watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

DUFFY JOINS ON LOAN - OFFICIAL

Started by sunburywhite, August 05, 2022, 11:33:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keithh

Positive signing - also that he's a tall defender who'll be good for set pieces in the opponents area.

Steeeeeeeeeed

Always good to have an Irishman in the team.

filham

Yes a solid signing but not the outstanding centre back any of us had in mind. I think perhaps it is a desperate signing to provide cover on the bench for Ream and Tosin.
Good luck Duffy and welcome to the Cottage.

RaySmith

Quote from: filham on August 05, 2022, 10:06:54 PM
Yes a solid signing but not the outstanding centre back any of us had in mind. I think perhaps it is a desperate signing to provide cover on the bench for Ream and Tosin.

An experienced Prem defender -  just a desperate, cover signing?

filham

Well, that is half a dozen new players signed before the big KO, must be a Fulham record.

Tk will now relax and maybe come up with a surprise  bumper bargain on window closing day. The new players are in position over to Silva to make them perform.

FFC1987

Quote from: RaySmith on August 05, 2022, 10:11:58 PM

I keep seeing this saying, experienced EPL defender but that kinda negates the fact he was ok to decent at start of last year before being injured then couldn't get game time once back. Prior to day was, quite dire for a Celtic but as mentioned, personal problems probably had a serious impact on that and prior to that he struggled to get into Brighton side. So really, his stock is very, very low right now. Let's hope he can find form and help us out but let's not pretend this isn't a risk signing if we aren't going to bring in real quality in the next week or so. There's lots to be at least dubious about here.

EN1 FFC

Will it be a case of learn on the job or will Silva allow the Center backs to train together before throwing Duffy into the mix. It's why Silva needed them in before July.
For me CBs have to form partnerships and work in tandem and get an understanding with the back 4 and keeper.

CheshireWhite

I'm also curious to know if Duffy is a 'panic signing' considering how quickly it has occurred. That said, he brings PL experience, we need a CB and he comes across positive in his interview!

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 05, 2022, 12:00:41 PM
Another leader and Warrior with height and a physical presence, and he only has to travel up the M23.

Shane Duffy has great statistics, which is something Diop doesn't have. Great Loan reminds of Roger Brown who was determined to win all 50/50 balls and talents would have been more recognised in this Statistics Era.

b+w geezer

Quote from: FFC1987 on August 05, 2022, 10:16:16 PM
So really, his stock is very, very low right now.
A suitable description for someone who played 15 + 3 Prem games last season?

Deeping_white

?s=21&t=yvfFuOli3K0nUypa1OXrXg

Anyway our manager who knows what he's doing was really enthused about him being here so yeah

Milo

Quote from: Deeping_white on August 05, 2022, 11:37:50 PM
?s=21&t=yvfFuOli3K0nUypa1OXrXg

Anyway our manager who knows what he's doing was really enthused about him being here so yeah

Probably just wants the numbers in the squad.

Know little about Duffy but seems to be a decent reserve CB in times of need.

Certainly doesn't fill the glaring hole we still have at CB.. what are the Khans doing! It's been 6 years or more with the same problem and the closest we've got has been J Andersen.

FFC1987

Quote from: b+w geezer on August 05, 2022, 11:35:36 PM
So really, his stock is very, very low right now.
A suitable description for someone who played 15 + 3 Prem games last season?

Yes. You conveniently left out the part where he was injured, then couldn't get back in. With 2 struggling seasons prior to that. I think that's a sufficient statement to suggest his stock is low hence Brighton, negotiating so quickly to allow him to leave.

WestSussexWhite

I keep seeing this saying, experienced EPL defender but that kinda negates the fact he was ok to decent at start of last year before being injured then couldn't get game time once back. Prior to day was, quite dire for a Celtic but as mentioned, personal problems probably had a serious impact on that and prior to that he struggled to get into Brighton side. So really, his stock is very, very low right now. Let's hope he can find form and help us out but let's not pretend this isn't a risk signing if we aren't going to bring in real quality in the next week or so. There's lots to be at least dubious about here.

You say he struggled to get a game before that at Brighton. He was player of the season for them in 2019. And has played more than 100 games in the PL. That doesn't happen unless you have something about you. He started 18 games for Brighton last season in a midtable team

The Rock

I'm part Irish so I approve!

Seriously, alarm bells had to be piercing TK's ears and on paper could have done far worse. The bar is set low and I have high hopes. It won't take much and he's seemingly a no-nonsense player that is better than we have. Welcome to the camp.

FFC1987

Quote from: WestSussexWhite on August 06, 2022, 12:21:42 AM

You say he struggled to get a game before that at Brighton. He was player of the season for them in 2019. And has played more than 100 games in the PL. That doesn't happen unless you have something about you. He started 18 games for Brighton last season in a midtable team

He struggled enough that they sent him out on loan the following season to Celtic. They had a mixture of injuries in their backline and he stepped up but the minute he was fit again, he barely played. I'm not claiming he's never been decent, but again, pretending like he hasn't had struggling seasons for 3 years now is a little disingenuous.

St Eve

It could also be a cunning move. We now have a cb so less pressure on getting others and negotiations become easier

Woolly Mammoth

Well he's only had to travel 50 odd miles, it's not as though we have fished him out of Division 2 of the Mongolian & District Sunday Football League.

it's a fresh start for him and a challenge if he fancies it which i think he will as he seems that kind of character, and he will have a presence.

Not only have we nothing to lose, but much to gain and i would imagine at least one other strapping Centre Back will follow.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

JEEVES

Happy with Duffy. He's proved he's premier league capable. Which is something Ream has never done. I feel like we have more chance of getting something out of the game if we put him straight in. But that's just my opinion.

Carborundum

The most telling part of his interview was his thoughtful response an invitation to describe the type of defender he is: "I don't want the ball to go into my goal".

It sort of tells you what he isn't, which is a playmaker, like Ream is.  Silva kind of backs that up with remarks about SD bringing a different skill set. 

All of which is OK because if anyone thinks we stay in this league by getting the ball forward through Tim Ream's (or a replacements) creativity should really know better.  We have to win the battle of midfield and for now, in Paulinha and Perreira we trust.

The other sobering thing about SD is that he fits squarely into a large category titled "monstered by Mitro".  No shame in that, but let's be realistic.

He is what he is, 30 is no age for a centre back, if it all clicks then fine, if not we will soon know.

If Silva could turn back time, I bet he'd keep Michael Hector rather than have Shane Duffy.  What's really going on here is that Silva has gambled big time by turning so many players loose.  Our owners are going along with that, haven't forced him to keep players, but it's a sellers market out there and the window doesn't shake out until the final week.

None of which stops us cheering Shane Duffy on.  I love a proper defender whose main attacking thought is "hope we get a corner soon"