watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

SURELY

Started by perry geyton, April 07, 2022, 03:07:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LC

Tim has done well for us and been a good professional. He's not good enough for the PL, I think he'll leave for the MLS this summer and finish out his career there- i think that would be the right call

toshes mate

Quote from: blingo on April 08, 2022, 04:23:14 AM
It's not a case of not liking the man as a player as much as he comes up well short in the top division. He is simply not good enough at that level. Keep him and Cairney in the team if you want to come straight back down. Piri don't be bli ded by man love. The idea is to stay up.
Well, Mr Blingo, I'd admit to being blinded by the bleedin' obvious quite a few times in my life and by love more than once or twice.  But Fulham football players across the ages have been a case of if they are good and play for FFC what is not to like? 

I still remember as a comparative youngster not understanding why Malcolm Macdonald was shunted off elsewhere when he looked a really bright prospect as a centre forward after playing one game there.  Likewise the wonderful Rodney Marsh who I first saw as a youth player and couldn't believe my eyes but off he went because you couldn't have more than one maestro.  Both those moves appeared to be down to Club politics something I didn't actually understand then or now. 

The politics at the Club have been far from satisfactory in the Khan era but now show signs of coming together - good coaching regime and a wiser owner outlook.  Perhaps it has come a little late to give Tim Ream a deserved chance in the PL and I am not fussed about how it comes about how it comes about, but he is too good a player to dismiss out of hand.  Much depends on who is signed up for next season's assault and that still depends upon automatic promotion via top spot something we haven't achieved as a Club for a long time.  Our record alone this season should suggest we have some quality players in our ranks and if we buy wisely there is almost certainly room to consider all the possibilities.   

I am sure Tim will decide what is best for him because one of his best qualities has always been reading the game.

Dodgin

Malcolm MacDonald and Rodney Marsh leaving the club, never did understand that, seemed crazy at the time.

RaySmith

I seem to remember that when Ream was reintroduced to the team in the final games of our last Prem season, after being dropped for a newly acquired Andersen, he got praise for his performances in those final games, two of which were draws away at Arsenal and Man U , where we were cheated out of all 3 points.

I think someone said above that maybe Ream has benefited from the new team set up, and manager. He certainly seems in the form of his career, and it seems harsh to be pensioning him off at this moment.

Maybe he's looking forward to semi-retirement in the States, or maybe he still has ambition in the game - we don't know what he's thinking.
He will know though - that you're a long time retired, and once your top level career is over, it's over, no going back.

Tim could be looking forward to a new shot at the Prem, and may have a feeling  of 'unfinished business' after hardly featuring in or last Prem campaign.
He continues to defy expectations, anyway, but good luck to him whatever he decides.
REEEEEAAAAAAMMMM!!!!!!

Cobh Fulham Fan

I think you hit it on the head there Ray 'Unfinished Business' and as you and others have said, Tim has never been playing so well and fitted into this team.

ashteadFFC

Quote from: Jim© on April 07, 2022, 04:24:20 PM
Quote from: blingo on April 07, 2022, 03:28:56 PM
Ream is too slow for the premiership and will get turned inside out. Sorry but he simply not good enough to play in the top division.

Thiago Silva is 37 and not rapid.
Coady is of sleight build and not rapid.
Pontus Janson is very slow and 32.
Craig Dawson 31 and not rapid.
Dan Burn can't kick a ball straight and yet transferred for £15m apparently.

All I'm trying to say is speed is not a pre requisite in his position. Look at last night, he read the game perfectly and got himself in the best position nearly every time.

If he does remain in the team for next season (why would you drop your best performing defender???) then as soon as we concede goals against better finishers etc, the "i told you so" bunch will return to the very same argument.

Completely agree - yes he is not the quickest but he is reading the game incredibly well. For me it is about the whole team - it has never just about one centre back. I think if he stays he can have a big role to play (maybe on the bench doing his badges) - but his attitude and hard work are an example to the rest. If he goes to the MLS then so be it. As others have said, he is has played for the badge and will always have my thanks and admiration.

S.F.Sorrow

I must admit I had pretty much written him off but he has been amazing this season. Apart from the second half of Joka's promotion season he has never been anyhere near this level during his time at FFC. In the past he looked like a decent player when we were dominating games but a liability when were under pressure. Middlesbrough was exactly the type of game I would have expected the old Ream to have cost us the points but he was our best player.

Before this season Ream often struggled against high pressing sides and fast counter attacks but he has gotten so much better at reading the game that his lack of pace rarely seems to be a problem. His positioning and timing is excellent and he had developed a much better ability to spot danger early and make important interceptions higher up the pitch. He has also stopped trying to dribble his way out of dangerous situations when he's under pressure. I'm sure Silva's coaching is part of the picture but huge credits to Ream for proving me wrong. He took almost seven years to win me over but he has been one of our best players this season and should be one of the first names on the team sheet.

