watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (07.01.11)

Started by White Noise, January 06, 2011, 10:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/48841/Hughes_ready_to_join_Villa_ace_chase.aspx?

Hughes ready to join Villa ace chase

Aston Villa's Steve Sidwell is now a reported target of Fulham, who are set to fight it out with West Ham and Wolves for his services.

Cottagers boss Mark Hughes has prioritised his forward line for strengthening during this January transfer window, but it appears that he is now looking at his midfield options and could join the growing list of clubs looking to snap up Sidwell.

The 28-year-old former Chelsea man looked set to join struggling West Ham when Villa agreed a fee with the Upton Park outfit last week and the player agreed terms and passed a medical.

However Sidwell returned to Villa Park and was then allowed to hold talks with Wolves about a potential switch to Molineux, where he would link up with his former Reading team-mates Kevin Doyle, Stephen Hunt and goalkeeper Marcus Hahnemann.

But it appears that Hughes, who is set to allow out of favour South African midfielder Kagisho Dikgacoi depart Craven Cottage this month, could try and hijack a deal to take Sidwell to Craven Cottage.

WhiteJC

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Headlines/0,,12306~2260079,00.html?

News in Brief - Fri 7th Jan

Clint Dempsey is confident Fulham have turned the corner after the 3-0 victory over West Bromwich Albion propelled them from the relegation zone to 13th place in the Barclays Premier League. The bottom half of the table is congested, with Fulham one of eight teams separated by just four points, but that makes momentum and goal difference vital. Fulham have now taken six points from their three matches since the Boxing Day defeat at home to West Ham United, and the victory over West Brom was comprehensive. Dempsey, who scored the second goal at Craven Cottage, said: "It's such a tight league that if we get a good run of results we can start to move up very quickly. Hopefully, we can do that now. The West Ham game was very frustrating but we've bounced back from that. We've shown character and a willingness to move forward. In our last three games we've set a standard with our commitment and workrate. Now it is up to us to maintain that standard. I certainly think you'll see us starting to play better football. It's difficult to play when things don't seem to be going your way, you don't get the rub of the green, your fans are frustrated and you find yourself in the bottom three." 

WhiteJC

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jan/07/football-transfer-rumours?

Football transfer rumours: Robbie Keane to Fulham?
Today's rumours mill to the left, then mill to the right

Small earthquake in Sydney, not many rumours – which has the potential for filling the Mill with all manner of fevered speculation about the future of the "January Four", greying pudgy-faced men (see above) whose P45s (see above) may or may not be honing into view. First off there's Avram Grant. The Star reckons West Ham have pulled the plug on taking Steve Sidwell from Aston Villa because they're going to give the Israeli the old Spanish archer. Sidwell has had a nice chat with Wolves but Fulham, queue-jumping not for the first time in today's papers, are ready to pounce. Steve McClaren is busily watching old Mike Reid videos to brush up on his Knees Up Mother Brown lingo for his triumphant return to the Premier League with Yer Actual, says the Mail, but so far only one of "the Davids", the two lovely men who fittingly look like the very image of Michelangelo's Renaissance masterpiece, is behind him. David Sullivan is a Macca fan while Chris Hughton, Sam Allardyce and Martin Jol are thought better alternatives by the other half of the two-headed beast.

As for Roy Hodgson, the Sun thinks he's already said his goodbyes to the Liverpool players in the dressing room at Ewood Park after the 3-1 defeat and despite men with buckets and cloths being dispatched to remove a Scouse Banksy's "Hodgson Out" motif outside Melwood, more writing is metaphorically on the wall. He'll be replaced by Owen Coyle, the Star thinks, while Porto's Andre Villas-Boas is the man favoured by Damien Comolli and the Sun. That means Vedran Corluka, Hodgson's No1 transfer window target, will not be on his way from Spurs and Robert Huth will be stopping at Stoke.

Carlo Ancelotti is far more secure at Chelsea – for now at least – and will sign Gary Cahill from Bolton as Liverpool don't have a spare £20m sitting idly in John W Henry's cigar box. Wanderers will replace him with Middlesbrough's David Wheater.

