News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Based on todays performance and the overall season........

Started by rogerpbackinMidEastUS, May 03, 2022, 03:11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

.....I can't see why we can't compete very well next season.
OK we are all over the moon.
But, There are a lot of PS teams that we would have slaughtered today.
My logic is that, although the PS defenders are mostly technically better than Championship defenders
on our day we are capable of ripping a lot of them apart.   
Today = 7 goals from 6 different players.
I've watched a few PS games this season and there are very few that can create goals from numerous
positions and cut through defenses like we have shown several times.
I'm not sure of the amount of goals we have scored with 3,4,5,6,7 goals in a game but there are no
teams anywhere in Europe who have done that.

Transfers:  Again, based on tonight and some of our of our other 'executions' of teams this season
I don't think we need a complete overall of 5-6 players as many have suggested
I won't bother to name any positions that need improving, we all have our own thoughts.
This is not an exuberant reaction from tonight (from the US,I have only missed a couple of games all season
(Please don't inform the anti-streaming" authorities) 
I have seen our POT BOIL this season and some awfully embarrassing and woeful dross (mostly recently)
I believe that this team could be better than the Jean Tigana's and any in my era.
Woy and Slavic bought us success but not in this exciting fashion.

I would rather the 'transfer budget' be spent on keeping most of the players, obviously increasing certain wage offers.
and strengthening 2/3 areas.
This of course depends on the dreadful ????? rules.

To finalize (almost):   Marco has been absolutely fantastic in the job, credit to the Khans and selection team.   

_OK   I almost feel embarrassed to mention this one minor criticism, is the inability to motivate the team occasionally.
Q  How on earth did we play like we did against Forest, Derby and Coventry and then produced this, the most
spectacular performance I have seen from us in all of my years.

But on reflection that is not fair, more emotional than sensible.

So, to next season.
We have the team now to stay up easily.
If we can continue to motivate the players and give Mitro the service and KEEP FABIO
we should end up in the top 10 and if he goes and we provide a similar player we should be in the top 10/12

Under Marco and the Khans (+ BOA, Grey etc we have no one  to fear on the pitch.............NO TEAMS TO FEAR
A new stadium etc etc

Although I was nearly 25 years younger, I have not been so excited as I was "Globe trotting" England (to every game)
during the Micky Adams promotion year.

On reflection, Even the Tigana year, Keegan and Slovic periods, Europa Cup run and the couple of Wembley playoff wins, although fantastic have not excited me as much as tonight's win and the potential we have for next year.

I/We all have our thoughts on next season.
A wee thought:  go through all of the PS teams and match them against our performances and potential.

Final comment     MARCO SILVA   xxx

VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

bencher

Let's not get ahead of ourselves - once we were 2 up, Luton did not press us with much intensity at all. They were feisty (well quite dirty really) for the first half hour but dropped off a lot especially in the second half. This was true of our other big 7 goal hammerings.

We are good when we get ahead and rarely give the other team a chance to get back into it, but the crucial thing next year will be, will we score that vital first goal?

HamsterWheel

We mullahed a Luton team decimated by injuries who tried to stop us by kicking everyone they could. Once the first yellow was awarded I stuck a bet on there being 5 or more. Easy money! They had to stop kicking us when they got to 5 yellows and were worried about red cards which would affect their future, more winnable games. So then we scored at will.
Yes Fulham were good, but Luton were awful.

Cobh Fulham Fan

to the best of my memory, we had only one win this season where we came from behind after conceding the first goal.   Nearly all our wins came after us scoring first.   We seem to buckle more often than not when the opposition scores first and we lose that sense of self belief.

that cannot happen next season and thats what Silva really needs to work on in motivational terms. I watched West Ham V Arsenal a few days ago and as soon as Arsenal scored first, West Ham responded by going back up the other end and scored!  thats the mindset we need next year!

toshes mate

I agree with the OP.  This is not the FFC of two or four seasons ago where we saw crticism suggesting both over and under performing by achieving a play off success with the former and a missed automatic with the latter.  We have achieved a goal difference which is better than twenty one other Championship team's total goals scored.   We have seen blistering displays of attacking football countered by occasional blips when we looked decidedly below our best all around.  We have seen a great team spirit with no players apparenty ostracised.  We have a good base of players we have under contract as last night's game demonstrated.  We have a recruitment window with a head coach and team that should attract the right kind of talent.

In the PL we have to find a way of getting to forty points as soon as we can.   Most midtable PL teams hover around 1.2 PPG or 23pts mid-season. If we can win a third of our games we then need a few draws to get to the magic forty points.  It is not impossible by any stretch of the imagination.  I don't think anyone of us should write this team off because this is the FFC of 2022 and has already achieved something that doesn't happen very often, with a striker who has broken records, and a coaching team with a very positive attitude.   What is not to like?   

LC

We need about 7 new players. I don't expect all of them to start, it's important we keep the group we have together, but we clearly need new additions. So out of the 7 we bring in, maybe 4/5.  of them will start. It's important we add to the squad.

For me, we need a goalkeeper, centre back, left back, centre midfielder, left sided forward, and if Fabio leaves then a replacement for him as well. So that would be 6. It looks like the manager also wants a right back for cover, so I would expect to see new players come in.

It's not about replacing all our first team at all, in fact the majority of our first team will likely start next season, it's about updating the squad- especially the ageing players and being able to bring players off the bench who can have an impact and be able to come in and perform when we have injuries- and we will have injuries next season.

The is probably the first time we've gone up (since the Khans took over) that we've had a good spine to the team, so once again, no need for massive changes, but I'd expect to see at least 7 new players, with: Tete, Tosin, Reed, Wilson, Fabio(if he stays), Mitro starting next season, with players like Robinson, Seri and Cairney playing their fair share of games.

Anyhow, it would be a massive mistake if we weren't active in this summers transfer window.

akf

Quote from: Cobh Fulham Fan on May 03, 2022, 11:35:27 AM
to the best of my memory, we had only one win this season where we came from behind after conceding the first goal.   Nearly all our wins came after us scoring first.   We seem to buckle more often than not when the opposition scores first and we lose that sense of self belief.

that cannot happen next season and thats what Silva really needs to work on in motivational terms. I watched West Ham V Arsenal a few days ago and as soon as Arsenal scored first, West Ham responded by going back up the other end and scored!  thats the mindset we need next year!

Stoke 2-3 Fulham - muniz scored in the 2nd minute after we were 1-0 down in the first minute
Fulham 6-2 Bristol - came from behind twice, the second was 2 mins after going 1-2 behind

bencher

Quote from: akf on May 03, 2022, 01:07:34 PM
Quote from: Cobh Fulham Fan on May 03, 2022, 11:35:27 AM

Stoke 2-3 Fulham - muniz scored in the 2nd minute after we were 1-0 down in the first minute
Fulham 6-2 Bristol - came from behind twice, the second was 2 mins after going 1-2 behind

Two of my favourite matches/results this season. We'll need to call on that spirit next year

WindyCity

Quote from: rogerpbackinMidEastUS on May 03, 2022, 03:11:01 AM

Yes, I think you are way over the moon basking in this afterglow of a resounding title clinching victory.  (And maybe enjoying some high quality ganja.)  We can compete in the prem, but only if we add some quality to the team.  I would be looking for a MINIMUM 2-3 new faces of prem quality that can fit right into the starting XI.  And that's only a minimum.  Methinks more help will be needed.  I just can't agree with you that this team stay "as is" and can stay up next season.  I would really like to see the yo-yo stopped, and FFC enjoy a prolonged stay in the prem.  New blood is needed to do that, IMHO.

Additionally, I just don't think FFC would slaughter many prem clubs right now even when "on our game".  I just don't think it translates that easily, the leagues and quality of play are quite different. 

Please enjoy the season just completed, as I am doing with many others.  It was a great season and great finish for the trophy.  But let's get the necessary upgrades to compete in top flight.  Don't forget, Carvalho and Williams may not be around for next season, and that makes recruitment even that more important.  COYW

Donnie Lonegan

If we could only have three new players, I'd want them to be quality defenders, because without them, it will be a long season next season.

Fulham1959

I presume 'PS' is meant to be the Premiership.

However, it's been known as the Premier League for some time.

Scousewhite

The general consensus of the public is that Fulham will drop straight back down next season but I'm not sure that's going to be the case. I'm a lifelong Everton fan who moved to West London last year and chose to follow Fulham mainly due to fond memories of away games at the cottage plus the link with Marco and Antonee.

I've been to the majority of FFC home matches plus all of Evertons home games so I feel I'm in a good position to comment.

The style of play of FFC has been a breath of fresh air especially considering the Crap we've had to endure this season at Goodison!!

I'm obviously stating the obvious suggesting FFC need back up for Mitro but I'm also not struck on Rodak and I'm not sure how Ream will fare against Premier league forwards but the quality of the midfield and the remaining defenders is a match for the majority of the teams up there so I'm convinced that staying up isn't going to be an issue at all.

Marco has decent experience in the top league so as long as he can recruit decent additions, it's going to be another great season

Cobh Fulham Fan

well done Scousewhite. interesting to get a semi outside perspective.    Its hard to argue when any of what you said there. I think the last couple of yo-yo seasons has moulded a mindset among many on here that we are not really worthy of staying up, despite all the evidence that everything has changed - changed utterly!    049:gif

blingo

Quote from: rogerpbackinMidEastUS on May 03, 2022, 03:11:01 AM
My logic is that, although the PS defenders are mostly technically better than Championship defenders
on our day we are capable of ripping a lot of them apart.   
Today = 7 goals from 6 different players.
I've watched a few PS games this season and there are very few that can create goals from numerous
positions and cut through defenses like we have shown several times.
I'm not sure of the amount of goals we have scored with 3,4,5,6,7 goals in a game but there are no
teams anywhere in Europe who have done that.

