watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (31/12/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, December 31, 2010, 07:54:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1342838/Mark-Hughes-confident-Bobby-Zamora-make-early-return-Fulham.html?

Mark Hughes confident Bobby Zamora will make an early return for Fulham

Mark Hughes is confident Bobby Zamora will be fit enough to rejoin squad training sessions as early as next week.

The striker broke his right leg on September 11 and also suffered ligament damage to his ankle.

Fulham have found goals hard to come by in Zamora's absence and have been linked with a £2m move for Cardiff City's Jay Bothroyd in January.

Hughes said: 'I'm aware of Jay because I worked with him at Blackburn. But, from my knowledge, he is very much a Cardiff player.'

And Hughes is considering a move for Stoke misfit Eidur Gudjohnsen. Stoke will listen to offers for the 32-year-old.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1342838/Mark-Hughes-confident-Bobby-Zamora-make-early-return-Fulham.html#ixzz19fpwwBk7

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/12/30/david-stockdale-handed-fulham-chance-82029-27909185/?

David Stockdale handed Fulham chance

DAVID Stockdale can rekindle his England hopes when he takes over from Mark Schwarzer in Fulham's goal next week – according to his boss.

Stockdale will don the gloves against WBA on Tuesday because Fulham's number one is on his way with Australia to the Asia Cup, although Mark Hughes has ruled out a loan keeper while Schwarzer is away for at least five games.

The Whites manager will upgrade 20-year-old Neil Etheridge from the academy to the bench and insists Stockdale is good enough to get Fulham upwardly mobile.

The former Darlington shot-stopper was being slated to join the England camp in August before an ankle injury in the 2-2 draw at Blackpool strangled his chances at birth.

But Hughes is confident a decent showing while Schwarzer sweats in Qatar will have England coach Fabio Capello back to Craven Cottage checking on the 25-year-old.

Hughes said: "David got near to an England squad and probably would have been in – and we've got to hope he makes a similar impression.

"He did really well when he came in at the beginning of the season – and there's no reason why he can't do the same."

"Ideally for us, it would be good if Australia got knocked in the group stages of the Asia Cup – but that's not going to happen looking at their group.

"But we've got Neil Etheridge coming back from international duty (with the Philippines) – and we're comfortable with our situation."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/12/30/david-stockdale-handed-fulham-chance-82029-27909185/?#ixzz19fqaIF2l

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6623378,00.html?

Stoor set for Fulham exit
Swede's transfer request accepted by Cottagers

Fulham defender Fredrik Stoor is set to leave the club after his transfer request was finally granted.

The 26-year-old right-back has endured a torrid time since arriving at Craven Cottage back in 2008 and has not started a single Premier League game for the West Londoners.

Sweden international Stoor is set to end his Fulham nightmare and secure a move back to Scandinavia or elsewhere in Europe.

"I said I want to get away from here, and it seems there may be something this time," he told Fotbollskanalen.

"What it is is too early to say. I've wanted to be sold a long time, and now the club has changed. They have agreed to let me go in this window.

"I know there are clubs in both Denmark and Norway who are interested. I've also heard rumours about clubs in other leagues in Europe who are interested, but so far nothing is clear."

Stoor had a spell on loan with Derby last season but will now make a permanent switch away from Fulham when the transfer window opens.

WhiteJC

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/12/30/without-zamora/?

Without Zamora
Filed under: Analysis — timmyg 
Here's a guest post by Dominic, otherwise known as ImperialWhite. It may be a little out of date, but that is completely my fault — holidays and all. Enjoy!

As I write it's freezing cold and snowing. But in Fulham there's a drought. A goal drought – just 17 goals – level with Birmingham having played one more, and only Wigan have fewer (15). Our defensive record is still impressive – we're level with Tottenham on 23 goals conceded, joint 11th.

I'm sure nobody needed me to tell them that our current woes stem from our inability to score. Rightly or wrongly, this is often blamed on Karl Henry and that tackle on Bobby Zamora. But hang on – last season Zamora did score a lot (8), but you've also got Dempsey (7), Duff (6), Murphy (5) and others (13). Only a fifth of our goals (20.5%) came from Bobby's golden boots (or arse – in the case of his winning goal at Pompey, our last league away win).

