more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Crowd

Started by Peabody, April 11, 2022, 10:07:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALG01

Quote from: Samjack on April 11, 2022, 12:10:46 PM
The atmosphere at home has been poor this season. IMO there are a few things we can do to improve it...

1. Get rid of clappers. They make people lazy and drown out chants.
2. Cheaper tickets for 16-25 year olds. They are the main generators of noise and we are lacking numbers in that group.
3. Encourage the back of the Hammersmith end to come further down the stand to be nearer the pitch (perhaps link this to the point above and sell tickets to that group at a cheaper price around the green pole.)
4. Play more music on the tannoy before the game and at half time. Especially songs connected to fulham. Gets people going a bit more.
5. Bring in safe standing in the Hammersmith end/ part of the Hammersmith end and the enclosure. People standing creates more atmosphere.
6. Collectively recognise it is a bit crap at the moment and make sure we try and improve it next home game.

Everyone can in football agrees that a partisan crowd improves performance on the pitch so it is worth trying to change things.

I  do not really agree with the majority of this
In the first place, since covid I have detected a very changed atmosphere everywhere including football, and that is a generality.
Regfarding the coventry game. The game was overhyped with much triumphalism and a sort of given we would be promoted...except forest put pay to that and of course our team failed to properly compete for a variety of reasons.
taking each numbered point
1. clackers. this is boring to blame clackers that people love and helped create electric atmospheres in the great escape and the road to europe. people that complain about clackers are much of the problem.
2. cheaper seats for everybody would be nice. 16 to 25 years olds do not make an atmosphere, at the away games I have attended, they have become a menace.
3. leave the back of the hammy end where it is. these people want to stand and dance and sing, the people below do not. if you put people that are standing in front of those sitting you spoil it for the majority that want to be seated.
4. music on tannoy. i am finding this hard to understand. less and quieter music would be better because it is currently so loud that the crowd is drowned out. this proposition is absurd. wembley 1996 saw england fans reclainm football for a short while, they didn't need coordinating it was spontaneous. this idea of yours is totakly wrong.
5. safe standing. people want it so let them have even though I am not really in favour unless it means the rest of stadium remains seated. standing doesn.t create an atmosphere that much is chattering class folklore. the best games and most atmospheres i can recollect were all when seated, and that meant everyone could see and see safely
6 the atmoshere is not electric at the mpoment partly because of a three sided ground and partly because the team has been underperforming for quite a few weeks.

However if we do beat derby, i suspect the cottage will be all you and I will desire when preston arrive!

ffcne

Quote from: Donnie Lonegan on April 11, 2022, 11:36:48 AM
I don't care any more, I'm 63 and at that age you just go to sit and watch.
I did my time in the 70's and 80's with my old mate Selwyn, and in those days we had songs, some would be deemed grossly offensive today, but I'd rather hear them, than the same old boring, monotonous, "Come on Fulham, Come on Fulham" a chant that only applies when we aren't doing very well.
When opposing supporters sing to us, your support is FS, they ain't lying, and now even Marco Silva seems to be thinking the same thing.

Selwyn in his white coat.Great days

Southdowns White

The atmosphere at home has been poor this season. IMO there are a few things we can do to improve it...

2. Cheaper tickets for 16-25 year olds. They are the main generators of noise and we are lacking numbers in that group.
3. Encourage the back of the Hammersmith end to come further down the stand to be nearer the pitch (perhaps link this to the point above and sell tickets to that group at a cheaper price around the green pole.)
4. Play more music on the tannoy before the game and at half time. Especially songs connected to fulham. Gets people going a bit more.
5. Bring in safe standing in the Hammersmith end/ part of the Hammersmith end and the enclosure. People standing creates more atmosphere.
6. Collectively recognise it is a bit crap at the moment and make sure we try and improve it next home game.

Everyone can in football agrees that a partisan crowd improves performance on the pitch so it is worth trying to change things.
I have been going since 1975, I would cut the ridiculously loud music before and at half time, in the good old days supporters would build their own atmosphere, go to an important game and the crowd were singing well before the game kicked off. Supporters now struggle to have a basic conversation with those around them as the noise drowns out everything else, as soon as the music stops the atmosphere is dead. Called me old fashioned, but the people who come to the same decision across the country to drown out supporters, quite simply do not have a clue, they have no heritage of team support. The same playing of loud out of context music can now be found across all sports in many countries. One reason my group of friends never meet at the ground and have a beer, is that we like to have a chat, discuss life and the football. Cut the music to background level and the atmosphere will return. If I want to listen to music I go to a gig, concert or play music at home or work.

Samjack

Quote from: ALG01 on April 11, 2022, 05:23:48 PM

In the first place, since covid I have detected a very changed atmosphere everywhere including football, and that is a generality.
Regfarding the coventry game. The game was overhyped with much triumphalism and a sort of given we would be promoted...except forest put pay to that and of course our team failed to properly compete for a variety of reasons.
1. clackers. this is boring to blame clackers that people love and helped create electric atmospheres in the great escape and the road to europe. people that complain about clackers are much of the problem.
2. cheaper seats for everybody would be nice. 16 to 25 years olds do not make an atmosphere, at the away games I have attended, they have become a menace.
3. leave the back of the hammy end where it is. these people want to stand and dance and sing, the people below do not. if you put people that are standing in front of those sitting you spoil it for the majority that want to be seated.
4. music on tannoy. i am finding this hard to understand. less and quieter music would be better because it is currently so loud that the crowd is drowned out. this proposition is absurd. wembley 1996 saw england fans reclainm football for a short while, they didn't need coordinating it was spontaneous. this idea of yours is totakly wrong.
5. safe standing. people want it so let them have even though I am not really in favour unless it means the rest of stadium remains seated. standing doesn.t create an atmosphere that much is chattering class folklore. the best games and most atmospheres i can recollect were all when seated, and that meant everyone could see and see safely
6 the atmoshere is not electric at the mpoment partly because of a three sided ground and partly because the team has been underperforming for quite a few weeks.

However if we do beat derby, i suspect the cottage will be all you and I will desire when preston arrive!

Not sure any of your criticisms make much sense to me mate. In turn...

1. Clackers didn't create the atmosphere in those seasons. The football did. If you get to a European final, the atmosphere will be good whether you got clackers or not. And people moaning about clackers on a football forum makes no difference to noise in the ground.

2. At away and home games at every club this is the group that creates most noise. You can't honestly be claiming that 60+ year olds for example create the same atmosphere. That's mental. 16 - 25/30 is also the group with least money... Most people have got more expendable cash as they get older.

3. We're going to have a capacity of 29k. There will be more than enough seats to sit and watch the game with an uninterrupted view.

4. You totally misunderstood. I'm not talking about during the game. That is not allowed. I'm talking about putting on a few tunes before the game and during half time rather than the chat they do now. Which no one listens to anyway.

5. You can't honestly believe that people sitting make the same noise as those standing. That is not chattering class folklore. That is just using your eyes. Where does the noise come from at the cottage?... From the people standing up.

6. The three sided ground might be making a difference, I'll give you that. But the team has been underperforming?!! Crazy talk. We're running away with the league and breaking scoring records! The atmosphere should be much better this season seeing as the team is doing so well.

I hope you're right about the Preston game but I still reckon all my suggestions above would improve things.

Samjack

Quote from: Southdowns White on April 11, 2022, 06:13:42 PM

I have been going since 1975, I would cut the ridiculously loud music before and at half time, in the good old days supporters would build their own atmosphere, go to an important game and the crowd were singing well before the game kicked off. Supporters now struggle to have a basic conversation with those around them as the noise drowns out everything else, as soon as the music stops the atmosphere is dead. Called me old fashioned, but the people who come to the same decision across the country to drown out supporters, quite simply do not have a clue, they have no heritage of team support. The same playing of loud out of context music can now be found across all sports in many countries. One reason my group of friends never meet at the ground and have a beer, is that we like to have a chat, discuss life and the football. Cut the music to background level and the atmosphere will return. If I want to listen to music I go to a gig, concert or play music at home or work.

Yeah, I don't totally disagree mate. Music is the idea I listed that I am least wedded to as I don't really like top-down directed atmosphere and agree with most of what you say. I just feel the atmosphere in the ground has been poor all season (apart from maybe Bournemouth) and I think the crowd and atmosphere is a big part of the attraction of going to football. It also massively has an impact on performances on the pitch. And the fact that Silva has now mentioned it was very flat is a reason to address it and look for ways to improve it.

Luka

We would be twice as loud if we could just all sing in unison and the same song for a change.Don't know why we find it so hard.
Also, if you are anything like me then you'll find the old MAF songs completely irrelevant now so don't join in.

That said, the club seems to have an issue attracting youngsters into the ground. Looking around the place I wouldn't be suprised if the average age isn't in the early 50's.

ALG01

Quote from: Samjack on April 11, 2022, 06:34:01 PM

1. Clackers didn't create the atmosphere in those seasons. The football did. If you get to a European final, the atmosphere will be good whether you got clackers or not. And people moaning about clackers on a football forum makes no difference to noise in the ground.

