more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff - 22/09/22...

Started by WhiteJC, September 22, 2022, 12:16:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

4 key mistakes Fulham have rectified on return to Premier League

Fulham have started the season well and currently sit inside the European places heading into the international break with Marco Silva transforming the Cottagers' fortunes

Aleksandar Mitrovic has been on fire for Fulham this season (Image: Getty Images)

While a number of big clubs have always plied their trade in the top division, many recognisable sides haven't had that luxury of constant safety.

Fulham are one of those teams that have been branded as a 'yo-yo' club in recent years, with the Whites suffering relegation in their last two seasons in the Premier League. The west London outfit finished 19th during the 2018/19 campaign, before going down in 18th two years later.

However, Marco Silva's side look like they have learnt the lessons this time around and have began the season in brilliant form. The Cottagers currently sit sixth heading into the international break, having picked up 11 points from a possible 21 so far.

So, with that in mind, Mirror Football have taken a look at four mistakes Fulham have rectified this term from their past two experiences.

Consistent XI
One possible reason why the Whites have started the campaign superbly is that Silva has kept a similar side to the one that won the Championship last season. Nine players from the promotion-winning side started Fulham's opening day 2-2 draw against Liverpool, with Joao Palhinha and Andreas Pereira the only exceptions.

In recent weeks, Bernd Leno, Issa Diop and Willian have come into the XI but Silva has seemed to stick with those already at the club, rather than completely change the side. That is something that happened in both of the Whites' last two top-flight campaigns, with the Fulham hierarchy panicking and bringing in as many players as they could to try and stay up - inevitably concluding with lots of changes each week.

Bernd Leno made some important saves in Fulham's 3-2 win over Nottingham Forest last time out ( Image:
Getty Images)

But Silva has placed trust in the players that got them into the Premier League and it's a strategy that has worked thus far. He has also stayed loyal with the 4-3-3 formation for most of their matches, with two out and out wingers and three central midfielders.

After the draw against Liverpool, Fulham picked up another important point away at Wolves, before securing their first victory of the season at home to local rivals Brentford. They almost caused Arsenal a major scare at the Emirates before Mikel Arteta's side ran out 2-1 winners. Another 2-1 defeat at Tottenham was sandwiched either side of victories over Brighton and Nottingham Forest last time out.

Better recruitment
There were question marks raised when Fulham spent over £100m on 15 new players - a record in the Premier League era at the time. But some of the signings made no sense, with some on loan while others joined on a permanent deal.

Jean Michael Seri, Andre Zambo Anguissa and Alfie Mawson were amongst the big-money arrivals, but it is safe to say not many succeeded at Craven Cottage. The Cottagers had no rhythm and it felt like they were making a number of changes every week to keep everyone happy.

Jean Michaël Seri was released by Fulham in the summer ( Image:
Getty Images)

Meanwhile, it could be argued that the Cottagers didn't do enough business in summer 2020 when they returned to the top-flight. Fulham spent just £33m and the vast majority of their additions were loan players, such as Mario Lemina, Ola Aina and Ruben Loftus-Cheek.

Although some loan moves can work, others sometimes go the opposite way with question marks raised about their commitment to the cause. That was a remark hit at a number of Fulham players that season as they returned straight back to the second tier.

This time around, it feels as though Fulham have got a nice blend between quality, youth and experience in the squad. Palhinha arrived as their most expensive addition at around £18m, with Pereira, Diop, Leno, Kevin Mbabu and Carlos Vinicius, Willian, Daniel James, Manor Solomon, Laywin Kurzawa and Shane Duffy completing their summer business.

Joao Palhinha has been one of the signings of the season so far ( Image:
Getty Images)

Although it may seem a lot of new players, at least half of them have Premier League experience under their belt and pedigree of what it's like to play in a top division. It is a strategy that has worked out so far, with the Whites flying at the moment.

Defensively improved
A lot was made of Fulham's defensive record during the 18/19 season, as the Whites conceded 81 goals from their 38 matches. It was the most any side let in that season - an even worse record than Huddersfield who finished 20th.

They improved drastically in 20/21, conceding just 53 goals. However, Fulham sacrificed most of their offensive threat to ensure they were better defensively.

