Saturday Fulham Stuff (08.01.11)

Started by White Noise, January 08, 2011, 07:54:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Danny Murphy starts Fulham contract talks

Jan 7 2011

By Jacob Murtagh

Danny Murphy

FULHAM have opened talks with captain Danny Murphy over a one-year contract extension at Craven Cottage.

The former Liverpool midfielder is approaching 150 appearances for the Whites, but his current deal is due to expire in the summer.

However, the club have moved to quash speculation about the 33-year-old's future.

Boss Mark Hughes said: "We've started discussions with Danny and his people.

"He's been fantastic since I came to the club and has been a positive influence on and off the pitch.

"Technically he drives the team, he's got good awareness and is a good captain.

"I fully anticipate that he will stay."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/01/07/danny-murphy-starts-fulham-contract-talks-82029-27950624/#ixzz1AQc4vdO2

White Noise

Steve Sidwell Joins Fulham

Friday 7th January 2011

Fulham Football Club is delighted to confirm its first signing of the January transfer window. Steve Sidwell signs from Aston Villa for an undisclosed fee. The deal, which initially runs for six months, could potentially see the player at Craven Cottage until the summer of 2014.

The 28-year old midfielder was born in Wandsworth and started his career at Arsenal, winning the FA Youth Cup with the Gunners in 2000 and 2001 before making the move to Reading in 2003.

He spent four seasons with the Royals, making 186 appearances and scoring 30 goals and played an important part in Reading's 2005-06 Championship-winning side and promotion to the Premier League.

Sidwell started the 2007-08 season at Chelsea before signing for Aston Villa in 2008.

Speaking at Fulham Football Club's training ground this afternoon, Steve Sidwell said:

"I'm delighted that my move to Fulham has been finalised, and I'm looking forward to training with the squad and help the Club make steady progress up the table in the second half of the season.

"I'd also like to thank Jez Moxley, and Mick McCarthy in particular, at Wolverhampton Wanderers for being so understanding in my desire to return to London and to play for Fulham. "

Fulham Manager, Mark Hughes, added:

"He is a player whose career I have followed for a while now, and there was a deal in place to bring him in prior to when I arrived. At that time I just didn't think it was the moment to make it happen because I was new to the Club.

"But he has been in my thoughts ever since, and when the opportunity to sign him in the January transfer window presented itself we moved quickly knowing there was a possibility he might go somewhere else.

"His intention was that he always wanted to come to Fulham – this was his first choice and we are delighted to have him on board. He is a young man who wants to get his career back on track and start playing football again. He has a good reputation in the game and is well admired.

"On the pitch he can get from box to box, he works tirelessly, is good on the ball and can also get you a goal. He wants to be part of what we are doing here – and because of that he will do well for us."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/January/SidwellJoinsFulham.aspx#ixzz1AQcSYi3p

White Noise

Kagisho Dikgacoi extends Fulham stay

Jan 7 2011

By Jacob Murtagh

Kagisho Dikgacoi

FULHAM boss Mark Hughes has moved to quash speculation about Kagisho Dikgacoi's future.

The 26-year-old has made just one appearance under Hughes, and has been linked with a move to clubs in England and abroad.

But the Whites have taken up the one-year option on the South African to tie him to Craven Cottage until 2012.

Hughes said: "KG's a good player, and like a number of players who aren't playing, there's a little bit of frustration I'm sure.

"He's a player we want to keep here. We've taken up the option on his contract so that shows our intent in his regards.

"We don't intend to let him out either. We will try and keep players who can have an impact for us at the club."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/01/07/kagisho-dikgacoi-extends-fulham-stay-82029-27950767/#ixzz1AQcpwV1R

White Noise

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/birmmail/oct2010/6/8/steve-sidwell-706339888.jpg

Aston Villa confirm Steve Sidwell has moved to Fulham

Jan 7 2011

Steve Sidwell has joined Fulham for an undisclosed fee after Mark Hughes beat off interest from Wolves and West Ham.

The midfielder signed for the Cottagers after spending two-and-a-half years at Villa Park.

Sidwell, who joined from Chelsea in 2008, fell out of favour with previous manager Martin O'Neill and has failed to make an impact under Gerard Houllier.