As for Ged Houllier – the Sun contends that he's got three games to save his job but flim-flam is circulating in the Mail about his "odd" behaviour, such as congratulating his players after they were defeated by Sunderland. He'll console himself with far stranger behaviour – taking Wayne Bridge from Manchester City on loan.

Wolves are rather partial to Millwall's Steve Morison and will "table a £3m bid", presumably if the table has sturdy legs, while Arsenal like the cut of Radamel Falcao's jib. Fifty-three goals in 64 Porto league games is a phenomenal record and he looks a snip at £15m. Two words of warning: Mário Jardel.

Robbie Keane, the boyhood fan of Celtic, Liverpool and Leeds United, will tickle the denizens of either St Andrew's, Craven Cottage or Upton Park by regaling them of his lifelong ambition to join their clubs this week for a £7m fee that will free him from Harry Redknapp's bench. However, if it turns out that Keane didn't roam the streets of Tallaght dreaming of becoming the next Simon Sturridge, Blues will turn to Manchester City's Jô.

Newcastle are going to be active over the next week, taking David Bentley on loan from Tottenham to run very slowly up the right wing, Freddie Sears from West Ham, to score once every three years, and Sebastian Larsson from Birmingham for £1.5m, just to be spiteful to Sunderland who thought they'd done a deal for the Swede.

Charlie Adam may be about to say his goodbyes to Blackpool and hotfoot it to Blackburn or Birmingham but the Tangerines will get over him by asking Plymouth's Bradley Wright-Phillips for a hot date. Rovers, meanwhile, have hit a hitch over getting Roque Santa Cruz back on loan from Manchester City. Monaco are eyeing Everton's Louis Saha with a very powerful telescope while, joy of joys, Alan "I'm not a Championship player" Smith may be about to undertake his second stint in the division and at Leeds United as Ken Bates prepares to kill the fatted calf and welcome the prodigal son and his short-lived clothing line, "Alan Smith 17", back into the Elland Road fold.

And finally Cyril? It's Roy "Don't Cry for Me, Rushmere St Andrews" Keane. Out at Ipswich to be replaced by Chris Hughton, if West Ham don't get there first.

WhiteJC

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/cc_league1/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/01/07/manual_100442.html&TEAMHD=nationwide2

NEW BOYS CLEARED FOR FA CUP TIE

Peterborough will have midfielder Adam Clayton and new striker signing Kieran Agard available for the FA Cup trip to Barclays Premier League side Fulham.

Leeds have given permission for Clayton to feature, while 21-year-old Agard - signed on loan from Everton until the end of the season - has also received the green light to be involved.

Former Lincoln midfielder Lee Frecklington is expected to miss out again with his ankle problem, and luckless striker Dave Hibbert is a long-term absentee with a dislocated knee and is not expected to return until March.

Playmaker George Boyd remains a doubt after he turned an ankle in training last weekend and missed Monday's impressive 4-1 win over Walsall.

Midfielder Charlie Lee is also battling an ankle injury which kept him out of Bank Holiday action.

Posh boss Gary Johnson returns to south-west London where he was born, growing up living opposite Craven Cottage and supporting Fulham as a boy.

WhiteJC

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/football-ealing/fulham-fc-ealing/2011/01/07/fulham-midfielder-simon-davies-gears-up-to-face-former-club-peterborough-64767-27947835/?

Fulham midfielder Simon Davies gears up to face former club Peterborough

HE WAS forced to sleep in the Peterborough dressing room as a 14-year-old – but tomorrow (Sat) Simon Davies is out to make sure his old side don't catch Fulham dozing in the FA Cup.

For all that, the Whites midfielder admits he will take a humbling in the world's most famous domestic trophy if it ensures Premiership survival.

Davies sadly came to the conclusion this week that coming down the Wembley stairs a winner will mean nothing if Fulham are relegated from the top flight.

But after his rocket in Tuesday's 3-0 win over West Brom, the 31-year-old is adamant his team has turned the corner – provided they don't become a giant killed by the club it took a teenage Davies eight hours by train to reach.

