what our neighbors at Selhurst Park have had since their last promotion.)

rebel

Quote from: Jeroen on January 19, 2022, 01:19:24 PM
I know, I know we just won 3 games in empathic fashion, but for all our goals we are 'only' 5 point ahead of our nearest rivals. (I'm not complaining haha)

As history have shown it's winning ugly that ultimately matters. Look at Blackburn in their last game, less shot on target, way less possession, but a 1-0 win and as many point as our 6-2 on the same day.

Within our rough patch on games with our draws and 1-0 loss, could we have had some 'ugly' wins where we ride out a 1-0?

I love our 6-2, 7-0 victories, but this won't continue for the remainder of 20 games, we will have to win ugly a couple of times. Both Blackburn & Bournemouth (we all called it luck in the beginning of the season)  have shown they can, can we?

I'm not sure that is correct, I remember we played Sunderland away, first match of the season, we won 1-0, I moaned about the performance, we were 'dire'.
I was told not to moan because we had won, but the reality is we were relegated that season after 13 seasons in the Premiership. Performance is everything, you get into good habits. 

TC's Sporran

Quote from: WindyCity on January 21, 2022, 04:27:16 PM
Quote from: TC's Sporran on January 20, 2022, 08:40:20 PM
Quote from: WindyCity on January 20, 2022, 05:08:50 PM
Quote from: TC's Sporran on January 20, 2022, 08:34:52 AM
Quote from: Southcoastffc on January 19, 2022, 09:12:27 PM
Quote from: Ruislip White on January 19, 2022, 09:08:40 PM
We won 'ugly' week in and out the last time we were promoted, and after a while it just wasn't entertaining to watch.  If the win is all that matters then not an issue.  If entertainment is a reason for watching live sport, then style is important.
I would personally rather finish second watching an exciting Silva team than finish first watching Parker/Bruce/Pulis style football week in week out.
Totally agree. 
same here.  why suffer a season of ugly wins just to watch a season of struggle in the prem?  might as well enjoy the here and now and be entertained.  players and coaches have this win at all costs mentality. time wasting park the bus after going 1-0 up.  im not a player or coach. i want to be entertained. i dont want three points. i want stylish football and goals.  i dont really care about getting to the prem at all costs and by any method.  i think we as fans have lost sight of what its all about and think we are pundits on match of the day.  sod all that garbage. enjoy life while we have it.
In my football world, I want three points each and every game, no matter how they roll in.  I've seen this discussion before in this forum, and absolutely everyone has their own opinion on how they enjoy this sport, which is fine and the way it should be.  But I just don't get this attraction to 'stylish' football.  Any team can struggle in the prem regardless how they got there, stylish or not.  I still maintain that even if you're watching a game you deem unstylish, if you walk away with the three points, there has to be at least some 'good' football being played, to score that one goal, or some good defensive play to prevent opponent scoring, or a great keeper save to protect the three points.  The entire game, during a victory, can't be all 'lousy' football, can it?  I do think getting to the prem 'at all costs' is a worthy endeavor.  Any player/team/coach/fan I believe wants to always win, always be in top flight, always strive to be the best.  I can enjoy most any game that finds three points regardless how well the team has played that day.  But, that's just me.   
well thats fine if thats all you want. i like to be entertained. like watching tv or a film. if its not stylish or entertaining i get bored.
same with watching footy as a neutral. if its boring i switch off. that's all i want. i think fans do get brainwashed into thinking they are inside the game where winning at all costs matters.  were not professionals. we are fans.

Well, I think we understand each other just fine good sir.  And yes, I am a "fan".  "If that's 'all' I want"?  All I want is for FFC to gain promotion to the prem.  All I want is for FFC to stay in the prem for a reasonable period of time.  I imagine I would find that very entertaining indeed.  (Maybe a nice little mid-table run in the prem not unlike what our neighbors at Selhurst Park have had since their last promotion.)

i hate it when things dont come across as you meant to write them.  i honestly meant if thats what you desire then so be it. but " if all you want"  sounds like i was being sarcastic or pompous or arsey. i wasnt. everyone has different views and i respect that.

Woolly Mammoth

Winning ugly brings back memories in the early 60s when I once won an ugly woman at a Coconut Shy.
My mate eventually married her and they are still together.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

rebel

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 21, 2022, 08:32:44 PM
Winning ugly brings back memories in the early 60s when I once won an ugly woman at a Coconut Shy.

Was she a Tyrannosaurus Rex? I bet you miss her greatly.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: rebel on January 21, 2022, 08:38:05 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 21, 2022, 08:32:44 PM

Was she a Tyrannosaurus Rex? I bet you miss her greatly.

If my memory serves me correctly she was a Dopeydokus. Yes i even missed her at the time when i threw a coconut at her.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

TC's Sporran

sticking with this theme, my ugly wife  doesnt have a lovely pair of coconuts but is shy...

TC's Sporran

Jeroen

Quote from: Tabby on January 22, 2022, 05:02:22 PM
Ugly enough for you?

Haha yep! In all seriousness this is exactly what I meant - we didn't play out free flowing, free scoring football, but won in tough conditions with 2 key men out.
We could have easily lost or draw, but fought our way to a win - it's those games that win you the league (as much as I prefer a 4-1 or 7-0 every so often.

As said we won ugly where our competitors didn't - happy days!
(Although our defence does look a bit shaky)

Beamer

I think perhaps winning ugly refers more to being gritty when things are not working out. There was a brief moment today just after their second equaliser that we looked to be getting a bit rattled and might have lost it a La Coventry but they regained their composure, dug in through a sticky patch and worked for the result. Credit all round. I love it when we are silky smooth and running teams ragged but it won't happen every week and wins like today's are just as important and enjoyable in their own way.

TC's Sporran

i wouldnt really call scoring 3 goals ugly. ugly for me is a 1-0 against the run of play smash and grab 2 attempts at goal and one goes in type of thing.
i thought todays game was very entertaining and stoke looked a decent side who might, with the recent signings, go up automatically.