watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Looking forward to Seri coming back.

Started by ex-Pat, January 20, 2022, 05:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

copthornemike

It is only an opinion and the OP is entitled to his as much as anyone else.
The team as a whole is definitely better, and a joy to watch, with Cairney being on song.
However neither Cairney or Seri are particularly assertive defensively and maybe opposition managers will have picked up that in both of our last two matches Cairney (not the only one though) was brushed aside leading to a goal in both. When the team scores 6 not a big issue, but in a tight match different story.
One definite area for all our midfielders to improve on (including Seri) is that they are poor tacklers when we are out of possession.
Still, a good time to be a Fulham supporter and most other clubs' supporters would love to have the luxury of a Cairney or Seri debate!

I Ronic

While we're on the subject of Cairney's woeful defending. I'm amazed Rodak still gets picked. Zero goals scored, not even an assist!

bencher

Quote from: copthornemike on January 21, 2022, 10:27:29 AM
The team as a whole is definitely better, and a joy to watch, with Cairney being on song.
However neither Cairney or Seri are particularly assertive defensively and maybe opposition managers will have picked up that in both of our last two matches Cairney (not the only one though) was brushed aside leading to a goal in both. When the team scores 6 not a big issue, but in a tight match different story.
One definite area for all our midfielders to improve on (including Seri) is that they are poor tacklers when we are out of possession.
Still, a good time to be a Fulham supporter and most other clubs' supporters would love to have the luxury of a Cairney or Seri debate!

At Championship level, there are no good tacklers that are also great ball playing midfielders and chip in with goals and assists (and I don't mean SJ-type tackling). Anyone of that level is playing in the PL.

TC's Sporran

i think we all know cairney is a poor mans hoddle/le tissier where your not gonna get much out of him defensively and he's only in the team for his passing ability and the odd shot.

it appears that you can have this luxury of a playmaker in the championship but in the prem?

gonna need a hell of a water carrier

copthornemike

Quote from: bencher on January 21, 2022, 11:01:23 AM
Quote from: copthornemike on January 21, 2022, 10:27:29 AM
At Championship level, there are no good tacklers that are also great ball playing midfielders and chip in with goals and assists (and I don't mean SJ-type tackling). Anyone of that level is playing in the PL.
You make a reasonable point, particularly if ' consistent' is added to the mix. I would add that in Jokanovitch's promotion team Kevin MacDonald & Stefan Johansson acted as the defensive screen alongside Tom when out of possession and were effective tacklers (and in Syed's case by using 'other means). We really could do with the equivalent midfielders being available when we come up against stronger competition would you agree?

Nick Bateman

One dreads the return of Seri, who will slow the game down, play "safe" football while falling asleep to players around him. He is a decent reserve but no better than any in the first 11 Silva picks.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

cookieg

Quote from: I Ronic on January 21, 2022, 10:38:29 AM
While we're on the subject of Cairney's woeful defending. I'm amazed Rodak still gets picked. Zero goals scored, not even an assist!

Rodak gets a free pass because he's "one of our own". If Gazza had been in goal and conceded the first against Bristol City the "keepers shouldn't be beaten at the nears post" brigade would have been out in force.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: cookieg on January 21, 2022, 02:13:33 PM

Rodak gets a free pass because he's "one of our own". If Gazza had been in goal and conceded the first against Bristol City the "keepers shouldn't be beaten at the nears post" brigade would have been out in force.

What's wrong with being one of our own, it's a Badge of Honour, never forget your roots.
Rodak is there on merit until otherwise.
So best to move on there is nothing to see here.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

cookieg

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 21, 2022, 02:26:13 PM

What's wrong with being one of our own, it's a Badge of Honour, never forget your roots.

There is nothing wrong with being one of our own but he isn't above criticism. He should have done much better for both Bristol City goals

My point exactly. You choose to forgive Rodak but would have slated Gazza with your usual "keeper's should be beaten at the near post" comment.

colinwhite

Quote from: Nick Bateman on January 21, 2022, 01:37:50 PM
One dreads the return of Seri, who will slow the game down, play "safe" football while falling asleep to players around him. He is a decent reserve but no better than any in the first 11 Silva picks.