He said: "We're taking nothing for granted, but we've played well in the last three games and my goal helped us settle down against West Brom just when we needed it.

"But I wouldn't want to go through the season before last again when we escaped on the final day.

"Every minute of ever day you were thinking about what might happen. And I've been to two cup finals and lost them both – so time is running out for me.

"And it would be immense to finally win a trophy, but sadly the prizes in the Premiership far outweigh the FA Cup."
Davies remembered back to a time when playing Premiership and international football was a childish fantasy after joining League One Posh and making solitary 16-hour round trips from home in Wales.

He said: "The youth staff at Peterborough would chuck a couple of air bags down in the dressing room for five or six of us. We'd get a bit of cereal on the Saturday morning and off we would go. I would normally get home on Sunday at midnight and be back at school the following day.

"But it was a good grounding. It made you appreciate the sacrifices needed to get where you wanted."

WhiteJC

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/schwarzer-has-no-plans-to-sign-off-20110107-19ius.html?

Schwarzer has no plans to sign off
Liam Fitzgibbon, Doha

There no stopping 38-year-old Mark Schwarzer who wants to keep playing for Australia.
Photo: Reuters

RECORDS and milestones don't fire Mark Schwarzer but he is not likely to stop breaking them any time soon.

At 38, Schwarzer is still at the top of his game after an international career spanning close to 18 years.

And while many had tipped this month's Asian Cup as his international swansong, the Fulham shot-stopper said he was enjoying himself too much to think about hanging up the gloves.

Advertisement: Story continues below
Schwarzer, who was one of the most influential figures when Australia qualified for back-to-back World Cups in 2006 and 2010, said he just might like to help the Socceroos make it three straight and play on until Brazil 2014.

''At this stage in my career I'm not looking that far ahead, I'm looking year by year but who knows what will happen,'' he said. ''I've signed with Fulham for another 18 months, potentially two-and-a-half years ... if you get down the track and maybe it's six months, eight months out from the World Cup and we've qualified, I'd have to re-assess ... At the moment I feel so long as I'm selected and in the team on merit, I want to be there.''

When the next World Cup kicks off Schwarzer will be 42 years and 244 days old. The Australian would surpass Cameroon's Roger Milla (42 and 39 days) as the oldest player to participate.

Schwarzer, who made his debut against Canada in 1993, is already the oldest and longest-serving Socceroo. His 34 clean sheets for Australia is 10 more than his nearest rival, Zeljko Kalac.

And with 82 caps, he is on track to notch up another milestone if Australia can make the final of the 16-team Asian Cup tournament beginning today, requiring six more appearances to surpass Alex Tobin's record for caps in internationals.

Respectful of history, the significance of those feats is not lost on Schwarzer but they're not the reason he wants to play on.

''Of course you do have little sort of goals along the way that you do want to achieve, things in the back of your mind that you do look upon every now and then,'' Schwarzer said. ''But that's not what drives me.

''What drives me is the determination to play for my country and the hunger to succeed and have success and achieve and accomplish something for the national team.

''[The Asian Cup] is still relatively new ground for us. We want to be the second major team to win a tournament in Asia behind the Matildas and that would be something very, very special.

''But also what would be special is to be involved in a national team that qualifies Australia for a third consecutive World Cup.''

AAP

WhiteJC

http://www.theposh.com/page/NewsDetail/0,,10427~2260851,00.html?

Fulham v Posh: The Match Preview

Peterborough United will be backed by close to 5,000 supporters on Saturday as Gary Johnson's men travel to Craven Cottage to face Premier League side Fulham in the third round of the FA Cup, sponsored by E.ON (3pm).

Fulham go into the clash on the back of a comprehensive 3-0 victory over West Bromwich Albion, while Posh are in good form themselves, five matches unbeaten in all competitions.

TEAM NEWS

Posh include two new loan signings in their squad after Jonathan Obika and Kieran Agard joined from Tottenham Hotspur and Everton respectively.

George Boyd remains a doubt, while Dave Hibbert is definitely out. Lee Frecklington will play for a Posh XI at Histon on Saturday (3pm) with Dominic Green, Rene Howe, Jay Davies, Romone McCrae and Danny Mills also involved in that squad.

