watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR well done to A level graduates

Started by Andy S, August 18, 2022, 10:14:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

Record highs again but do we need more people at Uni or should we be supplying the building trade with Electricians, plumbers and brick layers. Along with security engineers

Lighthouse

The system has always been open to debate. Since Covid the exam criteria was tweaked to make passing grades look better. Not saying people don't deserve the good grades. But the exam system means less and less now.  Our high inflation and high employment rate means we are heading for a disaster. There are jobs to be had but with wages meaning less and a collapsing economy. People with high grades will no doubt find wasting time in University a better solution than hunting for jobs.

The system is a con and more so than ever.

On the other hand Fulham are only  three or four players away from a decent squad and depth they require.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

FulhamForThought

Many young people probably would be better off taking on a trade. But for whatever reason (whether it's the chance of obtaining a graduate job, putting off getting a job, or they don't see university as 'vocational' training etc.) they choose higher education. Despite industry demand.

The only issue I have is if university is not seen as a choice but "just what people do"... Perhaps it's the latest addition to the "get a job, buy a car, buy a house, get married, have x number of kids" railroad... if only "support Fulham" was on that list, then people might stop moaning about the Brentford game not selling out :023:

Marcel_Gecov

Fav part of A Level day is waiting for Jeremy Clarksons message

ffcthereligion

Quote from: FulhamForThought on August 18, 2022, 04:55:44 PM
Many young people probably would be better off taking on a trade. But for whatever reason (whether it's the chance of obtaining a graduate job, putting off getting a job, or they don't see university as 'vocational' training etc.) they choose higher education. Despite industry demand.

The only issue I have is if university is not seen as a choice but "just what people do"... Perhaps it's the latest addition to the "get a job, buy a car, buy a house, get married, have x number of kids" railroad... if only "support Fulham" was on that list, then people might stop moaning about the Brentford game not selling out :023:

Very accurate I think mate, you should post more often if you're going to come out with sense like that!

Woolly Mammoth

I studied washing machines at University and came away with 30 degrees.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Andy S

Wooly you should take a tumble for that one

alfie

Quote from: Andy S on August 18, 2022, 05:41:23 PM
Wooly you should take a tumble for that one
It's his tumble dryer sense of humour
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Twig

I would just say well done to all those who did well in their A level results today.  Leave out all the grudging buts, ifs and maybes.  Just bloody well done and enjoy it.

Somerset Fulham

I know how hard my daughter worked for her A levels a couple of years back, and how I also know that it is highly unlikely that my youngest will go to uni after 6th form. She will choose a trade of some sort.

They all deserve celebrating, not putting down or being told that it counts for nothing.

HV71

Quote from: Twig on August 18, 2022, 08:25:02 PM
I would just say well done to all those who did well in their A level results today.  Leave out all the grudging buts, ifs and maybes.  Just bloody well done and enjoy it.

Totally agree with this  - every year people complain that either it's been too easy or if the number of passes are lower then standards of education are falling. I loathe these reactions as these young people can only deliver on what is put in front of them . One thing is for certain I'm glad I did my A levels and degree when I did .
Well done to all of them today !

Andy S

Totally agree. I just hope that they can get the jobs that go with the hard work

Twig

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on August 18, 2022, 08:33:35 PM
I know how hard my daughter worked for her A levels a couple of years back, and how I also know that it is highly unlikely that my youngest will go to uni after 6th form. She will choose a trade of some sort.

They all deserve celebrating, not putting down or being told that it counts for nothing.

Absolutely

blingo

HV71

I got a first in my camouflage exam but it was knocked down to a 2.1 as my lecturer said he hadn't seen me in any of his lectures

Jock White

I went to the University of Life joining the Royal Navy aged 15 set me in good stead for employment in the Telecoms Engineering and Sales business in the following years.
My eldest son did well in O's and A's but dropped out of Architects course deciding it wasn't for him. Worked fitting tellys and sound systems for a few years then got employment offshore drilling. Now a 'Toolpusher" running drill floor on a huge subsea well ship offshore Brazil. Proud of him as it carries a lot of responsibility for equipment and lives in a dangerous environment.
Life is what you make of it, good luck to all those youngsters whatever their career path no matter what choices they make.

cookieg

My son did his A levels this year and his results were pretty good. He would have liked a higher grade in one of his subjects but so be it. He worked bloody hard to get what he did and we are so proud of him. Fortunately we didn't have to do the Uni thing as he has gone to college in California to study and play soccer. He got his place through the SATs American kids do and being at Sutton Utd's academy so his A level results were academic (I'm here all week).

I did my A levels more years ago than I care to remember and did crap but it was only ever the bright kids that went to Uni. We do seem fixated with sending kids to Uni which isn't suitable for everyone and really more should be done to encourage kids to learn a trade or another skill to help them get to where they want to be.

Lighthouse

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope