watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Barnsley

Started by arnieb, March 08, 2022, 01:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arnieb

Going to Barnsley for long weekend,Friday-Monday and obviously going to the game.Can anyone recommend a few decent,interesting places to visit? We're going by train so need to be reasonably close to Barnsley central.Thanks.

blingo

The market has the best black pudding ever

arnieb

Yeah,decent market.Did go first game of 2019/20 when we lost 1-0 but only stayed overnight.

Southdowns White

I've been a couple of times, If you're into your brass bands then your in luck, The Grimethorpe Colliery band are from nearby, Barnsley has absolutely nothing else to offer apart from watery brown ale.

cookieg

Where is a good place to park in Barnsley?

ianthailand

Quote from: cookieg on March 08, 2022, 01:45:05 PM
In front of our goal?

cookieg

Quote from: ianthailand on March 08, 2022, 01:53:21 PM
In front of our goal?

Just as well I'm driving my bus.

LittleErn

Almost next door to the ground there is a sports centre (The Metrodome) with a large car park. I haven't been for a couple of years because of Covid rules but when I last visited it was free but that might have changed. No doubt it will get full on match days as the Metrodome also houses a bowling alley, swimming pool, and a decent cafe!

Also: Between Oakwell Stadium and the Metrodome is a car park for
visiting supporters, called the Queens Ground, which costs £5
for Cars and £20 for Coaches. This is just a couple of minutes
walk from the stadium. SATNAV: S71 1AN

On street parking is possible but there are some very keen parking wardens!

https://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/siteassets/image/2018-19-season/misc/visitors-guide.pdf is worth a look. You'll need to copy and paste into a browser.

mrmicawbers

Hope you're taking the missus if not beware the Barnsley Beast.

cookieg

Quote from: LittleErn on March 08, 2022, 04:33:26 PM

Almost next door to the ground there is a sports centre (The Metrodome) with a large car park. I haven't been for a couple of years because of Covid rules but when I last visited it was free but that might have changed. No doubt it will get full on match days as the Metrodome also houses a bowling alley, swimming pool, and a decent cafe!

Also: Between Oakwell Stadium and the Metrodome is a car park for
visiting supporters, called the Queens Ground, which costs £5
for Cars and £20 for Coaches. This is just a couple of minutes
walk from the stadium. SATNAV: S71 1AN

On street parking is possible but there are some very keen parking wardens!

https://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/siteassets/image/2018-19-season/misc/visitors-guide.pdf is worth a look. You'll need to copy and paste into a browser.

Thank you

Terry Towling

https://www.geevesbrewery.co.uk/

Thats where I would be heading - or any taproom they might have.

Nero

If you're taking kids Cannon Hall Farm, if you've got National Trust Wentworth House Gardens what are you wanting to do?

filham

Keep an eye open for Michael Parkinson I believe he is is a great Barnsley fan. However he now lives on the Thames near Maidenhead and I guess it is more likely he will  decide to come to the Cottage when we are at home to Barnsley by boat using the new pier.

sunburywhite

They do good chops up there
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

arnieb

Thanks Terry,looks good.Gonna give The Old Number 7 a try as we're staying at the Central Premier Inn so apparently is quite close.
Nero,we'll probably try and get to the Hepworth gallery which is apparently 36mins by train.Went to the Yorkshire Sculpture Park before which is amazing.
Thanks both.

ffcne

Im goIng down on the train from NE,
Last time i was there in 1982  we were 3-0 
in about 20 mins and lost 4-3.The season we just missed out on promotion to old
first division.Anyone else there that day ?.

Canon Hill Farm but think you have to book.