watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Slightly FR - Australia off to Qatar

Started by Kemosabe, June 13, 2022, 10:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kemosabe

So I see that Australia beat Peru on penalties (with a super-sub goalie) to secure their place in the WC Finals in Qatar in November.

It's slightly Fulham-related - as their assistant manager is our old gaffer Rene Meulensteen.  I always thought the Khans were a little quick to pull the trigger on him - partly looking at who replaced him!

Interestingly, Meulensteen coached a couple of teams in Qatar early in his career. Wonder if it will give him an insight into the physical preparation needs?

FFC In Oz

It's a tough time to be an Aussie football fan.  Gone are the days of Viduka, Kewell, Cahill, Bresciano, Emerton, Neill, Grella, Schwarzer etc.

This is one of the weakest Aussie sides in a long time (probably since the 80s).  I'll be honest, waking up at 4am for the match this morning I wasn't expecting much, but we controlled the game against Peru, yet showed our lack of creativity and cutting edge in the final third.

Ah well, bugger it.  We're off to the World Cup.

kiwian

Quote from: FFC In Oz on June 14, 2022, 06:10:11 AM
It's a tough time to be an Aussie football fan.  Gone are the days of Viduka, Kewell, Cahill, Bresciano, Emerton, Neill, Grella, Schwarzer etc.

This is one of the weakest Aussie sides in a long time (probably since the 80s).  I'll be honest, waking up at 4am for the match this morning I wasn't expecting much, but we controlled the game against Peru, yet showed our lack of creativity and cutting edge in the final third.

And hopefully their neighbours will join them tomorrow!
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?

blingo

The antics of the Aussie goalkeeper for the penalties were a joke and pathetic to watch.

Snibbo

Quote from: blingo on June 14, 2022, 07:38:25 AM
The antics of the Aussie goalkeeper for the penalties were a joke and pathetic to watch.

Looked strange didn't it. Surprised it's not regarded as "ungentlemanly conduct" or has that gone out the window.

I think he got it from Aussie Rules, where players do that when the opposition has a kick for goal from a "mark". Always thought it was a bit childish.

FFC In Oz

Quote from: kiwian on June 14, 2022, 06:55:33 AM
Quote from: FFC In Oz on June 14, 2022, 06:10:11 AM

And hopefully their neighbours will join them tomorrow!

Good luck mate :)

JudgeBread

Quote from: Kemosabe on June 13, 2022, 10:32:47 PM

It's slightly Fulham-related - as their assistant manager is our old gaffer Rene Meulensteen.  I always thought the Khans were a little quick to pull the trigger on him - partly looking at who replaced him!

Jeez I wish I had a time machine to see the alternate reality where we stuck with Rene. His last two games against United and Liverpool had me convinced we were staying up.

Surlyc

Quote from: JudgeBread on June 14, 2022, 08:56:59 AM

Jeez I wish I had a time machine to see the alternate reality where we stuck with Rene. His last two games against United and Liverpool had me convinced we were staying up.
I think Rene had enough credit with the fans that he could have made a go of it. Good luck to him with Australia.

Of course whether or not Rene kept us up, I can't believe there is any way he recruits more poorly than Magath did. Aside from McCormack (in the days when his gate still worked) the rest of that summer window almost destroyed the club: Eisfeld, Bodurov, Casasola, Voser, Kiraly, Taggart, Hoogland, Hutchinson, Chihi and of course Fulham legend Mark Fotheringham. It still gives me nightmares!

The Cravenette

Choosing Magath over Rene remains THE worst decision by TK.

H4usuallysitting

Australia were lucky Paddington wasn't playing

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Cravenette on June 14, 2022, 09:43:00 AM

Totally agree and that's saying something.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

ALG01

I would prefer some things return to the way they were.
First is the goalkeeper has to keep still until the ball is truck, otherwise why not have the old US shoou out style one on one with the lkeeper the attacker starting on the half way line
Second the offside rule. if you are in an offside position when the ball is struck forward then you are offside... the current rule is shambolic.

As far as the australian keeper was concerned, I think his antics were pathetic and I thought at least one foot had to be on the line at all times but the rulkes are so messed up who knows anymore.

FFC In Oz

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on June 14, 2022, 10:06:59 AM
Quote from: The Cravenette on June 14, 2022, 09:43:00 AM

Totally agree and that's saying something.

That's triggered awful memories.

Who plays Burn at RB? Yuck.

Somerset Fulham

Didn't Graham Potter do it at Brighton with quite some success?

Well done to Australia.  Now to celebrate please allow some of us Brits who are to old to qualify to remain there to emigrate!

FFC In Oz

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on June 14, 2022, 11:53:41 AM
Didn't Graham Potter do it at Brighton with quite some success?

Well done to Australia.  Now to celebrate please allow some of us Brits who are to old to qualify to remain there to emigrate!

I believe Burn was initially on the fringes at Brighton.  Potter played him as a LWB with limited (read: inconsistent performances) success before playing him at LCB where he thrived and earned his move to Newcastle.

Somerset Fulham

No doubt he is a better centre half than anything else, but yes his time one the left (not the right) seems to have gone pretty well from what I read.

Anyway, water under the bridge now - he's a centre back at one of the richest clubs in the world and fair play to him.

love4ffc

Just watched the highlights and penalties for the match.  Looked like a pretty rough one to be honest.  Not sure how either team finished with 11 men still on the pitch. 

Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Twig

Quote from: Surlyc on June 14, 2022, 09:11:17 AM

I think Rene had enough credit with the fans that he could have made a go of it. Good luck to him with Australia.

Of course whether or not Rene kept us up, I can't believe there is any way he recruits more poorly than Magath did. Aside from McCormack (in the days when his gate still worked) the rest of that summer window almost destroyed the club: Eisfeld, Bodurov, Casasola, Voser, Kiraly, Taggart, Hoogland, Hutchinson, Chihi and of course Fulham legend Mark Fotheringham. It still gives me nightmares!

That is one seriously depressing list.

ProfficerFFC

Quote from: Surlyc on June 14, 2022, 09:11:17 AM

Can't believe you forgot about Dino Fazlic. The man, the myth, the legend.
Also a bit unfair to have Casasola on that list, he was a promising Argentina under-20 international and didn't cost much. It didn't work out for him at Fulham, most likely couldn't adapt. Regularly playing in Serie B now.
Eisfeld was also a promising signing at the time.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

The other day I watched a brief documentary about Peru having a load of Shamans performing
'their Shaman stuff" to beat Australia.  It could have been on the Beeb.
Part of it included the Shamans sticking swords in photos or a poster of the OZ team.

Well, that didn't work, did it !
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES