watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Are these goals preventable?

Started by wback, January 22, 2022, 09:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wback

Hard to say - certainly not sure they're Rodak's fault.

Today, the first came from not picking up the runner and a good ball. It happens. We fought back well.

Second was a shot from 30 yards. At a push, Reed's starting position was too deep. If he were 2 yards further out, the shot doesn't get made.

Generally though, it feels like we are conceding too many from that area - around the edge of the D.

So how do we get more bodies in there without sacrificing the attacking balance?

I don't know if we can, without benching Cairney or Carvalho (not going to happen right now).

Perhaps the best hope we have is that opposition players stop finding the corners so accurately? (Sounds dumb, but we do seem to be conceding to low probability shots).

If I was Marco Silva, I'm not changing anything, other than demanding the players get really vigilant to the fact we give that space away.

Caedal

The first goal, we just weren't switched on. No pressure on the cross, and Ream totally lost his man. The second I think Rodak should have saved, it was a good height and it wasn't right in the corner.

You're right though, we're conceding some goals from that area outside the box. Isn't that the position that Reed is meant to be in the team to shield. I don't feel like we have those issues when Seri is in there. Not sure if Reed is over compensating for having Cairney in the team, but he is getting drawn out of that position quite a lot. I know people love his work rate, but I feel like he needs to read the game a bit better rather than trying to use his work rate to recover

TC's Sporran

Quote from: Caedal on January 22, 2022, 10:01:04 PM
The first goal, we just weren't switched on. No pressure on the cross, and Ream totally lost his man. The second I think Rodak should have saved, it was a good height and it wasn't right in the corner.

You're right though, we're conceding some goals from that area outside the box. Isn't that the position that Reed is meant to be in the team to shield. I don't feel like we have those issues when Seri is in there. Not sure if Reed is over compensating for having Cairney in the team, but he is getting drawn out of that position quite a lot. I know people love his work rate, but I feel like he needs to read the game a bit better rather than trying to use his work rate to recover

caedal i imagine you would prefer seri in the team instead of cairney. this might beef us up a little but do you think we would lose a lot in creativity? or only a little? or not at all?

Caedal

To be honest, I'd like to see Seri and Cairney together. I don't think Reed offers anything if he's played further forward. Does anyone know where Seri is playing at the Afcon? Is he playing DM or AM?

wback

I think we have to leave this team exactly as is until they draw 4-4 or lose. Even when Seri is back, he returns on the bench.

If Carvalho leaves, then it's Reed deep, Seri in front, Cairney at 10.

And if we are still conceding (not persuaded Seri adds that much more of a shield), then we put another DM in and grind our way to the title with 15 straight 2-0 wins.

TC's Sporran

Quote from: Caedal on January 22, 2022, 10:10:13 PM
To be honest, I'd like to see Seri and Cairney together. I don't think Reed offers anything if he's played further forward. Does anyone know where Seri is playing at the Afcon? Is he playing DM or AM?
i would too. i would have said a week ago maybe play seri cairney and reed and drop carv to try and fit them in. but his recent games he has been close to motm.

Deeping_white

Quote from: Caedal on January 22, 2022, 10:10:13 PM

He plays as a number 8. Ivory Coast have Kessie playing as a pure DM so it allows Seri to come deep and get the ball, but he also gets forward a fair amount too basically dictating play all over the pitch similarly to how we use TC at Fulham. I'd rather play Reed as a DM and allow him to be further forward, either rotated with Seri or if Carvalho is out of action then you could play them both.

TC's Sporran

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sLhPz_ne8A
some of the worst editting ive ever seen. seri appears to be more dm but hardly features.

LC

Yes I think they all were. If we go up we need to invest in an experienced top notch midfielder and a new centre back. Defensive positioning wasn't great and I think the midfield at times gets a little lost. Still not a bad performance given the circumstances

Rupert

The way I see it, these teams are scoring very good goals against us, but gaining nothing from doing so. Yes, we can point the finger at some of ours for not doing better (ain't hindsight a wonderful thing?) but I do not see the harm, every now and then, of giving the opposition a little credit for playing well.

it's just that we are playing better.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

WestSussexWhite

However, teams are shooting from distance against us more often now, that suggests to me they've picked up on Rodak's difficulty moving across the goal

AJW48361

Stoke 2nd goal had plenty of dip and swerve on it and going away from Marek.A shade harsh to blame him imo.

JimmyConway

Of the six goals conceded in the last three games 4 possibly 5 were questionable from our perspective. That might seem harsh considering  our recent form but you can't just turn a blind eye to this.
Rodak near post for Bristol City first goal Ream needed to be stronger or even cynical for Bristol City second goal. Both Stoke goals are quite poor with the same two players involved. Ream has no awareness whatsoever for the first goal and being so early in the game is quite poor how switched off he was. Rodak has to do better from that distance hardly top corner. Looks slow getting across in all fairness. Birmingham's second slow down?

Lighthouse

Isn't it fair to say the all goals are preventable. If only the move was stopped earlier, if only the keeper moved quicker, if only the marking was better.

All our goals are always preventable but then it is always easier to over praise when we score and over analyse when we concede.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

rebel

All the goals in the last 4 matches easily preventable, it's sloppy play, not defending as a unit.

The fact that some of the finishes are classy, hides the fact that we could and should of stopped them.

The second goal yesterday, there was so much time and space it was ridiculous.