He scored on his league debut for the club after going on as a late substitute in the 4-0 win at Wigan Athletic and then hit the Premier League's fastest goal of the season after just 31 seconds of the dramatic 3-2 success at Everton.

However, Stiliyan Petrov and James Milner - prio to his move to Manchester City - were favoured ahead of Sidwell in the Villa Park pecking order.

Read More http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news/2011/01/07/aston-villa-confirm-steve-sidwell-has-moved-to-fulham-97319-27951516/#ixzz1AQd8WOiX

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6641018,00.html

Hughes quashes Duff talk

Cottagers midfielder going nowhere says boss

Last updated: 7th January 2011   

Duff: Set to stay with Fulham

Fulham manager Mark Hughes insists reports linking winger Damien Duff with a return to Blackburn are not accurate.

The 31-year-old Republic of Ireland international was understood to be a target of Rovers boss Steve Kean, with the Ewood Park outfit looking to another former player to bolster their ranks.

Manchester City striker Roque Santa Cruz is also thought to be on Kean's wanted list, with the Paraguayan ace out of favour at Eastlands.

However, Hughes was quick to quash speculation that Duff is on his way out of Craven Cottage.

"There was something in the press and I think Blackburn were trying to make contact with me to discuss the situation," he said.

"But he's not available. He's part of what we're doing so the conversation doesn't need to take place.

"He's contracted to Fulham and I have to protect the interests of the club. Allowing a player of Damien Duff's quality to leave would be bad management."

Fulham are looking to strengthen in the winter transfer window after a poor first-half to the campaign under Welshman Hughes.

The West Londoners have already added Steve Sidwell to their ranks and are expected to make further additions before the end of January

White Noise

http://fulham.theoffside.com/team-news/fa-cup-fulham-vs-peterborough.html

FA Cup: Fulham vs Peterborough

By: Jason Gatties | January 7th, 2011

Just over a month before I was born, Fulham traveled to Wembley Stadium to take on West Ham in FA Cup Final. That was May 3, 1975 and to date, the only time Fulham have appeared in the final. We've made a few nice runs at the cup during the time I've  supported the club and even though I have fond memories of some of our longer cup runs,  I can't even begin to imagine what it must have felt like in 35 1/2 years ago.  Yeah I know, the Europa League Final was cool last season, but the FA Cup is special on a different level.

We've reached the eve of the FA Cup's third round and as is the case every season, I dream of a long cup run. You can't get to Wembley unless you take out your first opponent and for Fulham, that first opponent is League One's Peterborough United.

It's been awhile since the two clubs have met on the pitch (1990-1991, "Old" Division 3) and you may want to sit down Fulhamaniacs..."The Posh" own a 6-3-2 record in all competitions against us. However there is good news, we did bounce Peterborough out of the FA Cup the only time the two clubs met in the competition (1958-1959) in the third round. Now that I'm finished throwing useless stats at you, let's talk about tomorrow's battle.

Now I'm not going to pretend to be an expert when it comes Peterborough. I haven't seen them play this season and you want to know why? I watch soccer on TV.  So I refuse to "fake it" like some bloggers do and pretend I can talk Posh tactics and what not. All I know is, they are sitting on 33 points and are currently 7th in the table, just outside of the final playoff spot. That's it really. Oh wait, I do know one more thing, just like any club who resides below the Premiership, The Posh are licking their chops and ready to scalp a big boy.  And that's what worries me and what should worry you as well.

Mark Hughes has sent some mixed signals since Tuesday regarding his starting XI for the cup tie. One minute he's claiming he'll rest many of his starters and then in the next interview, he claims only "a few" changes will be made. Perhaps he doesn't want to reveal all his cards and that's fine, but if he were to ask me (he won't), I would suggest putting out the strongest team possible in order to avoid embarrassment.

We've won two of our last three league matches and have climbed out of the relegation zone (for now). I feel it's very important for morale that we continue to win, losing or drawing at home will do little to keep the momentum going.  So with that in mind, here is my starting XI:

GK: Stockdale

Defenders: Pantsil, Hughes, Hangeland, Baird

Midfielders: Riise, Murphy, Greening, Duff

Forwards: Gera, Kamara

So, what do you think? I believe Etuhu could use some time on the bench, Davies deserves a break, Dempsey always appears to be tired even when he's not and hell, Gera may as well play up front because nobody else can. Rumor is Dembele will get another week to recover and Andy Johnson is still recovering from a minor hamstring tear (big shock). So I believe I put out the strongest team possible while still giving rest to a couple who I feel could use it. If you're feeling extra nervous, then make Davies and Dempsey available on the bench, but I think you'll agree that the team I put out should defeat Peterborough.