However, I still don't think he is good enough for the Premier League. Especially not in a newly promoted team. We will be under pressure in pretty much every game next season and Ream's weaknesses will be more exposed against faster, better players. He could still play a part of course. With FFP we clearly won't be able to buy two Premier League quality CBs. We have other positions that need strengthening too. I wouldn't mind having Ream in the squad for cup games and backup. I'm sure his experience and professional attitude on can be have a positive influence on other players too.

On the other hand, if he decides to leave he couldn't have asked for a better ending to his career at FFC. Whatever he does he deserves a lot of respect for his loyalty and determination. A Fulham cult hero (and I would NEVER have expected to hear myself say this).

blingo

Quote from: toshes mate on April 08, 2022, 08:54:03 AM
Quote from: blingo on April 08, 2022, 04:23:14 AM
It's not a case of not liking the man as a player as much as he comes up well short in the top division. He is simply not good enough at that level. Keep him and Cairney in the team if you want to come straight back down. Piri don't be bli ded by man love. The idea is to stay up.
Well, Mr Blingo, I'd admit to being blinded by the bleedin' obvious quite a few times in my life and by love more than once or twice.  But Fulham football players across the ages have been a case of if they are good and play for FFC what is not to like? 

I still remember as a comparative youngster not understanding why Malcolm Macdonald was shunted off elsewhere when he looked a really bright prospect as a centre forward after playing one game there.  Likewise the wonderful Rodney Marsh who I first saw as a youth player and couldn't believe my eyes but off he went because you couldn't have more than one maestro.  Both those moves appeared to be down to Club politics something I didn't actually understand then or now. 

The politics at the Club have been far from satisfactory in the Khan era but now show signs of coming together - good coaching regime and a wiser owner outlook.  Perhaps it has come a little late to give Tim Ream a deserved chance in the PL and I am not fussed about how it comes about how it comes about, but he is too good a player to dismiss out of hand.  Much depends on who is signed up for next season's assault and that still depends upon automatic promotion via top spot something we haven't achieved as a Club for a long time.  Our record alone this season should suggest we have some quality players in our ranks and if we buy wisely there is almost certainly room to consider all the possibilities.   

I am sure Tim will decide what is best for him because one of his best qualities has always been reading the game.

This isn't about politics Mr Tosh. Can you honestly tell me that Ream is good enough for next season? I can see him getting turned over for fun at that level and whilst I'm at it, I don't think that tom Cairney can cut it either. Too one footed and needs too much time and space on the ball, which he wont get.

Please don't misunderstand what I'm saying here. I'm sure they are both nice guys and sensible, my points are not political either, but are based on what we have seen from them in the top division in the past. I think that Ream would make at least one mistake per match leading to a goal scoring opportunity and that Cairney simply is too one footed. Traits that we simply cannot afford in top level matches.

clarkey

It simply does not matter if Ream is not good enough next season. His presence alone is worth him being kept on. Have him as a first team coach with Boa.We need to build some continuity and look to the Boot Room at Liverpool on how to foster that.Shankly/Paisley/Fagan/Evans worked for them.Don't need to play him, but get him on board right from the off.

Cairney is harder to argue for, his captaincy has always been patchy. Ream is a natural leader and has done wonders for Fulham.

Grassy Noel

I am sad to report that Tim Ream is bottom of Fotmob's table of goal-scoring frequency, ranking no 233 in the table, having scored once (a crucial goal at Preston) in 3441 minutes. No guesses for who is top with a goal every 85 minutes. Of course this table ignores those who have not scored at all and isn't Sam Allardyce England's greatest ever manager because he never lost a game?

Andy S

I have always been a Tim Ream fan. I think his age may go against him now but I don't think he is slow. He reads the game well and will carry that through to next season. There will always be fast wingers in the prem but Tim's position is centre half. They don't always have to be fast. I would keep Tim and look for younger players to make an impact in certain games

perry geyton

Quote from: RaySmith on April 08, 2022, 09:09:28 AM
I seem to remember that when Ream was reintroduced to the team in the final games of our last Prem season, after being dropped for a newly acquired Andersen, he got praise for his performances in those final games, two of which were draws away at Arsenal and Man U , where we were cheated out of all 3 points.

I think someone said above that maybe Ream has benefited from the new team set up, and manager. He certainly seems in the form of his career, and it seems harsh to be pensioning him off at this moment.

Maybe he's looking forward to semi-retirement in the States, or maybe he still has ambition in the game - we don't know what he's thinking.
He will know though - that you're a long time retired, and once your top level career is over, it's over, no going back.

Tim could be looking forward to a new shot at the Prem, and may have a feeling  of 'unfinished business' after hardly featuring in or last Prem campaign.
He continues to defy expectations, anyway, but good luck to him whatever he decides.
REEEEEAAAAAAMMMM!!!!!!

Right on
Definately my player of the season,