Former boss Scott Parker dropped Aleksandar Mitrovic and played five-at-the-back to make them more solid. But it felt like they have little to no balance in the side - something Silva has seemed to change.

Scott Parker left his post as Fulham boss in June 2021 ( Image:
Getty Images)

Although the Whites have conceded 11 goals from their opening seven matches, they have played Arsenal, Tottenham, Liverpool and Brighton and have either beaten those teams or kept the scoreline relatively respectable. Fulham are a better defensive team all over the park and defend from the front, with Mitrovic pressing more than he's done before and the signing of Palhinha has allowed them to be better in transition from defence to attack.

This isn't to mention how much Tim Ream has improved since he was last in the Premier League. The USA international has been one of the Whites' best players this season and has led the back line superbly alongside Tosin Adarabayo.

Reborn Mitrovic
One of the most bizarre decisions Parker made in 20/21 was completely dropping Mitrovic from the Fulham side. The Serbian was frozen out by the former Chelsea midfielder and decided to play Ivan Cavaleiro up front instead in a more fluid front three. But the Whites would score just 27 goals that season, with Sheffield United only posting a worse return (20).

Parker's exit in summer 2021 must've been a relief for Mitrovic and Silva got him back to his best. The 28-year-old scored 43 goals in 44 league matches last term - the most ever in the second tier - breaking Guy Whittingham's previous best of 42.

Aleksandar Mitrovic has scored six Premier League goals this season ( Image:
Getty Images)

There was fresh optimism amongst the Fulham faithful that Mitrovic would improve on his three Premier League goals last time out - and even surpass his personal record of 11 back in 18/19. It is safe to say the forward has looked reborn.

He already has six goals in his first seven matches and currently sits joint-second on the Golden Boot chart behind Erling Haaland, who has netted 11 times. Mitrovic started the season impressively, scoring twice on the opening day against Liverpool, before netting against Brentford, Arsenal, Brighton and Tottenham.

Although Mitrovic didn't score against Forest on Friday, he was involved in all three goals, drawing defenders towards him and leaving space for others to get into scoring positions. He will no doubt also have one eye on the World Cup with Serbia set to face Brazil in their opening group game.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fulham-premier-league-key-mistakes-28040514

WhiteJC

'On my last day': Willian now shares what he said to Mikel Arteta right before leaving Arsenal

Fulham winger Willian has now shared with the Athletic what he told Mikel Arteta right before leaving Arsenal.

Willian joined Arsenal after his contract expired at Chelsea back in 2020 but the Brazilian did not enjoy the best spell in North London.

After just one season at the club, the 34-year-old left by mutual consent and saved Arsenal roughly £20.5 million (Sky Sports).

The former Chelsea man secured a move to Corinthians but is now back in the Premier League with Fulham.

And Willian has now lifted the lid on his Arsenal exit and shared what he told Mikel Arteta just before he left.

Willian shares what he said to Arteta
Speaking to the Athletic, Willian has praised his former boss for doing an excellent job in North London.

"I think I'm maybe the only player who has done something like this," Willian said.

"Any other player in my situation would have stayed until the end of the contract and kept picking up the money.

"But I'm not like this. Money is not the most important thing in the world. I have to feel good, to feel motivated to go to training. I wasn't having that there so I decided to leave."

"For most of the season, we were playing without fans (because of COVID-19). I didn't see Arsenal fans.

"Maybe I needed to feel the buzz of the crowd, that it was something I missed. It was a difficult moment not just for me, but for everyone in the world. To play without fans at a new club is not easy.

"On my last day there, I spoke with the manager Mikel Arteta. I thanked him a lot for what he had done for me, for bringing me to Arsenal.

"I just wished him all the best. He is a good manager and I have great respect for Arsenal. They are doing well, they have good players. They can achieve good things this season."

Willian has got off to a decent start to his Fulham career and has already earned a starting place in Marco Silva's side.

It just didn't work out for the Brazilian at Arsenal but it's great to see that he left the club on good terms.

Arteta has refreshed the Gunners squad, building a young and exciting team.

It's clear that the club were going in a different direction after Willian was brought in and the move away was probably for the best for both parties.

https://tbrfootball.com/on-my-last-day-willian-now-shares-what-he-said-to-mikel-arteta-right-before-leaving-arsenal/

WhiteJC

Allan Saint-Maximin suffers setback, might miss Fulham game
ASM and Callum Wilson are still recovering and hoping to make it back to the pitch come October

Scott Wilson from The Northern Echo reported after the game against Bournemouth last Saturday that, in Howe's words, "Allan Saint-Maximin has suffered a setback in his recovery from injury—and faces a battle to be fit for the resumption of the Premier League programme after the international break."

Eddie Howe opted to leave the winger off the squad that faced his former club entirely, and now we know the reason behind that decision.

Saint-Maximin's injury happened in the last minutes of the Magpies game against Wolves a few weeks ago when ASM was the goalscorer for Newcastle, earning them a draw. He was expected back on the pitch by the time Newcastle was expected to face West Ham—a game later postponed—and undoubtedly for the one against Bournemouth this past Saturday. Alas, that never came to happen.

Howe spoke to the media after that game saying that "[Saint-Maximin] has had a very minor setback with the physios, so whether or not he'll be fit after the international break is slightly unclear." That, paired with the absence of striker Callum Wilson, has the Magpies' forward-line in shambles and hurting for goals.

Doubling down on his words, Howe claimed that "[ASM's injury] is certainly not long term, but it's not clear whether he'll be fit for our next game yet."

About Wilson, Howe said that "Callum's doing very well," later adding that "he was close for [Saturday's game], but I think we made an early decision that it would have been too big a risk."

With most members of Newcastle getting a well-earned rest over this and next week as part of the last international break before the 2022 World Cup, odds are Wilson and ASM get back on track soon enough—maybe even to face Fulham when the Premier League gets back at the start of October.

That's still up in the air, though, and we will have to wait to see whether or not both, one, or none of the two Magpie attackers are available and fit to play a part in the upcoming affair with the Lily Whites away from home on MD8.

https://cominghomenewcastle.sbnation.com/2022/9/21/23364598/allan-saint-maximin-suffers-setback-might-miss-fulham-game-newcastle-callum-wilson-injury-update

WhiteJC

Willian: 'I want Fulham to fight for things'
There's a terrific interview with Willian in the Athletic this morning, conducted by Simon Johnson. The full profile covers a lot of ground and is worth reading in full of a detailed look at the Brazilian winger's career and an insight into the man himself.

The elements of most interest to Fulham fans will be his relationship with Marco Silva, which seems strong:

"Before I signed, I had some conversations with the manager about everything — the positions I can play, the way the team is playing. He is a very good coach and also a nice guy. I can play everywhere, on the left flank, the right and as a No 10 as well. At Chelsea, I played more on the right but I don't have a problem where I play."

Willian's ambitions for Fulham:

"One of my motivations is to help them become an established team in the Premier League. I'm a player who always wants to compete, fight for something. That's why I also want Fulham to fight for something".

Who Mitrovic reminds him of:

"Aleksandar is a very good player. He reminds me of Didier Drogba and Diego Costa. He is strong, he can hold the ball, can attack space and can score goals like them. We have an understanding already and are trying to build it even more. Every week and every game we play together, it will come."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/09/willian-i-want-fulham-to-fight-for-things/

WhiteJC

Willian explains why he struggled at Arsenal after leaving north London after just one year

Former Arsenal winger Willian has opened up on his struggles in north London, admitting playing a season behind closed doors 'without the buzz of the crowd' had a huge impact on him.

After seven successful years at Chelsea, the Brazil international headed across the capital to join Arsenal on a free transfer in 2020.

While he registered two assists on his debut, Willian would leave the Gunners after just one year, mutually terminating his contract with the club after what he described as 'the worst time that I had lived as a professional'.

After a brief spell back in Brazil with Corinthians, the 34-year-old was back in London to join Fulham on transfer deadline day, providing an assist in the 3-2 win over Nottingham Forest last Friday.

Reflecting on his time at Arsenal, Willian has revealed he struggled for motivation in training despite leaving on good terms with Mikel Arteta.

The 2020-21 Premier League campaign was largely played out with no fans in attendance due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

And the Brazilian says the empty stadiums took its toll on his game.

'I think I'm maybe the only player who has done something like this,' Willian told the Athletic, recalling his Arsenal exit.

