watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Taking my hat off to Brentford πŸ‘πŸ»

Started by Riversider, May 08, 2022, 09:52:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversider

What a season and what an achievement by Thomas Frank and his squad, all that and they've never really struggled and never been under pressure,
We probably spent more on Knockaert and Cavaleiro than they have spent on their entire squad ,
A squad made up of players with a great workmanlike attitude and no primadonnas (sp)
Everybody at Brentford appears to be pulling in the same direction there is total unity from the Chairman to the manager to the players to the supporters, all together as one,
The only blemish I can see on the horizon for them is that the stadium just isn't big enough to sustain long term success,
But we'll done Brentford and finishing above them now appears to be a more challenging prospect than any of us anticipated.

Whitestone

Totally agree. Keeping Eriksen will be key for them. Let's hope he moves on. Likewise Ivan Toney.

bog

They have done very well especially coming up by way of the play offs.

filham

Brentford fans must be very happy they are witnessing the best period in their club's history.

The new ground is not large but comfortable and within the same catchment area as Griffin Park, a great move.

Asotosyios

If I'm not mistaken, they lost 6-7 in a row at some point and they were very close to the relegation zone, so it's not exactly true that they never really struggled.

Judging by the reactions here after yesterday's loss, I don't even want to start thinking what we might here if we have a similar period of consecutive losses.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 using Tapatalk

Southdowns White

Quote from: Riversider on May 08, 2022, 09:52:48 AM
What a season and what an achievement by Thomas Frank and his squad, all that and they've never really struggled and never been under pressure,
We probably spent more on Knockaert and Cavaleiro than they have spent on their entire squad ,
A squad made up of players with a great workmanlike attitude and no primadonnas (sp)
Everybody at Brentford appears to be pulling in the same direction there is total unity from the Chairman to the manager to the players to the supporters, all together as one,
The only blemish I can see on the horizon for them is that the stadium just isn't big enough to sustain long term success,
But we'll done Brentford and finishing above them now appears to be a more challenging prospect than any of us anticipated.
We seem to be getting things right off the pitch, new stand, possible redevelopment of other parts of the ground and developing the training ground. Where we seem to be letting our selves down is signing players who are clearly not good enough, Knockaert being a clear example, the fans knew he had reached his end and we still signed him.

toshes mate

Quote from: Southdowns White on May 08, 2022, 12:09:09 PM
Quote from: Riversider on May 08, 2022, 09:52:48 AM
We seem to be getting things right off the pitch, new stand, possible redevelopment of other parts of the ground and developing the training ground. Where we seem to be letting our selves down is signing players who are clearly not good enough, Knockaert being a clear example, the fans knew he had reached his end and we still signed him.
I agree that we are so close to having a properly unified setup and hope that the summer window will clear out the remaining detritus along with a promise from our professional staff to not allow repeat poor recruitment simply to fill holes inappropriately rather than applying some thought to who we have on our wish list in the first place (including unwanted has beens).

Middlesexclub

Think these guys like Knocky,Cav and the Huddersfield centre back were signed on loan with a guarantee that we would buy them at a prearranged price if we got promoted. Underlying feeling beingnthat they must have played well to get us up.
The problem was giving them such long contracts but then they might not have signed on loan without the long contract.
Not always easy to get players from the Prem , particularly if we try to get relegation wage reductions in their contracts.

Andy S

I think it was a lovely touch putting a free scarf on every seat last Monday. I cannot imagine many clubs doing that.

john dempsey

Leeds did the same last seasonΒ  struggling like mad now
second season syndrome and all that.

Mince n Tatties

Regardless what some on here think...
He is a good manager specifically at motivating players.

SP

Personally, I wouldn't take anything off for them.

Jules

They have done remarkably well and look like a solid premier team now. Makes you think about our transfer policy, and realise you don't have to spend tens of millions on players. You mention Knock and Cav but add in several others such as Anguissa which were big money signings that haven't paid off for us. I hope we can find some good value solid, physical players with some pace that can fit into Silva's tactical plans for next season. It's going to be a scrap to stay up and we need some new additions without breaking our budget.

St Eve

They had a fantastic season. Very few expected them to stay up, let alone finish mid table. I hope we can do the same next season.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Soft spot for them going back to the early/mid 60's
I watched us and them alternately.
Fortunately I chose us.

VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Motspur Park

Different dilemma for them as they have no academy, so they have to keep buying correctly. Not so easy to do especially when they really have to move on from looking at the lower leagues. I think they have tapped into the Northern Europe leagues which is working for them. Seems thus far to have been much more successful than our recent policies but Parker played our team with the brakes on last time in the Prem. I think they will still be up against it next year.
When they go back down, and they will eventually, just as we will, they may well go through the divisions as when their best players leave, they will have no academy to back them up.

bencher

Huddersfield and Sheff Utd (and possibly Leeds) are recent examples of teams that did well and survived the first year but then struggled in the second year and went down. Let's see how they do next year. I do think they have overperformed in some ways and Eriksen was clearly a great signing that helped everyone to raise their game. For me they are a good example of the team being more than the sum of its parts, and we need to really take that lesson on board and use the strengths of a team unit if we are to survive. We will not be able to rely on individual qualities like we have done sometimes this season.

Sting of the North

I actually think that they could very well have continued to struggle had Eriksen not basically fallen into their lap. Because they were seriously struggling after a good start, and had almost fallen down into the relegation fight. I think this just shows that while the difference between the Premier League and the Championship is big, it is definitely possible to manage it with some consistency and a slice of good fortune. I don't think Brentford has recruited anything special and I don't think their players are very good (for the level they are playing at), but they have managed to find unity and consistency by sticking to their plan.

I suspect that if they get off to a bad start next season they may very well finish last, certainly a risk if Eriksen leaves. But if they manage a few good additions and get off to a good start they may well finish mid table again. The margins are fine even at that level and as such even though their squad is worse than Leeds and Burnley and a lot worse than Everton they have overcome that in style.

We can deifinitely do the same since our squad is much closer to being ready than the last few times, and our staff also seem much more ready. If we can build confidence through a good start I believe we have every chance to be next years Brentford/Leeds/Sheffield United etc.

bog

Much is made of Ivan Toney's twelve goals but with Mitro's 11 in a miserably weak side was regarded as an 'only' total.

092.gifΒ  Β 

Woolly Mammoth

What Brentford have done is succeeded in staying up, where Fulham have failed twice in two attempts.
So all credit to them and it nice to see comparatively small clubs mix it with the so called big boys and stand their ground.
They have had some memorable victories this season.

Therefore why can't we, what did they do that we did not, what did we do that they did not.
Their scouting system and recruitment is standing them in good stead, and the evidence has shown that they are having more success with that than we are.

These days it is not what may or may not happen in the future as the future is uncertain.
So it is about insuring we stay up, and the best chance is to take advantage of the extra time we have to prepare to condition and organise, and target experienced players for key positions especially at the back, who have a strong mentality, and that goes for all recruits, it is the character of players which you won't find on a computer. At least survive the first season and review the next step.
Do not recruit players who think they need time to settle, that is foolhardy.
We need players who will make an impact from day one.

Surely we need to bring players in to be involved in preseason training and friendlies and be familiarised with the mechanics of Fulham.

Deadline day signings will not help in the early fixtures, we need to get points on the board early, build on it and keep it ticking over.

We cannot afford to make the same mistakes for the third time.
We need winners and leaders in the ranks because every match whoever we play will be a Cup Final.

The plus is that some of our players have had the experience of playing in these Premier League games so it won't be new to everyone.

Targets for first, second and third choices have no doubt been drawn up, and we have to assume surgery will start to commence.
In the meantime all sorts of rumours will spread to get people excited or not excited, and most will just be gossip and rumour mongering.

Best policy i advise if the suspense is hard to take is to either shove off to Tim Buc To for a couple months, and fo not check newspapers or the internet or sky sports,Β  or join a Monastery or become a recluse until end of July, and then return to the land of the living, and then all will revealed, a bit like waiting for Christmas Day.

Will some players make you feel that you are gettingΒ  a new set of Golf Clubs and a Crate of your favourite Booze, or will certain players be compared to a new pair of carpet slippers that are one size too small, or a Tie you know as soon as you unwrap the paper you will never wear.

So the moral of the story is just wait and see who visits Motspur Park and likes what he sees.
No point worrying about it, it only gives you ulcers and arguing the toss and falling out with somebody because you disagree.
Best to relax chill out and take it easy, as there is plenty of time to rejoice and gripe when the time comes.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.