more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff - 01/07/22...

Started by WhiteJC, July 01, 2022, 12:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Denis Odoi, a new star for the Black Stars

A good work ethic saw the Belgian-Ghanaian defender go further in his football career than expected. Now he has the chance to play for Ghana in the World Cup in Qatar.

In many ways, Denis Odoi defies convention. The relatively short defender is one of the most powerful players in the air. As a student, he was often in trouble with his teachers but would later study towards becoming a teacher while playing top-flight football in Belgium.

And even though his teachers never thought that he would turn professional, he went on to play in the most watched league in the world, the English Premier League, and later this year he will represent Ghana in the Fifa World Cup.

That he has made it as far as he has is remarkable enough. But even more so is the fact that he has represented two different countries at international level. He made his debut for Ghana's Black Stars in March, at the age of 33, helping the four-time African champions qualify for the 2022 World Cup by overcoming archrivals Nigeria on away goals in a two-legged play-off.

Born to a Belgian mother and a Ghanaian father, the Club Brugge man grew up wanting to play for the Red Devils. By his own admission, he is "of course more Belgian". But after making his international bow for Belgium in 2012 in a friendly against Montenegro, he found the door of the national team shut to him.

He believes this was down to a preference for the country's bigger clubs, a selection policy that alienated him at the time as a player at modest Lokeren. This, combined with his father leaving when he was 12, sparked a desire to explore his Ghanaian roots. "As a little boy I sometimes thought about that," he says. "You are naturally curious because you know that a part of yourself comes from Africa."

It took a decade for Odoi to finally wear the colours of his father's country. "No chance," Odoi laughs when asked if he saw himself qualifying for the World Cup with Ghana. "I didn't expect to be here. The process took a very long time for me to get everything sorted. I think you talk about three to four years.

"After the last Africa Cup of Nations (Afcon), I didn't get called up, so I thought it was over. I said, maybe I'm too old. Maybe they don't want me. But then it turned out that not all my papers were done."

Two months before the game against the Super Eagles he got a call from the coach telling him that 95% of his paperwork was done, adding that if everything was in order he would be selected for the encounters against Nigeria. "And I was like, okay, if it's done, then I'll come."

A return to the World Cup
There could not have been a fiercer baptism of fire. Ghana's rivalry with Nigeria is legendary and longstanding, and the stakes were exceptionally high. The circumstances were also weighted heavily in favour of the Super Eagles, who had not only performed better at the Afcon but also had managerial continuity going for them.

"They told me [about the rivalry]," Odoi says. "But I think you need to live here to know how real the rivalry is. I knew it was two West African countries that are very close to one another. This big rivalry is about jollof [rice] as well.

"We were fighting for the World Cup. Obviously, it's sweet that you win against Nigeria, but no matter which country it was, we needed to win those two games."

And win they did.

Despite Black Stars boss Otto Addo being in the post for less than two months, Ghana battled through, securing a return to the World Cup for the first time since 2014.

"If you look at the Nigeria squad, they had bigger names. But names are not everything. You can have big names, but you need to be a good team, a good squad. And you need to be a cohesive group. I think that, over the two games, we showed them that we as a team were good, and we fight for each other," he adds.

'Good character'
Odoi was key to the outcome, slotting in right away and starting both matches. His inability to converse in the native Ghanaian dialects has, apparently, not been much of a hindrance, and whatever misgivings people had about his commitment have been decidedly addressed.

Former international John Paintsil was full of praise for the versatile Club Brugge man in light of his performances for the Black Stars. "He is a good player. I knew him four years ago when he played for Fulham and I must say he is a good player with a good character," Pantsil told Graphic Sports.

"I am happy we have found a player like that because he is a great guy, a quality player and a good addition to the national team."

It is quite the testimonial for a player who many suggested viewed Ghana as only a backup option. The debate is hardly new, but with the Ghana Football Association (GFA) making public overtures toward diaspora-born players such as Tariq Lamptey and the Williams brothers, Inaki and Nico, there is a great deal of polarisation among fans of the national team.

While Odoi cannot sidestep these questions neatly, it is to his credit that he has made an effort to integrate and assimilate Ghanaian culture. That includes taking in the food – he is a fan of jollof rice, as well as doughy fufu – and being open to feedback. So far, it appears to be working.

"Obviously, Ghana is a part of me. I have a difficult relationship with my father, he is the part that is Ghanaian for me. So, this is an ideal opportunity to find out what Ghana is: the part of me that is Ghanaian and see where certain things come from, I guess.

"Everybody here is just more straightforward and will tell you as it is. But also, it's like a feeling of togetherness, everybody is open, welcoming to one another. Everybody wants to help you."

Discovering roots
The tricky task of chasing players of Ghanaian heritage to commit to the West African nation has seen the GFA receive some brush-offs lately. But Odoi – who has a psychologist for a wife, Katleen Thijs, and breaks most football stereotypes in appearance – says his commitment to the Black Stars is a big step towards self-discovery.

"I think everybody has to take his time, when he's ready, I guess. For some, it's maybe easier. I come from divorced parents, something that happened when I was 12, so then, it makes it a bit harder.

"Also, I have a family of my own. For my kids, to also tell them what part of my race that is. I look different from white people. I also have to tell them what that part is. For me, I can now show them what that part is. They look and they've watched the videos I've made here, and I guess... super excited."

A word for diasporan Africans seeking a chance on the continent? "I think for everybody who has roots here, take your time and discover it when you're ready," he says.

At various points in his career, Odoi has been written off as finished or simply not good enough.

After helping Fulham gain promotion to the Premier League in 2020 under Slavisa Jokanovic, Odoi found himself sidelined following the sacking of the attack-minded Serbian manager. With Fulham favourite Scott Parker in charge, he played only three times in the top flight, watching from the bench (as well as the stands on occasion) as Fulham went back down to the Championship.

With Marco Silva in charge, he rebounded to play a part in The Cottagers' promotion campaign, even though he left in February to return home to Belgium with Club Brugge.

"I didn't expect to have the career I had in total, to have the career I had at Fulham. I think everybody that knows me, especially for the last few years, knows what kind of guy I am," he says. "Every day in training, I show up and I give 100%. I work hard. I know the player I am. I am not the most gifted player, but every day I show up 100%. I guess it shows you that with hard work, you can get far."

The discipline lesson
With Odoi now flying the colours of Ghana, it is unclear if the father of three is looking to mend things with his own father.

"My father and I, we don't talk any more. I blame him for certain things, like when I became a professional football player and made good money at Anderlecht and was annoyed with him because all he asked was, 'Can I have money?'" he told The Times in January.

Nicknamed The Professor, Odoi also reflects on the chapter that changed his upbringing. "My dad would go out [at night] and come back whenever it suited him," he says. "My mom made a decision to marry my dad also because she was pregnant with me and my sister. She was, 'Okay, I put myself in this situation so I have to take responsibility.' That's also why I'm very disciplined and take responsibility.

"When I was 12, I went to a tournament with Anderlecht, came back and my parents were divorced. My mother raised me and my sister. I know how hard she had to work in a fabric store and another store for us to have a decent life. So that's why every day, when I go to training, it would be disrespectful to not work hard and not respect her efforts."

Come November, Odoi stands as good a chance as anyone of starring for the West African nation of his father at the World Cup in Qatar. The Black Stars are drawn with Portugal, Uruguay and South Korea, a tough but by no means insurmountable challenge.

"I think it'll be unbelievable," he says. "When I grew up, I played with so many talented football players. I was not the favourite to go as far as I did. And for me, at my age, to go to the World Cup, it would be like a cherry on the cake, I guess."

https://www.newframe.com/denis-odoi-a-new-star-for-the-black-stars/

WhiteJC

Fulham Could Miss Out On Attacking Target

Premier League returnees Fulham could miss out on Israel international Manor Solomon to Ligue 1 side Nice, according to the Sun.

Solomon made 26 appearances in all competitions for Ukrainian side Shakhtar Donetsk, scoring four times and assisting twice in the curtailed 2021/22 season.

The winger, who prefers the left flank though equally at home on the right, was set to move to Craven Cottage for a sum of £7m.

The 22-year-old has now been offered a higher wage by the Allianz Riviera side, who have also offered the Donetsk side a higher sum.

Nice, who recently reappointed former coach Lucien Favre, are trying to convince Solomon to snub Marco Silva's side and agree a switch to France instead.

After finishing last season in fifth place, Nice qualified for the Europa Conference League playoff round and are set to lose Justin Kluivert at the end of his loan spell from Roma.

The Cottagers had hoped to replace Fabio Carvalho with the Israeli winger, after the youngster followed in Harvey Elliott's footsteps to Anfield.

Fulham are close to sealing the transfer of Portuguese midfielder Joao Palhinha ahead of Wolves and have also made a bid for Manchester United's Brazilian midfielder Andreas Pereira, currently on loan at Flamengo.

https://insidefutbol.com/2022/06/30/fulham-could-miss-out-on-attacking-target/565785/

WhiteJC

Man United outcast Andreas Pereira says he wants to STAY at Flamengo despite interest from Fulham and admits he 'loves' the club following impressive loan... after he smashed in a wonder strike in Copa Libertadores

Manchester United's Andreas Pereira has insisted he wants to stay at Flamengo
    The 26-year-old midfielder Pereira is on a year's loan at the top-tier Brazilian side
    Premier League new boys Fulham have made an £11m bid for the United outcast
    But Pereira has said he wants to remain at Flamengo after scoring a wonder goal
    In June, United scouts sent to watch another player raved about his showing

Andreas Pereira has insisted he wants to stay at Flamengo amid transfer interest from Fulham.

The Premier League new boys, who won the Championship last season, have bid £11million for the Manchester United midfielder.

But Pereira, 26, said he wants to remain at the Brazilian top-tier side, where he has played 53 games and scored eight times - after scoring a wonder goal in the Copa Libertadores.

The Belgium-born Brazilian smashed in a stunning dipping 25-yard strike in the 17th minute as Flamengo defeated the hosts, Colombian side Deportes Tolima, 1-0 in their round of 16 first leg on Thursday.

He said: 'I'm not the one who decides - it's up to Man United. I would like to stay at Flamengo, but it's not in my hands. I'll see what's best for me and the club.

'I love Flamengo. We will soon speak and decide. My relationship between me and Flamengo has always been very good. This year was incredible for me.

'If it doesn't work out, I'll always leave with my head held high. I love the club, I love Flamengo, I'm Flamengo. I will come back in the future.'

Pereira has made 75 appearances for United in all competitions across his eight years at the club, scoring four goals, but has only spent four seasons at Old Trafford, with loans to Granada, Valencia, Lazio and now Flamengo.

The one-cap international has one year left on his Red Devils contract but is an outcast at the club, having not played since the 2019-2020 campaign.

United hope Pereira will agree personal terms with Fulham, as the promoted side's bid of £11m represents the best deal financially for United.

Earlier this month, Red Devils scouts sent to watch his team-mate Joao Gomes raved about Pereira's performance, saying he was the best player on the pitch.

Flamengo head coach Dorival Junior said in June: 'I hope he stays. Players of this level, players with this potential, are few in Brazil. I have no doubt that this boy can still grow a lot, he can evolve a lot. How will it happen? I don't know.

'But it would be really nice if we could hold onto this kid because he has a lot of qualities. He is a player that draws attention in any way. He has growth potential, players of that level are scarce at the moment within this country.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10968587/Man-United-Andreas-Pereira-says-wants-STAY-Flamengo-wonder-strike-Brazilian-side.html

WhiteJC

Report: Newcastle bid for 'world-class' player, Fulham expected to finalise deal soon

According to Turkish outlet Habervakti, there's been an update in the race for the signature for Ugurcan Cakir.

The Turkish goalkeeper has been the subject of so much speculation over the past few years after a string of standout performances in the Super Lig.

Liverpool, Manchester City and Leeds have all been linked in the past, while Newcastle and Fulham have been the two clubs that are apparently looking at him this summer.

It must be said, with all due respect, reports in the Turkish press can be rather sensationalised at times, so it may be worth taking these reports with a pinch of salt.

However, the latest from Habervakti suggests that Newcastle and Fulham have bid €20m (£17m) for the goalkeeper, while the report states that Fulham are set to finalise this signing soon.

The Newcastle link is an intriguing one. The Magpies have just signed Nick Pope – presumably to be their new number one, so there may not be much weight to this rumour. However, with Cakir previously being described as 'world-class', there's an argument to be made that he'd actually be a better option than Pope.

Fulham, on the other hand, are known to be in the market for a goalkeeper. Bernd Leno is reportedly a target, while Tomas Strakosha has also been on the Whites' radar.

Cakir has been strongly linked to Fulham for weeks, and with this report stating that a deal could be finalised soon, it may not be long before the Cottagers have their new number one in place.

Whether or not this transfer comes to fruition remains to be seen, but this situation is certainly one worth keeping an eye on.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/06/30/report-newcastle-bid-for-world-class-player-fulham-expected-to-finalise-deal-soon/

WhiteJC

Report shares update on Birmingham City's prolonged interest in released Fulham man Alfie Mawson

Released Fulham man Alfie Mawson 'remains an option' for Birmingham City this summer, reports BirminghamLive.

Mawson, 28, will officially become a free agent tomorrow with his Fulham contract expiring today.

The centre-back joined the London club back in 2018 for a fee of £15million. But his time at Craven Cottage didn't pan out as planned with Mawson featuring just 48 times in league competitions, with only six of those coming in the last campaign.

Injury has hampered Mawson's career, but he could land himself an exciting move this summer.

Birmingham City were linked with a move for Mawson in January and The72 previously revealed that Blues had informally agreed a three-and-a-half year deal with the Englishman, but the club didn't have the financial capacity to make the move happen.

Now officially set to become a free agent, BirminghamLive write that Mawson 'remains an option' for Lee Bowyer's side this summer but says that he won't be short of options.

https://the72.co.uk/2022/06/30/report-shares-update-on-birmingham-citys-prolonged-interest-in-released-fulham-man-alfie-mawson/

WhiteJC

Villarreal Tickets

Tickets in further areas of the ground have now been made available for Fulham's pre-season friendly against Villarreal on Sunday 31st July.

With sales initially only available in the new Riverside Lower Tier, home supporters can now also purchase seats in the following locations:

Hammersmith End, Blocks H3, H4 and H5
    Johnny Haynes Stand, Blocks C, CL, D, DL, E, EL, F, and FL

Tickets can be purchased online at tickets.fulhamfc.com, by phone on 0203 871 0810 (Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm) or in person from the Fulham FC Ticket Office.

Away fans can purchase in the Putney End, Block P4 - these tickets are available to purchase over the phone only.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2022/june/30/villarreal-tickets/

WhiteJC

Player preparing to move to Fulham 'this week' – Personal agreement reached on Friday

We've lost count of how many times we covered stories from Portugal saying João Palhinha is travelling to England in the 'coming days' or 'next few hours', but that's really what they're saying once again on Thursday.

The midfielder's transfer to Fulham is now detailed by A Bola, who remains confident that it's close to happening.

Following all the recent issues regarding the agents' commissions from the move, the outlet claims this obstacle 'will be overcome', with the representative about to sort the problem, and the player will go to England 'in the coming days'.

It's said Sporting and Fulham have an agreement for Palhinha worth €20m plus €2m in bonuses, and the agreement between the cottagers and the player was reached 'on Friday'.

The midfielder is set to sign a four-year deal with the Cottagers, and will make €2.5m, which is twice as much he used to earn at Sporting.

Now that agents Hernan Reguera and Jorge Mendes sorted out the commissions, the transfer is closer than ever.

A Bola sounds very confident that Palhinha is moving to London 'still this week', and Sporting now have the green light to go after his replacement, which is Barcelona's Francisco Trincão.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/player-preparing-move-fulham-week-personal-agreement-reached-friday/

WhiteJC

Player 'in demand' with Fulham 'above all' – Club want 'a few more' million than €10m valuation

With Juventus seemingly closing in on the signing of Andrea Cambiaso at left-back, the departure of Luca Pellegrini looks more and more likely.

It's no secret the defender has been in talks with Premier League clubs, with Fulham most recently reported as being in the lead in the race with West Ham.

This idea continues on Thursday, as Gazzetta dello Sport bring the latest on the matter, explaining to their readers that the player 'is in demand' in the Premier League, 'above all' by the Cottagers.

Having secured a return to the Premier League, Fulham are keen to improve their squad to avoid another immediate return to the Championship.

Pellegrini reportedly weighs at around €10m on the Juventus books, and it's pointed out the Serie A side would like 'a few million more to give the green light to the player'.

That means Fulham would be looking at a fee of around €12m+, you would think, to get any transfer over the line.

This falls in line with a previous report that Marco Silva's side were ready to invest €12m in the defender.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/player-demand-fulham-club-want-million-e10m-valuation/

WhiteJC

Fulham player on Gareth Ainsworth's radar as Wycombe Wanderers eye new signings

Wycombe Wanderers managed to defy the odds again last season by creeping into the play-off places and very nearly sealing a spot back in the Championship.

In the end, it was Sunderland who claimed the victory and the Chairboys had to settle for at least another season in League One.

However, Gareth Ainsworth is well aware of what needs to be done to get a team promoted from this division and has done it with Wycombe in the past – so will no doubt try and make the right moves this summer.

One name who has been mentioned is Alfie Mawson and speaking to Sky Sports (via Bucks Free Press) the manager refused to rule out a move, claiming the club are 'in contact' with the player.

There is every chance that Mawson could be on the move this summer too, with the 28-year-old struggling to break into the Fulham team last season. He managed only six Championship games in total with one start and now that the Cottagers have been promoted up to the Premier League, he could get even less action next year.

That means the side could part ways with him this offseason – and Wycombe could be a potential landing spot for the defender.

However, when asked about any potential deal to bring Mawson to the club, Ainsworth admitted that he had spoken to the player but not that he had held any kind of transfer talks with the 28-year-old over a switch to the Chairboys.

He said: "I'm not saying that I haven't spoken to Alfie as we're friends, and we've been friends since he was here all those years ago and he was phenomenal for us. He has had a tough time with knocks, but, a fit Alfie Mawson?

"Wow, what a player he is. We're in contact and watch this space."

The Verdict

Gareth Ainsworth is a man who knows just how to get the best out of a team on a shoestring budget and has managed to get Wycombe promoted before doing just that.

He came close again in the last campaign but couldn't quite get there. The boss though will know exactly the kind of players he needs to get the Chairboys firing and Mawson could certainly help them out considering his experience of playing at a high level in the EFL.

Considering he has played in the Premier League for two separate clubs, it would be quite the drop but quite the coup for Wycombe if they could pull off a deal for the defender and get the best out of him.

Mawson though has struggled with injuries, so a deal could be a gamble. If he is joining and ends up getting injured early on, it could be a waste of a big wage by Wycombe when they don't have too much money in the first place. Ainsworth though has earned plenty of trust and with a deal not yet ruled out, it looks like it could certainly happen.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-player-on-gareth-ainsworths-radar-as-wycombe-wanderers-eye-new-signings/

WhiteJC

Alessio Romagnoli rejects Fulham offer

AC Milan defender Alessio Romagnoli has reportedly turned down the opportunity to sign for newly-promoted Premier League club Fulham.

According to a report by Italian outlet Il Messaggero, as relayed by Tutto Juve, Alessio Romagnoli has decided against joining newly-promoted side Fulham, rejecting their €4 million-a-year contract offer. The 27-year-old defender is instead focussing on joining another Serie A club, with Juventus and Lazio said to be interested.

Romagnoli is an AS Roma youth product and rose through the ranks at the Serie A club to make a first-team debut for them in the 2012/13 season. He made a total of 14 appearances for the Giallorossi before he was sent to Sampdoria on loan in 2014.

The centre-back impressed for Sampdoria, making 31 appearances for them across competitions before AC Milan came calling. The Rossoneri got Romagnoli on board in the 2015 summer transfer window and he straightaway slotted in the centre of defence for them.

The 27-year-old was Milan's first-choice right-back until the 2019/20 season, following which he fell down the pecking order and is now nearing an exit. Romagnoli's contract with the Serie A champions runs down today, and he will be free to join any other club on a Bosman move.

Fulham, who recently gained promotion to the Premier League, were seriously interested in the defender and had stepped up their effort to sign him recently. They even submitted a contract offer for the 27-year-old, but the defender seems to be intent on staying in Italy.

The report states the Cottagers offered him a contract offer worth €4 million per year, which he turned down. Romagnoli is being monitored by Serie A giants Lazio and Juventus, and he is said to be keen on joining the former. Meanwhile, Fulham will now be left to look for other central defensive options.

The Londoners are short-staffed in the centre-back department and are eager to add reinforcements. Marco Silva currently has Tosin Adarabioyo, Terence Kongolo and Tim Ream as his three centre-back options and wants to add at least one defender ahead of the new season. Romagnoli would have been a great choice for Fulham due to his leadership qualities and experience of playing at the highest level.

http://www.thehardtackle.com/transfer-news/2022/06/30/alessio-romagnoli-rejects-fulham-offer/

WhiteJC

Crawley Town sign former Chelsea and Fulham academy defender after Swindon Town release
Crawley Town Football Club has signed Dion Conroy on a two-year deal following his release from Swindon Town.

The 26-year-old captained the Robins to a Sky Bet League Two play-off campaign last season and made 41 appearances in all competitions. The defender racked up over 100 appearances for the fellow league two outfit, scoring two goals in the process.

Conroy began his career in the capital as a product of the Fulham and Chelsea Youth Academy's.

Joining at the age of 12, Conroy made over 100 appearances for the Blues across different age categories. During his time at Stamford Bridge, the defender featured in Uefa Youth League campaigns and won the U21 Premier League in the 2013/14 season.

Before joining the Robins, Dion spent the first half of the 2016/17 season on loan at Aldershot, where he made 15 appearances. The defender's loan was cut short in January so he could join Swindon on a permanent deal for an undisclosed fee. After recording an impressive 123 appearances for the Wiltshire club, Conroy was released at the end of the 2021/22 season.

Speaking on Conroy's move to the Reds, manager Kevin Betsy said: "We are over the moon with the signing of Dion Conroy. He is a very experienced defender in this division. He guided Swindon to a play-off campaign as captain last season, so his leadership qualities are clear to see. He is a fantastic person with a brilliant knowledge of the game. We had to see off numerous teams from this division and higher so it is a real cop for us. This shows the level of players that we can attract to this football club. I'd like to thank the owners for their continued backing, which has allowed us to sign players of Dion's quality."

Commenting on his move to Crawley, Conroy said: "I am super happy to get the deal over the line. This has been brewing for the last couple of weeks, so it feels great to finally get it done. I can't wait to meet the lads tomorrow and get started with training. The manager is super ambitious with all of the changes going on, and it feels like a great place to be. I think the club is only heading in one direction."

https://www.sussexexpress.co.uk/sport/football/crawley-town-sign-former-chelsea-and-fulham-academy-defender-after-swindon-town-release-3752298

WhiteJC

Fulham Keenest On Defender As Club Have Clear Price In Mind

Fulham are the club keenest on Juventus defender Luca Pellegrini, with Monza having cooled their interest due to the Turin side's asking price.

Pellegrini's future at the Turin giants is under the scanner as he is heavily linked with leaving the club this summer.

The Bianconeri are closing in on a move for left-back Andrea Cambiaso and are open to letting Pellegrini go in the ongoing window.

Serie A new boys Monza have enquired about him, while he is also wanted at clubs abroad.

West Ham boss David Moyes wants reinforcements at left-back and Pellegrini is a name under consideration.

However, according to Italian daily Gazzetta dello Sport, Juventus want a fee in excess of €10m for Pellegrini and it is Fulham who are the club keenest on him.

Monza see Juventus' current valuation for Pellegrini as too high, but Juventus are clear on their asking price.

It remains to be seen whether Fulham put in an offer for Pellegrini and how much they are prepared to put on the table.

https://insidefutbol.com/2022/06/30/fulham-keenest-on-defender-as-club-have-clear-price-in-mind/565896/