So, I suppose I should wrap this lame preview up by throwing out a prediction. I feel Peterborough will keep things close for about 60 minutes and will then gas out. Gera is due to score a goal, so I'll give him two.

Fulham-2

Posh-0

From what I can tell, there will be no television coverage anywhere in the world, so don't bother searching for illegal Eastern European online feeds. Simply visit FulhamFC.com and listen to Gentleman Jim's call of the match.

COYW!!!

White Noise

Fulham v Peterborough tickets

FA Cup 3rd Round

Saturday 8 January

Kick-Off 15:00

On-sale dates
General Sale  On sale (6 tickets)
Loyalty points: 5 (more info)|   

How to Buy Tickets
Pay on the Gate
by phone on 0843 208 1234 (option 1) - 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day
Prices
Age Band   Matchday Price 
Adult  £20 
Young Persons (under 21)  £15 
Senior (over 65)   £15 
Junior (under 16)   £5 

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Tickets/Games/PeterboroughHome.aspx#ixzz1AQck9SkC

White Noise

http://posh.footballblog.co.uk/fulham-peterborough-united-fa-cup-match-preview.html

Fulham v Peterborough United – F.A Cup Third Round: Match Preview

7 January 2011

by John Verrall

"Is there still magic in the F.A Cup?" It's been a question asked by many a football pundit in recent times and the competition certainly does seem to be declining in importance for many of the top teams who would rather see a European trophy gleam from their trophy cabinets. However, for fans of lower league clubs it's certainly still an exciting prospect. It's certainly got the Posh fans excited. Over 4,000 tickets have been sold ahead of the game by Peterborough United ensuring that an electric atmosphere, at least from the away end, should be expected.

The Opposition
Fulham's start to the season has been disappointing to say the least. Mark Hughes hasn't managed to maintain the remarkable form the club had under Roy Hodgson last season, when the London based club reached the Europa League final and finished in a mid-table position. This season has mainly been spent at the wrong end of the table with the club nervously looking over their shoulder – The Cottagers are currently only two points off the bottom of the Premier League.

Hughes' team's stuttering start has hardly been helped by injury problems, however. Bobby Zamora, Fulham's top goalscorer last season, has been ruled out for a considerable amount of time after suffering a broken leg at the hands, or rather feet, of Wolves' tough-tackling central midfielder Karl Henry. Moussa Dembele, after making a blistering start to his career in England, also suffered a sizable injury meaning that Fulham have struggled for goals – only 22 in 21 games have been scored.

Tactical Talk
Fulham have tended to line-up in a 4-4-1-1/4-4-2 formation this season. With a main striker supported by a second striker just behind. The first choice central midfield pairing of Danny Murphy and Dickson Etuhu is one to be reckoned with. Murphy is an excellent passer whilst Etuhu is a tough tackling midfielder who breaks up opponents attacks. Both will play relatively deep-lying roles which means that the starting full-backs are expected to get forward on regular occasions as well as help out the defence; in Fulham's last match John Pantsil made 35% of his passes inside the opposition's half.

Posh have favoured an attacking 4-4-2 approach throughout this season which has seen Peterborough United concede and score a large number of goals. Both Tomlin and Boyd, the two wide midfielders, are intent on getting forward to support the two strikers and it leaves Posh particularly exposed as neither McCann or Clayton, in central midfield, are defensive minded in their approach. Johnson has also favoured a narrow approach with both wingers looking to cut inside which, although out-numbering opposition defenders at times, can further emphasise Posh's vulnerability to the counter attack.

Key Players
Fulham: Simon Davies – The former Posh midfielder is likely to have more motivation than many within the Fulham squad for this F.A Cup tie. Ahead of the game Davies was quoted as saying "I used to travel there every weekend from Wales to play and then obviously from the age of 16 I moved up and had a great time under Barry Fry. He gave me my chance in football and I'll always be indebted to him and Peterborough for giving me my chance."  The central midfielder has enjoyed a fantastic career since leaving London Road and even though he is reaching the end of his time in professional football at the age of 31 he is still very talented and a threat. His recent goal against West Brom, although Scott Carson should have done better, highlighted this fact. Posh will have to be at their best to deal with Davies who is wonderfully gifted in possession and he is bound to receive a good reception from the away support which may just spur him on further.

Peterborough: Joe Lewis – It's never easy being a goalkeeper for Peterborough United. You are certainly expected to earn your money. In-front of an unstable defence Lewis has been required to make save after save, not only in this campaign but in Posh's season in the Championship too, but he has relished the challenge and developed as a 'keeper because of it. It now looks as if Lewis will leave London Road for bigger things, if not in January than at the end of the season. No Posh fan can begrudge him a move either; it is time for him to test himself at a higher standard of football. The tall shot-stopper is likely to be called into action at regular intervals in this game with Fulham who offer a potent attacking threat. He will have to be at the top of his game to keep the hosts out and Posh will rely on him if they are to have any chance of pulling off an upset.

Team News
Fulham: The hosts are likely to field a weakened side for the game with the Premier League the main priority. As already stated Bobby Zamora is a long-term absentee and youngster Matthew Briggs is also unavailable due to injury. Mark Schawarzer is away on International duty with Australia in the Asia Cup, which starts soon, which means that David Stockdale is the likely starter in the Fulham goal.

Peterborough: The away side have made two new loan signings from Premier League clubs in the week and both are set to head straight into the first team set-up for the game. Either Jonathon Obika, from Spurs, or Kieran Agard, from Everton, will be likely to be start up-front as Posh looked to fill the void left by influential striker Aaron McLean after he joined Hull City. Peterborough are also boosted by the news that Adam Clayton has been granted permission from Leeds to play in the cup.

Conclusion
It is hard to look past a Fulham victory in this game but this is the F.A Cup and Posh will be hopeful for an upset, it is certainly not off the cards. The Premier League side are likely to be distracted by Premier League campaign whilst for Posh this is a big game. If the away support can produce an electric atmosphere it may also feel like a home game for the visitors as Fulham's fans have not, understandably, brought tickets in their masses. If anything Posh's main aim will be to stay competitive; whilst the score-line remains tight they are still in with a chance. For the visiting support many will also have flashbacks to an away game, in this round, last season where Peterborough slumped to a 4-0 defeat to Tottenham despite being backed by a large number of supporters. Hopefully it'll be different this time.

Up The Posh.

White Noise

Favourite stadium for atmosphere

Old Trafford.

Least favourite

Craven Cottage.

Suitable year for retirement

I plan to go on for another 10 years, in a wheelchair.

Burton v Boro prediction

2-1 to Burton.

Outsiders to win FA Cup

Fulham.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1345056/Kevin-Poole-Oldest-player-FA-Cup-takes-trip-memory-lane-.html#ixzz1AQfoXMZL

White Noise

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/fa_cup/9341827.stm

Fulham    v    Peterborough

Saturday, 8 January 2011
The FA Cup
Home Team Score Away Team Time
Fulham v  Peterborough 15:00

FA Cup third round
Venue: Craven Cottage Date: Saturday, 8 January Kick-off: 1500 GMT
Coverage: BBC Sport website, BBC Radio 5 live, BBC local radio, Final Score

TEAM NEWS
Fulham are hoping striker Moussa Dembele recovers from an ankle injury before naming their side.

Andrew Johnson is sidelined after suffering a minor hamstring tear which kept him out of the West Ham match.

Peterborough will hand a late fitness test to winger George Boyd (ankle) who missed Monday's win over Walsall.

Kieran Agard could make his debut after joining on loan from Everton, whilst Leeds loanee Adam Clayton has also been given permission to play.

BIG-MATCH FACTS
The tie in context

• This is one of four Premier League against League One ties in the third round.

• Peterborough are one of 11 League One clubs to have successfully negotiated the first two rounds.

Gulf in class

• Fulham are 37 places higher than Posh on the league ladder.

Head-to-head
• Peterborough have won seven of the 12 competitive meetings with Fulham.

• The most recent meetings where in 1991/92, the only season these clubs have been in the same division together, when Posh did the double in the old Third Division.

• The London Road club are looking for a fifth successive win over the Cottagers.