This season? Dempsey, 5 (what a star this man is – at this goal rate set to beat Zamora's tally last season) and 12 goals fall that into the 'others' category; no one else has scored more than 2. So is it more just a case of taking last season and subtracting Zamora? According to www.premierleague.com Zamora had 6 assists. This brings his contribution up to 35.9%. Enough to account for the paucity of goals? Certainly, we're an old side, and we benefit enormously from a player with his strength and technique that can hold a ball, and disrupt and distract a defence, like no one else in the squad.

Last season we were relatively lucky with injuries, especially given that we played an astonishing 63 games. However, our forays into Europe led Hodgson to make a number of changes in the league. www.football-lineups.com allows us to examine our record in games without Zamora last season (a season many acknowledge as one of the best in our history). Zamora played in all games but 11 last season. Below is a table comparing Hughes' and Hodgson's record in league games in which Zamora didn't play.

Figure 1 – Comparing Hughes' and Hodgson's record in games with Zamora.

Figure 2 – Roy Hodgon's record in games last season without Zamora

Both poor records. Hodgson only betters Hughes by 0.1 points a game, not enough to increase our league placing, and statistically speaking there isn't a difference between them (according to a rough and ready Excel T-test, p value=0.8). To produce adjusted points and league place I multiplied their respective points per game record by 14 and added the 6 points won the period with Zamora when we still looked impressive (a win against Wolves and draws against Bolton, Manchester United and Blackpool). Perhaps this shows, given the lack of depth in our squad, that we were doomed whoever was in charge, the moment Karl Henry tackled Zamora?

Prior to this exercise I was firmly in the Hughes-out camp – but now I'm not so sure. Surely to doubt Hughes is to doubt Hodgson (one of the greatest managers Fulham have ever had), given their respective records in comparable circumstances? One could argue that in Hodgson's games without Zamora, he was forced to change more than just Zamora. Or, one could argue that Hughes' games are in his first half season – whereas most of these games fall within the last half season of Hodgson's reign so has far more experience with this squad. What do people, both doubters and supporters of Hughes, think – is this a sensible analysis?

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2010/12/were-winning-away-were-winning-awayyyy/?

We're winning away, we're winning awayyyy...
by LORK on DECEMBER 30, 2010

Sunday was abysmal, there's no hiding it. To lose 3-1 to the worst side in the league at home with one of the greatest 'snatching defeat from the jaws of victory' performances I've seen was demoralising and embarassing and it just goes to show then how long two days is in football. The opinion on Hughes has swivelled from almost unanimous calls of 'HUGHES OUT' to 'Well he's alright really'.

No bones about it, the win at Stoke was massive, not just for Hughes but for our season. When we were threatened to being cut off at the bottom of the table we pulled a gritty, determined performance out of the bag. After two great goals from Chris Baird (saying that will never ever get old) we went through to half time fairly comfortably. AJ went close to scoring and Murphy cleared off the line but other than that the other 35 minutes weren't particuarly eventful. The second half however called for big performances from the players with Stoke pumping their typical long balls into our box for almost all of it, and thankfully they delivered. Hangeland, Hughes and Schwarzer deserve to come out of the game with alot of credit. They coped admirably with the aerial bombardment at the heart of our defence and set the tone for our performance.

As I said this result meant alot to Hughes. We are still in the relegation zone but only 3 points seperate us in 18th and Everton in 11th, and from there it's only another 3 until Blackpool in 8th. The season then is no where near set in stone and if we get a good run of results going we could be pushing for a top ten place. Our problem since Zamora got injured is basically a complete lack of end product in the final third; build up play is nice to watch and our defence is pretty good (no one's conceded fewer goals away from home) but as soon as we get in and around the penalty area we fall apart, demonstrated in painful fashion against West Ham after controlling the vast majority of that first half. Bairdinho sorted that out for us on Tuesday but we can't rely on 20 yard screamers every game so it was good to see Hughes in post-match interviews confirm he's in for a striker or two in January.

The fist pumping  by Hughes to the away fans was good to see, it shows that after calls that he isn't that bothered or motivated to succeed he does very much care about what he does here and hat action alone also seems to have increased his affinity with the fans a fair bit going off the post match reactions on the messageboards. He still seems a bit of an awkward fit here but hopefully at Spurs and West Brom we'll hear more 'Marky Hughes Blawhiarmayy' from the stands. Also interesting to watch was how the players acted. Also in the face of calls that Hughes no longer has the players support we saw a side work exceptionally hard and make a point of all grouping together after the goals. I didn't think he lost the players and the Stoke game showed it, the players really did look pumped up for it and they went mental after scoring the goals. It was a shame about Pulis not shaking Hughes' hand, it was a bit childish really, but Hughes dealt with it well in the interviews after the game.

So next up is Spurs away. It would be unfair to expect a win at one of the best teams in the country but I'm feeling optimistic that if we put in a good performance we could nick something after finally banishing that away hoodoo for another season at least. After that we have West Brom and Peterborough at home in League and Cup respectively, so by the time we're into the second week of January we could be looking at a couple of home wins. I'd expect to win those two and it would give Hughes a bit of breathing room if we do. It's always nice to go far in cups and it'll be a good confidence booster to get a comfortable home win after a poor one of results at Craven Cottage. I hope we get a good crowd in though, Peterborough have already sold three and a half thousand tickets!

More important for Hughes and us though is that the transer market is reopened in 2 days. I'm genuinely really looking forward to Hughes will do here. His record at Blackburn with regards to player buys is very very impressive and some of the names we've been linked with are exciting, and although we need to take most rumours with a truckload of salt there are some solid articles that we can believe, such as the quotes from the Romanian press of Lacina Traore joining, Bentley coming on loan and the potential transfer of Ochoa (although that's no longer happening, it's good to see we're being linked with some of the worlds best young talent, something we haven't seen for a while). It also shows the support Hughes has from up above, and if he's being given a few quid to spend to build a team then it's likely that he will be around until the end of the season and probably for a few more after that. I think that with this Stoke result Hughes has turned a corner, and with the January additions I am confident that we're going to have a good second half of the season.

WhiteJC

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/dec/30/mark-hughes-christopher-samba-blackburn-fulham?

Mark Hughes hopes to lure Christopher Samba from Blackburn to Fulham
• Christopher Samba unhappy at dismissal of Sam Allardyce
• Mark Hughes signed defender for Blackburn Rovers in 2007

Mark Hughes, the Fulham manager, is hoping to capitalise on Christopher Samba's apparent unhappiness at Blackburn Rovers by making a move for the defender when the transfer window opens.

Hughes was Blackburn's manager when Samba signed from Hertha Berlin for £450,000 in January 2007, and is keen to be reunited with a player he believes can make a big difference for a Fulham side struggling in 18th position.

Samba went public with his desire to leave Ewood Park after the club's new owners, the Venky's Group, sacked Sam Allardyce this month. Steve Kean, Allardyce's replacement, has since reported that Samba has changed his mind but Hughes believes he can attract a player who represents one of his more astute pieces of transfer business.

Hughes is also mulling over a move for another of his former players, Manchester City's unwanted striker Roque Santa Cruz, but has reservations about pinning his hopes on a player with such a persistent injury record.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/December/PantsilSpursPreview.aspx?

Fighting Spirit

On Thursday afternoon John Pantsil discussed the importance of Fulham's victory over Stoke earlier this week as he looked ahead to this weekend's London derby against Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane.

"It was really important to get that away win against Stoke," Pantsil told fulhamfc.com. "That has lifted the spirit because Stoke are a really tough side to beat. They're big boys and they're tough.

"It was a good atmosphere afterwards driving back to London. We didn't even think about the long journey back, we were just happy with the victory.

"We were very professional on Tuesday and fought hard whilst playing good football. To play Stoke and beat them at the Britannia, you have to be stronger than them. If not they will beat you and frustrate you.

"We were tactically disciplined on the pitch and everyone did really well. When we do our jobs the team game takes care of itself. What we have to do now is continue that form on Saturday against Spurs."

Fulham proved more than a match for Stoke on Tuesday in every department and Pantsil believes the mettle that the Team added to their game at the Britannia Stadium could prove decisive against Spurs on New Year's Day.

"We have to continue where we left off at Stoke," Pantsil explained. "It's important to keep that fighting spirit we showed on Tuesday. I'm looking forward to the challenge this weekend. We still need more points to move us up the table and away from the bottom and we're all well prepared for the game.

"We stick together as a Club and hopefully we can get a good result against Spurs. It's going to be a tough game but we don't want to be down near the bottom - we believe in ourselves."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/December/PantsilSpursPreview.aspx?#ixzz19fsmVAtN

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/December/FitnessNews.aspx?

Forward Line

There was some positive news from the Training Ground ahead of Saturday's match against Spurs as Mark Hughes reported a clean bill of health following Tuesday night's battling performance at the Britannia Stadium.

