more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff - 23/02/22...

Started by WhiteJC, February 22, 2022, 06:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Manager plans revealed for Peterborough United vs Fulham

After Darren Ferguson decided to mutually end his stint as manager at Peterborough at the weekend, the Championship side are now on the lookout for a new boss.

The side, who are currently flirting with relegation, are keeping their options open and are currently in the process of seeing who to appoint to take them forward for the rest of the year.

With the search ongoing though, it means that there will not be a permanent appointment in place by the time Peterborough face off against Fulham in midweek. It means that Matthew Etherington, who has previously never managed a side, will be in charge for the fixture as reported by BBC Sport.

The former Stoke man has been with Posh for a while now, having worked his way up through the ranks after he retired from playing. He began coaching with the team's Under-18 side before working his way up to an assistant coaching role.

Now, with the side in need of someone to lead the team in the interim, it looks as if he will be handed the main job until they can locate their next permanent boss.

It also means that, come the game against Fulham, Etherington will be taking charge of his very first game as a manager. He'll therefore be hoping to make a good impression and come away with something against a side that will be extremely hard to break down.

If he can manage even a point against the Cottagers though, then that will be seen as a success for the club.

The Verdict

Matthew Etherington has little to no experience in the management game but that isn't anything to worry about considering he will only be leading the side temporarily.

The former player though will want to make a good impression – and if he picks up some points during his time at the helm, who is to say he might not land the role until the end of the season? It's happened at plenty of clubs in the past.

Etherington has certainly done his rounds in terms of coaching and has worked his way up through the ranks with Posh too – so knows how the team works, how they function and what is needed to get the best out of them.

It'll therefore be interesting to see if he switches things up for the Fulham game and tries something new to try and get an eye-catching result or whether he will stick largely with the same tactics Darren Ferguson used and be merely a stopgap between appointments.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/manager-plans-revealed-for-peterborough-united-vs-fulham/

WhiteJC

'Out for vengeance' – Fulham vs Peterborough United prediction: The72

Fulham will be looking to get back to winning ways against managerless Peterborough United on Wednesday night.

Marco Silva's side still sit pretty at the top of the Championship table, but they fell to defeat against in-form Huddersfield Town at the weekend.

They have a great chance to get back on track on Wednesday though, with Peterborough United travelling down to Craven Cottage for a Championship club. Posh are without a manager after Darren Ferguson departed the club, with the London Road side sat in 23rd place, five points away from safety.

Ahead of the game, some of our writers have issued their predictions for the game...

James Ray (@_jamesrray)

"Looking at this game on paper, this can surely only go one way.

"Fulham score for fun while Peterborough United have the Championship's second-worst defensive record this season. Posh may hope that caretaker boss Matty Etherington can bring a bounce after Ferguson's departure, but Silva's side will have too much for them to handle.

"Fulham will want to make a point after losing to Huddersfield Town too, so a comfortable home win should await."

Score prediction: Fulham 4-0 Peterborough United
Luke Phelps (@lukephelps72)

"Despite Posh parting ways with Darren Ferguson, and Fulham having the odd dip in form in the Championship, I really can only see this one going one way.

"Fulham should have far too much firepower for Peterborough to handle and after their unexpected defeat v Huddersfield Town last time out, they'll be out for vengeance."

Score prediction: Fulham 3-0 Peterborough United
Finlay Openshaw

"It doesn't get any easier for a struggling Peterborough side, who are desperate for goals just as much as points as they travel to free-scoring Fulham.

"Fulham will look to bounce back last weekend's defeat to retain their six-point lead at the top over title rivals Bournemouth.

"Peterborough need a reaction in this game after losing manager Darren Ferguson earlier in the week, but Fulham will see this as the perfect chance to get back to winning ways."

Score prediction Fulham 5-0 Peterborough United

https://the72.co.uk/263815/out-for-vengeance-fulham-vs-peterborough-united-prediction-the72/

WhiteJC

Plymouth Argyle will put 'bad result' behind them and focus on bouncing back on Saturday

"It is a long season and games come very fast so we have to put bad results behind us and look forward as this is a very positive team."

Plymouth Argyle defender Steven Sessegnon said that the squad will be putting the defeat at Cambridge United behind them as they start a run of home games.

First half goals from Sam Smith and Jack Lankester were enough to give the U's all three points at home to the Pilgrims on Tuesday as the five game unbeaten run and four consecutive wins came to an end.

Other results helped the Greens out as despite losing, they stayed fifth in the table, with six of the next seven at Home Park.

The on-loan Fulham man made his debut for Argyle in the second half and said it was a proud moment to pull on the shirt for the first time and that the players won't be dwelling too much on the slightly disappointing performance and result.

"I was very proud to debut and it has been a long time coming," the 21-year-old said. "I am glad it has finally happened but unfortunately we couldn't get the three points.

"I knew how good of a team we are and the good football they play and looking to getting in and playing fast attacking football, so I was looking forward to this a lot.

"We have to consider the run we were on and good things don't always last forever. We can't be too disappointed and there is a big game on Saturday and we have to look forward to that. It is a long season and games come very fast so we have to put bad results behind us and look forward as this is a very positive team."

The transfer deadline day loan signing from Fulham has not been involved in any of the Pilgrims' three games since he arrived at Home Park, and boss Steven Schumacher said that he wasn't fully fit to start on Tuesday after his hamstring injury.

Steven Sessegnon of Plymouth Argyle during the Sky Bet League match between Cambridge United and Plymouth Argyle on Tuesday 22nd February 2022, Abbey Stadium, Cambridge Cambridgeshire - Photo: Dave Rowntree/PPAUK

Schumacher said: "Joe Edwards had a little niggle yesterday in training, so I didn't feel it was right to risk him, so Ryan Broom started and Sess was on the bench.

"He showed some little bits of quality when he came on and I'm pleased to have him finally involved."

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/plymouth-argyle-put-bad-result-6705120

WhiteJC

Up next: Peterborough United (h)

Saturday's stumble at the hands of in-form Huddersfield stirred the emotions. It was infuriating for a couple of reasons: there was a lingering sense of injustice at the final whistle after Fulham were on the wrong end of a couple of contentious penalty decisions, but there was little doubt that the Whites were far from their free-flowing best. It certainly served as a reminder of the Championship's unpredictability and the folly of suggesting, as many have, that promotion to the Premier League, is now a foregone conclusion.

The performance was particularly uneven. Marco Silva suggested that his side were the best on the pitch and the league leaders did create plenty of scoring opportunities but they looked laboured in possession at times and were diffident in defence. A well-drilled Huddersfield side, who were dangerous on the break, took full advantage to extend their unbeaten run to fifteen matches and Carlos Corberan's men look like a decent bet for the play-offs, which would have surprised everyone who saw them get ruthlessly taken apart at home in August.

The challenge for Fulham is to bounce back immediately and avoid any poor run of form that would give heart to the chasing back. Silva has decisions to make ahead of the visit of relegation-threatened Peterborough. Marek Rodak has admitted his culpability for Huddersfield's first goal and hopes to put that behind him, whilst Antonee Robinson's recent form at left back is a real concern. Fulham's central midfield lacked bite at the weekend, with Nathaniel Chalobah particularly passive and Tom Cairney unable to dictate proceedings in his usual fashion. One of those two should make way for either Harrison Reed or Jean Michael Seri, who hasn't started a game since returning from the Africa Cup of Nations.

Peterborough will be something of a unknown quantity after Darren Ferguson called time on his third spell with the club following defeat to Derby at the weekend. The Posh were always likely to find life back in the Championship tough, but the decision to part with one of their best players – Siriki Dembele – on deadline day only served to make things more difficult. The Posh will be under of the stewardship of a caretaker manager team for the trip to Craven Cottage, with Matthew Etherington, who had done a sterling job with their youth team set-up before being promoted to assistant manager last year, assisted by Fulham legend Simon Davies. Their tenure could be as short as a single game with Grant McCann heavily tipped to return to the club where his managerial career began.

In his comments after his interim appointment was confirmed, Etherington insisted that he wouldn't be parting too drastically from Ferguson's approach, highlighting the narrow home defeat by Fulham in November as an example of how his side can compete with the league leaders. Posh were unfortunate not to get a point that day, thwarted by a few important saves by Marek Rodak, and beaten by an expert header from Aleksandar Mitrovic. They might view this evening as a bit of a free hit, but five points from safety, Peterborough badly need to improve a desperate away record which seen them lose fourteen of sixteen matches on the road this season, conceding 43 goals.

The visitors will definitely be without Hayden Coulson, who is suspended after his Pride Park dismissal. The former Sunderland protégé Bali Mumba could come in, whilst Jonson Clarke-Harris is an option should Etherington want to shake-up his front three. Fulham could extend their lead at the top of the table to six points again tonight, with Bournemouth hampered by two successive possessions, and banishing the deflation from Saturday's defeat will be firmly at the forefront of their minds.

MY FULHAM XI (4-2-3-1): Rodak; Williams, Bryan, Adarabioyo, Ream; Reed, Cairney; Wilson, Kebano, Carvalho; Mitrovic. Subs: Gazzaniga, Tete, Hector, Chalobah, Seri, Decordova-Reid, Stansfield.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/02/up-next-peterborough-united-h/

WhiteJC

Sessegnon makes his Argyle bow

It's been a long time coming, but on Tuesday night, Steven Sessegnon finally made his debut for the Greens.

Steven, who joined the Pilgrims on loan from Fulham back in the January transfer window, came on as a 68th minute substitute, replacing Ryan Broom, in Argyle's 2-0 Sky Bet League One defeat to Cambridge United.

Despite the result at the end of the game, he was delighted to have finally put the shirt on and get involved.

"I'm very proud," Steven said, "it's been a long time coming as well.

"I've looked forward to coming in and playing with the boys, so I'm glad it's finally happened.

"Unfortunately, we couldn't get the three points but I'm very happy to make my debut."

Since signing on deadline day, Steven has had to sit from the side lines as he recovered from a slight hamstring injury.

He travelled with the squad to Gillingham on Saturday and was involved in matchday squad for the first time at the Abbey Stadium.

He said, "I was looking forward to getting in and playing with the boys, playing fast attacking football, so I was looking forward to this day a lot.

"I had a bit of a set back with my hamstring but I'm just glad I'm back out, I'm at my happiest when I'm out playing, especially for this club."

Now that he's made his bow, Steven is feeling positive about the push towards the end of the season and getting as high up the Sky Bet League One table as possible.

He has admitted that Tuesday night's result does not reflect on how well the Greens have been doing so far this season, so believes that nobody should feel downhearted about it.

"I think we've got to consider the run we were on," Steven said, "good things don't last forever I guess but I don't think we can be too disappointed.

"We didn't have the greatest of days, but there's a big game Saturday so we've got to put it past us and look forward to the big game.

"It's a long season. I know we're halfway through, but games come very fast, and then by the time you know it's the end of the season, so we've got to put bad results behind us and look forward because this is a really positive team."

As all players are, Steven was told about the Green Army when he joined and played in front of just over 900 of them on Tuesday night.

He has expressed his excitement of being able to play in front of them again, especially at a packed-out Home Park.

"I've definitely been told about the fans of this club and how passionate they are, and I absolutely love it, and I look forward to seeing them this weekend.

"I've seen videos so I can see how loud and passionate the fans are, so I look forward to being at Home Park and I'm sure they will do their jobs on pushing us forward"

https://www.pafc.co.uk/news/sessegnon-makes-his-argyle-bow

WhiteJC

Sessegnon makes Plymouth debut

Steven Sessegnon made the first appearance of his loan spell at Plymouth Argyle – coming on as a second half substitute in the Pilgrims' 2-0 defeat by Cambridge United last night.

The England under-21 international has been sidelined with a hamstring injury since being loaned out by Fulham for first-team football on transfer deadline day. He played the final 22 minutes of a disappointing defeat for Steven Schumacher's side, but was upbeat in speaking to Plymouth's official website:

"I'm very proud – it's been a long time coming as well. I've looked forward to coming in and playing with the boys, so I'm glad it's finally happened. Unfortunately, we couldn't get the three points but I'm very happy to make my debut."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/02/sessegnon-makes-plymouth-debut/