more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff - 24/06/22...

Started by WhiteJC, June 24, 2022, 09:14:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Lee Clark tops 5 Newcastle – Fulham deals as Howe targets Silva's star

Newcastle United are interested in Tosin Adarabioyo while Fulham are also tracking Jamaal Lascelles, who could be in the sixth and seventh permanent transfers between the teams with summer moves.

The Toon have only shopped at Craven Cottage once in the club's history with Lee Clark returning to Tyneside in 2005. Four players have headed in the opposite direction, on the other hand, while one further player has left the Magpies for west London in a loan move that was not made permanent.

Philippe Albert departed St James' Park to join the Cottagers on loan in January 1999, yet the Belgian only featured 13 times. So, instead of sealing a permanent transfer to Fulham, Newcastle would sell the centre-half back to one of his former teams in RSC Charleroi for the final 12 months of his career.

Newcastle are interested in Adarabioyo, as Fulham have eyes on Lascelles transfer

Fulham would hope Lascelles enjoys a longer and more productive career at Craven Cottage, should Marco Silva now seek to sign the centre-half following the Cottagers' promotion back to the Premier League. Chronicle Live cite the Championship winners as a possible landing spot for the 28-year-old.

Nottingham Forest are also interested in Lascelles should the Toon skipper depart St James' as Eddie Howe bids to bolster his budget. But the Magpies would only sanction the defender's sale upon the arrival of at least one further senior option to join Dan Burn and Fabian Schar at the club next term.

Howe is also open to adding a younger option to his centre-half group with Lascelles the youngest at 28. The Mirror report Newcastle are interested in signing Adarabioyo from Fulham after making the EFL and PFA's Teams of the Season for the 2021/22 campaign following 44 appearances last season.

Dan Ashworth is now working with Howe on adding lasting foundations to the Saudi-backed project underway on Tyneside. But The Sun also note the Cottagers are in talks with Adarabioyo over a new contract as the 24-year-old only has one year remaining on his £60k-a-week terms signed in 2020.

Silva is eager to see Fulham fend off any interest in Adarabioyo, should Newcastle or another suitor emerge this summer. The Toon were also keen on the Manchester-born star last summer, per The Athletic, having impressed after leaving Manchester City for an initial £1.5m, plus £2m in add-ons.

Adarabioyo electing against signing a new contract with Fulham could well see him replace Lascelles at Newcastle this year, then, given Howe and Silva's interest in the defenders. So, with that in mind, who has featured in permanent transfers between the Toon and Cottagers before alongside Clark?

Adarabioyo could follow Clark in joining Newcastle from Fulham amid Howe's interest

Adarabioyo could follow Clark and become the second Fulham player to join Newcastle amid Howe's interest this summer. The Magpies re-signed Clark in 2005 after the winger had spent six years at the Cottagers, having joined them from Sunderland in 1999 following two seasons with the Black Cats.

Clark added both Tyne-Wear rivals to his CV in 1997 as he left Newcastle for Sunderland in a £2.5m transfer. The former England U21 international would go on to feature 178 times with Fulham for 22 goals and 15 assists, while his Toon haul would go on to reach 27 goals and 28 assists in 260 games.

Mitrovic the last Newcastle player to join Fulham for Lascelles to possibly follow

Aleksandar Mitrovic is the most recent Newcastle player to join Fulham for Lascelles to possibly now follow amid Silva's interest. The Cottagers hired the Serbian from the Magpies in January 2018 in an initial loan deal, which the west London outfit made permanent that summer for £22m, up to £27m.

The 27-year-old had joined Newcastle from RSC Anderlecht in 2015 for £13m under Steve McClaren. He went on to offer the Toon 17 goals and 10 assists in 72 games in all competitions, and now boasts 96 goals and 18 assists in 177 games for Fulham after hitting 43 in the 2021/22 Championship term.

Fulham secured Duff transfer from Newcastle before nine-year gap between raids

Fulham secured a permanent deal for Damien Duff nine years before the Cottagers raided Newcastle for Mitrovic. The Craven Cottage natives sought to land the Republic of Ireland midfielder's signature following the Toon's relegation in 2008/09, which was confirmed by his own goal against Aston Villa.

Duff had joined Newcastle from Chelsea in 2006 for £5m, but the 101-cap international only offered six goals and eight assists over 86 games. The two-time Premier League winner with the Blues would then offer 22 goals and 30 assists in 173 games for the Cottagers, eclipsed only by 213 for Blackburn.

Goma closed Newcastle chapter after two seasons to join Fulham

Alain Goma joined Fulham from Newcastle in 2001 to close his chapter on Tyneside after two seasons. The Toon had signed the centre-half from Paris Saint-Germain in 1999, but he only played 41 times at St James'. A far cry from the 152 appearances the two-cap France star then made at Craven Cottage.

Fulham launched first successful Newcastle raid to sign Brazil in 1990

Fulham launched their first successful raid on Newcastle in 1990 to sign Gary Brazil following his only full season on Tyneside. The Magpies had bought the forward off Preston North End in 1989, but cut ties with him the following year. The Cottagers would call on the Englishman to play there until 1996.

https://www.geordiebootboys.com/transfers/lee-clark-tops-5-newcastle-fulham-deals-as-howe-targets-silvas-star/

WhiteJC

Carlisle United signs up Fulham midfielder

Carlisle United have concluded a deal with Premier League new boys Fulham to bring midfielder Sonny Hilton on a season-long loan.

Liverpool-born Hilton, 21, had started his career with Tranmere Rovers and was signed by Fulham at Under-16s level.

He has represented England Under-16s and captained Fulham's under-18 side as he continued to progress through the ranks at Craven Cottage.

He enjoyed a loan spell with Finnish side TPS Turku between April and July last year and returned to skipper the Fulham under-23 squad during the 2021/22 season.

Playing on the right of midfield, and in the middle, he was part of the team that clinched the Premier League 2 Division 2 title, securing their promotion in style.

Carlisle manager Paul Simpson said: "Sonny is a player I know from when I was working with the England under-19 set-up. He's a really talented footballer, but also a great lad as well.

"I enjoyed working with him and I heard he was available for a loan for the coming season a few weeks ago. He had a really successful season with the 23s at Fulham last time out and they feel he's ready.

"His numbers in terms of assists and goals were as good as it's been, and I want players like that in the club.

"I like young, hungry and talented footballers and, like I say, I want that type of player in the building."

"Everything about him points to a player who wants to kick on. He was at Tranmere, in their Centre of Excellence, but the chance to go on trial in London didn't bother him at all.

"He went down to Fulham and he's been over to Finland, because he just wants to progress. He's been with Fulham for seven years now, and he had that loan spell abroad as well.

"A few injury problems meant that didn't go the way he would have wanted it to, but last season was a strong one for him, and we're hoping he can come here and kick on and add to what we already have in the squad.

"He played as a central midfielder for me with England in a tournament we had against France and Belgium, and he stood out against some really talented players.

"He can play wide on the right, or as a number 10, so he brings options and different capabilities. I'm really looking forward to working with him again."

"Another good thing is that he's a character," he concluded. "He's got a bit about him, he's not afraid to say his piece, and I am glad that we've got this one over the line.

"It's a great opportunity for him that I think he'll relish, so let's see what he can do at Football League level."

https://cumbriacrack.com/2022/06/23/carlisle-united-signs-up-fulham-midfielder/

WhiteJC

No one is ITK...

It is hard to be a Fulham fan right now and not be completely frustrated with the endless procession of players we are linked to one minute only to be dismissed the following day having seen said player sign elsewhere or deny ever wanting to leave in the first place.

Much like myself I am sure your timeline consists of a bunch of "ITK" accounts claiming to have sources much closer to the club than you, Other clubs actually making signings and a Director of football who seems to only post about Wrestling when he should in fact be getting to grips with a squad that clearly needs investment.

I want to think that I am better than most when it comes to being patient around these things but it doesn't stop me refreshing Twitter every hour in the hope that something has occurred despite constantly reassuring myself that it is all completely out of our hands and what will be will be.

No doubt there will be some new faces when we kick off at home to Liverpool on the 6th August but whatever we achieve between now and then will in most people's eyes never be enough. If, like me, you anticipated an early promotion meant that this time round we would have a smoother transition with lots of early arrivals then clearly you have let the optimism of last season cloud your judgement of the club you know all too well. 

If you want to be optimistic about our current predicament then it should be said that our inability to secure a single new recruit so far is probably due to the fact we are in the market for a higher calibre of player and not just scrambling around for the free transfers and deadwood from other teams that are on the move. In that sense it will take longer to get these people over the line and with a world cup being just 6 months away many players are taking their time to ensure they make the right move as well as completely switching off for summer break before pre season begins.

The fact we play Liverpool first game of the season is probably a blessing in disguise as I would much rather have a "free hit" with half a squad than a "winnable game" when it's highly likely that all the pieces won't be in place by that point. I am of course aware of the irony that we took 4 points from them last time out and calling it a "free hit" may be a little premature.

I have no doubt that the club are very aware that we have a lot of work to do in this window and I am sure there are plenty of very capable and very focused people doing good work in the background to get these deals done but if you can hold off retweeting or posting who is holidaying where, private flights that are inbound from Portugal and general speculation from Turkish newspapers and ITK accounts with 10 followers then we will  all probably all be much happier mentally.

Socrates once said "I know that I know nothing" but what I do know is that if ITK doesn't stand for "I'm Tony Khan" then it probably isn't even worth contemplating at this stage.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/06/no-one-is-itk/

WhiteJC

Parachute payments and the 'yo-yo' club phenomenon between the Premier League and Championship

Stefan Johansen and Tom Cairney scored when Fulham last played Norwich in 2018

Friday, 30 March 2018. In the pouring rain in Norfolk, goals from Stefan Johansen and Tom Cairney secure a 2-0 win for the visitors at Carrow Road.

This is the last meeting between Norwich City and Fulham - two clubs who have been each other's mirror image ever since.

Current Premier League players Ryan Sessegnon, now at Tottenham, and James Maddison, of Leicester, featured that day but, since then, Fulham have gone on a journey of five consecutive promotions and relegations, while Norwich have spent the past four seasons alternating between the top two leagues.

While one glided through the country's second tier the other fought, toiled, flapped and failed in the top flight - as they alternately "yo-yoed" between the two leagues.

Switch. Repeat.

This is part of a wider trend that has become apparent since parachute payments were introduced in 2006, a series of solidarity payments made from the Premier League to stabilise clubs in the first three years after relegation while they adjust to lower revenues.

It is a system used in all of Europe's top five leagues except in Germany,where Bundesliga and 2 Bundesliga clubs share a joint TV broadcast deal.

"The phenomenon of yo-yo clubs is definitely real," says football finance expert Dan Jones.

"The phenomenon of there being a huge cliff edge between the Premier League and Football League is very real.

"And then the question becomes - if a team is going off a cliff edge, is giving them a parachute the right thing to do? And if you do, does it double up the trampoline and spring them straight back up again? The evidence is: sometimes, but not always."

The payments are calculated as a percentage of money earned by the Premier League and at the moment roughly equate to £41m in the first season following relegation, £34m in the second season and £16m in the third, according to football finance lecturer and author of The Price of Football, Kieran Maguire.

In the first seven seasons of parachute payments - up to 2012-13 - Birmingham City were the only club to be relegated from the top tier twice.

Some clubs 'take a holiday in the Championship'

Subsequently up to now, that number has grown to 12 teams and Norwich have been relegated four times - including in their past three Premier League seasons - while Watford, West Bromwich Albion, Burnley, Hull City and Fulham have all suffered three relegations since parachute payments began.

Since 2013, nine of the 27 relegated clubs have bounced back with immediate promotions, while 12 of the 27 promoted teams in that period have gone down in their first year.

Maguire, who is also the co-host of The Price of Football podcast, says "it could be argued we have a 24 or 25-club Premier League and some of them are just taking a holiday in the Championship", and this can be put down in part to his "rule of three".

"It's partly due to the way money is distributed in the Premier League itself. Promoted clubs are going to start off on a negative compared to not just the big six clubs [but the rest of the teams in the league]," he says.

"The 'big six' in the Premier League earn on average three times the revenue of the other 14.

"The other 14 clubs in the Premier League earn roughly three times the revenue of clubs who get parachute payments. The clubs who get parachute payments get three times the revenue, on average, of the other clubs in the Championship. The other Championship clubs get approximately three times the revenue of the clubs in League One."

Maguire believes parachute payments are currently too high and could be reduced by up to one third in value.

Brentford begin their second season in the Premier League away to Leicester on Sunday, 7 August, after finishing their first top-flight campaign in 13th.

The west London club beat Swansea at Wembley to earn promotion in 2020-21 and have not yet benefitted from any parachute payments.

While in the Championship, the Bees were at "a big financial disadvantage" to then-former top-flight teams such as Aston Villa and Newcastle, says director of football Phil Giles.

Championship clubs generate roughly £7m a year in TV money, Maguire says - £34m less than the three relegated clubs from the previous season.

"On the one hand I understand it [having parachute payments] because what you don't want to see is clubs going under and having their money cut so drastically that they're struggling to exist and no-one wants to see football clubs going out of business," says Giles.

"What you don't want to see is clubs then being put at an artificial advantage, where it's not really being used for what it was intended for. But actually it's allowing clubs to go and spend a lot more money on transfer fees and new players to help them bounce back up to the Premier League.

"It's that element of unfair competition, I think, is potentially the issue."

Giles, who has been at the club for seven years, says Brentford are halfway through a two-year strategy to cement themselves as a mid-table Premier League club but admits provisions such as relegation clauses in player contracts have been put in place.

He believes the parachute payments could be phased out over a long period if established Premier League clubs had enough time to prepare for the eventuality.

"Another way is allowing parachute money but only for certain purposes to make sure they are genuinely stopping clubs from struggling, as opposed to outspending their competitors," he adds.

"There is a bit of a pattern of teams going down and coming back up fairly quickly, so it does seem that there's a bit of unfair competition there and it's tough for teams in the Championship."

'Some clubs look to work between their means - many don't'

Another proposal that has been pitched by the EFL is scrapping parachute payments altogether and pooling money with the Premier League, which would see 75% of the funds go to the top tier and the remaining 25% be distributed in the EFL.

This has similarities to one the EFL rejected when the Premier League was first created 30 years ago, Maguire says.

This has the backing of Millwall chief executive Steve Kavanagh, who believes the scheme would "make the league much stronger, fairer, and competitive".

Millwall finished ninth in the Championship last season, taking their play-off push to the final day of the season.

"Research suggests that over the last five years clubs who receive parachute payments are three times more likely to earn promotion than those who don't, so that tells you all you need to know about the impact on the competitiveness and fairness in the division," Kavanagh, who was recently elected on to the EFL board, says.

"Millwall, just as an example, will receive £40m less than a parachute club. How can we adequately compete with that?

"Some clubs - like ourselves - will always look to operate within their means but many don't, which is a result of the climate within which they're trying to achieve success."

In a letter to culture secretary Nadine Dorries

in April, Premier League chief executive Richard Masters said the organisation was due to review the parachute payments system.

"It is our view that it is not as simple as more money to the EFL automatically leading to greater sustainability," he wrote.

"We know from experience this is not the answer. However, collective reform, paired with new and robustly enforced financial controls, is the right way to address the current challenges.

"We need the EFL Championship to continue to produce competitive teams that thrive when promoted to the Premier League and we need many teams in the Premier League vying for the top places and aspiring to European competition."

Much of the debate around the relevance of parachute payments focuses on financial sustainability against competitive balance.

"I think that the most important of those two is the financial sustainability and the reason that I think that is because, if you look at the trauma of a Bury or a Macclesfield, where the club is completely lost to the community, that is a bigger and worse trauma than the playing field being uneven in terms of final league position," Jones, formerly of Deloitte says.

"The preserving of the clubs, making sure they're there for the next generation, is the most important thing to me.

"In terms of the risk of the Championship getting too predictable, the competition is strong enough to cope with that. Whether that was Brentford getting promoted or, this season, Luton's performance in getting to the play-offs, you've still got drama going down to the last day of the season, you've still got drama through the play-offs.

"Again in the Premier League, you've got the relegation battle [Everton, Burnley and Leeds], Champions League battle [Tottenham and Arsenal] and a title battle [Manchester City and Liverpool], excitement, uncertainty, jeopardy - it's not dull or predictable."

English football may never be dull, but if the same teams keep getting relegated and promoted every year, it might just get predictable.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61809071

WhiteJC

Fulham agreement to sign midfielder 'practically' done – Has already spoken with Marco Silva

As Fulham are still to make the arrival of João Palhinha official, the Portuguese media continues to bring some updates on this transfer.

According to newspaper Record, the midfielder has already spoken to Cottagers' manager Marco Silva, who had a chat while the player is still in the Maldives, where he's spending his holidays.

The outlet insists there's an agreement in principle, following an offer from Fulham worth €20m.

The report recalls that the Whites had initially put on the table a bid for €18m plus €2m in performance bonuses, and following a rejection from Sporting, they agreed for the amount to be paid at once.

Record adds that Palhinha is set to make €2.5m gross per season, which is twice as much as what he used to earn at Sporting.

They say the agreement is 'practically' done, as the payer 'should' accept the personal terms, but that will only happen after his holidays, meaning Fulham fans will need to wait a little longer.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/fulham-agreement-sign-midfielder-practically-done-already-spoken-marco-silva/

WhiteJC

PL2 Div 1: The Star Men ⭐️

With Steve Wigley's Under-23s returning to the top flight of Academy football, we've taken a look at the most promising youngsters from each of next season's opponents. Please note this list is in order of last season's final standings.

Manchester City: James McAtee

In a side that no doubt has talent running throughout, it's difficult to look past 19-year-old midfielder James McAtee. The skilled youngster picked up the PL2 Player of the Season Award after scoring 18 and providing seven assists in 23 matches as the young Citizens marched to a second consecutive league title.

Back in September, James made his Premier League debut, coming on for Cole Palmer (who is another standout Academy product) as City beat Everton 3-0 at The Etihad.

Honourable mentions: Cole Palmer, Liam Delap, Roméo Lavia, Oscar Bobb

West Ham United: Armstrong Oko-Flex

Since joining the Hammers from Celtic last summer, winger Armstrong Oko-Flex has set the league alight with his skills, speed and creativity. He averaged pretty much a goal every other game last season (11 in 21) while also grabbing a couple of assists. It took him no time at all to get going in East London, with the dangerman bagging a hat-trick in his first PL2 appearance back in August as they defeated Arsenal 6-1.

There have been calls from fans to get him some First Team minutes, but as of right now he is still waiting for that big opportunity. He should be a good test for our 23s next season.

Honourable mentions: Sonny Perkins, Conor Coventry, Aji Alese

Arsenal: Folarin Balogun

In an Academy that has produced an array of quality products recently, Folarin Balogun is arguably the most promising future star. After bagging 13 goals and three assists in just 11 games, the forward joined Championship side Middlesbrough last season and impressed during his spell there.

He scored two senior goals in the 2020/21 Europa League before going on to make his first Premier League start on the opening day of last season against Brentford. He'd be a welcome test for our defenders, but whether he'll play much PL2 football next season is up for debate.

Honourable Mentions: Charlie Patino, Miguel Azeez, Marcelo Flores

Liverpool: Tyler Morton

A versatile player across the midfield, Tyler Morton has been with the Reds since the age of seven. He made his senior debut back in September, when Liverpool defeated Norwich City 3-0 in the Carabao Cup. The 19-year-old picked up a goal and four assists at Under-23s level from defensive midfield last season and featured seven times in total for the First team across a variety of competitions.

Honourable mentions: Kaide Gordon, Conor Bradley

Crystal Palace: Jesuran Rak-Sakyi

The young Eagles were impressive in their first season after promotion from the Second Division, finishing fifth. Winger Jesuran Rak-Sakyi's numbers were amongst the best in the league, with the pacey winger scoring 18 times in 25 appearances whilst also adding six assists. A particularly strong February saw him pick up the Player of the Month Award, before later being nominated for the Player of the Season Award upon the campaign's completion.

He picked up four First Team appearances last season under Head Coach Patrick Vieira, and will be hoping for plenty more opportunities next season.

Honourable mentions: Joseph Whitworth, Malachi Boateng

Manchester United: Shola Shoretire

This old-school winger has already picked up a solid amount of First Team experience after regularly shining in PL2 games. Just days after signing his first professional contract in February of last year, Shoretire made his senior debut in the league, before later becoming the club's youngest ever player to appear in a European competition.

He picked up six goals and eight assists in his 21 PL2 appearances last season. He might find himself playing at a higher level next season, but if not, he'll be another strong opponent.

Honourable mentions: Alejandro Garnacho Ferreyra, Amad Diallo, Alvaro Fernandez

Tottenham Hotspur: Dane Scarlett

The dangerous centre-forward earned himself a Premier League debut during Jose Mourinho's managerial spell in North London, having scored 17 goals in 16 Under-18 games during the 2020/21 season. He has made the jump up to PL2 level and will likely feature next season for Spurs.

Scarlett's performances have seen him feature heavily for England Under-19s, with the forward bagging an impressive 10 goals in just nine games.

Honourable mentions: Alfie Devine, Kion Etete

Leicester City: Ben Nelson

The 18-year-old centre-back has enjoyed a rapid rise through the Leicester Academy ranks and now represents England at Under-18s level. With 18 PL2 appearances under his belt last season, he is sure to play a big part once again.

Honourable mentions: Sammy Braybrooke, Terrell Pennant, Chris Popov

Blackburn Rovers: Jack Vale

With 13 goals and three assists under his belt in 14 games, Jack Vale is one of Blackburn's biggest threats. He made four First Team appearances last season and has carried his strong level of performances over to the international scene. The 21-year-old was directly involved in six goals in just eight games for Wales Under-21s.

Honourable mentions: Ashley Phillips, Jake Garrett

Brighton & Hove Albion: Zak Emmerson

Zak Emmerson is sure to feature for Brighton's Under-23s next season after an emphatic campaign with their Under-18s. The bagsman scored a whopping 18 goals in 22 league games and has reportedly caught the attention of boss Graham Potter.

Honourable mentions: Samy Chouchane

Everton: Stanley Mills

The right-back, who has also been implemented further up the pitch, has spent time training with the First Team after an impressive season within the Academy. After standing out for the Under-18s, Mills spent last season at the highest Academy age group and made 25 appearancs, scoring three and assisting four. He has the ability to take a man on and is composed once getting into dangerous positions, as he showed in our FA Youth Cup clash last season.

Honourable mentions: Isaac Price

Chelsea: Charlie Webster

The technical midfielder stepped up to the Under-23s in just his second season as a scholar, after playing a pivotal role for Ed Brand's Under-18s side. He later played all six UEFA Youth League games for Chelsea, who finished second in their group. A very handy player on the ball and one who is probably expected to play a huge part next season in Division One.

Webster put in a strong performance against our 18s in the Premier League Cup Final, sprinting through the middle before slotting fellow promising youngster Jude Soonsup-Bell through on goal.

Honourable mentions: Jude Soonsup-Bell, Lewis Hall, Harvey Vale

Wolves (newly promoted): Chem Campbell

The powerful forward is definitely one to watch closely. The 19-year-old scored nine and assisted nine last season as Wolves gained promotion after beating Stoke City in the Play-Off Final. Campbell got his first taste of senior football back in April, coming on as a substitute in the second half against Newcastle United.

Honourable mentions: Pascal Estrada, Tyler Roberts

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2022/june/23/PL2-Div-1-The-Star-Men/

WhiteJC

8th November 1890: A Fulham Defender Scores Four Own Goals for the Rangers, whilst at Tottenham the 1st Team Bow out of the London Senior Cup

On 8th November 1890, the Rangers Reserves took on Fulham at Brondesbury Park and amazingly it was reported in the West London Observer the following week that the visitors' captain had actually put the ball into his own net, not once, not twice, but four times!

'Fulham Reserves v Queen's Park Rangers 2nd – These teams met for the first time this season on Saturday last at Brondesbury Park, the ground of the latter, and the home team were left victorious by four goals to two.

The visitors arrived three short of the regular team, but found substitutes on the ground.

The game was evenly contested, but the visitors were most unfortunate, as Rumford put the ball through his own goal no less than four times!

What price for him playing for Fulham's 1st team as a forward. "He can score goals!" Notwithstanding this he played a brilliant game at back for Fulham.'

Two of the three substitutes were named as W. Andrews and Blythe respectively.

The QPR first team were also in action that day. They were up against Tottenham in a London Senior Challenge Cup replay, following a 1-1 draw at Brondesbury the previous Saturday.

Team: Schneidan, Saunders, Sturges, Spurr, Ridout, McKenzie, Druett, Schneider, Morris, McDonald, Teagle.

This match report appeared in the Sporting Life two days later:
'Tottenham Hotspur beat the Queen's Park Rangers at White Hart Lane on Saturday, by two goals to one.

The teams were evenly matched, and on the previous Saturday played a drawn game of one goal each. Upon their second meeting on Saturday the Spurs just managed to enter the third round by a margin of one goal.

The Rangers played by far the better game in the first-half, and scored the first goal, although they were one player short.

Whilst the Hotspur team lacked the combination of their visitors in the early part of the game, they improved considerably in the second-half, and scored twice.

They play more of an individual game, and although they had several opportunities of scoring in front of goal, failed through want of a proper combination.

After the Spurs had scored their first goal and equalised matters, the play was very fast, and when the second goal was placed to the Spurs' credit it seemed to stimulate them to greater exertions, and although the ball was continually in the Rangers' half they did not again score. Below is a brief description of the play.

Simpson started the ball for the Spurs, and it remained in the Rangers' half: Bassett, by a long shot sent the ball over the bar. It was in touch four times running, and then ran down into the Spurs' quarters.

Hands were given to the Rangers, and soon after a similar penalty to the Spurs. This brought the ball well up the field, but was soon returned by the Rangers, and a corner ensued.

Once again, the ball traversed up the field, and Harston had a shot at goal, but it went over. Shots were now made at the Rangers' goal but was smartly saved by Schneidan.

A corner was taken by Buckle, but went behind. The Rangers had a shot at goal, but it was saved by Walford. Then the Spurs tried to score, Baxter shot over and soon after failed a second time.

The ball was once more sent down the field, and a corner for the Rangers did not result in anything being scored.

Harston secured the ball, and had a shot at the Rangers' goal, but it rolled a few inches the wrong side of the post. Jull made a long shot over the bar.

A foul was allowed to the Rangers in the centre of the field, and soon after the ball was unpleasantly near the Rangers' goal, and shots were well saved by Schneidan.

The ball once more found its way into the Spurs' territory, and after some capital passing, Morris passed to McDonald, who scored the first goal for the Rangers after playing thirty-five minutes.

The ball after this travelled up and down the field, and repeated shots were made by the Spurs at goal, but they seemed unable to score. At half-time the score was – Rangers, one goal: Hotspur, nothing.

In the second-half the game was much faster, and after playing twelve minutes a corner ensued for the Spurs. It was nicely placed, and a goal resulted from a scrummage.

Harston scored the winning point, a regular daisy cutter, and the Spurs thus won this match as stated by two goals to one. They will now have to meet Barking on their own ground on the 22nd.'

Steve Russell

(The above advert appeared in the Kilburn Times in 1890. Thanks to Colin Woodley for unearthing the advert and the match reports)

https://www.indyrs.co.uk/2022/06/8th-november-1890-a-fulham-defender-scores-four-own-goals-for-the-rangers-whilst-at-tottenham-the-1st-team-bow-out-of-the-london-senior-challenge-cup/

WhiteJC

£18m and £40m stars tipped to seal 'dream' moves to Fulham and Wolves

Sporting Lisbon will find it 'difficult to replace' Joao Palhinha and Matheus Nunes if the midfield duo move to the Premier League with Fulham and Wolves, former Leoes ace Andre Santos tells Bola Branca.

While there will inevitably be some doubts about whether Palhinha and Nunes can make an immediate impact in English football, it must be said that sone of the Premier League's most inspired signings in recent years have arrived from the Iberian Peninsula.

Ruben Dias, Luis Diaz and Bruno Fernandes; If Palhinha can emulate their impact at Fulham, then perhaps the Cottagers can make a better fist of top-flight survival this time around.

Fulham will reportedly land Palhinha on a four-year deal worth £40,000-a-week. One of Europe's most effective defensive midfielders, the Portugal international will set Marco Silva's side back a cool £18 million.

Nunes, a more adventurous, box-to-box player, could follow in Palhinha's footsteps. The Mail believe that Wolverhampton Wanderers are in talks, with a potential £40 million offer in the pipeline.

Fulham and Wolves hope to raid Sporting Lisbon

"Matheus and Palhinha are two great players, champions at Sporting and two difficult pieces to replace," Santos says of two players who helped the Lisbon Lions win their first Primeira Liga title in 20 years back in 2021.

"But (coach) Ruben Amorim was preparing Manuel Ugarte last season, and the player responded and was at a good level. Sporting will find a good solution in case the two leave. 

"In the squad, there are quality players who can also form a good midfield. Ruben Amorim is a great coach and will find the best solutions."

It remains to be seen whether Nunes – dubbed 'one of the best players in the world' by none other than Pep Guardiola – would relish the prospect of joining an Iberian-influenced dressing room at Molineux.

Nunes is rumoured to be prioritising a club capable of offering Champions League football. Then again, as Santos points out, the allure of England may be difficult to resist.

"Everyone dreams of playing in the Premier League," Santos adds. "The league has a lot of visibility, the stadiums are always full. It's a completely different reality from the Portuguese League, where clubs need to make sales and can't keep their best players."

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/06/23/18m-and-40m-stars-tipped-to-seal-dream-moves-to-fulham-and-wolves/

WhiteJC

£20m star retires aged 29 shortly after Southampton and Fulham interest

Martin Hinteregger has announced his shock retirement from football less than two years after Premier League duo Southampton and Fulham showed an interest in the Eintracht Frankfurt ace, speaking via BuliNews.

If Hinteregger's penultimate appearance in the professional game is anything to go by, the 29-year-old centre-back still had a lot to offer.

He was outstanding as Frankfurt defeated West Ham United in the Europa League semi-finals, dominating Michail Antonio while laying the foundation for several dangerous counter-attacks with his pinpoint, line-breaking passes.

Fulham were interested in the then-£20 million-rated Hinteregger as recently as September 2020, per The Sun (06/09, page 62).

According to Sky Sports, Southampton were also in pursuit of the colossal, left-sided central defender at the time. Frankfurt, that very same summer, even turned down an £18 million bid from an unnamed Premier League club (Frankfurter Rundschau).

Now, just a few months out from his 30th birthday, Frankfurt's pre-season plans have been rocked by the news that one of the Bundesliga's most complete centre-halves will not be returning for 2022/23.

Martin Hinteregger retires aged just 29

"Last autumn I'd already started to think about retiring at the end of the season," Hinteregger explains, admitting that could not resist the chance to 'bow out' in style after helping Frankfurt win their first European title since the 1980s, even if he missed May's penalty-shoot-out victory over Rangers due to an ill-timed injury.

"I was in a difficult period on the pitch. My performances were shaky. The wins didn't feel as good anymore, and every defeat hurt twice as much.

"My improvement in the spring and our joint successes in the Europa League made me even more motivated to bow out with a great sporting success. That's why I enjoyed the Europa League victory so much, because I already knew it would be my last big victory with the fantastic fans in this city, which has become my second home. 

"I will look back on my time with Eintracht with only great gratitude and joy. (I will) continue to feel closely connected to the club and their fans, and support the team as a fan."

Hinteregger also represented Borussia Monchengladbach, Augsburg and Red Bull Salzburg, while earning nearly 70 caps for the Austrian national team.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/06/23/20m-star-retires-aged-29-shortly-after-southampton-and-fulham-interest/

WhiteJC

'I laughed': Everton and Fulham interest in £21m ace stuns pundit

Premier League duo Everton and Crystal Palace want Zaidu Sanusi and his development at FC Porto is proof of the value that can be found in the lower leagues, former Sporting Lisbon advisor Rui Barreiro tells Sport TV.

As recently as 2018/19, the talented left-back was plying his trade for a Mirandela SC side who finished sixth in the third-tier of Portuguese football.

Just three years later, Zaidu was scoring the goal that secured Porto the Primeira Liga title, netting a dramatic winner during a 1-0 triumph over bitter rivals Benfica no less. It's been quite the rise for a player who joined Porto from Santa Clara for a cool £3.6 million during the summer of 2020.

"According to what I heard before coming to the studio, FC Porto would have refused an offer of 25 million euros (£21m, for Zaidu)," says Barreiro. "I laughed when I heard that. 

"Zaidu played for Mirandela in 2018. He was not an top-flight player. He even played for Gil Vicente on loan but nobody looked at him. (In the end) Santa Clara went to get him."

Crystal Palace, Everton and Fulham want Zaidu Sanusi

Porto could soon be rewarded for their faith in the late-blooming Nigeria international. A host of Premier League clubs are reportedly willing to stump up an eight-figure sum.

According to O Jogo, Everton and Crystal Palace are keen. As are Brighton and Fulham. It remains to be seen whether any of the aforementioned quartet can succeed where West Ham failed. The London giants saw a deadline-day move for Zaidu collapse nearly 12 months ago.

"We got the message that the coach (Sergio Conceicao) wanted him to stay," Zaidu's agent said at the time. "It was unexpected as we thought he had one foot out of the club."

The jet-heeled full-back – dubbed 'the quickest player I've ever seen in my life' by Porto team-mate Toni Martinez – is one of a number of talented left-siders linked with newly-promoted Fulham. The Cottagers have seemingly cooled their interest in Real Betis' Alex Moreno. Though Luca Pellegrini of Juventus and Javi Galan of Celta Vigo remain on the radar.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/06/23/i-laughed-everton-and-fulham-interest-in-21m-ace-stuns-pundit/

WhiteJC

Taye Ashby-Hammond seals Stevenage loan

Fulham goalkeeper Taye Ashby-Hammond has turned professional after signing a new deal at Craven Cottage – and also agreed to join League Two side Stevenage on a season-long loan.

The 23 year-old, who starred at Boreham Wood last season as the non-league side beat AFC Wimbledon and Bournemouth to reach the fifth round of the FA Cup, has been at Fulham for thirteen years and was on the bench for the League Cup tie against Leeds United last September. He kept sixteen clean sheets in 29 games for the Hertfordshire outfit and has sealed a move into the EFL as a result.

Ashby-Hammond told Stevenage's official website: "I am really excited to get going. There's a good group of lads here, and my conversations with the manager have been positive. To get my first step into the Football League is a challenge that I need to face, and I'm ready for it. I learnt and developed a lot as a player last season, and I'm looking forward to continuing that with Stevenage".

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/06/taye-ashby-hammond-seals-stevenage-loan/

WhiteJC

Fulham in Mbabu talks

Fulham have opened talks with Wolfsburg about signing their Swiss international Kevin Mbabu, according to a Sky Sports report this evening.

The newly-promoted Premier League club's continued pursuit of a right back has led them to a familiar face in Mbabu. Fulham were reportedly close to signing him four years ago and the Wolfsburg defender is now back on their radar. The 27 year-old, who has previously been on the books of both Newcastle United and Glasgow Rangers, is one of three potential options they are considering to strengthen their defence.

Neco Williams is understood to Silva's first choice at right back but nailing down a deal with Liverpool to land the Welsh international on a permanent basis after his successful loan spell at Craven Cottage is proving problematic at present. Mbabu, an experienced defender who won back to back Swiss titles with Young Boys, has won twenty two caps for Switzerland.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/06/fulham-in-talks-with-mbabu/

WhiteJC

Fulham and Forest fancy Kean capture

Fulham and Nottingham Forest are interested in signing Italian international forward Moise Kean, according to reports from his homeland tonight.

Juventus have an obligation to sign Kean for £25m this summer under the terms of the loan deal that took him from Everton to Turin in August. The 22 year-old was a disappointment even though the Bianconeri stormed to the Scudetto, scoring just six goals in 42 appearances. Kean had scored seventeen times in 41 matches whilst on loan at PSG the previous season, but a return to Paris this summer appears unlikely.

Italian journalist Gianluca Di Marzio claims that Kean, who was signed at Goodison Park by Marco Silva, is not convinced by the idea of joining a newly-promoted Premier League club and is weighing up his other options at this point.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/06/fulham-and-forest-fancy-kean-capture/

WhiteJC

Silva looking at Kean reunion

Fulham have been linked with Juventus forward Moise Kean according to Gianluca Di Marzio. The Italian international has become something of a journeyman of late but it's amazing to believe he's still only 22! Kean who had a loan spell at Everton scoring only 2 goals may feel a move back to the Premier League would be a good opportunity to prove the doubters wrong.

When your CV has teams like Juve and PSG on it there must be something about you right? Kean would add a bit of versatility as he is capable of playing from the left side of attack as well as through the middle as a center forward.

Marco Silva will know the type of player Fulham would be getting if they did add the Italian as he signed him when he was in charge of Everton, if Silva can get Kean for the right price then it could turn out to be a good acquisition for Fulham this Summer.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/06/silva-looking-at-kean-reunion/

WhiteJC

Sky Sports: Fulham in talks to sign former Newcastle United talent sold too soon in 2017

Kevin Mbabu could be on his way back to England, with Sky Sports revealing that Fulham are now in talks to sign the former Newcastle United full-back.

The Swiss international has spent the last three seasons in Germany with Wolfsburg, but Sky's Dharmesh Sheth reports that Fulham are keen to bring him to Craven Cottage following their return to the Premier League.

Mbabu actually showed glimpses of real promise during his brief spell in our first-team – he pocketed Pedro on his Premier League debut back in 2015 and looked to have a promising blend of pace and power – however he was sold to BSC Young Boys in 2017 following a successful loan spell.

Many felt Rafa Benitez made a mistake allowing him to leave, and some of those calls have been justified given he's went on to play Champions League football and become a regular for his country alongside Fabian Schar.

Should the 27-year-old end up at Fulham, he'll join former Mag Aleksandar Mitrovic at Craven Cottage and be one to watch our for heading into the 2022/23 season!

https://www.nufcblog.co.uk/2022/06/24/sky-sports-fulham-in-talks-to-sign-former-newcastle-united-talent-sold-too-soon-in-2017/

WhiteJC

Pro Deal And Loan For Taye Ashby-Hammond

Goalkeeper Taye Ashby-Hammond has signed a new one-year professional contract, with the club holding an option to extend by a further 12 months.

The 23-year-old stopper has also agreed to join League Two side Stevenage on a season-long loan. Head Coach Steve Evans will be hoping Taye can help sure up a defensive unit that struggled last season.

Taye has enjoyed plenty of success out on loan over previous years, and only recently helped Boreham Wood to a historic cup run which included victories over AFC Wimbledon and then Bournemouth. His sublime double save at the Vitality Stadium saw him grab the headlines.

Everybody at Fulham wishes Taye continued success out on loan.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2022/june/23/Pro-Deal-And-Loan-For-Taye-Ashby-Hammond/

WindyCity

Quote from: whitejc on June 24, 2022, 09:16:15 AM
No one is ITK...
If, like me, you anticipated an early promotion meant that this time round we would have a smoother transition with lots of early arrivals then clearly you have let the optimism of last season cloud your judgement of the club you know all too well.  If you want to be optimistic about our current predicament then it should be said that our inability to secure a single new recruit so far is probably due to the fact we are in the market for a higher calibre of player and not just scrambling around for the free transfers and deadwood from other teams that are on the move. In that sense it will take longer to get these people over the line

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/06/no-one-is-itk/

Just got a bit of a chuckle over that, higher calibre players taking longer, perhaps all last minute again?  FFC still took too long to get players across the line when the hunt was for lower calibre players, free transfers and deadwood, etc.  So, whether FFC clinches early or late promotion, regardless of how much time they have to make necessary moves, it's still gonna take all the allotted time if not beyond that into the next window.  Just found that a bit ironic.  No biggie, really.  And yes, it has been very frustrating waiting to get some of these key acquisitions actually over the line!  I think we can all agree on that!

Just having a bit of fun whitejc.  No ill intent here.  Again, thanks for your daily reporting of various news pertaining to our beloved FFC.  Have been religiously following since the off season began.  Thanks again!!!!