Started by finnster01, December 31, 2010, 12:56:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finnster01

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

RidgeRider

Quote from: finnster01 on December 31, 2010, 12:56:19 AM
What is up with that?  :tom:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12090365

Ok, what is an OBE, MBE and CBE? I am guessing B stands for 'British' and E stands for maybe 'Empire' but being ignorant Yank and I don't know what these are other than they seem to me for doing something good or doing something well.

HatterDon

and Mr. Finn continues his hate-hate relationship with referees.

:tom: I'll tell you  :tom: . He was recognized as the top referee in the world by FIFA -- that's how ya get the World Cup Final. And, yes, he had some strange calls in that venue, but he still performed better than any other Brit in South Africa. Well done, that man.

and get to the gym, will you Howie? Your upper body looks like crap!  :down_under:
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

ImperialWhite

Quote from: RidgeRider on December 31, 2010, 01:35:42 AM

Ok, what is an OBE, MBE and CBE? I am guessing B stands for 'British' and E stands for maybe 'Empire' but being ignorant Yank and I don't know what these are other than they seem to me for doing something good or doing something well.

They're all subsets of the British honours system - Order of the British Empire.
O = Order of the British Empire
M = Member (of the Order of...)
C = Commander (of the Order of...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_British_Empire

HD - I agree. And that final was a nightmare game to referee. Don't know about red cards, he should have made a citizens arrest on some those Dutch players for GBH.

finnster01

Quote from: ImperialWhite on December 31, 2010, 01:56:40 AM
Quote from: RidgeRider on December 31, 2010, 01:35:42 AM

They're all subsets of the British honours system - Order of the British Empire.
O = Order of the British Empire
M = Member (of the Order of...)
C = Commander (of the Order of...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_British_Empire

HD - I agree. And that final was a nightmare game to referee. Don't know about red cards, he should have made a citizens arrest on some those Dutch players for GBH.
Howard Webb is still the largest Big4 arse licker outside of Mike Riley
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Lighthouse

I am not sure doing your job properly deserves an honour. Singers, Actors and Sportsman are paid very well. So what is the point of the honour system.

Although Sir Lighthouse does have a certain je nes se qua

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

CorkedHat

When the revolution comes we'll rid the country of these anachronistic, meaningless pieces of anti-egalitarian tripe and no longer will people be allowed to wander about the planet with letters after their name simply for running a post office in Chudleigh or riding a cycle backwards from one side of Offa's Dyke to the other.
The only people who merit recognition in any way are our servicemen and women who go beyond the call of duty fighting for their fellow men. The rest of us do it because we enjoy it and that should be reward enough.
:019:
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

epsomraver

Quote from: CorkedHat on December 31, 2010, 04:20:02 AM
When the revolution comes we'll rid the country of these anachronistic, meaningless pieces of anti-egalitarian tripe and no longer will people be allowed to wander about the planet with letters after their name simply for running a post office in Chudleigh or riding a cycle backwards from one side of Offa's Dyke to the other.
The only people who merit recognition in any way are our servicemen and women who go beyond the call of duty fighting for their fellow men. The rest of us do it because we enjoy it and that should be reward enough.
Up the revolution John!

CorkedHat

Quote from: epsomraver on December 31, 2010, 10:19:43 AM
Up the revolution John!

You can take the boy out of Battersea, Dave, but you can't take the Battersea out of the boy  :048:

FC Silver Fox

Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

alfie

Quote from: CorkedHat on December 31, 2010, 10:53:59 AM

We know there are/were thousands like my dad treated like crap and dumped.
Up the revolution John!

You can take the boy out of Battersea, Dave, but you can't take the Battersea out of the boy  :048:

Oh yes CH.   i am so with you on this
My dad was a prime example, he worked 6 days a week 10 hours a day for a pittance, then on Sundays he done a few hours in a care home.
of course there came a time when he was no longer needed and was thrown out of his job, he died with nothing after giving everything, there is no honour in kicking a ball around or singing a song.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

CorkedHat

Quote from: FC Silver Fox on December 31, 2010, 11:12:00 AM
My Brown Envelope   ?

Talking of which, FC – a few years ago a friend of mine ploughed a fortune into the State Government in order to be granted a knighthood.
What he actually did to deserve a gong, I know not, except he was a great benefactor to the then Premier of the State and his party.
Eventually he was advised that if he wished to accept the honour he would be knighted in the New Year's honours list. He had his business cards made up accordingly.
Alas for him the Government lost power before it could be executed and the first thing that the Labor Government did was to abolish the Imperial honours list.
Although we have a form of honours we no longer have "Sirs" or "Dames" unless they were knighted before they were abolished.
So he donated an inordinate amount of money for nothing.  :clap_hands:

CorkedHat

Quote from: alfie on December 31, 2010, 11:16:28 AM
Quote from: CorkedHat on December 31, 2010, 10:53:59 AM

We know there are/were thousands like my dad treated like crap and dumped.
Up the revolution John!

Oh yes CH.   i am so with you on this
My dad was a prime example, he worked 6 days a week 10 hours a day for a pittance, then on Sundays he done a few hours in a care home.
of course there came a time when he was no longer needed and was thrown out of his job, he died with nothing after giving everything, there is no honour in kicking a ball around or singing a song.

Your Dad was in the wrong job, Alfie.
He should have been the Bridge Master on Tower Bridge, sitting on his arse for eight hours a day, five days a week, and opening the Bridge about once a week at the most.
For this arduous and most difficult task he is awarded an MBE. It is risible.
I happen to think, incidentally, that Annie Lennox is one of the most gifted singers I have heard (I used one of her songs in a novel that I wrote) but if she is receiving a gong for her charity work then she should be happy to be doing the work without recognition. The appreciation of people for whom she is working should be sufficient reward

HatterDon

so, I was going to ask who else got honored, but evidently I've wandered on to the Daily Worker website by mistake!  :dft012:

Oops! Jack that wasn't political; it was a joke. Okay, it WAS a little political and it wasn't funny, but ... oh, what the hell  :doh: :yellow:
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

duffbeer

Webb is at least a police officer so he serves his community and manages to do something very well on the side.  I blame the World Cup final on the Dutch team for deciding to bring their beautiful kung fu attacking style of play to the pitch.  Webb was just trying to prevent the single most important match in football from being ruined by a 9 man Dutch side vs. a full Spanish side.  It wouldnt have been a match.  No doubt the Dutch new how Webb would react too.