watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Opening day, would you be happy?

Started by JoeS, May 04, 2022, 02:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WindyCity

Nice commentary Woolly.  Maybe some spry late-twenty-somethings, or early-thirty-somethings?  Particularly in backline defense.  CB/DM?

filham

All of the above generally identifies areas where we will have to introduce new improved players of quality but also recognoses that we have to retain the basis of this season's really outstanding line up.

I am looking for something like:-
                                                                                 Areola
                                                  Tete           Tosin              A.N. Other             Robinson

Cairney            Seri 

A.N. Other
                                                 Wilson                           Mitro                          A.N.Other

I would ,like Woolly, be looking for Premier league experience in the defensive positions but would be pleased to accept the likes of Carvalho in the attacking role or a young (18 year old) Johnny Haynes in midfield.
These new players all have to be top quality and significantly better than the players  they are replacing, no point in replacing present players with those of the same standard. It maybe that our budget will not run to four high priced players in which case settle for Reed as the defensive midfielder and just sign replacements for three.
We need these new players here for pre season, lets not have any of this waiting for window closing day in the hope og picking up bargain basement buys.

WolverineFFC

Quote from: The Rational Fan on May 06, 2022, 08:05:41 AM
Quote from: Cookie6262 on May 06, 2022, 07:23:48 AM
We obviously will get some money in as well Anguissa and Fab is £20 million between them and a lot of players on large wages will be off this summer as well Mawson/ Anguissa/ knock/ poss Ream etc.

I know Seri is out of contract is there no option of an extra year?? If he goes that's another high wage off the books.

Seri has been reported to be on £60,000 per year, which is 1/36th of Fulham's 2021/22 wage bill. Getting Seri off the wages bill has been an obsession for some people, I personally find Knockaert's £40,000 per week more problematic.

You are right about Knockaert. Hopefully since he has entered the final year of his deal, he will be more amenable to moving on. I doubt there would be any transfer fee, but if the club can get rid of his salary, it would be helpful.

WolverineFFC

Quote from: Sting of the North on May 04, 2022, 02:36:46 PM
Quote from: JoeS on May 04, 2022, 02:12:25 PM
The team news is announced on the opening day of the Premier League season!

Purely hypothetical and just a bit of fun, would you be happy if the team looked like this?

Areola
Tete Tosin Gomez Robinson
Reed Seri
Wilson Twine Solomon
Mitro

I would fear that the midfield would not be good enough. I see Seri as possibly good enough for the PL with the right midfield partner, but can't see that partner being Reed.

Otherwise quite intriguing, although I would be happier with Fabio rather than Twine.

Yes. That midfield would get trampled in the Premier League.

FFC In Oz

Quote from: WolverineFFC on May 07, 2022, 02:57:59 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on May 04, 2022, 02:36:46 PM
Quote from: JoeS on May 04, 2022, 02:12:25 PM
The team news is announced on the opening day of the Premier League season!

Purely hypothetical and just a bit of fun, would you be happy if the team looked like this?

Areola
Tete Tosin Gomez Robinson
Reed Seri
Wilson Twine Solomon
Mitro

I would fear that the midfield would not be good enough. I see Seri as possibly good enough for the PL with the right midfield partner, but can't see that partner being Reed.

Otherwise quite intriguing, although I would be happier with Fabio rather than Twine.

Yes. That midfield would get trampled in the Premier League.

Agreed.

Cairney and Seri as the pivots are not physical enough.

One of them needs to play next to an enforcer type.

WolverineFFC

Quote from: wback on May 06, 2022, 12:23:44 PM
I think everyone forgets we can do some loans or frees too. Lots of teams out there with huge squads.

None are perfect, but look at the (mostly attacking) midfielders you could potentially pick up (clearly not at the level to make it into their team's first team):

- Ziyech, Barkley, Hudson-Odoi
- Oxlade Chamberlain
- Bergwijn
- Guendouzi
- Perez

To name a few...

I don't think I would be very optimistic with any of those players on loan. Fulham's best transfer/loan business of the past 3-4 years has been pretty consistent. Buy or loan players who are ready to make the step up. Not other Premier League team's retreads.

Reed, ARob, Tosin, Harry Wilson. They aren't all ready to make the step up, but those who don't like Bryan, Hector, end up being solid backup/squad players for the duration of their contracts.

The club gets into trouble when they try to pay Premier League prices, salaries for either "Premier proven" or overpriced overseas players. RLC, Mawson, Knockaert, Seri, FZA. I just don't think the club can get the pick of the litter in those situations because they are not at the level to compete for those players yet.

I would be focusing on the Championship for players like Brennan Johnsen, Gyorekes, Gibbs-White, the Derby winger who are ready to make the step up with the club but otherwise would be in the Championship.