• Fulham have not beaten the Cambridgeshire club in seven meetings subsequent to a League Cup tie in September 1976.

FA Cup records and best performances
• These clubs have only been paired together once before in the competition.

• Fulham won the third round tie 1-0 after a replay at London Road in January 1959.

• Peterborough are still to score an FA Cup goal against the Thames-side club.

The clubs
FULHAM

Current form

• Coming off a 3-0 home victory over West Brom on Tuesday.

• That was their fourth Premier League victory this season and their second maximum in three outings, which followed an eight-match winless sequence.

FA Cup form

• Quarter-finalists in each of the last two seasons.

• Manager Mark Hughes was four times a winner as a player with Manchester United and Chelsea.

• Last knocked out by lower division opposition in January 2008, when League One Bristol Rovers got the better of them after a penalty shoot-out.

PETERBOROUGH UNITED

Current form

• Won three and drawn two of their last five competitive matches.

• Southampton were the last club to beat them 4-1 at St Mary's on 20 November.

• Scored 59 goals in 28 league and cup games this season.

FA Cup form

• Won 99 FA Cup matches.

• Craig Mackail-Smith scored against Stockport and Bury in the first two rounds to take his career tally of FA Cup goals to 12, to making him Peterborough's club record goalscorer in the competition.

• The 1965 quarter-finalists have only been further than the third round once in the last five seasons (2007/08).

Replay date
Tuesday, 18 January 2011 (Kick off: 1945 GMT)

Match officials
Referee: Lee Mason (Lancashire)

Assistant referees: Ceri Richards and David Plowright

Fourth official: David Phillips

White Noise

Fulham waiting on Dembele fitness

Published 14:39 07/01/11

By MirrorFootball

Mark Hughes is hoping striker Moussa Dembele recovers from an ankle injury before naming his side for tomorrow's visit of Peterborough to Craven Cottage.

Andrew Johnson is sidelined after suffering a minor hamstring tear which kept him out of the victory against West Brom.

Long-term casualty Bobby Zamora will also miss tomorrow's FA Cup third round clash.

Provisional squad: Stockdale, Pantsil, Hangeland, Hughes, Baird, Davies, Riise, Murphy, Etuhu, Duff, Dempsey, E Johnson, Kamara, Gera, Dembele, Etheridge, Salcido, Greening, Halliche.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-team-news-Mark-Hughes-is-hoping-striker-Dembele-recovers-from-ankle-injury-for-FA-Cup-third-round-Peterborough-Andrew-Johnson-out-minor-hamstring-tear-article666307.html#ixzz1AQj7ovUs

White Noise

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/fulham_v_posh_preview_posh_need_11_fa_cup_heroes_1_2251727

Fulham v Posh preview: Posh need 11 FA Cup heroes

Published on Fri Jan 07 11:18:47 GMT 2011

GARY Johnson reckons Posh's promotion bid could receive a short in the arm from a fine FA Cup performance tomorrow (saturday, 8 January).

Johnson returns to his roots when taking his side to Premier League club Fulham for a third round tie (3pm). Johnson was born and grew up close to Craven Cottage and also played for his hometown outfit as a youngster.

It is a match of personal significance to the Posh chief and he has challenged his troops to cause their top-flight hosts problems - something he is adamant would stand them in good stead for their bid to charge into the League One top two.

Johnson said: "I was born in Fulham, I went to school there and I played there as a kid. Fulham is my team and most of my family are supporters too so it is a big game for them, not just for me.

"I can't wait to go back and try to put one over on them. I know our players are looking forward to it as much as I am. The lads will have friends and family members in the stands just as I will.

"It would be fantastic to get a win or to bring Fulham back here for a replay which would no doubt bring some money in.

"The FA Cup throws up lots of good results for underdogs and we have to hope that we provide one of them this weekend. It is an occasion for us to enjoy as we try to match our game against that of a Premier League team.

"I just want to see us cause Fulham a problem while trying to stop their very potent attack.

"And if we are able to cause a top-level team like Fulham problems it will stand us in good stead when we come up against League One opponents.

"We haven't prepared any differently for this game than we would any other. We will try to win the game and see what comes of it.

"It is case of needing 11 heroes and that's certainly how the players will be treated if they are successful.

"My job is to keep them relaxed and make sure they go out there to compete. A Premier League side will soon punish us if we are not on our game and that's not something we want to happen."

Johnson admits it is unlikely that he will be able to call on the services of wideman George Boyd. He acknowldes it will take a 'miraculous recovery' if he is overcome the ankle problem sustained in training last weekend which ruled him out of the Bank Holiday Monday success over Walsall.

Charlie Lee is fit from his own ankle injury while fellow midfielder Lee Frecklington is closing in on a return from his latest injury absence. Frecklington played a full part in a practice match in training yesterday.

Adam Clayton has also been allowed to play for Posh by his club, Leeds.

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6640917,00.html

Hughes admits to Keane chase

Cottagers boss joins chase for Spurs striker

Last updated: 7th January 2011   

Keane: Up for grabs

Fulham boss Mark Hughes admits he is keen on landing Tottenham Hotspur striker Robbie Keane.

The Irishman is expected to leave White Hart Lane during the January transfer window after slipping down the pecking order under Harry Redknapp.

Birmingham thought they had put a deal in place early in the New Year window, with a £7million move believed to be in the pipeline.

However, no agreement has been put in place and Keane remains up for grabs.

That has opened the door for other interested parties, and Hughes has revealed that he would be willing to take the 30-year-old should finances at Craven Cottage allow.

Interested
"A lot of players are being mentioned, and a lot of them are good players, players I admire," said the Cottagers coach.

"But sometimes the deal to bring certain players in can be a little prohibitive, certainly for a club like ours.

"Although at times [recently] and in the past there has been a will to bring players here, on occasion we haven't been able to do it due to the finances involved.

"Would Robbie being keen to stay in London help Fulham? Well that gives us a competitive advantage, I would suggest.

"Fulham is in a nice part of the world. That helps in acquisitions. There are clubs where it is more difficult to attract players to the area, but we don't have that problem when we are based in London."

White Noise

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3337199/Mark-Hughes-tells-bosses-not-to-disrespect-the-FA-Cup.html

Sparks fly over FA snub

By DAVE WARD

Published: Today

MARK HUGHES has blasted any managers who decide to disrespect the FA Cup today by fielding weakened teams.

The Fulham boss lifted the trophy on four occasions as a player - three with Manchester United and once at Chelsea - and memorably scored twice in the 3-3 1990 final against Crystal Palace.

And since moving to the dugout he has been to two semi-finals with Blackburn in 2005 and 2007.

Fulham host League One's Peterborough today in the third round.

Sparky said: "The Premier League is of massive importance to players, managers and owners but the FA Cup is a fantastic competition, too.

"I have great affection for it - it's the best domestic cup competition in the world.

"One of my bug bears is when I see clubs pick different teams for the FA Cup.

"It's the FA Cup so why not have a go and see how far you can get?

"The league is our bread and butter but a good Cup run helps your league form.

"I've been in games where it can bite you on the backside if you made too many changes. It can affect the dynamic of the team."

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/6641212/Murphy-offered-new-Fulham-deal?

Murphy offered new Fulham deal

Fulham manager Mark Hughes has offered Danny Murphy a new one-year contract to play alongside new signing Steve Sidwell at Craven Cottage.

Hughes captured Sidwell from under the noses of two Premier League rivals on Friday, after the Aston Villa man snubbed Wolves and turned down a move to West Ham.

The 28-year-old midfielder joins the Cottagers for an undisclosed fee on an initial six-month deal, which could potentially see him stay until the summer of 2014.

Hughes also revealed that Murphy, 33, has been offered a new one-year contract and insisted there was no way Damien Duff, linked with a possible move to former club Blackburn, would be allowed to leave the club in the January transfer window.

But it is the capture of Sidwell, 28, who has played only four matches for Villa this season, which appears to have set Hughes' bid for January reinforcements in motion.

The Welshman explained: "He is a player whose career I have followed for a while now, and there was a deal in place to bring him in prior to when I arrived.

"At that time I just didn't think it was the moment to make it happen because I was new to the club.

"But he has been in my thoughts ever since, and when the opportunity to sign him in the January transfer window presented itself we moved quickly knowing there was a possibility he might go somewhere else.

"His intention was that he always wanted to come to Fulham - this was his first choice and we are delighted to have him on board.

"He is a young man who wants to get his career back on track and start playing football again. He has a good reputation in the game and is well admired.

"On the pitch he can get from box to box, he works tirelessly, is good on the ball and can also get you a goal. He wants to be part of what we are doing here - and because of that he will do well for us."

There is no chance of Sidwell playing in the FA Cup against League One side Peterborough on Saturday but Hughes expects to play a full-strength side, including Murphy and Duff, at Craven Cottage.

On Murphy, Hughes said: "We've started discussions with Danny and his people and it is my intention that Danny stays here.

"He has been fantastic since I came to the club, a real positive influence on and off the pitch. Technically he drives the team, he has good awareness, he understands the game and is a good captain."

On Duff, Hughes was just as resolute.

He added: "He's not available. He's very much part of what we are doing. Allowing a player of the quality of Damien Duff to leave would be bad management. I'm not about to do that."

Instead Hughes - with Bobby Zamora a long-term casualty, Andrew Johnson suffering from a hamstring tear and Moussa Dembele doubtful for Saturday's game with an ankle injury - will step up his search for a striker.

He said: "We are still looking. We're a bit light (on strikers) and we have to address that."

Before that, Hughes insists he will not be one of those Premier League managers who take the FA Cup lightly.

He said: "A lot of the success I had as a player came in the FA Cup and, for me, it's the best club cup competition in the world.

"Of course, the Premier League is huge and it is extremely important, but the FA Cup is a special competition. It's unique.

"It's one that I take very seriously and that will be very much the case here. It's a great chance for teams to do well and have a bit of success, so why not have a go and see how far you can get?"

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1339757/Competition-Win-tickets-Wigan-v-Fulham-January-15--courtesy-Barclays.html?

Competition: Win tickets to see Wigan v Fulham on January 15 - courtesy of Barclays

Sportsmail has teamed up with Barclays, title sponsor of the Barclays Premier League, to offer one lucky reader the opportunity to win a pair of tickets to the Wigan v Fulham clash at the DW Stadium on Saturday January 15.

The Latics will be looking for a win to get out of the bottom three while Fulham may be five places above them in the table but have just a point more.

To be in with a chance, answer the following question:
Which midfielder played 145 games for Wigan from 2003-2006 then 39 for Fulham from 2006-2009?
Paul Scharner
Jimmy Bullard
Jimmy Hill

E-mail your answer, along with your name, address and contact number to:
[email protected]
to arrive by midday Wednesday January 12 2011.

PLEASE NOTE: You must validate your entry with the words BARCLAYS WIGAN in your subject box; the tickets are for home fans only and do not include travel to/from the ground, accommodation or hospitality;  normal Associated Newspapers terms and conditions apply - the Editor's decision is final.

If you're not successful, you can always win a pair by visiting your nearest Barclays ATM and requesting a receipt, or by going online to www.barclaysticketoffice.com – you don't even have to be a Barclays customer.

Match tickets are up for grabs EVERY 90 minutes, every day, throughout the 2010/11 season. Further information and terms and conditions are available from www.barclaysticketoffice.com

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1339757/Competition-Win-tickets-Wigan-v-Fulham-January-15--courtesy-Barclays.html#ixzz1AR9sQTbs

WhiteJC

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/01/07/fa-cup-third-round-name-that-lineup/

FA Cup Third Round: Name that lineup!
Filed under: General — timmyg 
Ah, the FA Cup Third Round. Where there's usually more talk about the proposed lineup than the actual game.

When I played FIFA 07 and 08, I would often throw out a silly lineup that would include Lee Cook or Ahmad Ehrlich, and then win 1-0 on a penalty or something like that.

This year, with the 25-man rosters, we can only see more youth than Seol Ki-Hyeon types. That and Hughes didn't appear to experiment in the Carling Cup. And evidently won't be tomorrow. Which is sad, because lest we forget, Julian Gray got a start at this stage two years ago!

So, dearest CCN readers, if you were Sparky, and as crazy as I, what lineup would you put out there? Here's mine:

GK:Stockdale
RB: Kelly
CB: Halliche; Hughes
LB: Briggs [according to physioroom he's injured until 1/15. So, Salcido?]
RM: Gera (sub with Kacaniklic)
CM: Greening; Etuhu (sub with Saunders)
LM: Milsom
ST: EJ [shut up]
ST: Elm (sub with Dalla Valle)

Right, this is probably why I'm not a football manager...