Fulham are sweating on the fitness of striker Andrew Johnson (hamstring) while Bobby Zamora is still out. Simon Davies is expected to feature against his former club.

ONE TO WATCH

Centre back Brede Hangeland scored in the win over the Baggies and the towering defender caused no end of problems from set-pieces with his aerial ability. A powerful, tall centre back, he will be a difficult obstacle for the Posh strikers to evade.

MANAGER QUOTES

'I was born in Fulham, I went to school there and I played there as a kid. Fulham is my team and most of my family are supporters too so it is a big game for them, not just for me. I can't wait to go back and try to put one over on them. I know our players are looking forward to it as much as I am. The lads will have friends and family members in the stands just as I will.

'It would be fantastic to get a win or to bring Fulham back here for a replay which would no doubt bring some money in. The FA Cup throws up lots of good results for underdogs and we have to hope that we provide one of them this weekend. It is an occasion for us to enjoy as we try to match our game against that of a Premier League team.

'I just want to see us cause Fulham a problem while trying to stop their very potent attack. And if we are able to cause a top-level team like Fulham problems it will stand us in good stead when we come up against League One opponents. We haven't prepared any differently for this game than we would any other. We will try to win the game and see what comes of it.

'It is case of needing 11 heroes and that's certainly how the players will be treated if they are successful. My job is to keep them relaxed and make sure they go out there to compete. A Premier League side will soon punish us if we are not on our game and that's not something we want to happen,' Johnson said.

DIGGER DAVIES

Simon Davies spoke to Fulham's official website and remembered his time as a youngster at London Road: 'The youth staff at Peterborough would chuck a couple of air bags down in the dressing room for five or six of us. We'd get a bit of cereal on the Saturday morning and off we would go. I would normally get home on Sunday at midnight and be back at school the following day. But it was a good grounding. It made you appreciate the sacrifices needed to get where you wanted,' Davies said.

TICKET INFORMATION

Posh have sold over 4,500 tickets for the game. There will be very limited tickets available to purchase at the turnstiles on Saturday.

WhiteJC

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/fulham-set-to-win-steve-sidwell-chase-2178709.html?

Fulham set to win Steve Sidwell chase

Fulham manager Mark Hughes expects Steve Sidwell to sign for the club later this afternoon.

The Aston Villa midfielder, who appeared destined for West Ham before Christmas, has passed a medical at Craven Cottage.

Hughes said: "Things can happen but at some point this afternoon Steve should sign for us. He ticks all the boxes for us and has been in my mind for some time.

"He is well admired as a box-to-box player who can get you a goal and he wants to be part of what we are doing here. He wants to get his career back on track. I hope he will have a long career here."

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/aston-villa/6640133/Wolves-give-up-on-Sidwell?

Cottagers close in on SS capture

Fulham manager Mark Hughes expects Aston Villa midfielder Steve Sidwell to sign for the Cottagers on Friday afternoon.

Sidwell, who appeared destined for West Ham before Christmas, has passed a medical at Craven Cottage.

Hughes said: "Things can happen but at some point this afternoon Steve should sign for us. He ticks all the boxes for us and has been in my mind for some time.

"He is well admired as a box-to-box player who can get you a goal and he wants to be part of what we are doing here. He wants to get his career back on track. I hope he will have a long career here."

Wolves had been in discussions with the 28-year-old having already agreed a fee with Villa, but are resigned to losing out to Fulham.

Club chief executive Jez Moxey told the club website: "Fulham have come in for him, and, rather than take over his contract which runs to the end of the season, they have offered him a long-term deal.

"We move on, we've always said how difficult it is to get players in, especially at this time of the year.

"We never believe a player is ours until he actually signs, so there was no great surprise - although there was disappointment - here because we always knew there were other clubs interested.

"Even after a few days into the window's opening, it's already proving just as difficult as in previous years.

"However we continue to actively pursue at least two or three potential new signings."

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/match/preview/978/6640114/Fulham-v-Peterborough-preview?

Fulham v Peterborough preview

Team news for Saturday afternoon's FA Cup third-round clash between Fulham and Peterborough at Craven Cottage.

Mark Hughes is hoping striker Moussa Dembele recovers from an ankle injury before naming his side for the game against Posh.

Andrew Johnson is sidelined after suffering a minor hamstring tear which kept him out of the victory against West Brom.

Long-term casualty Bobby Zamora will also miss the clash.

Peterborough will have midfielder Adam Clayton and new striker signing Kieran Agard available for the game against the Cottagers.

Leeds have given permission for Clayton to feature, while 21-year-old Agard - signed on loan from Everton until the end of the season - has also received the green light to be involved.

Former Lincoln midfielder Lee Frecklington is expected to miss out again with his ankle problem, and luckless striker Dave Hibbert is a long-term absentee with a dislocated knee and is not expected to return until March.

Playmaker George Boyd remains a doubt after he turned an ankle in training last weekend and missed Monday's impressive 4-1 win over Walsall.

Midfielder Charlie Lee is also battling an ankle injury which kept him out of Bank Holiday action.

Posh boss Gary Johnson returns to south-west London where he was born, growing up living opposite Craven Cottage and supporting Fulham as a boy.

Fulham (from): Stockdale, Pantsil, Hangeland, Hughes, Baird, Davies, Riise, Murphy, Etuhu, Duff, Dempsey, E Johnson, Kamara, Gera, Dembele, Etheridge, Salcido, Greening, Halliche.

WhiteJC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/fa_cup/9341827.stm?

BBC Fulham v Peterborough

TEAM NEWS
Fulham are hoping striker Moussa Dembele recovers from an ankle injury before naming their side.
Andrew Johnson is sidelined after suffering a minor hamstring tear which kept him out of the West Ham match.
Peterborough will hand a late fitness test to winger George Boyd (ankle) who missed Monday's win over Walsall.
Kieran Agard could make his debut after joining on loan from Everton, whilst Leeds loanee Adam Clayton has also been given permission to play.

BIG-MATCH FACTS
The tie in context
• This is one of four Premier League against League One ties in the third round.

• Peterborough are one of 11 League One clubs to have successfully negotiated the first two rounds.
Gulf in class
• Fulham are 37 places higher than Posh on the league ladder.

Head-to-head
• Peterborough have won seven of the 12 competitive meetings with Fulham.
• The most recent meetings where in 1991/92, the only season these clubs have been in the same division together, when Posh did the double in the old Third Division.
• The London Road club are looking for a fifth successive win over the Cottagers.
• Fulham have not beaten the Cambridgeshire club in seven meetings subsequent to a League Cup tie in September 1976.

FA Cup records and best performances
• These clubs have only been paired together once before in the competition.
• Fulham won the third round tie 1-0 after a replay at London Road in January 1959.
• Peterborough are still to score an FA Cup goal against the Thames-side club.

The clubs
FULHAM
Current form
• Coming off a 3-0 home victory over West Brom on Tuesday.
• That was their fourth Premier League victory this season and their second maximum in three outings, which followed an eight-match winless sequence.
FA Cup form
• Quarter-finalists in each of the last two seasons.
• Manager Mark Hughes was four times a winner as a player with Manchester United and Chelsea.
• Last knocked out by lower division opposition in January 2008, when League One Bristol Rovers got the better of them after a penalty shoot-out.

PETERBOROUGH UNITED
Current form
• Won three and drawn two of their last five competitive matches.
• Southampton were the last club to beat them 4-1 at St Mary's on 20 November.
• Scored 59 goals in 28 league and cup games this season.
FA Cup form
• Won 99 FA Cup matches.
• Craig Mackail-Smith scored against Stockport and Bury in the first two rounds to take his career tally of FA Cup goals to 12, to making him Peterborough's club record goalscorer in the competition.
• The 1965 quarter-finalists have only been further than the third round once in the last five seasons (2007/08).