Sorry nick but don't agree with that.Seri has been superb for us ,as has TC in the last game or too. To criticize either of these 2 players ,is just plain silly.They are very important for us.

Woolly Mammoth

I am happy to see him in our squad due to his ability and vision. However for me he is not an automatic nailed on starter. What does not help him is because he is a lightweight he gets targeted by opponents.
Therefore he is closed down very quickly and often disposed. In midfield you have to after receiving the ball be able to pass the ball accurately all in one movement, win the ball more often than not, and score goals.
His upper body strength is mediocre therefore preventing him punching his weight.
Nevertheless his class makes him a key player amongst many key players in the squad, but to step up to another level we have to be more physical both in size, height and ability.
So for me Seri is no automatic choice if we have a full squad, but he can still do a job when necessary as injuries loss of form etc etc will take its toll and Seri will when called upon contribute, due to so many League matches and a long FA Cup run. 

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: cookieg on January 21, 2022, 02:33:47 PM

There is nothing wrong with being one of our own but he isn't above criticism. He should have done much better for both Bristol City goals

My point exactly. You choose to forgive Rodak but would have slated Gazza with your usual "keeper's should be beaten at the near post" comment.

Yes of course but you conveniently forget that Gazza gets beaten not only at the near post but the far post also, and if there was a lamp post he would probably get beaten at that.
Having said that Gazza had a decent game in his last match, so there is hopes yet. However Rodak has the shirt and was patient until he was selected at Gazza s expense due to mediocre and performances that were cause for concern.
So it's Gazza s turn to be patient and wait, that is football, and currently one of our own is keeping goal who unlike Gazza has the ability to catch the ball at its highest point, and that is encouraging to see.

Never forget your Roots.

@jolslover

surely a wind up - how does he play 'safe' football - his passing breaks the lines more than anyone else we have and he has the ability to play a killer pass better than anyone else in our side
STH H3

Nick Bateman

If he does appear in our first 11, we will see the draws and defeats we had before he left to Africa and was a regular. Then some of you lot will wonder why and deny his lethargic influence as part of the problem. Please do not confuse my opinion with a wind-up, that perhaps is something only a juvenile will assert.

In short, why fix something when it isn't broken?!
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

filham

I have always thought that there really is not room in the team for both Cairney and Seri but it is now clear that without one of them we are short of a playmaker and lack class in the midfield.
Cairney is looking very good but it is difficult to imagine him holding out for 90 minutes in each of the remaining 20 matches.
We need a fit Seri to come back from Africa as soon as possible.

Twig

Quote from: filham on January 21, 2022, 05:51:42 PM
I have always thought that there really is not room in the team for both Cairney and Seri but it is now clear that without one of them we are short of a playmaker and lack class in the midfield.
Cairney is looking very good but it is difficult to imagine him holding out for 90 minutes in each of the remaining 20 matches.
We need a fit Seri to come back from Africa as soon as possible.

Absolutely agree. We are lucky to have not one but two terrific midfield playmakers. I happen to prefer TC but that doesn't mean I can't see Seri's talents too. We'll need both over the remainder of this season and we're fortunate to have them.

Deeping_white

Quote from: Nick Bateman on January 21, 2022, 05:25:32 PM
If he does appear in our first 11, we will see the draws and defeats we had before he left to Africa and was a regular. Then some of you lot will wonder why and deny his lethargic influence as part of the problem. Please do not confuse my opinion with a wind-up, that perhaps is something only a juvenile will assert.

The fact you were never banned for the post back in 2018 where you called him (and Anguissa) lazy because he was African won't be forgotten by some of us. If you think Seri is the reason we didn't win in December, how do you explain the 8 wins in a row when he was starting for us?

Twig

Quote from: Deeping_white on January 21, 2022, 06:58:47 PM
Quote from: Nick Bateman on January 21, 2022, 05:25:32 PM

The fact you were never banned for the post back in 2018 where you called him (and Anguissa) lazy because he was African won't be forgotten by some of us. If you think Seri is the reason we didn't win in December, how do you explain the 8 wins in a row when he was starting for us?

That was an especially low point.