more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Official Silly Season January Transfer Thread 2021/22

Started by Slaphead in Qatar, December 25, 2021, 01:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maidstone Lee

Quote from: Jeroen on February 01, 2022, 10:57:27 AM
So how much 'dead wood' did we manage to offload?

A real shame that we didn't get Kongolo a load deal as he REALLY needs game time to show us he can stay fit
(there is no doubt about his quality)

Is the European market closed now? Could he get a loan deal back to Holland?
Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19

Riverside

A real shame that we didn't get Kongolo a load deal as he REALLY needs game time to show us he can stay fit

Dead wood is harsh
But 4 1st team squad members left

Odoi - will be missed
Christie
Sess - as a loan needs playing time
Quina - wasn't up to it

I agree would have been great to get Kongolo out as a loan
Can we move him to the U-23s to get playing time ?

StuinSalop

Kongolo now has to start playing games, Ned needs to show what he still has, is he the same player he once was or have the injuries done for him.  A loan, under 23's, whatever... he needs game time.

Mawson is similar, when was the last time he played 90 mins? 

I suspect a massive issue is salaries of these guys which other clubs just can't get close too.   Does Silva think Kongolo is close to being on the bench I wonder?   I would be very tempted to start him at city if he is anywhere near ready.... Wha is there to lose?

Count Flapula

Quote from: bencher on February 01, 2022, 10:49:18 AM
I would imagine we agreed to let Odoi go at his request, rather than seeking to move him on proactively. He may be getting on in years but he has played enough games this year ahead of Christie, Sessegnon and even Tete at times to show that Silva valued him.
I don't see Odoi and Williams as like for like really, the latter is a wing-back cum winger and not a natural defender like Odoi. For me, Tete still starts in front of Williams when fit, but Williams could be a useful option from the bench to add another dimension to our attack.
The other possibility is Silva wants a more attack minded right back and he will get games in front of Tete. Tete is an excellent defender and has a good cross, but he is naturally quite conservative, and will often get the ball in the last third and pass back into midfield rather than attempt a cross or dribble. Williams would be more direct and allow Wilson to float inside while he bombs down the line as an overlap.

Was offered a 5.5 year contract according to all reports - at 33 that's an incredible offer of financial stability so would have been morally wrong for the club to stand in his way - especially such a good servant to the club as him with all his Fulham Foundation work.

Top guy and still a good FB at this level - has had (minus his last game) a good season as well, really vying with Tete for the RB spot over the last few games when both were fit (Tete definitely a better player at Prem level before anyone starts). Some of the "past it/out of his depth" comments on here way off the mark.

All the best Denis - been a fantastic servant as I say and joins the likes of Volz, Paintsil and Bairdinho on the recent list of Fulhamish fullbacks with a bit a cult following.

junior white

Quote from: Count Flapula on February 01, 2022, 11:41:25 AM
Quote from: bencher on February 01, 2022, 10:49:18 AM
I would imagine we agreed to let Odoi go at his request, rather than seeking to move him on proactively. He may be getting on in years but he has played enough games this year ahead of Christie, Sessegnon and even Tete at times to show that Silva valued him.
I don't see Odoi and Williams as like for like really, the latter is a wing-back cum winger and not a natural defender like Odoi. For me, Tete still starts in front of Williams when fit, but Williams could be a useful option from the bench to add another dimension to our attack.
The other possibility is Silva wants a more attack minded right back and he will get games in front of Tete. Tete is an excellent defender and has a good cross, but he is naturally quite conservative, and will often get the ball in the last third and pass back into midfield rather than attempt a cross or dribble. Williams would be more direct and allow Wilson to float inside while he bombs down the line as an overlap.

Was offered a 5.5 year contract according to all reports - at 33 that's an incredible offer of financial stability so would have been morally wrong for the club to stand in his way - especially such a good servant to the club as him with all his Fulham Foundation work.

Top guy and still a good FB at this level - has had (minus his last game) a good season as well, really vying with Tete for the RB spot over the last few games when both were fit (Tete definitely a better player at Prem level before anyone starts). Some of the "past it/out of his depth" comments on here way off the mark.

All the best Denis - been a fantastic servant as I say and joins the likes of Volz, Paintsil and Bairdinho on the recent list of Fulhamish fullbacks with a bit a cult following.
I am fairly sure, well 99% certain Denis's deal with Club Brugge is till the end of 2024

Oakeshott

I think the 5.5 years is how long he has been with us, not the length of his new contract in Belgium.

junior white

Quote from: Oakeshott on February 01, 2022, 04:27:20 PM
I think the 5.5 years is how long he has been with us, not the length of his new contract in Belgium.
That makes more sense, the Brugge website says deal till end of 2024 season for Dennis

Lighthouse

Quote from: Deeping_white on February 01, 2022, 10:35:11 AM
Quote from: Lighthouse on February 01, 2022, 10:16:54 AM
We are weaker now than we were . Certainly no improvement and while others gamble on new players we gamble on hanging on with what we have and selling a utility player who was useful and bringing in a

We replaced a near 34 year old full back with someone much younger and more mobile, not sure how that makes us weaker? Bournemouth have signed 5 championship calibre players in a desperate attempt to gamble on promotion and if anything it destabilises their squad.

Well we replaced a near 34 year old, experienced utility defender with a kid. So I am not sure it makes us anything but weaker. But time will tell. But as I said in the original post others have GAMBLED on bringing in new players and we GAMBLED on not bringing in new players.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

SP

Didn't see a move for the star striker at Blackburn, if they've kept him that's a huge boost for them.

cmg

"So Part 1 went off perfectly.
Part 2 - at the end of the season you go to Everton...That'll really p1ss them off."

Riversider

Quote from: Lighthouse on February 01, 2022, 09:32:37 PM
We are weaker now than we were . Certainly no improvement and while others gamble on new players we gamble on hanging on with what we have and selling a utility player who was useful and bringing in a

We replaced a near 34 year old full back with someone much younger and more mobile, not sure how that makes us weaker? Bournemouth have signed 5 championship calibre players in a desperate attempt to gamble on promotion and if anything it destabilises their squad.

Well we replaced a near 34 year old, experienced utility defender with a kid. So I am not sure it makes us anything but weaker. But time will tell. But as I said in the original post others have GAMBLED on bringing in new players and we GAMBLED on not bringing in new players.

Good grief,  I despair sometimes 🙄

BarryP

Quote from: Riversider on February 02, 2022, 12:01:56 AM
Quote from: Lighthouse on February 01, 2022, 09:32:37 PM

Good grief,  I despair sometimes 🙄

Now you know how the rest of us feel!  :022:
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Andyb

kiwian

Quote from: Fulham Tup North on February 01, 2022, 07:14:29 AM
Quote from: HV71 on February 01, 2022, 07:07:12 AM
Please don't stop WSW - your posts are genuinely appreciated. Those that are critical simply don't have the brain power to understand the complexities of the situation - their problem not yours
You could sign a player yourself and people would question you... ignore them.. your input is very much appreciated 👏 👍
Totally agree.
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Anyone see that josh maja gone to stoke?

Just shows that he was no5 Premiership standard.

We Are Premier League

We might actually have kept his as the 9th defender and 5th CB in the end given that we offloaded - Odoi, Christie, Fossey and Sess. Think we would have demanded a RLC type deal with any borrowing club; that you play him or you cover most/all of the salary.