Transfers:  Again, based on tonight and some of our of our other 'executions' of teams this season
I don't think we need a complete overall of 5-6 players as many have suggested
I won't bother to name any positions that need improving, we all have our own thoughts.
This is not an exuberant reaction from tonight (from the US,I have only missed a couple of games all season
(Please don't inform the anti-streaming" authorities) 
I have seen our POT BOIL this season and some awfully embarrassing and woeful dross (mostly recently)
I believe that this team could be better than the Jean Tigana's and any in my era.
Woy and Slavic bought us success but not in this exciting fashion.

I would rather the 'transfer budget' be spent on keeping most of the players, obviously increasing certain wage offers.
and strengthening 2/3 areas.
This of course depends on the dreadful ????? rules.

To finalize (almost):   Marco has been absolutely fantastic in the job, credit to the Khans and selection team.   

_OK   I almost feel embarrassed to mention this one minor criticism, is the inability to motivate the team occasionally.
Q  How on earth did we play like we did against Forest, Derby and Coventry and then produced this, the most
spectacular performance I have seen from us in all of my years.

But on reflection that is not fair, more emotional than sensible.

So, to next season.
We have the team now to stay up easily.
If we can continue to motivate the players and give Mitro the service and KEEP FABIO
we should end up in the top 10 and if he goes and we provide a similar player we should be in the top 10/12

Under Marco and the Khans (+ BOA, Grey etc we have no one  to fear on the pitch.............NO TEAMS TO FEAR
A new stadium etc etc

Although I was nearly 25 years younger, I have not been so excited as I was "Globe trotting" England (to every game)
during the Micky Adams promotion year.

On reflection, Even the Tigana year, Keegan and Slovic periods, Europa Cup run and the couple of Wembley playoff wins, although fantastic have not excited me as much as tonight's win and the potential we have for next year.

I/We all have our thoughts on next season.
A wee thought:  go through all of the PS teams and match them against our performances and potential.

Final comment     MARCO SILVA   xxx

Goals.
3 goals 7 times
4 goals 5 times
5 goals twice
6 goals twice
7 goals 3 times.

That Roger is why we are champions COYW's 049:gif 049:gif 049:gif

S.F.Sorrow

Our problem is that we look unbeatable when we are dominating games but not so great when we're under pressure. We won't be dominating many games in the PL and our top priority should be to strengthen our defence. A top quality CB would be on the top of my list, followed by a LB. We will also need backup for Tete at RB and THEN we can start worrying about other positions like CM, LW, etc.

MartyFFC

As soon as teams put us under real pressure, which will happen a lot in the PL; we crumble. We need 3 or 4 new defenders as the idea of the likes of Ream in the PL, is not something I want to contemplate

JoeS

Quote from: Scousewhite on May 04, 2022, 06:54:57 AM
The general consensus of the public is that Fulham will drop straight back down next season but I'm not sure that's going to be the case. I'm a lifelong Everton fan who moved to West London last year and chose to follow Fulham mainly due to fond memories of away games at the cottage plus the link with Marco and Antonee.

I've been to the majority of FFC home matches plus all of Evertons home games so I feel I'm in a good position to comment.

The style of play of FFC has been a breath of fresh air especially considering the Crap we've had to endure this season at Goodison!!

I'm obviously stating the obvious suggesting FFC need back up for Mitro but I'm also not struck on Rodak and I'm not sure how Ream will fare against Premier league forwards but the quality of the midfield and the remaining defenders is a match for the majority of the teams up there so I'm convinced that staying up isn't going to be an issue at all.

Marco has decent experience in the top league so as long as he can recruit decent additions, it's going to be another great season

Thank you for your input Scousewhite, very useful to have a slightly more neutral opinion!

I have family in Liverpool and they are Blues rather than Reds, so I hope you manage to get out of the drop zone, send Leeds down instead!

WindyCity

Quote from: Cobh Fulham Fan on May 04, 2022, 08:34:53 AM
I think the last couple of yo-yo seasons has moulded a mindset among many on here that we are not really worthy of staying up, despite all the evidence that everything has changed - changed utterly!   

Not REALLY sure just how much has changed.  Don't forget, we were relegated last year with the inclusion of a quality CB (Andersen) and quality GK (Areola).  And we likely stand to lose both Carvalho and Williams.  So, with those two leaving, the team is basically the same as the last prem squad with the exception of Wilson.  And quality CB and GK couldn't keep us up.  I don't want to sound too negative here, but I think the off season acquisitions are going to be critical for FFC to stay up.  Just as Scousewhite mentioned, and as I did also, FFC is gonna need to bring in some new faces to compete in top flight.  Cannot stand pat, must move forward, even if it means some current starters serve in backup roles.

WindyCity

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on May 04, 2022, 01:54:48 PM
Our problem is that we look unbeatable when we are dominating games but not so great when we're under pressure. We won't be dominating many games in the PL and our top priority should be to strengthen our defence. A top quality CB would be on the top of my list, followed by a LB. We will also need backup for Tete at RB and THEN we can start worrying about other positions like CM, LW, etc.

Agree, defense should be the top priority in strengthening the squad.  CB, LB and DM.  Perhaps upgrade at GK?  That said, we will need some improvement in our offense too, maybe a striker or winger.  Still need to tickle the twine if we hope to succeed.