Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (06.01.11)

Started by White Noise, January 06, 2011, 07:17:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Dempsey delighted by Cottagers' industry

Published 23:00 05/01/11

By Neil McLeman

Clint Dempsey has claimed Fulham will continue to climb the table after hitting rock bottom on Boxing Day.

The Cottagers were booed off by their own fans after the 3-1 home defeat to the Hammers. But with Mark Hughes' job under threat, his team have responded with two wins out of three to climb out of the bottom three.

Dempsey, who scored his seventh goal of the campaign in the 3-0 win over West Brom on Tuesday, believes his side have now set the standard for the rest of the season.

"The West Ham game was very frustrating but we have shown character to bounce back after that," said the American. "We have to keep that high standard going and that type of attitude we showed is going to get the points we need.

"In the last three games we've set a standard with commitment and work-rate. We have to continue to do that. It will get us into a safer position and we can start to look up rather than down. Hopefully we can do that and go on a run.

"I think you'll see us starting to play better football. It's difficult to play when things don't seem to be going your way.

"And we have players like Bobby Zamora and Moussa Dembele to come back. As soon as we get a full team, we'll see what we're capable of doing."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-star-Clint-Dempsey-has-claimed-they-will-continue-to-climb-the-table-after-hitting-rock-bottom-on-Boxing-Day-provided-they-keep-up-their-current-level-of-commitment-article664991.html#ixzz1AElcmKp

White Noise

Wales try to lure back Giggs and Davies

Published 23:00 05/01/11

By Phil Cadden

Gary Speed reckons Wales should groom Ryan Giggs for a crack at succeeding him as national boss.

New Wales boss Speed revealed Giggs is unlikely to add to his 64 caps for the Dragons despite the prospect of returning for the Euro 2012 qualifier with arch rivals England on March 26.

But Speed has offered the Manchester United legend, 37, his first coaching role by helping the next crop of young Welsh players burst through to senior international level.

"I spoke to Ryan and he doesn't know what his future plans are yet," said Speed, 41. "I'm not sure he'll be coming back to play but if we can get Ryan on board and involved with the infrastructure in anyway it would be great.

"If I move on or go elsewhere somewhere along the line, then if Ryan is already involved, he might be the perfect one. We need good up-and-coming Welsh managers to go and take the reins."

Wales' most-capped outfield player takes charge for the first time in the Four Nations Cup clash with Republic of Ireland on February 8.

Speed is expected to be without ex-skipper Craig Bellamy for the trip to Dublin as he nurses a long-standing knee complaint, but the Cardiff striker will be ready for the showdown with the Three Lions at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium.

Former Leeds, Everton and Newcastle midfielder Speed is also holding out hope of an international return by Fulham's Simon Davies.

"I've spoken to Simon already and he's going to think about it," he said. "When I was a player, I made that decision to retire and it's a personal decision - and as big a decision I made as a footballer.

"I hope he comes back, but we'll wait and see. I don't have any regrets from my career. But if there's one thing I would change then I wouldn't have retired from international football when I did."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Gary-Speed-reckons-Wales-should-groom-Manchester-United-legend-Ryan-Giggs-for-a-crack-at-succeeding-him-as-national-team-boss-article665023.html#ixzz1AEm6I7O6

White Noise

Fulham frustration as jinxed Johnson is injured again

Published 16:02 05/01/11

By MirrorFootball

Mark Hughes rates Andrew Johnson as unlikely to be fit for Saturday's FA Cup tie against Peterborough after suffering a minor hamstring tear.

Johnson was withdrawn from Fulham's 3-0 victory over West Brom as a precaution and Hughes is anxious not to take any risks with his injury-plagued striker.

"We have to be careful with Andy," Hughes said.

"He has had games in close succession, he had tightness in his hamstring and was a little sore on Monday. We took him for a scan and it came back that he had a grade one tear.

"At a push he could have played but if he had torn it completely it would be a five, six week injury and we couldn't afford that. "It's usually eight to 10 days for a grade one."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-striker-Andrew-Johnson-has-been-hit-by-a-new-injury-problem-and-is-unlikely-to-play-in-the-FA-Cup-tie-against-Peterborough-because-of-a-hamstring-tear-article664855.html#ixzz1AEmQ4Er

White Noise

http://www.fulhamweb.co.uk/news/Kagisho-Dikgacoi-on-his-way-out-of-Fulham.aspx

Kagisho Dikgacoi on his way out of Fulham

last updated Wednesday 05th January 2011, 4:14 PM   

Fulham and Bafana Bafana midfielder Kagisho Dikgacoi is on his way out of Fulham during the current transfer window, after attracting huge interest from both Germany and Portugal.

Dikgacoi has failed to command a regular place at Fulham since coach Roy Hodgson left to join Liverpool, making one appearance as substitute in the English Premiership this season.

The former Golden Arrows midfielder's contract expires at the end of the season, but he has confirmed to KickOff.com from England that he may be in the colours of new club before the end of the month.

"My contract with Fulham expires at the end of this season but there is still an option to renew it. At this moment I am not concerned about my contract, I am more worried about game-time.

"There is a great possibility that I may leave Fulham during the transfer window; it may be permanent or on loan.

"There are a couple of teams in England, Germany, Portugal and Greece that have shown interest in my services.

"I can't mention their names at this moment but next week I will be in a better position to talk about my future," Dikgacoi says.

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6635600,00.html

Hughes won't risk Johnson

Striker missed West Brom win due to hamstring injury

Last updated: 5th January 2011   

Mark Hughes admits he does not want to take any risks with Andrew Johnson's fitness after leaving the striker out of Fulham's 3-0 win over West Bromwich Albion.

Johnson returned from a lengthy lay-off back in October, but Hughes is determined to take a cautious approach regarding the forward.

He picked up a hamstring injury earlier in the week and Hughes opted to omit the former England international from his plans for Tuesday's vital win over West Brom.

The 29-year-old will also miss the FA Cup third round tie with Peterborough United on Saturday as Hughes does not want Johnson to be sidelined for several weeks.

Sore
"We have to be careful with Andy," said Hughes.

"He has had games in close succession, he had tightness in his hamstring and was a little sore on Monday. We took him for a scan and it came back that he had a grade one tear.

"At a push he could have played but if he had torn it completely it would be a five, six week injury and we couldn't afford that.

"It's usually eight to 10 days for a grade one."

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6635790,00.html

Rovers target old boys

Blackburn want Duff, Bentley and Santa Cruz back

Skysports.com understands that, as well as Roque Santa Cruz and Damien Duff, Blackburn also want to bring David Bentley back to the club.

Rovers' new owners Venky's have a plethora of targets and their bid for Ronaldinho has made headlines, but they are also looking at bring back a number of former players to spearhead their new era at Ewood Park.

Their interest in Santa Cruz, who only left for Manchester City last year, and Duff is already known, and now they have also targeted Bentley.

Duff is a Blackburn product and played over 200 games for the club before departing for Chelsea in 2003. Now with Fulham, via Newcastle, he could be offered the chance to return to Lancashire.

Likewise Bentley is going to be given the chance to move back to Ewood Park, where he shone during a three-year spell before joining Tottenham in 2008.

And Bentley may not be the only Spurs man on his way to Blackburn, as they are also interested in taking Robbie Keane, who is being tracked by a host of Premier League clubs

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6636375,00.html

Zuiverloon slams Pantsil tackle

Baggies defender upset with challenge that saw Cech join injury list

West Brom defender Gianni Zuiverloon has slammed John Pantsil for the tackle that forced Marek Cech out of Tuesday's 3-0 defeat at Fulham.

The Baggies were firmly in the game when Cech was left writhing in agony after going in for a sliding challenge with Pantsil.

The Slovakian left-back needed treatment but could not continue and had to be replaced by Nicky Shorey, adding to Albion's injury problems.

Cech's injury will be assessed ahead of Saturday's FA Cup third-round game at Reading.

But Zuiverloon, who was handed his first Premier League start of the season in a makeshift defence, was furious with the tackle, claiming it could easily have caused serious damage.

Nasty
"It was a very nasty tackle right on his shin and it could have broken his leg," said the Dutch defender.

"It was something we were very mad about. It was right by the linesman and I think he should have seen it."

Fulham took charge after Cech's injury blow, with Simon Davies opening the scoring in first-half stoppage time before both Clint Dempsey and Brede Hangeland headed home from Davies corners in the second half.

But Zuiverloon, who has been recalled from a loan spell at Ipswich, admitted the Baggies could not blame their fifth straight defeat on the officials as Roberto Di Matteo's men failed to cope with Fulham's aerial threat.

"We can't blame the referee for everything," he added. "Defeat was down to us and we should have been sharper with the defensive stuff and the set-pieces."

White Noise

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/01/05/the-next-6-weeks/

The next six weeks

Filed under: General — timmyg @ 6:17 pm

On yesterday's Sky telecast, before the feed got shut down, Andy Gray mentioned that the next 5-6 weeks are critical for every club in the league.

Now, this isn't a revelation on a E=MC2 or Kristin Shepard-shooting-J.R. scale. But there is a large element of truth to it.

The winter transfer window will have come and gone. Nearly two thirds the season will have been played. The third and fourth round of the FA Cup will have been played, with the 6th round — the quarter finals — just around the corner. For the few clubs left in the Carling Cup, there's the semi-finals and finals. And those still in Europe, the knockout stages begin in mid-February. That's quite a bit on the table.

After seeing Fulham and Wolves labor to a 0-0 draw last April, I wrote on my former blog about how come spring the quality of play tends to deteriorate for five different reasons. Well, 6 weeks from yesterday sees us halfway through February. So although it's not quite spring, many a team can find themselves in one, if not more, of those categories by then.

Here's our schedule for the next 6 weeks, as of yesterday:

1/4      West Brom W 3-0
1/8      Peterborough United (FA Cup 3rd Round)
1/15     at Wigan Athletic
1/22     Stoke City
1/26     at Liverpool
1/29*   TBD (FA Cup 4th Round)
2/2       Newcastle United
2/5       at Aston Villa
2/14     Chelsea

There are some pretty key games there. Going out in the FA Cup to Posh in the 3rd round probably won't help morale. Nor would a defeat at the DW, or at home to Stoke. The trip to Liverpool and home match against Chelsea are an emotional toss-up. A loss? Eh. A win? Ecstasy.

If we can get at least 7 points from those league games and make it to the FA Cup 5th round, I'll be pleased. And it should bode well for our season. I'd much rather see us in the 'exhaustion' or 'cruise control' category than 'survival' or, gasp, 'relegation'.

I'll post the two teams that are above and below us after today's fixtures later today. The bottom half of the table is currently a morass with some teams having several games in hand over others, and I'd rather not have a post be dated within a few hours.

Update: okay, after tonight's wacky results that leave only two points separating 14th from 20th, I'm not going to post each team's schedule. But nonetheless, what are your thoughts?

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6636642,00.html

AWOL Ba in London

Hoffenheim striker seeks English deal

By Graeme Bailey - Follow me on Twitter @graemebailey   

Hoffenheim striker Demba Ba has arrived in England as he looks to seal a move to the Premier League.

The Senegal international, who spent time with Watford as a youngster, is looking to move to England.

He was due to link-up with his club Hoffenheim, who have travelled to La Manga in Spain for a mid-season training camp.

The German club confirmed he was AWOL and now Ba has arrived in the English capital for talks with various interested parties.

"I dont know [what is happening], I am just keeping myself fit," Ba told Sky Sports News.

When asked if he was refusing to return to Hoffenheim, he replied: "I would never do that."

Offers
West Ham have been leading the chase for his signature, amid claims they wanted him on loan with a view to a £6million deal.

However, reports suggest that the likes of Tottenham, Fulham and Blackburn could be set to launch counter offers.

His agent Habib Sissoko admits they are hoping a deal will be struck.

"Hoffenheim have received offers from several clubs and now we are waiting for final deal," he told Sky Sports News.

"I think we are going to sort it out in a few days.

"It is not a secret, many clubs here want him. I will talk more in a couple of days."

Asked if West Ham were favourites, he replied: "Demba loves West Ham."

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jan/05/clint-dempsey-fulham-fighting-spirit

Clint Dempsey hails fighting spirit as Fulham leap up to 13th

• Fulham escape relegation zone after West Brom win

• 'We have to get on a positive run and keep it going'

Jamie Jackson guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 5 January 2011 22.29 GMT

Clint Dempsey, right, celebrates after scoring Fulham's second in their 3-0 victory over West Brom on Tuesday. Photograph: Ian Kington/AFP/Getty Images

Clint Dempsey has hailed the fighting spirit that allowed Fulham to leap six places to 13th position in the league after their 3-0 win over West Bromwich Albion on Tuesday.

Dempsey scored a 56th-minute header and Brede Hangeland sealed the victory nine minutes later following Simon Davies's first-half strike. West Brom and Fulham each have 22 points but the inferior goal difference of Roberto Di Matteo's team means they stand three places below.

After losing to West Ham United on Boxing Day, Fulham defeated Stoke City 2-0 away and, although Tottenham Hotspur subsequently beat them 1-0 on New Year's Day, Dempsey was encouraged by the performance at White Hart Lane.

"We thought we could have got something out of the Sunderland game [which was drawn 0-0] and then we had the West Ham game which was a must-win and we lost," Dempsey said. "We had to regroup and what better way to do that? A win away from home against Stoke, we played well against Tottenham, and then we took advantage of West Brom not being at full strength with three points we needed.

"The atmosphere at the club has just been fighting. We're in a situation and have to stick together and work hard and show our character on the pitch. That's what we've done. The West Ham game was very frustrating then everyone bounced back after that. I think we showed character and a willingness to move forward and win in the last three games. We have to keep that standard going and hopefully keep going."

Dempsey admits that potential relegation is on the Fulham players' minds: "You know what the situation is. Players look at the table and you see where you are. You sense it around the crowd with the frustration. But we have got ourselves out of the situation, it is a tight table, and we [have to] get on a positive run and keep it going because points are hard to come by in this league and in the last three games we have six. We have to keep going."

White Noise

Mark Hughes considering bringing Brescia battering ram Andrea Caracciolo to Fulham

By Sportsmail Reporter Last updated at 4:17 PM on 5th January 2011

Fulham have been linked with 6ft 5in Brescia striker Andrea Caracciolo as Mark Hughes steps up his search for an imposing target man.

The west London club are keen on 6ft 8in Ivory Coast striker Lacina Traore, but have been made aware that Liverpool are also keen on taking him from Cluj.

Caracciolo is reluctant to leave Brescia for anyone but his favourite team - AC Milan - but there seems little prospect of a dream move to the San Siro.

Tall order: Caracciolo (centre) could cause Premier League defenders problems

Italy's top sports paper Gazzetta dello Sport say Fulham are interested in a January move and it would be difficult for cash-strapped Brescia to resist a decent bid.

Juventus are considering him now that Manchester City have all but won the race to sign their top target Edin Dzeko from Wolfsburg.

However, the Turin giants have other names higher on their wish list and Fulham could take advantage.

Brescia admit they don't want to sell Caracciolo, who is key to them fighting relegation from Serie A this season.

The 29-year-old struck 24 goals in 35 appearances last season to inspire promotion from Serie B and is their top scorer with five in 15 appearances in this campaign. 

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1344342/Mark-Hughes-considering-bringing-Brescias-Andrea-Caracciolo-Fulham.html#ixzz1AEqj65zm

Tom

Quote from: White Noise on January 06, 2011, 07:21:10 AM

http://www.fulhamweb.co.uk/news/Kagisho-Dikgacoi-on-his-way-out-of-Fulham.aspx

Kagisho Dikgacoi on his way out of Fulham

last updated Wednesday 05th January 2011, 4:14 PM   

Fulham and Bafana Bafana midfielder Kagisho Dikgacoi is on his way out of Fulham during the current transfer window, after attracting huge interest from both Germany and Portugal.

Dikgacoi has failed to command a regular place at Fulham since coach Roy Hodgson left to join Liverpool, making one appearance as substitute in the English Premiership this season.

The former Golden Arrows midfielder's contract expires at the end of the season, but he has confirmed to KickOff.com from England that he may be in the colours of new club before the end of the month.

"My contract with Fulham expires at the end of this season but there is still an option to renew it. At this moment I am not concerned about my contract, I am more worried about game-time.

"There is a great possibility that I may leave Fulham during the transfer window; it may be permanent or on loan.

"There are a couple of teams in England, Germany, Portugal and Greece that have shown interest in my services.

"I can't mention their names at this moment but next week I will be in a better position to talk about my future," Dikgacoi says.

Whatever dude! Good riddance.......
Fulham for life!

Tom

Quote from: White Noise on January 06, 2011, 07:20:18 AM

Fulham frustration as jinxed Johnson is injured again

Published 16:02 05/01/11

By MirrorFootball

Mark Hughes rates Andrew Johnson as unlikely to be fit for Saturday's FA Cup tie against Peterborough after suffering a minor hamstring tear.

Johnson was withdrawn from Fulham's 3-0 victory over West Brom as a precaution and Hughes is anxious not to take any risks with his injury-plagued striker.

"We have to be careful with Andy," Hughes said.

"At a push he could have played but if he had torn it completely it would be a five, six week injury and we couldn't afford that. "It's usually eight to 10 days for a grade one."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-striker-Andrew-Johnson-has-been-hit-by-a-new-injury-problem-and-is-unlikely-to-play-in-the-FA-Cup-tie-against-Peterborough-because-of-a-hamstring-tear-article664855.html#ixzz1AEmQ4Er
Jinxed my ass. He is a walking glass statue.
Fulham for life!

White Noise

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3333036/Its-Spurs-v-Kop-for-Adebayor.html

It's Spurs v Kop for Adebayor

By NEIL CUSTIS

Published: Today

MANU ADEBAYOR is in the middle of another tussle - between Liverpool and Tottenham.

The want-away Manchester City striker, who had a training ground bust-up with Kolo Toure on Tuesday, is a loan target for both clubs.

City do not want to let him go to Spurs, who could end up battling them in the race for the title or Champions League places.

But they would send the Togo hitman to Liverpool for the rest of the season - as long as the Kop pay his entire £160,000-a-week wages.

Adebayor, 26, cannot understand why City rarely pick him - but they remain worried he could be a huge hit at Tottenham.

The Eastlands outfit paid Arsenal £25million for the player 18 months ago and would accept half that to be shot of him permanently.

Liverpool are also ready to rescue Stephen Ireland from Aston Villa.

The midfielder, frozen out by Villa boss Gerard Houllier, would cost around £4m.

And Stephen Warnock is also headed for the Villa Park exit, with Fulham leading the race for the England left-back.

White Noise

West Ham target Demba Ba furious with Hoffenheim after accusing German club of back-tracking on £6m asking price

By Matt Barlow

Last updated at 5:13 PM on 5th January 2011

Hot water: Demba Ba is trying to push through a move to the Premier League

West Ham target Demba Ba is incensed that his club Hoffenheim appear to have broken a promise to let him go if they received an offer in excess of £6million.

Ba rejects the allegations from Hoffenheim's managing director Ernst Tanner that he has gone on strike.

Instead the 25-year-old claims Tanner has gone back on his word after making it clear the Senegal international striker would be allowed to move to England if the German club's valuation was met.

It was a verbal agreement struck when Ba signed a new contract last year amid interest from Bundesliga rivals Stuttgart.

The Hammers are believed to have lodged a £6m bid to sign Ba during this transfer window but it was rejected before the team flew to Spain for training during Germany's winter break.

Ba did not join his team-mates on the flight, prompting accusations that he had withdrawn his labour, but his advisor Saif Rubie posted on his Twitter account:

'Demba Ba has not gone on strike. He is in the middle of a dispute with his club due to false promises from his club.'

The striker, who has scored 37 goals in 93 games since joining Hoffenheim from Mouscron in Belgium, four years ago, spearheading their promotion to the Bundesliga in his first season, is now understood to be on his way to England to try and force through a transfer.

Fulham, Blackburn and Stoke also interested.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1344378/West-Ham-target-Demba-Ba-furious-Hoffenheim-tracking-6m-asking-price.html#ixzz1AFHMfcXN

White Noise

Stepping Up

Thursday 6th January 2011

Mark Schwarzer's involvement in the Asian Cup 2011 with Australia has not only handed David Stockdale the chance to impress over the course of the next month, but there is another young goalkeeper at Fulham waiting in the wings for his chance to impress at First Team level.

20-year-old Academy Graduate and Philippine international Neil Etheridge will act as Mark Hughes' second choice goalkeeper over the next few weeks and the youngster is clearly delighted to have made the next step in his development.

"Of course I'm excited that it's [First Team involvement] become quite regular now," Etheridge told fulhamfc.com. "Obviously I understand that Stockers [David Stockdale] and Mark Schwarzer are in front of me but I'm really happy to be number two at Fulham right now."

Last week Fulham Manager Mark Hughes stated that he has the personnel within his ranks to provide adequate cover in Schwarzer's absence and Etheridge has clearly been boosted by the faith shown in him by Fulham's Management Team.

"I knew this period was coming up for quite a while and I was quite confident that the Club wouldn't bring in another goalkeeper and that's obviously given myself and Stockers tremendous confidence. It puts more trust in us and I speak to Kevin Hitchcock (FFC Goalkeeper Coach] a lot and he tells me how I'm doing.

"He's [Hitchcock] more my mentor and by the sounds of things he's [Mark Hughes] quite happy with me even though it's a big responsibility to put me on the bench at a young age."

Etheridge is no stranger to playing on the big stage, having performed in front of international crowds with the Philippines over the past two years.  That experience, combined with a maturity beyond his years, will stand the keeper in good stead should a First Team opportunity present itself over the next few weeks.   

"I was away for the majority of December on international duty," Etheridge explained. "Before the Philippines had never really qualified for anything big and this was the South East Asian competition where a lot of the bigger teams compete. It put us more on the map in football terms.

"For me, playing in front of crowds of 40, 80 and 110 thousand people was an experience I shall never forget. That sort of experience matures you as a player, having to adapt to the scenario and situation very quickly. I've never played in front of crowds like that so it was a new experience for me.

"Being on the bench in front of 30 or 40 thousand people is very different from playing a game and stepping onto a pitch in front of that many people. It's a completely different atmosphere – they take everything to heart and it's [football] a really strong passion of theirs.

"Stockers has done well and all credit to him because he played really well on Tuesday night against West Brom. He's always played well whenever he's had to step in for Mark. He's never made any mistakes and I hope to do the same when I get my chance. I hope to get my chance eventually but I'm happy with the situation as it is right now.

"You have to prepare yourself mentally and it's different for me because if I've got a Reserve game I'll usually be starting and if I go away on international duty I know I'll be starting. The scenario is that I know I'll be on the bench but I have to be prepared at every moment to go on.

"Anything can happen in football and it can change very quickly, whether it's a sending off or an injury of some sort, I have to be ready at all times."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/January/EtheridgeOpportunity.aspx#ixzz1AFZoaZuy

White Noise

Inside Fulham Podcast

Simon Davies on beating the Baggies 5th Jan 2010

Wed, 5 Jan 11

Duration:11 mins

We hear from a frustrated Mark Hughes after that loss at Tottenham, and a much happier manager following the emphatic home win against West Bromwich Albion. Plus Simon Davies on getting the goal scoring started against the Baggies.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/iffc

White Noise

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/fa_cup_preview_posh_ready_for_a_fight_1_2229822

FA Cup preview: Posh ready for a fight

Posh manager Gary Johnson. Picture: Alan Storer/Peterborough ET

By Alan Swann

Published on Thu 06th January 2011 09:40 AM

GARY Johnson wants Peterborough United to leave Craven Cottage after their big FA Cup tie against Fulham on Saturday with no regrets.

The Posh boss accepts that his side face a tough task at the home of Premier League opposition, but he's determined his players will leave nothing behind on the pitch.

Posh were criticised 12 months ago for the timid way they surrendered to Spurs at the same stage of the competition, but Johnson wants his team to put on a show for a travelling army of fans which could number up to 5,000.

Johnson said: "Fulham are a good side and I watched them play extremely well in beating West Brom on Tuesday night. There's no doubt I'd rather be facing West Brom this weekend.

"But there is no point in going there just to avoid getting beaten heavily. It would be wrong to go there too open, but it would be just as wrong not to have a go at them.

"I don't want us to come away from Fulham with any regrets. If we lose we want to be able to leave the pitch with our heads held high knowing that we at least had a go.

"We have some good players who will enjoy the occasion and it's great that we are going into the game on the back of a 4-1 win. There is also a chance we won't be facing Fulham's strongest team so you never know.

"The best thing for me is the fact we'll be taking between 4-5,000 fans which will guarantee a fantastic atmosphere. We'll fill one end with supporters and hopefully we will be able to send them home happy."

Johnson reckons it's 'highly unlikely' that winger George Boyd will be available. He turned an ankle in training last weekend and missed Monday's win over Walsall.

Charlie Lee is also battling an ankle injury which kept him out of Monday's action. On loan midfielder Adam Clayton will not be allowed to play by his parent club Leeds United.

Johnson will however be able to field his new signing. Posh are expected to confirm the arrival of a Premier League reserve team striker on loan today.

Fulham have a doubt over former England striker Andrew Johnson.

White Noise

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/football-ealing/fulham-fc-ealing/2011/01/05/fulham-boss-will-ring-the-changes-for-fa-cup-clash-with-peterborough-82029-27934983/

Fulham boss will ring the changes for FA Cup clash with Peterborough

Jan 5 2011

By Jacob Murtagh

Danny Murphy

FULHAM boss Mark Hughes plans to ring the changes for Saturday's FA Cup clash with Peterborough.

Sparky's side have faced a gruelling festive fixture list with four games in 10 days as they hauled themselves away from the Premier League drop zone.

And Hughes plans to give some of his stars a much-needed rest for the visit of League One Posh to Craven Cottage, with captain Danny Murphy (pictured) among those expected to be given a break from action.

He said: "I'm going to make changes. A lot of the same players have had the big onus on them.

"We're going to freshen it up at the weekend."

White Noise

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/football-ealing/fulham-fc-ealing/2011/01/06/zamora-gives-earbashing-to-fulham-pals-64767-27941337/

Zamora gives earbashing to Fulham pals

Jan 6 2011

By Paul Warburton

Bobby Zamora

Bobby Zamora is back for Fulham – except his most telling contribution for the next month will be giving team-mates stick.

The forward has been out of sight, out of mind since he broke his leg in September during the 2-1 win over Wolves. But Mark Hughes aims to fix that by bringing Zamora back to the fray if only to shake up training sessions with verbal earbashings to all who fall within earshot.

The manager added: "We're going to add him to training ground warm-ups and keep him in around the group.

"His character always adds something, and when he's in sight of the players he'll be able to give them a bit of stick.

"It's been a while since they saw him – and it will help reintegrate him with them."

The player's rehabilitation is 'bang on' schedule' after Zamora was crocked by Karl Henry – a tackle later referred to indirectly by Danny Murphy when the midfielder criticised Wolves, Stoke and Blackburn for going over the top in 'pumping' up their players.

Hughes added: "There have been no complications for Bobby. It's now about getting movement back into the leg which has been a bit stiff, but that will come as he trains more."