'Any other player in my situation would have stayed until the end of the contract and kept picking up the money. But I'm not like this. Money is not the most important thing in the world. I have to feel good, to feel motivated to go to training. I wasn't having that there so I decided to leave.'

On his struggles at the club, he added: 'For most of the season, we were playing without fans (because of COVID-19).

'I didn't see Arsenal fans. Maybe I needed to feel the buzz of the crowd, that it was something I missed. It was a difficult moment not just for me, but for everyone in the world. To play without fans at a new club is not easy.

'On my last day there, I spoke with the manager Mikel Arteta. I thanked him a lot for what he had done for me, for bringing me to Arsenal. I just wished him all the best.

'He is a good manager and I have great respect for Arsenal. They are doing well, they have good players. They can achieve good things this season.'

https://metro.co.uk/2022/09/21/willian-reveals-why-he-struggled-at-arsenal-after-just-one-year-in-north-london-17421358/?ito=newsnow-feed

WhiteJC

Fulham in the EFL: How is Ross McCormack getting on these days?

Ross McCormack is a player that will go down in EFL folklore as one of the most talented to have featured in the competition over the years.

A player that had match-winning ability and the talent and technique what few others could do in the Championship, McCormack played for some of the biggest clubs in England during his time in the second tier, enlisted to help the likes of Fulham, Leeds United and Aston Villa to try and win promotion.

He had spells with Rangers and Motherwell in Scotland before heading to England, with him playing nearly 150 times in the league for Leeds United over a four year period, before heading to Fulham.

The Cottagers had just been relegated from the Premier League after over a decade in the top flight and McCormack would spend two years there, scoring 38 league goals in 89 league games.

In 2016 he moved to Aston Villa as they sought to get themselves out of the Championship but his time there was a little less productive, with him spending a lot of time away from Villa Park on loan.

In 2020 he'd join Aldershot Town but did not play much for them, and he left in 2021.

McCormack is now without a club and having turned 36 in August in remains to be seen what happens next for him.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-in-the-efl-how-is-ross-mccormack-getting-on-these-days/

WhiteJC

Shane Duffy's post Celtic woes continue as Fulham defender warned Ireland place is at risk

The defender has struggled in recent years at club level but continued to impress for his country

Former Celtic defender Shane Duffy has been warned his Republic of Ireland place is at risk if he continues to sit on the bench for Fulham after his summer move.

The defender has played just two minutes of Premier League football this season, both coming as late subs in games against Liverpool and Brentford as Fulham tried to see the game out. He did start an EFL Cup clash with Crawley but the London club crashed to a 2-0 defeat and he's not made an appearance since then, meaning it's a month since his last match.

Duffy is in the Ireland squad that will take on Scotland this week but his boss Stephen Kenny insists he won't have any issues with axing him from the team. He's not the only one struggling for game time with Seamus Coleman also at risk, with the Ireland captain unable to get into the Everton team ahead of Scotland star Nathan Patterson since the former Rangers defender became a regular this season.

Kenny admits he doesn't have a rule that they have to be playing every week but he admitted he can't go into games with too many players out of contention, particularly if their competition for a spot is getting game time.

Duffy, who spent a season on loan at Celtic and struggled in the Scottish Premiership under Neil Lennon, is one of those with Ireland's defence arguably the strongest part of their squad.

And when asked if he would be worried about dropping two senior members of his squad, Kenny replied: "Would I be afraid of doing it? No. I wouldn't be afraid of leaving anyone out. I don't think I'd be sitting here if that was the case. You always have to make tough decisions.

"They're two brilliant people in the group, both had tremendous careers. They're both Premier League players.

"They are out of their teams at the moment but it's only seven games into the season. I'm sure they'll get opportunities to get back into the Everton and Fulham teams respectively.

"It's not ideal that any of the players that are not playing in their teams. You wouldn't want to go in with too many players not having played matches. It is a dilemma. Nothing is straightforward.

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/shane-duffys-post-celtic-woes-25069541

WhiteJC

Fulham Partners With Fitzdares

The world's oldest bookmaker partners with London's Original Football Club.

Fitzdares, one of the world's original bookmakers, has partnered with London's oldest professional football club, Fulham FC. With Fitzdares dating back to 1882 and Fulham to 1879, this iconic West London tie-up is a marriage of two historic institutions.

Fitzdares sees Fulham FC as the perfect Club to plant their football goalposts.

As part of the innovative partnership and through an emphasis on shared moments, history and humour, Fitzdares and Fulham plan to launch a series of activations and messaging that will bring a sense of fun into the game.

Fitzdares, who have previously been named Racing Sportsbook of the Year, also boasts a highly exclusive members-only Club in Mayfair called The Fitzdares Club.

The Fitzdares Club provides a comfortable and luxurious location in the heart of Mayfair to watch Fulham games, ideal for Fitzdares members who are not able to watch the team live.

William Woodhams, Fitzdares CEO, said: "This partnership has its roots in the 19th century and we are bursting with excitement to finally join up with London's original football Club.

"Dare I say, the only place better to watch football than The Fitzdares Club is at the Cottage. We will be adding a Craven Cottage Pie to our menu immediately to bring a taste of West London royalty to Mayfair."

Jon Don-Carolis, Fulham FC Sales Director, added: "We are delighted to welcome Fitzdares as Fulham FC's Official UK Betting Partner.  Our organisations are proud of our heritage and embrace innovation whilst providing a closer and more personal experience for our fans and audiences.

"An aligned partnership between the world's oldest bookmakers and London's original football club is poised to deliver a range of exciting and creative initiatives throughout the season."

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2022/september/21/fulham-partners-with-fitzdares/

WhiteJC

Harris: Surreal Moment

Following his first senior call-up, Luke Harris sat down with the FAW to discuss making the step up for Wales' upcoming Nations League fixtures against Belgium and Poland.

Luke, first call-up to the Cymru senior squad – how did you feel when you found out?

I was absolutely buzzing. It was just such a surreal moment – just buzzing. As soon as I found out, I told my Mum and Dad. It was a proud day for me, my family.

How was your parents' reaction?

They were a bit emotional. My Dad's side's Welsh and my Mum's side's Irish, so it was just a proud day.

How have you settled in over the last two days? Have you had a warm welcome from the players?

Yeah, it's been lovely. All the players have been nice and the staff have been lovely, so it's been a good few days.

Tell us a bit about yourself, what sort of player are you?

I like to get into the box and score. I love working hard for the team and getting around the pitch, and I just love winning.

What are you hoping to get out of the next week in camp with the seniors?

Just to make a good impression. Not just on the staff, but with the boys as well. And hopefully make my debut, that would top off the week.

What would that mean for you then, if you put on the Cymru shirt for the first time, and hopefully make a good impression on the manager as well?

It will be a proud day but I think it will be an emotional day as well for me, my family. It would mean everything.

Over the years you've played for our 17s, 18s, 19s – how useful was that experience for you before coming into this camp?

It was good. We played some big teams through the youth, so that's good experience coming to this camp, and I'm just looking forward to it now, looking forward to what the week is going to hold.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2022/september/21/harris-surreal-moment/

WhiteJC

Fulham FC Women in action this international break

Calling all Fulham fans! Fill your weekend with Fulham this international break with Fulham FC Women taking on AFC Acorns at Motspur Park on Sunday.

Fulham FC Women continue their London and South East Women's Regional Football League campaign this weekend, and we're encouraging all supporters of the Club to come together to cheer on the side as they look to bounce back from last Sunday's defeat to Ebbsfleet United.

Tickets for Women's home fixtures are priced at £5 for Adults and just £1 for under 18s. Alternatively, don't miss the chance to support Fulham FC Women all season long with a limited number of 22/23 Season Tickets available to purchase for just £40 for Adults and £5 for juniors!

Tickets can be purchased online at tickets.fulhamfc.com or by calling 0203 871 0810 (Mon – Fri, 9am-5pm).

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2022/september/21/fulham-fc-women-in-action/

WhiteJC

How are Fulham's players performing out on loan?

When Fulham earned promotion to the Premier League last season, the expectation was that they would supplement their current crop of players without going overboard in the transfer market.

However, as many as 11 first-team signings have been made, many of those arrivals possessing the kind of experience which should help the Cottagers remain in the division.

As a result, Marco Silva has had to make room in his squad and lower the club's wage bill by giving permission for a number of squad players and prospects to go elsewhere on a temporary basis.

Here, Sports Mole takes a look at how those Fulham players in question on their time away from the capital.

WHICH PLAYERS ARE FINDING IT BENEFICIAL?
As it stands, minimal players have found life away from Fulham this season very beneficial, but big-money signing Rodrigo Muniz will be content with life at Middlesbrough.

The former Flamengo prospect has two goals from five games in the Championship and has generally impressed with his performances.

Kieron Bowie can also be satisfied with his efforts for Northampton Town, the forward chipping in with two goals and one assist from eight appearances in League Two.

WHICH PLAYERS NEED MORE TIME?
There are far more players who fall into the bracket of requiring more time to impress, although defender Joe Bryan appears to be on the right path.

While the left-back has just 14 minutes of Ligue 1 action under his belt at Nice, the Englishman has made two starts in the Europa Conference League and scored against Partizan Belgrade.

Steven Sessegnon had been making an impact at Charlton Athletic, starting on three occasions before sustaining an injury in the middle of August.

Jay Stansfield, back at the club of his late father, has made one start and two substitute outings in League One for Exeter City.

Sylvester Jasper has three substitute outings under his belt for Bristol Rovers in the same division, while over in Turkey, Ivan Cavaleiro has chipped in with one assist from two substitute appearances totalling 13 minutes.

Defender Terence Kongolo is yet to feature for Ligue 2 outfit Le Havre as he remains patient to remind people of his ability after a long-term absence.

WHO MAY NEED TO RETURN TO CRAVEN COTTAGE IN JANUARY?
A recall option may not be part of the agreement, but Paulo Gazzaniga would have hoped to have been starting for Girona in La Liga at this stage.

Instead, the Argentine is yet to receive any game time and has remained among the replacements since his arrival on September 1.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/feature/how-are-fulhams-players-performing-out-on-loan_494970.html?newsnow

WhiteJC

News coming from Arsenal now makes Fulham look very silly – Our View

Back in April, Arsenal decided to bring Maldini Kacurri to Hale End after the 16-year-old was released by Fulham.

Per Mertesacker – who oversees the Arsenal Academy as Manager – saw plenty of promise in the Albanian, despite the fact he had failed to win over the Cottagers, who spent last season playing in the Championship.

It is unusual for a teenager released by a Championship side to be snapped up by a club as big as Arsenal.

However, Mertesacker clearly has a good eye for a defender if recent news is anything to go by.

What's the story?
Well, Fulham now look a little bit foolish after deciding to release Kacurri.

The Albania Under-17 international has now been promoted to the Arsenal Under-21 squad, as a result of his blistering start to life in north London.

Kacurri was already being tested above his age group, making four appearances for the Arsenal Under-18 side so far this season, and he has coped with the challenge admirably.

Arsenal have handed the No.82 shirt to the precocious centre-back.

If Kacurri continues his fine progress in the Under-21, then we see no reason why he cannot follow in the footsteps of Ethan Nwaneri.

The 15-year-old only recently made his debut for the Under-21 side at Arsenal, but after doing well, Mikel Arteta amazingly decided to hand him his Premier League debut.

At the age of 15 years and 181 days, Nwaneri is now the youngest Premier League player of all time.

Arsenal continue to raid Fulham
Kacurri isn't the only prospect Arsenal have taken from Fulham in recent times.

In 2021, the Gunners moved to poach Mika Biereth after the striker scored 21 goals in 21 games to fire the Cottagers to the Under-18 Premier League South title.

The Dane is now on loan at RKC Waalwijk over in the Netherlands, and Arsenal have high hopes for him.

After also losing Harvey Elliott and Fabio Carvalho to Fulham, we feel the Cottagers need to change something at Academy level, or else they risk losing more gems to their Premier League rivals.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/09/21/news-coming-from-arsenal-now-makes-fulham-look-very-silly-our-view/

WhiteJC

Premier League Statement

At a Premier League Shareholders' Meeting today, clubs unanimously agreed to introduce minimum-length bans for supporters who take part in anti-social and criminal behaviours at League stadiums.

Fans caught carrying or activating pyrotechnics or smoke bombs, or entering the pitch without permission, will receive an automatic club ban with a minimum term of one year.

These bans could also be extended to accompanying parents or guardians of children who take part in such activities.

This policy is effective immediately and the ban is applicable to both home and away matches.

The Premier League, The FA and the EFL introduced new measures and stronger sanctions ahead of this season to address fan behaviour issues at matches (read more here).

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2022/september/21/premier-league-statement/

WhiteJC

Fulham's Flying Start to Life in the Premier League Under Marco Silva

Fulham have made a flying start on their Premier League return and hold sixth position as the international break arrives.

"It has been really good," said head coach Marco Silva, discussing his side's form after their comeback win over Nottingham Forest. "I have to be honest of course. I have to say as well some games in the beginning of the season we should have got more points because we deserved it.

"It is the start of the season; we go into the international break with confidence then we prepare for the next match. There are lot of fights ahead of us but we are happy with how we started and we have to keep going."

Fulham have bounced between the first and second divisions in each of the last five seasons but their recent performances have left everyone asking the same question: maybe there will be a different ending to their Premier League adventure this time around?

In their final match before the international break, Silva's side turned the contest on its head with a five-minute spell of complete domination, typifying their new streetwiseness at the elite level. However, it was a rehearsed set-piece routine that set them on their way, with central defender Tosin Adarabioyo converting Willian's corner kick.

ulham's leveller at the City Ground was just the latest example of their dead-ball prowess, which – as they led the Championship in set-play goals last season – should come as no surprise. The play starts with Aleksandar Mitrovic (FUL9) and Adarabioyo (FUL4) on the edge of the penalty area, marked by Scott McKenna (NFO26) and Ryan Yates (NFO22). Just before the ball is struck, Adarabioyo swings behind Mitrovic, who steps into Yates' path.

With the pick initiated, Adarabioyo charges into an empty pocket of space behind the penalty spot and find himself unmarked as Willian's cross arrives. Virtually unopposed, he leaps into the air and beats Dean Henderson (NFO1) with a commanding header. With the fixture tied, Fulham smelt blood. João Palhinha fired the West London outfit ahead just three minutes later, beating Henderson from the top of the box.

The 27-year-old, acquired from Sporting CP for £12.7 million in the summer, has played a crucial role in his team's impressive start. Paired with Harrison Reed in central midfield, Palhinha is a box-to-box influence with the skill and football intelligence to support his impeccable work rate.

"We knew when we were signing him that he would be a plus for us, for our squad; on the ball, off the ball, set pieces as well," Silva said of the Portugal international after his debut. "It's good to see the players take positives from something that we spent a long time on in the week." Palhinha, an instant hit with supporters and player personnel at Craven Cottage, boasts an impressive advanced statistics résumé, provided by Wyscout.

When asked about his defensive midfielder's strike versus Nottingham Forest, Silva added: "To see our No. 6 arriving to score that goal shows our philosophy and shows our ambition as a team. The work [our midfielders] do without the ball is really important, too." Palhinha has proven to be a steal for Fulham, not least due to his role in unlocking Reed, who scored the match-winner in the East Midlands.

The play starts with Mitrovic corralling possession on the halfway line. Reed (FUL 6) senses the opportunity to break into the final third once Bobby De Cordova-Reid (FUL14) receives the ball and chargers towards the penalty area.

Seconds before the cross is played, Willian (FUL20) swaps positions with Reed and runs towards the near post. The Brazilian's movement occupies McKenna and Renan Lodi (NFO32), granting Reed freedom of the far post in the process.  De Cordova-Reid's cross is perfect. Reed scores.

Fulham, on the evidence of their first seven matches of the season, are a team on the rise under Silva. They have learned from previous mistakes, developed into a tactically cohesive unit, and push into the second phase of the campaign under relatively little pressure.

After the international break, the Cottagers have a rare opportunity to consolidate their top-half position. They face Newcastle United next, with fixtures against West Ham, AFC Bournemouth, Aston Villa, Leeds United, and Everton to follow. That's six winnable contests in a row.

With that said, Fulham could be all but safe in time for the World Cup – such has been the scale of their improvement this season. While there is still work to do for Silva and his squad, their trajectory is promising. Welcome to a new era of stability at the Cottage. It's been a while.

https://breakingthelines.com/tactical-analysis/fulhams-flying-start-to-life-in-the-premier-league-under-marco-silva/