watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

On the plus side

Started by Dan in Notts, April 10, 2022, 07:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan in Notts

We still get promoted on Friday if Luton beat Forest and we win at Derby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ron

It grated on me a bit to hear the Coventry fans singing: "Top of the league? You're 'avin a laugh!".

We shouldn't be giving oppositions a chance to chant that.

Whitestone

Quote from: ron on April 10, 2022, 08:02:53 PM
It grated on me a bit to hear the Coventry fans singing: "Top of the league? You're 'avin a laugh!".

They were also singing "Premier League you're 'avin in a laugh". We should have sang back "Premier League you've got no chance "  :012:

filham

A win against Derby would be great, but who is going to think that Derby away is any easier than Coventry at home.

SP

Their fans had a perfect afternoon, probably a trip to the Cottage & winning will be one of the highlights of their season.

One small gripe, they sang more anti-FFC songs than they did songs about their own team, strange.

Blawarmy

Quote from: SP on April 10, 2022, 08:51:40 PM

Their fans had a perfect afternoon, probably a trip to the Cottage & winning will be one of the highlights of their season.

One small gripe, they sang more anti-FFC songs than they did songs about their own team, strange.
Hopefully we won't play them for many years. Theyre a bogey team. Make no mistake. 

Black and White Town

Less than 2 minutes from kick off to "Your support is f'ing sh1t"

I think that's a record.
OK, we get it, we don't sing a lot. So what? No one ever got promoted due to the quality of the fan's singing.

SP

Quote from: Black and White Town on April 10, 2022, 10:02:02 PM
Less than 2 minutes from kick off to "Your support is f'ing sh1t"

That net curtain that devides the home & away support really does seem to bring the worst out in people.

Dan in Notts

Quote from: filham on April 10, 2022, 08:45:55 PM
A win against Derby would be great, but who is going to think that Derby away is any easier than Coventry at home.
Agree, it won't be any easier, but even though we had a rubbish day today, we're still the best team in the league, so we've got a good chance.

Woolly Mammoth

It just goes to show how unpredictable football can be especially in the English Leagues.
That is because no team will lay down and allow their tummy to be tickled.
It is very competitive and it is in our culture to play with pride no matter what the occasion.
That what makes English Football competitive and good theatre for the real football fans, thats what makes our football as a spectacle second to none.

So we have to learn from every match we play, including defeats and the manager and coaches will no doubt take a close analogy of what went wrong, and every player must ask himself could i have done better.
Players will have good and mediocre and games they want to forget, but collectively they are responsible for allowing Coventry to turn us over, and i am not taking anything away from Coventry.
Some will look at the stats, but that is the last place to look, just look at today's individual performances with your own eyes.
We all learn far more and far more swiftly.
The worse thing we can do is beat ourselves up about it, that just magnifys the problem as does dissecting every mistake and error.
Let the manager and coaches do that because the buck ends with the manager even though players can be responsible, a manager cannot afford to leave his future with the players performances, because if he does he will eventually lose his job.

Therefore we have to move on the next game which is not that far away, we must cheer up.
Let us face it, we are not as good as some think we are, and we are not as bad as others think we are.
But we were bad today by our standards, it will lower expectations which not a bad thing.

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Dan in Notts

Nicely put, Woolly Mammoth - that pretty much captures it for me.

Twig

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 10, 2022, 10:26:53 PM
It just goes to show how unpredictable football can be especially in the English Leagues.
It is very competitive and it is in our culture to play with pride no matter what the occasion.
That what makes English Football competitive and good theatre for the real football fans, thats what makes our football as a spectacle second to none.

So we have to learn from every match we play, including defeats and the manager and coaches will no doubt take a close analogy of what went wrong, and every player must ask himself could i have done better.
Players will have good and mediocre and games they want to forget, but collectively they are responsible for allowing Coventry to turn us over, and i am not taking anything away from Coventry.
Some will look at the stats, but that is the last place to look, just look at today's individual performances with your own eyes.
The worse thing we can do is beat ourselves up about it, that just magnifys the problem as does dissecting every mistake and error.
Let the manager and coaches do that because the buck ends with the manager even though players can be responsible, a manager cannot afford to leave his future with the players performances, because if he does he will eventually lose his job.

Therefore we have to move on the next game which is not that far away, we must cheer up.
Let us face it, we are not as good as some think we are, and we are not as bad as others think we are.
But we were bad today by our standards, it will lower expectations which not a bad thing.

Everyone haS to learn including Silva. However I am becoming a bit worried that in the case of Chalobah vs Seri our manager is proving to be a bit pig headed.  I think it's clear to all of us that the Reed & Chalobah combo offers nothing but he keeps trying it.  Please Marco don't do a Tigana or a Parker on us.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Twig on April 10, 2022, 11:42:37 PM

Everyone haS to learn including Silva. However I am becoming a bit worried that in the case of Chalobah vs Seri our manager is proving to be a bit pig headed.  I think it's clear to all of us that the Reed & Chalobah combo offers nothing but he keeps trying it.  Please Marco don't do a Tigana or a Parker on us.

Yes we have to have either Cairney or Siri next to Reed and let Reed do what he is good at which is destroying attacks by being busy and tenacious.
The creativity is missing when there is no Cairney or Seri.
Chalobah is not the answer especially in home games without the creativity of other players.
He can do a job at certain times, but his selection today was an error judgement by Silva, and there lies the achilles heal.
Tigana was very stubborn and it cost him and Parker fell into the same trap.
It's as though managers have a blind spot with certain players that only they can explain.
Therefore Silva cannot afford to make the same mistake again.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 11, 2022, 12:19:40 AM
Quote from: Twig on April 10, 2022, 11:42:37 PM

Yes we have to have either Cairney or Siri next to Reed and let Reed do what he is good at which is destroying attacks by being busy and tenacious.
The creativity is missing when there is no Cairney or Seri.
Chalobah is not the answer especially in home games without the creativity of other players.
He can do a job at certain times, but his selection today was an error judgement by Silva, and there lies the achilles heal.
Tigana was very stubborn and it cost him and Parker fell into the same trap.
It's as though managers have a blind spot with certain players that only they can explain.
Therefore Silva cannot afford to make the same mistake again.

Marco Silva obviously likes what he sees with Chalobah, but I don't like what I see with Chalobah. Who is correct?

Well, Silva is an expert but Chalobah's statistics strongly agree with my viewpoint, because with only 29 touches of the ball, zero clearances, one header, one tackle, zero dribbles and zero shots he just isn't making enough impact on the game.

RaySmith

But if managers dropped players after a bad game or two, then they might be accused of not giving them a chance to prove themselves.

But managers do have favourites, I suppose, players they believe in, and keep giving a chance to, even if they performances lead to criticism of his selection.
Just reading Paul Merson's autobiographical 'Hooked,' and he says George Graham believed in him and gave him a chance, even when he wasn't that good at first. This was a manager who sold many 'stars' on taking over - like Rix and Charlie Nicholas, whom he accused of 'playing for their pension.'

Was Cairney fully fit anyway?
But agree we lacked creativity - TC's ability to look up, find a telling pass - our passing and crossing looked a bit all over the place, and often seemed rushed, compared to Coventry, who were so clinical in attack, and seemed to know exactly what they were doing.

We we were on the back foot right from the start, with only Ream offering some composure - could Cairney's experience and quality have added to that composure, and ability to take control of the game?