2. At away and home games at every club this is the group that creates most noise. You can't honestly be claiming that 60+ year olds for example create the same atmosphere. That's mental. 16 - 25/30 is also the group with least money... Most people have got more expendable cash as they get older.

3. We're going to have a capacity of 29k. There will be more than enough seats to sit and watch the game with an uninterrupted view.

4. You totally misunderstood. I'm not talking about during the game. That is not allowed. I'm talking about putting on a few tunes before the game and during half time rather than the chat they do now. Which no one listens to anyway.

5. You can't honestly believe that people sitting make the same noise as those standing. That is not chattering class folklore. That is just using your eyes. Where does the noise come from at the cottage?... From the people standing up.

6. The three sided ground might be making a difference, I'll give you that. But the team has been underperforming?!! Crazy talk. We're running away with the league and breaking scoring records! The atmosphere should be much better this season seeing as the team is doing so well.

I hope you're right about the Preston game but I still reckon all my suggestions above would improve things.

sorry sam of less than 100 posts. being mental is not an atmosphere it is this season bad and inconciderate behaviour, and as you say the football made the response of the crowd eelectric in the great escape and  europe but we did have clackers and it didn't stop singing or amazing atmospheres such as when we beat derby most recently in the play off at the cottage... what we need is a whole stadium wuith decent football and not an overhyped match advertised as a game we were going to get promotion.

needing to stand is for children and to be honest i think a 16 to 26   year olds idea of having a good time compared to pople that have seen it and done it and actually know how to have a good time is national league compared to premier league.

To many young people seem to want to change fulham for the worse. we are brilliant because of what we are.

you are entiled to your opinion but you should not spoil it for the majority that do not want the endless moronic coventry stle endless IQless durge

Samjack

Quote from: ALG01 on April 11, 2022, 07:21:27 PM
Quote from: Samjack on April 11, 2022, 06:34:01 PM

sorry sam of less than 100 posts. being mental is not an atmosphere it is this season bad and inconciderate behaviour, and as you say the football made the response of the crowd eelectric in the great escape and  europe but we did have clackers and it didn't stop singing or amazing atmospheres such as when we beat derby most recently in the play off at the cottage... what we need is a whole stadium wuith decent football and not an overhyped match advertised as a game we were going to get promotion.

needing to stand is for children and to be honest i think a 16 to 26   year olds idea of having a good time compared to pople that have seen it and done it and actually know how to have a good time is national league compared to premier league.

To many young people seem to want to change fulham for the worse. we are brilliant because of what we are.

you are entiled to your opinion but you should not spoil it for the majority that do not want the endless moronic coventry stle endless IQless durge

First of all, well done on your 2675 posts. It is clearly a source of pride for you.

You talk about Derby being an amazing atmosphere. It was. And everyone in the Hammersmith End stood for the entire match.

'Needing to stand is for children?' I started going to Fulham in 1986. So I stood for 16 years before we got rid of terracing. I'm now in my 40s and still prefer to watch standing up. As do many others of all age groups. Safe standing is supported by a majority of fans across the country as well as at Fulham.

So I'm not trying to spoil anything for anyone (I was wondering why you were getting so aggressive with me). You claim to be speaking for the majority but you don't. You are speak for yourself. You are just claiming to speak on behalf of the majority to make your arguments stronger. You are trying to characterize an atmosphere as bad and considerate behaviour. But I am not arguing for that - who would?!

You are also entitled to your opinion - judging by the amount of posts you make, you clearly have a lot of them. I doubt we are going to agree on this so I'll leave it there - so I can stay one post below 100!

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Memories of away games at Plymouth, Mansfield, Doncaster, Cambridge, Wrexham, Wycombe, Carlisle, Luton
Brentford, QPR, Leicester and loads more, seemed so much more fun, atmospheric and enjoyable than anything since.
Like so many of the older fans on here we inevitably reminisce and reflect on those times and the camaraderie of
traveling to away games.
Although home games since those days are inevitably and predominantly supported by a larger and more diverse
'crowd' than 'us lot' from the past.
It's now 20 years since I've seen a Fulham game live and apart from a trip to the Cottage a few years back for a
show round and sniff of the sacred air, and to show my US wife what it meant to me. Cost 2 pounds each.
Although streaming (illegally on FFCTV) I have rarely missed a game for many a year,
But the difference between being in Mansfield and Carlisle and memories of home games is incomparable.
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES