watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Almiron or Gibbs-White?

Started by Arthur, May 30, 2022, 12:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HillingdonFFC

Would love Gibbs White but haven't seen any credible links , there was one from a bloke on Twitter with 37 followers
Seems to split opinions at Wolves, they loved him at Sheffield United

Tabby

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on May 30, 2022, 05:08:32 PM
Would love Gibbs White but haven't seen any credible links , there was one from a bloke on Twitter with 37 followers
Seems to split opinions at Wolves, they loved him at Sheffield United

There is this, which is about average for transfer link reliability.

https://www.teamtalk.com/wolves/exclusive-lage-hand-morgan-gibbs-white-chance-leeds-among-trio-suitors

BarryP

Quote from: Whitestone on May 30, 2022, 04:26:31 PM
Let's pretend this is an ideal world for a moment. Let's assume that Silva has told TK that he wants Gibbs-White. Let's also assume the MGW is for sale. Wouldn't it be nice, if for once, our recruitment team sorted a transfer without all the fannying around, that's also assuming the player would be interested in signing. Perhaps this could be applied to all of our targets. I do of course realise things aren't quite that simplistic but surely occasionally we can get a club to name a price, make a decision and do a deal or not, as the case may be.

In an ideal world this would be possible. Unfortunately agents still exist which greatly lowers the likelihood of this happening.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

rebel

Apparently Almiron has a £60m release clause, good luck with that if that is the case. Gibbs - White might be a better bet.

FFC1987

Quote from: rebel on May 30, 2022, 05:30:49 PM
Apparently Almiron has a £60m release clause, good luck with that if that is the case. Gibbs - White might be a better bet.

Haha maybe I was undercooking suggesting we wouldn't get him for 12m!  :005:

LC

I think we could get Takumi Minamino for a similar amount of money and would prefer we went for him.

FFC1987

Quote from: LC on May 30, 2022, 05:40:23 PM
I think we could get Takumi Minamino for a similar amount of money and would prefer we went for him.

I'd love us to bring in Minamino....just think he'll end up at Southampton or somewhere!

davew

Are either of them actually available, or is this just pipe dreaming again?
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Craven Mad

Clearly it's all speculation, but - for the purposes of debate - I'm not sure why it has to be either/or - couldn't we go for both?

They're both attacking players, but Almiron is more often used as a winger, whereas MGW is a central player.

I'd be pleased to see both. MGW would be a nailed-on starter at CAM, with Almiron competing to start at LW (and a great option behind Wilson at RW, too)

davew

Quote from: Craven Mad on May 30, 2022, 06:53:58 PM
Clearly it's all speculation, but - for the purposes of debate - I'm not sure why it has to be either/or - couldn't we go for both?

They're both attacking players, but Almiron is more often used as a winger, whereas MGW is a central player.

I'd be pleased to see both. MGW would be a nailed-on starter at CAM, with Almiron competing to start at LW (and a great option behind Wilson at RW, too)
Either or both would be an improvement to our squad!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

bog

Quote from: bencher on May 30, 2022, 04:50:32 PM
Quote from: bog on May 30, 2022, 04:37:13 PM
The last player we signed from Newcastle turned out to be quite useful.... :022:

092.gif

Damien Duff wasn't too bad either

No he wasn't. l always liked Damian.  :54:

Wingnut

Quote from: FFC1987 on May 30, 2022, 05:42:49 PM
Quote from: LC on May 30, 2022, 05:40:23 PM

I'd love us to bring in Minamino....just think he'll end up at Southampton or somewhere!

A good signing. Is he available? Hearing lots of rumours that Mane is going to leave Liverpool. Salah is coming towards the end of his contract also. Liverpool might decide to hold onto him.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

hovewhite

Sting of the North

Quote from: hovewhite on May 31, 2022, 08:29:12 PM
Gibbs white easy decision.

I think it is anything but easy given the premises in the OP. It was not a question simply about which player we preferred.

toshes mate

Quote from: Whitestone on May 30, 2022, 04:26:31 PM
Let's pretend this is an ideal world for a moment. Let's assume that Silva has told TK that he wants Gibbs-White. Let's also assume the MGW is for sale. Wouldn't it be nice, if for once, our recruitment team sorted a transfer without all the fannying around, that's also assuming the player would be interested in signing. Perhaps this could be applied to all of our targets. I do of course realise things aren't quite that simplistic but surely occasionally we can get a club to name a price, make a decision and do a deal or not, as the case may be.
I think we were closer to this 'ideal world' view before transfer windows were introduced and top leagues separated into elites and not so elites.  Windows concentrate activity into a period which almost becomes a competition in itself and therefore ideal media fodder.   Agents take a lot of stick and no doubt some deserve it but the wole structure of football is not designed to increase competitive activity as widely as possible to the benefit of lower leagues.  It is designed to suit the already rich and that is its deepest flaw. 

Arthur

Evidently, I should have found a different title; my post has been taken by some to be a straight forward preference between Almiron and Gibbs-White. I used these two players, however, because, reading the lukewarm reception that our link to Almiron drew on the transfer thread, together they help to illustrate a storm that may be brewing: If we can't sign the players we most want now, to what extent should we compromise on quality to get our squad sorted in time for a proper pre-season?

I'll exaggerate for the point of example: If we get to June 30th and we haven't been able to get any of our top targets for centre-back through the door, I imagine we could contact Sutton United, offer them £2M for their third- or fourth-choice centre-back, offer the player a £20k-a-week contract, taxi him to Motspur Park for a medical, and have the transfer wrapped up inside a day. Then, when the players return for pre-season on July 1st, the Club can say to supporters: 'See - a new centre-back in time for pre-season. We've learned the lesson of past mistakes.' Yet how many of us would be satisfied with that?

I am wondering whether the forum would be happier for us to buy players, in any position, of Almiron-like quality sooner rather than go until later in the window trying to tempt those of Gibbs-White-type quality?

Blawarmy

Gibbs-White heavily linked to Forest now.