"Obviously we've had a couple of games in quick succession and sometimes the players can be compromised by the workload, but the players seem to have come through the games we've played well," Hughes told fulhamfc.com. "There are a few bumps and bruises from a very tough game against Stoke but everybody came through okay.

There was further good news concerning the fitness of strikers Mousa Dembele and Bobby Zamora, with the Belgium international expected to return to action against West Brom at the Cottage on Tuesday night. Meanwhile Zamora will be looking to step up his recovery next week at the Training Ground, as Hughes explained.

"We've have some good news on Mousa Dembele," said Hughes. "He looks better than he has done for a number of weeks so we're hopeful. He may not be ready for the weekend but we're hopeful for the West Brom game next Tuesday.

"Bobby is stepping up his training. We hope to involve him in warm-ups at some point next week. That's the next part of his rehab and his progress is going well.

"We're going to keep him in and around the group now. Along with his ability as a player his personality has been missed. We'll make sure that any work he's doing with the physios will be near the ground so he's in sight of the players, so he can shout at them and give them some stick!"

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/December/FitnessNews.aspx?#ixzz19ft5S0cF

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=226225

Fulham - Hughes Returning To Wales!
For a signing that is!

With January 1st drawing ever closer and with Mark Hughes anticipated as being keen to be actively involved in the luring of several new players to Craven Cottage, the tabloid press are hawking the story around that Hughes is interested in luring the Cardiff striker, Jay Bothroyd, to West London.

A fee of £2 million is mentioned for a player that has scored regularly in the Championship this season and a player who, through his scoring exploits, earned an England squad call-up earlier this season.

Now whether Dave Jones, the Cardiff manager, will sanction such a move remains to be seen and with Cardiff actively mounting a promotion campaign the club may decide not to cash in on their asset even though their financial status has caused a few waves in recent years.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=226225#ixzz19ftNoXoQ

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/12/30/spurs-v-fulham-82029-27909583/?

Spurs v Fulham

CHRIS Baird will be given the chance to prove lightning strikes twice when the Fulham defender lines up free-kicks at Spurs on Saturday.

His boss reckoned it was a 'massive oversight' to deny the Northern Ireland international previous opportunities before his two missiles from distance secured the Whites first away win in 27 attempts at Stoke on Tuesday.

In his defence, Mark Hughes reckoned that neither of the previous two managers before him at Craven Cottage saw the potential in Baird's explosive right foot.

The manager said: "It was a hell of an oversight – but it wasn't just me.

"Bairdy can hit a ball as sweetly as anyone at the club, and having got the away game hurdle out of the way we can go on to better things."

Despite the 2-0 win at the Britannia Stadium, Hughes is aware his team must nullify the threat of fellow Welshman Gareth Bale at White Hart Lane – as well as his Tottenham team-mates.

He said: "We've got to keep his (Bale's) involvement to a minimum – it's true.

"But the problem is that if you focus too much on one player then Tottenham have got others who can exploit a moment's loss of focus.

"We've got to make sure we break up the momentum they can generate and ask questions ourselves."

The game comes too soon for striker Mousa Dembele – but Hughes has pencilled in the Belgian international for a return to face WBA at home on Tuesday night.

Fulham are also without long-term injured Bobby Zamora and Philippe Senderos as they bid to get out of the Premiership's bottom three.

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/12/30/spurs-v-fulham-82029-27909583/?#ixzz19ftfWrUp

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6623610,00.html?

Hughes quells Bothroyd link
Cottagers chief plays down speculation over striker

Mark Hughes has cooled media speculation that Jay Bothroyd is on his wishlist during the January transfer window.

The Fulham manager admitted that the club need to address their insufficient goal tally but would not reveal whether Cardiff City striker Bothroyd was a potential target when the market opens in the New Year.

The Cottagers have mustered just 19 goals this season and have badly missed the threat of Bobby Zamora, who broke his leg at the start of the campaign.

Bothroyd has been elevated into the spotlight this term with 13 goals amassed in the Championship and the much-travelled front-man was handed his first England cap in the friendly against France after impressing manager Fabio Capello.
But Hughes, who worked with the 28-year-old during his time as Blackburn Rovers boss, has played down reports linking him with a £2million move for the Bluebirds centre-forward.

Hughes told Sky Sports News HD: "I'm aware of Jay because I worked with him at Blackburn Rovers and that's where the speculation is coming from.

"He's certainly matured as a player from when I had him. He was still a young player and he was finding his way and he's had a few problems at previous clubs.

"But from my knowledge he's a Cardiff player and it's not something I particularly like to do - talk about other players at other clubs."

WhiteJC

http://sport.virginmedia.com/football/article/2010/12/30/hughes_stays_positive?

Hughes stays positive
Manager Mark Hughes is convinced he can silence his critics by dragging Fulham up the Barclays Premier League table in 2011.

The Welshman has found life tough at Fulham since his appointment and his side will start the new year in the relegation zone after winning just three of their opening 19 league games.

The picture at Craven Cottage could not have been more different 12 months ago when, under Roy Hodgson, the west Londoners were ninth in the league and had just qualified for the knockout stages of the Europa League.

Despite the 2-0 win at Stoke, Fulham remain serious relegation candidates but under-pressure Hughes is sure the Cottagers will have a better second half of the season - and his managerial record suggests he may well be right.

Throughout his five seasons in club management, Hughes' sides have always won more matches in the second half of the season than the first. That, Hughes insists, means Fulham stand a good chance of climbing the division next year.

"We are obviously frustrated because of the situation we find ourselves in at the moment but the second half is likely to give us more enjoyment and success than the first half," Hughes said. "The frustration we felt in the first half will disappear, we'll get players back and we'll kick on in the second half of the season because invariably teams that are managed by me are stronger in the second half of the season. We are more than capable of really kicking on next year."

WhiteJC

http://cottagers.blogspot.com/2010/12/meet-fans-andy.html?

Craven Cottagers
Following the 2007/8, 2008/9, 2009/10 and 2010/11 seasons at Craven Cottage - recounted by season ticket holders who aren't actually Fulham fans.

Meet the 'fans' - Andy
A weedy capitulation to one of the country's worst teams live on TV only to then wrest three points from the Britannia Stadium a few days later is one of the more puzzling aspects of this Fulham side. But they still sit in the relegation zone so this next week will be very, very important.
'
Anyway here's another exciting profile:

Name: Andy
Season tickets held: 2007/8, 2008/9, 2009/10, 2010/11
Hometown: Ashton-under-Lyne, Manchester
Football team supported: Manchester United (with affiliations to Preston North End and Oldham Athletic)

Why did you get a Fulham Season Ticket? I wanted to create a regular social occurrence with some of my friends. We all liked football and the £299 season ticket was too good value to turn down.

Favourite Game: Last season's home game against Juventus has absolutely mental, but for sheer emotion the Hamburg semi-final home leg  was something else. From my mad dash back from Madrid, to the 'stand up if you still believe' chant, to the Simon Davies goal, to the 2-1 victory and grown men crying in the stands, to the victory and my first pint in a pub for nine months which lasted approximately 9 seconds.

Favourite Goal: Again trying to avoid the Juve game - Diomansy Kamara's last minute overhead kick that made it 3-3 against Tottenham Hotspur in September 2007. I think that's when I got the bug.

Favourite Player: As much as I love Johnny Paintsil, I think Clint Dempsey has to take this accolade. He has a lot of attributes that I like in a player.

Least favourite player: Sol Ki-Hyeon - what an absolute waste of space

What do Fulham now mean to you? I honestly don't know. I'm an enthusiastic spectator but does the mania go beyond that? They won't replace United as my first love, despite how lukewarm I am about the current administration there, but will they elbow Preston from the number 2 slot? They should but there is a finite capacity for football supportage than many believe I have already transcended by having more than one team.

WhiteJC

http://www.epltalk.com/4-reasons-why-fulham-need-to-keep-manager-mark-hughes-28120?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+EPLTalk+%28EPL+Talk%29

4 Reasons Why Fulham Need to Keep Manager Mark Hughes

Looking at the table and seeing Fulham currently in 18th position halfway through the season it makes sense to be concerned as a Fulham supporter. The next thing many fans are going to look at are the reasons why Fulham are in the relegation zone. I plan on sharing my points on why I believe Fulham are where they are, and where I think they will end up. However, I feel strongly that a change of manager would be a mistake. Mark Hughes should not be sacked.

First, I feel Hughes should stay is he has not had the proper time to really make a fair judgement on him. Hughes came to Fulham only a few weeks before the season began. It takes time to implement a new system. Half a season to me does not seem like a long time for his style of play to completely show itself as a failure or a success.

Second, another reason for Hughes to stay is he should have the chance to build his squad. The January transfer window is about to open soon. Hughes will have the opportunity to find players to fit into the system he has brought to Fulham. He has already brought in 3 players this summer in Mousa Dembele, Rafik Halliche, and Carlos Salcido. However, I think he needs more reinforcements to play the style he wants Fulham to have.

Third,  Hughes should stay because is not playing with a full squad now. Injuries I believe are a big part of the reason Fulham are currently in 18th. Losing Bobby Zamora to an injury early in the season has become a much bigger issue than I thought. He has been out since September 11th, and won't be returning until February. Fulham really do not have anyone to hold the ball, and really control the defender outside of the box like Zamora. He is a huge physical presence that really helps open up scoring opportunities for the other players.

Also, losing Dembele twice to injuries has hurt the progress of the club as well. In a very short period of time Fulham fans have seen glimpses of a player that I think has the potential to be a star. He got hurt originally on September 21st against Stoke City in a League Cup match. He came back several weeks later but it looked like he was not 100%. He then got hurt during the last international break.

For a team of the size of Fulham, losing those players is a big deal and has to considered a reason for the slow start of the season. Teams like Chelsea can overcome injuries to star players, but it is not as easy for a club like Fulham.

Fourth, another reason Hughes should stay is because of the style of play he has brought to the club. It is a much more adventurous and offensive approach to football from the more defensive style Fulham were playing under Roy Hodgson. We have seen glimpses of what this style can bring very early on in a draw with Manchester United. Hughes' approach also has shown Fulham to be more aggressive on the road. Fulham under Hughes are not playing for a draw, they are going for the win.

It is easy to point the finger at the manager when the club is losing. I don't blame fans for wanting him to be replaced. They are voicing their displeasure on the situation with Fulham. In many situations I think it is vital to switch the manager. However, with Fulham I just don't think sacking Hughes is the correct decision now.

I believe to fully evaluate Hughes you need to wait to see where the team is after the return of the injured players, and when new players have been brought in to help the club. I feel we will know the direction of Fulham in March.

I got a glimpse of what Fulham's style of play was with a complete squad in September and it really impressed me. I look forward to seeing what Fulham can do when Zamora and Dembele again play together.

So I think Fulham are where they are partially because of the injuries, and the lack of scoring up front. If you want to put some of the blame on Hughes for the lack of scoring I guess it could be warranted, but some of that blame should be placed on the players as well.

To put this all in perspective think about this fact from the table. Fulham have only one more loss this season than Arsenal and Chelsea who are currently third and fourth in the league. That is not bad for a team that is currently sitting in the relegation zone. It also tells me they are not far off from turning it around.

Where will Fulham be by the end of the season? This is a bold prediction, but I am still thinking top 10 or possibly as low as seventh. I have a feeling when Fulham are at full strength, games that would have been draws will become victories.

Manager Mark Hughes I believe still could be a huge asset to the future of Fulham. I just think he needs more time to prove himself.

WhiteJC

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/4135/4/fulham-become-latest-club-rule-out-loan-bid-beckham?

Fulham become latest club to rule out loan bid for Beckham

Fulham manager Mark Hughes has ruled out a loan move for David Beckham in the January transfer window.

Speculation linking LA Galaxy midfielder Beckham with a move to the Premier League during the MLS close-season has been rife in recent weeks.

And, as a Londoner himself, it has been rumoured that the former England captain may be open to a return to the capital.

But Hughes insists he will not be bringing Beckham to Craven Cottage in the New Year.

"I know David Beckham personally but I have not had that conversation with him," said the Fulham manager.

"I'm sure as always he will have a clear plan set out for the next 12-18 months and I don't think it will include Fulham."

WhiteJC

http://www.soccerway.com/news/2010/December/30/hughes-keen-to-rattle-spurs/?

Hughes keen to rattle Spurs

Mark Hughes has been involved in professional football for 30 years but this season is like no other as his Fulham side struggle for survival.

Tuesday's win over Stoke was enough to appease the fans but the west London club are still in the relegation zone.

The experienced Welshman knows full well the importance of a win on Saturday against Tottenham.

"We are among a group of teams at the bottom and there are not a lot of points that separate us and one win could take someone up to 11th in the league, that's how tight it is, I have never known a year like it," Hughes said.

Fulham fans have afforded Hughes more time after that 2-0 win over Stoke and a win over Harry Redknapp's men would convince them further.

"We've had a couple of games in quick succession and you always worry that it will have a negative effect on players," he said.

"Apart from a few bumps and bruises after a tough game with Stoke everyone has come through ok, which is a bonus."

"We've even had good news on Mousa Dembele, he is looking good. He won't be ready for the weekend but he has a good chance of playing against West Brom in midweek."

The absence of strikers Dembele, Bobby Zamora (broken leg) and Andrew Johnson (various) has affected Fulham's season dramatically especially when the team has such a solid defensive unit.

"I think we have done fine, I think that we have underachieved in some games when we have not been able to convert draws into wins and that is what has held us back."

"Scoring is our problem and that is obvious to everybody."

"Defensively we are decent, I don't think there a lot of teams that have got a record like ours but we have not scored enough goals and we haven't been in enough situations to score goals."

One man who is in goal-scoring form is Tottenham winger Gareth Bale and it comes as no surprise to Hughes to see his fellow Welshman playing so well.

"Everyone was aware of the talent that he had as a youngster but he is not a kid anymore. Now he has filled out and is a strong man and you see that in his play and you can see him taking his career on to the next level," Hughes said.

Fulham have no new injury changes but goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer will be playing his last game before leaving for the Asian Cup with Australia, for what could be a month-long absence.

WhiteJC

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/hughes-heaps-praise-as-deputy-steps-up-1141168.html?

Hughes heaps praise as deputy steps up

Mark Hughes believes David Stockdale can do more than just keep Mark Schwarzer's gloves warm during the next month.

The Fulham manager is backing the 25-year-old keeper to rekindle his international prospects while he steps in for the Australian star in January.

Schwarzer is away with his country for the duration of the Asia Cup and Hughes is not banking on him returning early, but belives that Stockdale can cope.

Hughes said: "David got near to an England squad and probably would have been in - and we've got to hope he makes a similar impression.

"He did really well when he came in at the beginning of the season - and there's no reason why he can't do the same.

"Ideally for us, it would be good if Australia got knocked in the group stages of the Asia Cup - but that's not going to happen looking at their group."

Australia are in a group with South Korea, India and Bahrain.

WhiteJC

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_6623594,00.html?

FULHAM BOSS HUGHES STAYS POSITIVE

Barclays Prem Relegation 10/11 Relegation: Fulham 11/4
Mark Hughes is convinced that he can silence his critics by dragging Fulham up the Barclays Premier League table in 2011.

The Welshman has found life tough at Fulham since his appointment and his side will start the new year in the relegation zone after winning just three of their opening 19 league games so far.

The picture at Craven Cottage could not have been more different 12 months ago when, under Roy Hodgson, the west Londoners were ninth in the league and had just qualified for the knockout stages of the Europa League.

Despite last week's 2-0 win at Stoke, Fulham remain serious relegation candidates but under-pressure Hughes is sure that the Cottagers will have a better second half of the season - and his managerial record suggests that he may well be right.

Throughout his five seasons in club management, Hughes' sides have always won more matches in the second half of the season than the first.

That, Hughes insists, means Fulham stand a good chance of climbing the division next year.

"We are obviously frustrated because of the situation we find ourselves in at the moment, but the second half is likely to give us more enjoyment and success than the first half," Hughes said.

"The frustration we felt in the first half will disappear, we'll get players back and we'll kick on in the second half of the season because invariably teams that are managed by me are stronger in the second half of the season.

"We are more than capable of really kicking on next year."

Fulham's problems this year have stemmed from a lack of goals. Unable to call upon the help of last year's top scorer Bobby Zamora for most of this season, the Cottagers have the third worst scoring record in the league having only found the net only 19 times.

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2010/12/jingle-bells-jingle-bells/?

Jingle bells, jingle bells....
by TOR on DECEMBER 30, 2010

Stoke. It's one of those fabled places in footballing lore. It's not a particularly pleasant place to go at the best of times, but on a cold, damp, foggy December day there were plenty of other things I'd much rather have done. I made the trip up back in September for the League Cup game, which considering the scoreline and the injury to Moussa Dembélé, wasn't one of the highlights of 2010 so I was loathe to return anyway, but following the quite frankly disastrous attempt to get to Liverpool on the 18th (and spending a total of 17 ½ hours on the coach – longer than it took to get to Hamburg in May) I was in a small state of flux. Do I... Don't I...?

I did. Accompanied by Gatesy and his homemade brownies, I made it up there with no huge dramas other than a lack of coffee. The Britannia Stadium always strikes me as a reasonably sensible stadium. It's a decent layout and I've been lucky enough to get decent seats whenever I go meaning I get a good view of the match which, as a short person, is always a bonus, plus they sell Mini Oreos. Top marks there. Nil points for the tea though, apparently.

I rarely check the starting line-up on the internets, preferring to watch the warm-up and play Guess Who. It's much more entertaining, especially with the cold weather and the extra layers. Kagisho Dikgacoi clearly isn't a fan of the English winters. It looked at those Etuhu was going to start which, if I'm honest, came as a bit of a surprise after his little whoopsy against West Ham and Sparky's no-nonsense attitude to dropping players if they mess up. But what's this? Chris Baird starting? At left back in place of Carlos Salcido? Crikey, we really do need to find some decent cover for that position don't we? Oh well, it's Stoke, it's away from home, what do we really expect to take away from here? (Nothing bad about Bairdy, incidentally, I think he's excellent but I do worry about players playing out of position)

A quarter of a tub of Mini Oreos later, the game kicks off. Then, all of a sudden, up the other end of the pitch, Baird strikes. There was a slight pause as the travelling fans stood up to work out whether or not the ball had gone in the net and then, all of sudden, a roar of realisation. We were leading after 4 minutes. That'll never last, everyone thought. Then five minutes later, the referee awarded a free kick to Fulham just outside the area. Baird shoots, he scores. What a blinder. And we were leading by two goals. Away from home.

The next 35 minutes passed in a bit of a blur. The Stoke fans were baying for Murphy's blood, there was clearly a lot of passion on the pitch and the referee made some interesting decisions. Half time came and went with no confirmation of any other half-time scores, and a slight mix-up on the music for the dance troupe waiting patiently in front of the dugouts. The second half was more of the same, only foggier. On more than one occasion I turned to Gatesy and told him I'd never go to Stoke again, such was the moaning and the booing from the fans. The Fulham faithful repeatedly craned their necks to check the time on the screen to the right of the stand. 30 minutes left.... 25 minutes left... The tension was unbearable and there were times I actually couldn't watch what was happening on the pitch.

Then, with 85 minutes on the clock, the travelling fans start making their way to the front of the stands singing Christmas songs.... Oh no, hang on, the words are different. "Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way.... oh what fun it is to see Fulham win away". Shirts come off and there was the most brilliant party atmosphere. In our end anyway – the other stands were emptying rapidly. The Fourth Official indicates a minimum of four – FOUR! – added minutes. That can't be good, I thought, refusing to get too caught up in the festival in front of me. Then finally the ref blows his whistle. Relief. And we'd won. For the first time in 27 games, we'd scored 3 points away from home. What's more, the goals were brilliant and we damn well deserved it.

There are times, mostly when I look at my frankly terrifying purchase history on fulhamfc.com, when I question why I follow Fulham away given our record. Then there are times such as on Tuesday when it all makes perfect sense.

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6625492,00.html?

Hughes upbeat for New Year
Fulham boss looking forward to trip to Tottenham

Mark Hughes is confident Fulham will enjoy a more positive second half to the season and is not worrying about the threat of relegation.

Fulham have struggled during the first half of the campaign and sit in the drop zone after winning just three of their opening 19 Premier League games.

Tuesday's 2-0 success at Stoke City was a first away from home in the league since August 2009 and helped to lift some of the pressure on Hughes' shoulders.

Hughes, who replaced Roy Hodgson as manager in the summer, acknowledged the frustration of his opening months in charge, but is feeling upbeat heading into the New Year.

Frustrated

"We are obviously frustrated because of the situation we find ourselves in at the moment, but the second half is likely to give us more enjoyment and success than the first half," said Hughes.

"The frustration we felt in the first half will disappear, we'll get players back and we'll kick on in the second half of the season because invariably teams that are managed by me are stronger in the second half of the season.

"We are more than capable of really kicking on next year."

Fulham face a London derby at title-chasing Tottenham Hotspur on New Year's Day and Hughes wants his team to repeat the performance put in at Stoke.

He added: "The win over Stoke lifted the sense of frustration that we were feeling.

"It was a great team performance and there were some huge individual performances.

"We showed strength of mind to see the game out and we have to replicate that against Tottenham.

"It won't be easy because they are absolutely flying at the moment but the performance against Stoke was exactly what I was looking for in terms of attitude and application and if we repeat that then we can make it difficult to overcome any team."