more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

A weird thought from me on JC

Started by pettyfog, January 03, 2011, 02:18:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pettyfog

.. no I mean Jeff Cunningham.

Old timers on FUSA know my opinion of him stretching way back to comparisons to Collins John and the FFC MLS All star event.
But here's a thought:
Fulham could use him for a short stint.

Jeff Cunningham pursues Europe option
An impasse in negotiations with Columbus has prompted striker Jeff Cunningham, the No. 2 all-time goalscorer in MLS history, to test options overseas.

Agent Jan Schiefloe is finalizing arrangements that will send Cunningham to Danish club Randers and an unspecified Norwegian club next week. He will train with the teams in hope of getting an offer to continue his career overseas. Cunningham -- with 132 goals second only to Jaime Moreno -- entered the Re-Entry Draft in December after netting 11 goals last season for FC Dallas, which declined to pick up his option.

While I would like to use this to pat myself on the back for pegging Jeffro so well 5 years ago, I'm instead suggesting that Fulham might be able to use him in the short term because he's relatively cheap.
Not only that he's a perfect fit because no matter how hard he's tried to change it, he's by far most effective coming off the bench.. just like July 2005.

Surely a top rank club can stand the short term hit to club solidarity.. or whatever it is causes MLS FO to treat him like he's hiv positive.

Steve_orino

Not sure what it is but Jeff is a mercurial player who has shown he can put the ball in the net.

Here in Dallas...I would prefer to see him come on as a sub rather than Eddie J, both of whom plied their trade here for a while. 
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

duffbeer

No too much pressure.  We have no idea how he'd react to that because he's not seen the premier league before.  I want someone who has had success in this league before - a loan is good enough for our current situation.

HatterDon

The only two attacking MLS players I can remember coming over to England and adapting to the pace of the Prem right away were McBride and Donovan -- both with Everton. In the MLS, as is the case with most warm-weather leagues, the pace is much less than it is in England.

I never really fancied JC anyhow.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

duffbeer

I think with the way we play we need a Zamora type.  I'd risk signing Ching on loan before someone like JC.  We have guys who can put the ball in the net, maybe not forwards but mids.  We just need a target holding man

AmericanJames

I'd rather eat tacks than bring in Brian Ching
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

HatterDon

Quote from: AmericanJames on January 05, 2011, 09:01:00 AM

Now, Mr. AJ, you probably haven't felt the wrath of a seriously pissed off Ms. Mo. It is NOT to be taken lightly. We generally rein in our negative comments on McChing so as to avoid them.  :029:
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

pettyfog

Quote from: HatterDon on January 04, 2011, 02:37:59 AM
The only two attacking MLS players I can remember coming over to England and adapting to the pace of the Prem right away were McBride and Donovan -- both with Everton. In the MLS, as is the case with most warm-weather leagues, the pace is much less than it is in England.

I never really fancied JC anyhow.

So?  Neither have I.  What I'm saying is that MH could have looked at his tapes and seen if he'd fit in right away.  That would mean he'd have to be able to just stick him in - at 60 or 70 - and let him do his thing. That's what Moyes did.  We all know Jeffro has the ego such that he isnt put off by awe of his surrounding and situation.
{Exactly the opposite of EJ, as it turned out. That MNT hat trick was a fluke in more ways than one.}

I think that 'pace' is misleading and misinterpreted.  Remember who will probably always hold the MLS > Prem just stuck in / minutes played record:
Yep... Simon Elliot.  Three months after season end. Of whom Crew fans said : 'Good riddance' and who took five games to fall back into 'passback Simon' paradigm.

And no, SE did not just sit back at DM.. he never did.  

Whatever.. it was just a thought and no one would be more surprised than me if my supposition actually happened
_____________________________________________________________--
Quote from: AmericanJames on January 05, 2011, 09:01:00 AM
Go ya one better:
I'd rather eat your bloody vomit after you ate those tacks than bring in Brian Ching.

Sorry, Mo... couldnt resist that.  Even if it's true.
:wink:

duffbeer

well the tack and bloody tack vomit eating is enough for me to know you guys are off your rockers so no point in getting upset.   Especially when the man among soccer boys can do the talking for himself.

Brian Ching Bicycle Kick vs DC United

AmericanJames

No question he can put it in the net... in the MLS, and is a great player in the league. But nothing I have ever seen from him has made me think he can translate it anywhere else. Just remember Eddie Johnson used to score in bunches in the MLS and for the nats now he is the scourge of fat fred and many on this board (somewhat unjustly but that's besides the point)
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

pettyfog

Quote from: AmericanJames on January 05, 2011, 08:29:42 PM
.. Just remember Eddie Johnson used to score in bunches in the MLS and for the nats now he is the scourge of fat fred and many on this board (somewhat unjustly but that's besides the point)
Yes, EJ scored in bunches... with long lulls between.  Selective memory, James!!  If you can do searches on the offal {which you cant} lots of us brought that up when EJ came in.

I am heartily sorry I ever brought it up.... even if I am right.  30 minute sub for half a season would fit.  Nothing else and that's all I proposed.

duffbeer

Quote from: AmericanJames on January 05, 2011, 08:29:42 PM
No question he can put it in the net... in the MLS, and is a great player in the league. But nothing I have ever seen from him has made me think he can translate it anywhere else. Just remember Eddie Johnson used to score in bunches in the MLS and for the nats now he is the scourge of fat fred and many on this board (somewhat unjustly but that's besides the point)

Despite being a huge fan of McChing, I have never ever advocated for him at Fulham.  Don should be able to back me up on that one. He was and is not good enouogh. I only suggested it as a comparison to Petty's suggestion of Cunningham because I think Ching could have some success at holding and distributing the ball in the Prem.  He's done it time and again at the international level.  Petty thinks a super sub will do, I think a holding forward is needed.  I'm regret Petty brought it up too.
:dead horse: :dead horse: :dead horse: