News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Could have /should have been 6. Instead it's 2 .......

Started by howitis, August 13, 2022, 06:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davew

Quote from: howitis on August 13, 2022, 08:28:18 PM
Quote from: davew on August 13, 2022, 06:57:20 PM
Exactly Lighthouse, could easily have been 0 points, 2 points is a good return for the first 2 games, imagine being a Manure supporter? Don't fancy playing the Bees next week, another point against them will be a good result!

Sorry but your wrong. A draw next week will not be a good result.... 3 games no win ...

Not wrong at all, just my opinion as yours is. At the moment we have got 2 more points than I expected in our first 2 games and a good start, really expected us to have 2 point after the first 5 games which might still be the case, hope not obviously!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

AnotherOldgit

The trouble with draws is the first defeat is immediately treated by the press as "no wins in x games". The sooner we get a win the better!

FFC1987

I'm in two minds about this. Whilst I think 2 points from these two games is ok, performances/opportunity warranted more. Missing key chances/penalties seriously damaged us last time. I just hope this isn't going to bite us like it did before. We build on two draws with a win shortly then great, but draws got us relegated before. We do need to pick up wins soonish.

Bryanthebroom

I'm not so sure. As bad as we made Liverpool look, they were still dangerous going forward and Wolves missed two open goals today. Yes we could have wound up with 3 points in either, but given how threadbare our squad is at the moment, I'm happy with 2 points.

colinwhite

The main thing is we look organized with belief. deserved at least 2points . how there can be anything negative in our start is beyond me.

roberto w6

I'm delighted with the way things have gone (albeit that my knowledge of yesterday's game is limited to the brief MOTD highlights).

Yes, we have missed chances and if we'd been lucky it could have been 6 points but equally if we'd been unlucky it could have been 0 points. Overall, I think 2 points is a fair reflection of our performance.

We have 2 points from a home game against the best/2nd best team in the league and an away trip to an established PL side. We haven't been outclassed in either match. We're unbeaten. No player has had a nightmare performance rocking confidence. What were people expecting...that we'd be focussing on being ahead of Man City and worrying about our GD compared to theirs? We have 14 games to go before the WC break - if we average 1 point per game until then, we'll be in a decent position to survive.

Looking at Brenford's demolition of Man U, we cannot play out from the back next week. If Ronaldo and Erikson (probably 2 of the best players in the world) were caught in possession leading to goals, we do not want to give them a similar opportunity. Also, from the highlights I saw, we looked susceptible to the long ball over the top out to Wolves' wide players. There were at least 3 attacks which came from that where we would have been punished if Wolves had a clinical CF. Brentford played 2 up-front (Toney and Mbeumo) and we need to think about that. Is this the game to introduce Diop and play 3 central defenders? Man U did not harrass Brentford on the ball - we must do that. Do we start with Muniz up-front next to/in front of/behind Mitro? To me, these are options worth thinking about. A shame we didn't use the dire game against Villarreal to experiment with such a formation.

Like another poster, I would not see a draw against Brentford as a disaster. Of course, I'd like to win and winning against a team who could possibly be in a relegation battle with us would make a win more important still. But giving a good account of ourselves and still being unbeaten this time next week will be more than acceptable to me. Think of the boost when our 2 first-choice wingers are fit again if we've averaged 1 point per game unitil then

COYW

toshes mate

howitis has an alter ego known to him as howitisn't and, like most of us, struggles at times to keep to the middle path.  In this condition the extremes can tend to get misstated - they are actually zero points or six points - which also tends to elimate all the possible outcomes of total points over two games viz 0, 1, 2, 4, 6 of which 2 is bang in the middle ... of course four or six would have been nicer but zero or one not so nice.  A clean sheet is always welcome especially given the abyssmal seasonal predictions that preceded the Liverpool game with Ream playing alongside Adarabioyo.   Old habits die hard but alter egos are always there. 

rebel

It's that the points were deserved, but we dreserved more against Liverpool, less so against Wolves, but that could have been an 'undeserved' victory. We didn't test Sa. But we could easily have ended up with 6 points.

I hope Mitro can 'dust' that miss off. If it 'lingers', he won't break the Prem goal scoring record.

FFC1987

Quote from: colinwhite on August 14, 2022, 06:08:58 AM
The main thing is we look organized with belief. deserved at least 2points . how there can be anything negative in our start is beyond me.

Apologies if you took my post as 'negative'. I'm happy with our start performance wise, it's just a shame the lads didn't get what I think they deserved. A 4 points in 2 start. But I do think the draws is a talking point. A loss to Brentford next (heaven forbid) and that's 2 points in 3 games and probably looking a bit squeaky bum on the table. Draws are good, but when both Liverpool and Wolves aren't at the races and we're performing well, we really need to capitalise and maximise points because no team in this division is a walkover and we won't perform to say Liverpool levels every week. Wins are important but draws only are if you get the wins to back them up. The reason really, for my caution is, all the teams I thought would struggle, are performing ok and picking up points as well. Even Bournemouth started with a win and sit in front of us so whilst there's lots to be positive about (including the fact my away shirt arrived today!), it's going to be a hard ol ride and wins are a necessity.

Somerset Fulham

The players look as though they believe they belong and it simply didn't look that way last time around. 

I am sure we will get battered more than once this season but so far we haven't looked out of place nor have we been outplayed, and that is with a semi blunted attack and some big signings still to come in too.

WindyCity

Yes it's a very unforgiving league, as the TO points out.  That said, yes, we have two points, could be zero!  Both games could have gone either way.  That said, with a team still not fully sorted/complete, the boys have put in a shift v a top club and solid mid table club and remain undefeated.  MS has managed well.  I am very encouraged so far by how FFC has played.  They've been competitive.  Fingers crossed we can remain so.  Tough next match at home.  COYW!

Caedal

We really need to find a way to beat Brentford at the weekend. We have a tough run of games after that (Arsenal, Brighton, Spurs, Chelsea) where we will do well to get more than 3 points total. We dont want to be 7 games in without a win.

We badly need to be aggressive in the market this week