Replay date
Tuesday, 18 January 2011 (Kick off: 1945 GMT)

Match officials
Referee: Lee Mason (Lancashire)
Assistant referees: Ceri Richards and David Plowright
Fourth official: David Phillips

WhiteJC

http://www.footymad.net/storytext.asp?article=3557384

DEMBELE DOUBT FOR COTTAGERS

Boss Mark Hughes is hoping striker Moussa Dembele recovers from an ankle injury before naming his side for the visit of Peterborough to Craven Cottage.

Andrew Johnson is sidelined after suffering a minor hamstring tear which kept him out of the victory against West Brom.

Long-term casualty Bobby Zamora will also miss the FA Cup third-round clash.

Source: PA

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=227385

Fulham - Keane in the Frame!
There was a surprising development last night that is if the tabloid press has assembled their information correctly!

With Mark Hughes often bemoaning that the side lacks a cutting edge, primarily because of injuries to our forwards, it appears that Fulham have jumped to the head of the queue to sign the Spurs forward, Robbie Keane.

At one stage it had been decreed that Birmingham City were favourites to secure his signature but a reluctance to pay the reported transfer fee of £8 million has been cited as a reason for the deal falling through.

We, of course, await confirmation from the club over any official interest though!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=227385#ixzz1AMo1ZrMu

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=227386

Fulham - Sidwell Deal?
The red-top tabloids have now placed Fulham as the leading contenders to sign the Aston Villa midfielder Steve Sidwell.

In recent weeks, Sidwell has been linked with a move to West Ham with it being inferred that a deal, including a medical, had been all but done. Subsequently, Wolves also declared an interest in the player nut this too appears to have fallen by the wayside with it being implied that Sidwell would like a return to London.

Strangely enough, there`s no mention of a fee being involved, as yet, but we`ll keep you posted regarding any further developments!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=227386#ixzz1AMoE1Ayh

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/01/07/fulham-snub-blackburn-approach-for-damien-duff-82029-27949375/?

Fulham snub Blackburn approach for Damien Duff

FULHAM boss Mark Hughes has rubbished reports that Damien Duff could be on his way back to Blackburn.

Rovers are keen to bring the winger to Ewood Park – almost 14 years after making his debut there as a teenager.

But Hughes has slapped a not-for-sale sign on the Republic of Ireland international.

He said: "There was something in the press and I think they [Blackburn] were trying to make contact with me to discuss the situation.

"But he's not available. He's part of what we're doing so the conversation doesn't need to take place.

"He's contracted to Fulham and I have to protect the interests of the club. Allowing a player of Damien Duff's quality to leave would be bad management."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/01/07/fulham-snub-blackburn-approach-for-damien-duff-82029-27949375/?#ixzz1AMxzbPSK

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/01/07/fulham-priced-out-of-move-for-spurs-stars-david-bentley-and-robbie-keane-82029-27949476/?

Fulham priced out of move for Spurs stars David Bentley and Robbie Keane

MARK Hughes admits he's been priced out of a move for Tottenham duo David Bentley and Robbie Keane.

With Bobby Zamora, Andy Johnson and Mousa Dembele all dogged by injuries, the Fulham boss has made a striker his number one priority in the January transfer window.

Harry Redknapp has told the out-of-favour Spurs pair they are free to leave White Hart Lane, putting the rest of the Premier League on red alert.

But Hughes hinted he couldn't afford to bring them to Craven Cottage.

He said: "There's a lot of players being mentioned out there who I admire, but sometimes a deal to bring players like that to a club like ours could be a little bit prohibited.

"Although in the past there's been a will to bring players here, sometimes we haven't been able to do it because of the finances involved.

"David's a player I've worked with and arguably had his best spell with me at Blackburn.

"He was able to get a big-money move to Tottenham but it hasn't gone as well as he would've liked. He's looking to start playing again and enjoy his football.

"But it's another situation where players go to top clubs who pay significant amounts of money, and it's a big ask for Fulham to match the demands of the player's club and the players themselves."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/01/07/fulham-priced-out-of-move-for-spurs-stars-david-bentley-and-robbie-keane-82029-27949476/?#ixzz1AMyF5AVC

WhiteJC

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk:80/sport/football/peterborough-united/posh_fa_cup_grant_hit_a_cracker_past_van_der_sar_1_2281170?

Posh FA Cup: Grant hit a cracker past Van der Sar

LINING up against mighty Fulham in the third round of the FA Cup is nothing new for Posh skipper Grant McCann.

The Northern Ireland international has been there and done that before.

He was part of the Cheltenham Town team that went down to 2-1 to the Cottagers when they were playing at their temporary home of Loftus Road back in 2003.

It was still a memorable occasion for the midfield star who fired his side into an early lead when blasting a fine shot past Fulham keeper Edwin Van der Sar.

Cheltenham's lead was short-lived as Louis Saha soon equalised before breaking their hearts with a last-gasp winner, but McCann is now looking forward to having another crack at claiming the scalp of the capital club.

McCann said: "It was a good occasion and scoring made it even better, but we were very disappointed to be on the receiving end of a late goal from Saha.

"Another crack at them back at Whaddon Road was the very least we deserved from the game and we all had our hearts set on that by the time he got the winner.

"My parents came over from Northern Ireland to watch me in that game so it was special to score in front of them and in a game of such stature.

"The ball broke to me about 25 yards out and there wasn't a lot on, so I had a shot and the ball swerved in. It is one of the goals I will always remember like the one I scored for Scunthorpe at Wembley and my first for Northern Ireland.

"I'm expecting a very good game against Fulham again. We go there with nothing to lose and have to concentrate on playing our game. The chances are there will be a shock somewhere in the FA Cup this weekend, so why not us?"

McCann was joined in the Cheltenham line-up seven years ago by former Posh midfield man Richard Forsyth and former city resident John Finnigan.

Tomorrow he is likely to have loanee Adam Clayton alongside him after he was given clearance to play by Leeds United. Both those men caught the eye in a somewhat flattering 4-1 success over League One basement boys Walsall on Bank Holiday Monday.

McCann added: "We didn't play too well the other day but you would rather it be like that and get the win than put in a cracking performance and get nothing from a game.

"If we carry on getting the points we won't have too many complaints and the win on Monday took our little unbeaten run on to five games.

"It was nice for me to have a hand in three of the goals and I feel I am starting to get my form back a bit.

"My performances dipped and it was probably my own fault for trying to play through injuries, but my fitness is there now and I want to start playing at my best again.

"A lot of players had their form go at the same time and you could see that in our results, but steadily things are coming right again.

"Fulham is a game we can go and enjoy but we have a big league game against Brentford here on Tuesday and that is the most important one. We definitely owe them one after they beat us quite easily at their place."

WhiteJC

http://cottagers.blogspot.com/2011/01/deja-vu-again-ful-3-0-wba.html?

Craven Cottagers
Following the 2007/8, 2008/9, 2009/10 and 2010/11 seasons at Craven Cottage - recounted by season ticket holders who aren't actually Fulham fans

Deja Vu again - FUL 3 - 0 WBA

I do like night games And the round of Premier League matches this midweek were so interesting that I think it should be done more often. Fulham fans were spoilt on Thursday nights last season, especially considering the results the team achieved, so let's have some more.

Most people are getting giddy about this game and how it's a corner turned, but it was just a bit more of the same for me, the only difference being that WBA couldn't defend for toffee. It kind of felt like the false dawn experienced after the comfortable dismantling of Wigan in October which was followed up with 8 games without a win. Still Fulham were due their slice of luck the way things have been going this season - hopefully it won't have all come in the same match.
The first half was almost ruined for me by the incessant prattling of someone behind me comparing everything to the computer games Fifa 11 and Football Manager. It really was tiresome.  Fortunately it seemed to be for his mates as well, as he barely mentioned either game in the second half after they took the mickey out of him. I don't know where they were supposed to be sitting, but they were marauding around the stand like scavengers looking for free seats that they could sit near some people they know. Hey, at least they turn up, unlike Ish these days. I do wonder why he renewed his season ticket again. I think he's missed the last six.

The goals Fulham scored from corners were ridiculously easy, so much so it begs the question why Simon Davies is so keen to take short ones all the time. But in this game they were helped by the diminutive size of the makeshift West Brom back line and Scott Carson seemingly suffering from post traumatic stress disorder after his attempt at a save in the first half from Davies' hopeful shot just speared the ball into the top corner, much to the astonishment of the Hammy End.

Johnny P had one of his more random games, while the rest of the squad continued some decent form without looking too dangerous. The subs Eddie Johnson and Riise were woeful in the short time they had though. The former didn't even get a touch and the later looked concussed. It was a shame - he was occasionally effective last season.

As to where Steve Sidwell fits into this team I don't know. It's the strikeforce that needs strengthening as a priority, not the midfield.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/January/HughesPeterboroughPreview.aspx?

A Special Competition

Fulham Manager Mark Hughes described the FA Cup as a "special competition" ahead of the Third Round visit of Peterborough United on Saturday.

The Whites have reached the Quarter-Final of the Cup in both of the past two seasons, and Hughes is determined to steer the Club to further success in a competition he is more than familiar with. As a player he reached four Finals with Manchester United and Chelsea, before guiding Blackburn Rovers to two Semi-Finals in three seasons there as manager.

"It's a competition that I have a great deal of affection for," Hughes told fulhamfc.com. "It's been a big part of my career. A lot of the success I had as a player came in the FA Cup and, for me, it's the best club cup competition in the world.

"This will be my first involvement in it with Fulham and I'm very much looking forward to it. Of course, the Premier League is huge and it is extremely important, but I just think the FA Cup is a special competition – it's unique.

"It's one that I take very seriously and that will be very much the case here. It's a great chance for teams to do well and have a bit of success, so why not have a go and see how far you can get?"

Fulham enter Saturday's encounter in fine form having recorded two victories from their last three games, with defeats of Stoke City and West Bromwich Albion either side of a decent performance at Tottenham on New Year's Day.

"People have asked me whether I think Tuesday's victory over West Brom was the turning point," revealed Hughes. "But I actually think that it came sooner than that. We were playing well up to a certain point, and even in the West Ham game there were positives to be taken.

"After that one we knew that we had two difficult games on the horizon with trips to Stoke and then Tottenham. We played exceptionally well at the Britannia Stadium and then we gave a good technical display at White Hart Lane.

"I think those two games really set up our performance against West Brom. Now we are in a mindset where we know exactly what we need to do and how to win Premier League games.

"But now the focus is on the FA Cup and it's a competition we will pay a lot of respect to, because we want to do well. I have said before that a good run in the Cup can put a team in the habit of winning - and that's what we want. I'm looking for a similar result and performance on Saturday."

The Manager is expecting to field a strong line-up against Peterborough, who go into the game unbeaten in five League One matches.

With Andrew Johnson temporarily sidelined and Bobby Zamora a long-term casualty, Hughes is hoping that Belgium international Mousa Dembele is fit to play after a lengthy lay-off from an ankle injury.

"We came through the last game unscathed, so in theory it could be the same team," he said. "We're still waiting on Mousa, but it would be nice to get him involved because he hasn't played for a very long time now.

"He didn't train with the group today, although he has been doing a bit this week. We'll have to see on the morning of the game whether or not he will be in contention, but he's scheduled to do a bit more work with our physios.

"Other than that, the rest of the players are good to go. There are certainly no issues with their recovery so I have the benefit of choosing my team from virtually the whole squad – obviously with the exception of those that are currently injured.

"You can prioritise and say that the league is the main focus because it's our bread and butter, but I don't necessarily take that view. We're on a good run at the moment and, as a result, I'm more inclined to keep those players together because continuity is important.

"It's frustrating for the players that haven't been playing and I have to say that they have been very patient. I do feel for those players, but it's about making sure that the balance is right and that the team is settled.

"That's not to say some of them won't be involved, but if you make too many changes it can affect the dynamics of the team and come back to bite you on the backside. This is a big game for Peterborough and they will certainly be up for this one and want to get the better of us. If we do not understand that on the day, then the potential is there for us to be caught out.

"We can't let that happen because we have intentions of doing well in this competition."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/January/HughesPeterboroughPreview.aspx?#ixzz1AN7Whu5m