watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham’s Crest

Started by McBrideOfFrankenstein, August 24, 2022, 10:36:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H4usuallysitting

The 1898 badge is the one, with proper hand stitched leather balls and a cuppa tea and fag for every player before kick off

Logicalman

To me it's strange that the only crest to actually feature a Cottage is the 1931 badge, though, tbh, it looks like the 6 year old granddaughter of the chairman actually drew it!

Of the others, the 70's badge is what I proudly wear etched onto my left arm, closest to my heart, though the current one, 2001 shield, stands out more than most others, is easily identified as Fulham's crest, it's simple and colourful, and that's what it's all about, for both marketing and wearability. I'd be happy if this one went on for another 21 years, without doubt.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on August 25, 2022, 11:16:45 AM
The 1898 badge is the one, with proper hand stitched leather balls and a cuppa tea and fag for every player before kick off

Not forgetting the players who smoked a pipe.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Penfold

Quote from: Southcoastffc on August 25, 2022, 10:36:19 AM
Quote from: Fulham 442 on August 25, 2022, 09:40:43 AM
Quote from: fulhamfan on August 25, 2022, 08:29:55 AM
started going to Fulham with my dad in the very early 90s so the old coat of arms badges i will always love.
I've since grown to like the new badge over the years. it's actually aged very well and still looks very sleek and modern. its also been with us for the premier league years and our europa league run which has been our most successful in the clubs lifetime  so the memories with this badge are fantastic
Seen a lot of teams change their badges since to be more simplified like we have so I think we were trailblazers in that regard.
I've also grown to like the new badge for all the reasons you state.  It is also easily recognised, which I also like.
...which is the key.  So many of the forerunners could be any club.

Any club? Why would any club use the crest of the Borough of Fulham?

I hate this 'it's instantly recognisable' stuff. Would have it been had we been in, say, the third tier rather than the Premier League?

Bokonon

I would love the ironwork like we had on the back of the home kits in 20/21, maybe with some wavy navy blue for the river, and a classy simple font saying "Fulham Football Club, Est. 1879".

But I like circular logos more than shield-shaped ones.

EDIT: I feel like this is 95% of the way there: https://www.footballshirtculture.com/images/stories/fulham-2020-2021-home-kit/fulham_2020_2021_home_kit_c.jpg

LittleErn

My failing memory tells me that back in 2001 the "new" logo was introduced because all of the previous logos had elements of the Fulham Borough Council coat of arms and that this could have led to copyright problems and possibly a claim on any advertising/marketing revenues. I didn't like the change at the time but I've got used to it. Even so, it has nothing in it that is relatable to the "cottage" or to our proximity to the river which some of the earlier ones did. If you weren't a Fulham supporter and saw the current crest out of context, I doubt it would be instantly recognisable as the logo of a football team, let alone of FFC.

Cambridge Away

I actually think "FFC" on it's own is strong and stands out (us being the only "F" in the league of course), but agree it could be a better design. A slight adjustment on the old design of "FFC " would be fine, as that looks like a historic design (and is). The good thing about switching from simple lettering to another design of simple lettering is people would not be confused by the change

McBrideOfFrankenstein

Quote from: LittleErn on August 25, 2022, 04:38:31 PM
Even so, it has nothing in it that is relatable to the "cottage" or to our proximity to the river which some of the earlier ones did. If you weren't a Fulham supporter and saw the current crest out of context, I doubt it would be instantly recognisable as the logo of a football team, let alone of FFC.

Exactly this.

mrmicawbers

Not this old Chestnut again.

cookieg

At least TK can't be blamed this time.

Cambridge Away

Quote from: McBrideOfFrankenstein on August 29, 2022, 02:48:30 AM
Quote from: LittleErn on August 25, 2022, 04:38:31 PM
Even so, it has nothing in it that is relatable to the "cottage" or to our proximity to the river which some of the earlier ones did. If you weren't a Fulham supporter and saw the current crest out of context, I doubt it would be instantly recognisable as the logo of a football team, let alone of FFC.

Exactly this.
Do we need to pack all our history into a badge? Surely the name being recognised is enough. A is for Arsenal. B is for Barceona ....  F is for Fulham   The name being recognised is enough i think from people who may glance it. We can leave all the historic stuff for the graphics people at sky sports.

Woolly Mammoth

I would like to see the historic stuff signified in the Fulham Badge.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

McBrideOfFrankenstein

Quote from: mrmicawbers on August 29, 2022, 07:24:46 AM
Not this old Chestnut again.

That's the problem -- the Chestnut isn't old. It's new, boring, and vaguely fascist.  :003:

Shredhead

Also occasionally on Twitter @shredheadFFC

McBrideOfFrankenstein

Quote from: Shredhead on August 30, 2022, 07:07:30 AM
Unsurprisingly,  our badge is ranked 90th of 92 here https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/ranked-all-92-premier-league-and-football-league-club-badges

(Forest win, rightfully IMO).

Oof. That's maybe even charitable.

I'd love a design contest for a new crest. Or barring that some indication that the club is working on an update.

Peabody

Quote from: Peabody on August 30, 2022, 01:50:15 PM
Quote from: Cambridge Away on August 29, 2022, 02:32:36 AM
I actually think "FFC" on it's own is strong and stands out (us being the only "F" in the league of course), but agree it could be a better design. A slight adjustment on the old design of "FFC " would be fine, as that looks like a historic design (and is). The good thing about switching from simple lettering to another design of simple lettering is people would not be confused by the change

But we are not the only F in the league anymore, Fleetwood and Forest Green Rovers, for example.

Peabody

I have seen all the badges since the war and to be honest I like the present one. As others have said, it easily recognised and surely the important thing is not the badge but the player wearing it.

LittleErn

Quote from: Peabody on August 30, 2022, 01:56:12 PM
the important thing is not the badge but the player wearing it.

Can't argue with that Peabody.

McBrideOfFrankenstein

Quote from: LittleErn on August 30, 2022, 03:09:51 PM
Quote from: Peabody on August 30, 2022, 01:56:12 PM
the important thing is not the badge but the player wearing it.

Can't argue with that Peabody.

That's of course true. And maybe a discussion best tabled for the off-season no matter how strongly I feel about it. COYW!

Side note: that FFT article about the 92 badges is excellent, thanks whoever posted it

Peabody

Can I just add, I worked at NatWest when they brought out their logo and that was described as three maggots chasing round a circle but by golly, just like Fulham's, everyone recognise it