more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Defence

Started by Wex, January 22, 2022, 04:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

e4b

Quote from: toshes mate on January 23, 2022, 08:25:37 AM
Has the game of football changed behind my back and bonus points awarded for pleasing fans who make specious comments on social media.  You get three points for a win and any win improves your goal difference.  You win by scoring more goals than your opponent in any game.   You get no points for having smart ass supporters.
0001.jpeg

FFC1987

Has the game of football changed behind my back and bonus points awarded for pleasing fans who make specious comments on social media.  You get three points for a win and any win improves your goal difference.  You win by scoring more goals than your opponent in any game.   You get no points for having smart ass supporters.

Blimey, what's this in response to? Extremely mild criticism of our defence? Seems a bit precious unless I've missed something.

We Are Premier League

Pleasing fans bring in more fans which bring in more money which bring in better players which bring in more points. So in a way 'yes', pleasing fans does give you more points (just not immediately)

Rupert

You don't?

Oh, I  just assumed our upturn in our fortunes coincided with my return to this message board. I hate to think I have just been wasting my time on here.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

toshes mate

Quote from: FFC1987 on January 23, 2022, 09:24:09 AM

Blimey, what's this in response to? Extremely mild criticism of our defence? Seems a bit precious unless I've missed something.
The key word I used was specious.  Football is a team sport and you defend from the front and attack from the back which is especially true of the modern game whether performed by a good, bad or indiferrent coaching regime.  The object of the game is to score more goals than your opponent.  Neither of those statements is specious.  And so who is being precious?

Deeping_white

Both the Bristol goals were poor defending but for different reasons and I'm fairly sure they'd have got an earful from Silva after the game because he called it out straight after that they were poor to concede. The Birmingham goals came when we went 4-0 up and were coasting and both were speculative efforts from outside the box that go into row Z on any other day - law of averages says we won't keep conceding long range screamers. Stoke's first goal seemed to be a defensive lapse by Ream which is a weird occurrence we've seen in a few games where it takes us 5 mins to wake up at the start of a half, and Stoke's second seemed to have us with nobody in the middle closing him down, and Rodak looking like he dived through treacle to try and save it.

I don't actually think we've been that bad defensively in all honesty over those three games; we've actually limited all three teams to very few clear cut chances but it's a combo of some speculative long range finishes and some situations where players could've/should've taken a tactical yellow to stop the goals happening. We've also conceded 6 from xG of about 2 so that shows you that all the goals were really low cut chances and that'll probably balance out as we've seen over the course of the season. Think Rodak needs to stand up and be counted more though because there's been a few goals I think he could've done more on in all honesty

filham

Happy if things continue just as they are until the end of the season and then if we could bring back Areola and Anderson we would be halfway to Premier league survival.
Pllease don't rock the boat now, things are going so well.

FFC1987

Quote from: toshes mate on January 23, 2022, 10:17:32 AM

The key word I used was specious.  Football is a team sport and you defend from the front and attack from the back which is especially true of the modern game whether performed by a good, bad or indiferrent coaching regime.  The object of the game is to score more goals than your opponent.  Neither of those statements is specious.  And so who is being precious?

Maybe its because I'm no longer on social media, but I'm not seeing here specious comments or again, Am I missing it?

toshes mate

Quote from: FFC1987 on January 23, 2022, 11:04:25 AM

Maybe its because I'm no longer on social media, but I'm not seeing here specious comments or again, Am I missing it?
For speciousness start with the OP and then by about reply 7 the rot has truly set in. 

Cumbrian White makes a truly wise observation at reply #17 but it is largely an isolated relief.   Filham is also very pragmatic.   But 'the critics' just will not be silenced.

There is just no pleasing some people.  Yesterday was a very important game to win, however people may believe it was won.  Four games won over ten days with a 22-6 goal difference at a time when the team has been under pressure to perform.  The whole FFC team (coaches and players) has delivered which is all we could possibly demand of it.   What is not to enjoy?   

Next game starts with a clean slate and a week to prepare.   

FFC1987

Quote from: toshes mate on January 23, 2022, 12:08:42 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on January 23, 2022, 11:04:25 AM

For speciousness start with the OP and then by about reply 7 the rot has truly set in. 

Cumbrian White makes a truly wise observation at reply #17 but it is largely an isolated relief.   Filham is also very pragmatic.   But 'the critics' just will not be silenced.

There is just no pleasing some people.  Yesterday was a very important game to win, however people may believe it was won.  Four games won over ten days with a 22-6 goal difference at a time when the team has been under pressure to perform.  The whole FFC team (coaches and players) has delivered which is all we could possibly demand of it.   What is not to enjoy?   

Next game starts with a clean slate and a week to prepare.

I'm not sure how suggesting we need to score 3 goals to win a game is specious though. In our last 3 games we've indeed had to do that in order to get full points? I also don't think the OP isn't not enjoying the wins but its a lot of pressure on the front lads to suggest a minimum of 3 goals a game is required for 3 points? They've proven they can shore it up though so no doubt they can improve upon it.

I also don't like people saying others points are specious because one doesn;t agree with it when objectively.....the data isn't on your side here.....

toshes mate

Quote from: FFC1987 on January 23, 2022, 12:13:18 PM
I'm not sure how suggesting we need to score 3 goals to win a game is specious though. In our last 3 games we've indeed had to do that in order to get full points? I also don't think the OP isn't not enjoying the wins but its a lot of pressure on the front lads to suggest a minimum of 3 goals a game is required for 3 points? They've proven they can shore it up though so no doubt they can improve upon it.

I also don't like people saying others points are specious because one doesn;t agree with it when objectively.....the data isn't on your side here.....
That's your specious comment of the day is it?  Every game is a separate entity and the only truth about the four games played is that we could have got the same number of points (twelve) by scoring only twelve goals rather than ten more than that.

FFC1987

Quote from: toshes mate on January 23, 2022, 12:22:43 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on January 23, 2022, 12:13:18 PM

That's your specious comment of the day is it?  Every game is a separate entity and the only truth about the four games played is that we could have got the same number of points (twelve) by scoring only twelve goals rather than ten more than that.

That's a ridiculous comment. How is that specious. Starting to wonder if you appreciate the meaning of the word. We needed at least 3 goals in our last 3 games in order to get maximum points. Bristol, Stoke and Birmingham all scored 2 goals, hence needing 3 goals in each game to gain maximum points. That's a literal fact.

Every game is absolutely a separate entity and our defence have been in way more than 3 games and proven they can keep clean sheets. Added context which doesn't really help either argument. Prior to the Reading game, we scored 4 goals in 6 games, conceded 4. So in those games required an average of 2 goals a game to gain maximum points. Something we struggled to do. The defence actually did well for the most part in those fixtures however. During this time, the defence weren't having the finger pointed at them. Just goes to show how quickly the tide can turn from attack to defence. Even during this time though, I'd hazard a guess that regardless of the maximum points, Silva and his team will be ironing out the defensive cracks whilst also working out how we can maximise chances created.

I think if you asked Ream and Tosin how happy they were with conceding 2 goals in each of the last 3 fixtures, you'd see how really specious the argument is. 

Baszab

We miss Seri screening in front of the box
But with TC and Fab on form - we are brilliant going forward
Can't have all 3 and Reed unfortunately