watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Silvaball vs Parkerball

Started by humussapiens, March 10, 2022, 09:56:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radiowhite

Bournemouth have a great squad and Parker still has them playing regressive football

filham

To see the difference between Parker Ball and Silver Ball compare the goals scored last season and this season.

Forever Fulham

More goals are usually scored during moments of chaos meeting opportunity, the antithesis of Scotty P's slow buildup style.  For all he gets trashed this season, his team his still a strong contender for promotion at this moment.  So, he's doing something right, whatever it is.  But i agree with the poster above about possession for possession's sake.  Only works if at all when you are sitting on a fat lead.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Another great thread and opinions
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

clarkey

It's massive the differences in performance this year. Parker was extremely limited in tactics (those ridiculous under rehearsed corners were laughable and we had absolutely no clever dead ball tactics except in the play off) but also in attitude. He did not instill confidence or attacking flair. He allowed games to meander into stasis and all too often nullified the advantage our squad had in skill levels by playing slowly and without any threat. He got rid of the risk, which got rid of the threat. He did not like Cairney or Mitro...which is crazy.

In short he was inexperienced, arrogant and selected the wrong team virtually every game. Cavaleiro was the personification of this, chosen as lone striker over Mitro....just mad.

I wanted Eddie Howe brought in last year and he clearly would have been great, look at how good he has been for Newcastle but Silva is excellent.His biggest test lies ahead though.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Forever Fulham on March 11, 2022, 01:28:27 AM
More goals are usually scored during moments of chaos meeting opportunity, the antithesis of Scotty P's slow buildup style.  For all he gets trashed this season, his team his still a strong contender for promotion at this moment.  So, he's doing something right, whatever it is.  But i agree with the poster above about possession for possession's sake.  Only works if at all when you are sitting on a fat lead.

I believe what Parker mainly have had comparatively good squads, which means the only thing he has clearly done right is picking good opportunities. He then sets up not to lose and prays that his superior players can produce something out of nothing. He is decent enough in organizing a defence (remember our great offside line last year for example), but he does so by giving up almost everything else. Any half decent manager could do the same.

At the very most, he's a mediocre manager, but I suspect when all is said and done he will be seen as a failure. 

Neil D

Quote from: Sting of the North on March 10, 2022, 10:07:58 AM
I believe there are huge differences. The forward runs we see now is something that was very much lacking with Parker, where we instead slowly and methodically crept forward (and then backwards because of the lack of attacking opportunities). We do have a lot of possession now, but rarely do we keep the ball just for the sake of it. We take every opportunity to attack, often very quickly, whereas under Parker the first instinct (clearly instructed) was to keep the ball safely.

The running is all different, the player in possession almost always have several options and they all seem to understand the runs of others. It is something that is difficult to achieve even with good players. Under parker the option was almost always to pass it back and recycle through the back four. Under Silva when we do that it is much quicker and always with an eye on the quick diagonal pass.

Also, Parker had mostly the same players. He could have played attacking football with one (if not the) best squads in the league, but decided not to. Just as with Bournemouth now. It's tactical.
Interesting.  I posted this on the Italian Cottagers website - duly attributed, of course!

Londonfranky

I think the difference between Parker and Silva is that Silva sets up teams to win, were as Parker sets up teams not to lose, although. we got promoted with Parker it was the most painful promotion in my 50 odd years of going, having said that if we had a decent forward last year we probably could have stayed up, for me he's just Southgate lite,

H4usuallysitting

According to the Boscombe massive, they've only recently started playing parkerball...a lot of them are saying the flair has been coached out of them

Sting of the North

Quote from: Neil D on March 11, 2022, 10:04:52 AM
Quote from: Sting of the North on March 10, 2022, 10:07:58 AM
I believe there are huge differences. The forward runs we see now is something that was very much lacking with Parker, where we instead slowly and methodically crept forward (and then backwards because of the lack of attacking opportunities). We do have a lot of possession now, but rarely do we keep the ball just for the sake of it. We take every opportunity to attack, often very quickly, whereas under Parker the first instinct (clearly instructed) was to keep the ball safely.

The running is all different, the player in possession almost always have several options and they all seem to understand the runs of others. It is something that is difficult to achieve even with good players. Under parker the option was almost always to pass it back and recycle through the back four. Under Silva when we do that it is much quicker and always with an eye on the quick diagonal pass.

Also, Parker had mostly the same players. He could have played attacking football with one (if not the) best squads in the league, but decided not to. Just as with Bournemouth now. It's tactical.
Interesting.  I posted this on the Italian Cottagers website - duly attributed, of course!

Well, thank you for the kind words.

humussapiens

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on March 11, 2022, 10:42:16 AM

According to the Boscombe massive, they've only recently started playing parkerball...a lot of them are saying the flair has been coached out of them

Makes sense, it needs time to implement the manager's philosophy. So their run the start of the season was not due to superiority of Parkerball but simply continuation or upgrade of tactics they used in previous season? Or it was a new manager bounce? I think they won first 7 matches or so, that was quite impressive run.

Looking back at Fulham, Silva needed a lot less time to implement his own philosophy. Maybe players could not wait to get rid of Parkerball.